HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 10:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post

Also, what ever happened to that 50 story high rise (kind of resembled the Legacy) that was proposed for Evanston a few years ago? I'm guessing it's completely dead by now but I remember that the plans were altered and resubmitted but haven't heard anything about it since then...
it's dead. Last fall the developers applied for a 3 year extension on the approval, but evanston's city council has turned a lot more NIMBY than when the project was first approved 5 years ago, so the extension was denied and the developers have since walked away.

you can read the entire 17 page saga of evanston's now-dead fountain square tower in the following thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166005

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:15 AM
Chicago Kid

Glen Ellyn was only mentined one time indirectly in this thread. I've grown up in the Chicago suburbs and been to all the downtowns. This one is the best by far to me and has the most New England charm.

I love that no one talks about it and its off everyones radar yet it is still so close to the city and nearby Oakbrook/Schaumburg/Naperville.

Perfect suburb. Best in Chicagoland.

If I had to put a #2 it would probably be Geneva or of course a North Shore one. I tend to weigh against the North Shore suburbs in favor of the quieter Western Suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 5:11 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, Glen Ellyn's a sleeper for sure. It's a nice place with great housing stock but I don't think it's as pleasant as Hubbard Woods or Hinsdale from an urban design standpoint. And other downtowns like Elmhurst and Naperville have more entertainment and bustle. I do love me some Barone's pizza though...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:21 PM

LaGrange has compact downtown with plenty of local shopping centered around a Metra station with tons of service to the Loop, and a short drive to Midway if your a frequent business traveler. And some nice architecture including Sears catalog four squares and craftsmen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:42 AM
MPLSXCHI

Relating back to the posts about Oak Park. I honestly don't know why anybody would want develop buildings for residential use. The way leases, and licenses are handled are SO DIFFICULT to even do. Plus the commercial taxes are through the roof, there is a building with a vacant spot for about 6 months now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:16 AM
MPLSXCHI

4 Developers looking at South and Harlem sight (Oak Park)

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles...South-project/

Quote:
The village of Oak Park is considering five proposals from four developers for the village-owned property at the intersection of Harlem Avenue and South Boulevard.

All five proposals for the mixed-use development would include ground-floor retail space. The developers and development teams submitting proposals are: Urban R2; Lincoln Properties and LPC Contractors; Argent Group, Harlem Irving Group, Urban Innovations and Strategic Development Partners; and North American Properties and Urban Street.

The height of the buildings proposed ranges from nine to fourteen stories and the ground-floor retail space footprint ranges from 8,465 to 60,752 square feet.

The proposals call for 204 to 300 residential rental units, and all include a mix of market-rate and affordable units. The project is estimated to cost between $40.8 million and $69.3 million.

All five proposals would be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified.

Village administrators presented basic information about the proposals last week, emphasizing that they are still in the early stages of development and could change significantly over the next few months.

"I want to stress that what you're seeing here is the first iteration of what that developer has envisioned," said Loretta Daly, village business services manager.

The first-time look at the proposals revealed some surprises.

Developer Urban R2 is working with internationally acclaimed architect Helmut Jahn, known in Chicago for designing the James R. Thompson Center at 100 W. Randolph St.

Another revelation came from Argent Group, which presented two scenarios that include a 47,523- to 60,752-square-foot, ground-level grocery store.

An unnamed source close to the Argent proposal said in a telephone interview that the company has reached out to national grocery chains, which have expressed interest in the site, but the source added that Argent would not build the space without securing a tenant.

The size of the retail space proposed by the remaining three developers is smaller, with North American Properties at 8,465 square feet, Lincoln Properties at 10,000 square feet and Urban R2 at 14,398 square feet.

Brad Friedman, executive vice president with Urban R2, said in a telephone interview that the development team envisions possibly two white tablecloth restaurants and service-oriented businesses such as FedEx or a doctor's office.

The number of rental units offered in the proposals varied by almost 100. Urban R2 would build 204 units; North American Properties, 205; Lincoln Properties, 250; and Argent Group, 300.

Friedman described the design by Jahn as a modern structure of glass and steel with inset balconies that bring in natural sunlight. He said the development team reached out to a couple of architects for the project "and Helmut was very interested."

"We thought it would be really cool to bring that critically acclaimed architect into the project and see what he came up with," Friedman said.

Representatives of North American Properties and Lincoln Properties could not be reached for comment by press time.

The unnamed source close to the Urban R2 project said the team presented the village with two options because under one scenario, the project would incorporate adjacent buildings to the south.

The source said everything in both proposals is negotiable, echoing Daly's observation that the project is still in the early stages of development.

Village Planner Craig Failor said at a public meeting on Friday that the village is using the Oak Park Master Plan, a guide for development in the community approved in 2005, as a roadmap for the project. He noted, however, that the plan was developed prior to the financial crash of 2008.

The 20-year master plan aims to bring 1,200 new housing units to the downtown area by 2015. Failor said 330 units were built within the first five years of the plan, and the proposed development at Lake and Forest would bring another 270 units.

The master plan calls for a four-story development at the Harlem and South site, but the shortest development proposed would more than double the stories.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:25 PM

Went back to the hometown of Glenview today and snapped a few shots. I remember we were trying to get a suburban roundup thread going, but can't be sure I'm currently in the correct thread.

There is an urban multi-use project underway right next to the commuter station:

Info and rendering for this project here:
http://glenview.suntimes.com/news/mi...162014:article

Equally exciting is a new grocery store in a surprisingly urban format, meeting the street with parking in the back:

Info and renderings about the project here:
http://glenview.suntimes.com/news/bu...292013:article

All in all, two pretty good developments for a suburban downtown that could use a little kick in the pants.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:17 PM
TL;DR

Yeah Glenview is one of the few inner-ring suburbs with significant redevelopment pressure; the demand is enough to make things like structured parking work financially, so a whole range of smaller sites can be redeveloped. It's not all great, though... the much-debated Avon redevelopment is just more suburban crap.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah Glenview is one of the few inner-ring suburbs with significant redevelopment pressure; the demand is enough to make things like structured parking work financially, so a whole range of smaller sites can be redeveloped. It's not all great, though... the much-debated Avon redevelopment is just more suburban crap.
This is a Mariano's correct? I remember seeing an ugly site plan. Even worse, it is actually pretty proximate to transit - although the Golf station has much more of a neighborhood vibe, unlikely to ever develop into a dense node.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:13 AM
TL;DR

There is a multi-family building planned with 238 units across from the Golf station on the Avon property. The retail portion is a waste though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 9:49 PM

North ave in Melrose park is very urban. one spot on this street has a burger joint, hot dog stand, pizza place, Chinese food, sushi, Italian food, and gelato cafe all within a block of each other.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9087..._gesIdZl_w!2e0

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 12:49 PM
The City

^ I've been on the Metra a few times in the last few weeks, and observed that the Golf station project is already under construction.

I"m not sure if it's the same thing Ardecila is referring to, but right outside the Metra windows at the Golf station stop is a pretty sizable multifamily project U/C.

I know that we aren't Washington DC, but I actually don't think Chicagoland is doing too bad with TOD in the suburbs. I have visited many suburbs over the years, and a lot of them have a good number of newish multiunit buildings near their Metra stations. Some towns are doing a better job at this than others, of course, but Glenview, Golf, Naperville, Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Northbrook, Downers Grove are at least a few that come to mind that have really taken advantage of real estate around their trains stations.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 1:24 PM

Oak Park

Yet another endangered surface lot ....

And a perfectly horrible garage along with a very forgettable 1 story set of shops ..... just a vague memory.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

There is a proposal to demo that horrible building to the right of 1010 Lake St and build a mixed-used apartment complex in its place. It will be directly across the street from the currently under construction tower.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I've been on the Metra a few times in the last few weeks, and observed that the Golf station project is already under construction.

I"m not sure if it's the same thing Ardecila is referring to, but right outside the Metra windows at the Golf station stop is a pretty sizable multifamily project U/C.

I know that we aren't Washington DC, but I actually don't think Chicagoland is doing too bad with TOD in the suburbs. I have visited many suburbs over the years, and a lot of them have a good number of newish multiunit buildings near their Metra stations. Some towns are doing a better job at this than others, of course, but Glenview, Golf, Naperville, Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Northbrook, Downers Grove are at least a few that come to mind that have really taken advantage of real estate around their trains stations.
Yeah, but the numbers don't check out. Many of those Metra stations saw declining ridership, and the downtown census tracts often saw population losses, despite new TOD going up. Downtown Arlington Heights is usually held up as the model, but it lost population from 2000-2010, just as those towers were going up.

Des Plaines did see a notable population jump, but they have also made a compromise that most suburbs would find unacceptable, replacing long blocks of single-family homes with 6-8 story apartment buildings.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
North ave in Melrose park is very urban. one spot on this street has a burger joint, hot dog stand, pizza place, Chinese food, sushi, Italian food, and gelato cafe all within a block of each other.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9087..._gesIdZl_w!2e0
That image shows River Forest on the left and Elmwood Park (with all the restaurants) on the right. Melrose Park is another mile down the road.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
That image shows River Forest on the left and Elmwood Park (with all the restaurants) on the right. Melrose Park is another mile down the road.
The closed Dominick's in River Forest. on the Right (S) .

Auto centric as hades - I don't think I'd hold up North Ave / River Forest / Elmwoood Park as my top model in urbanity.

A few miles west (across the river) is Melrose park and Wingate Plaza ;-)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Sorry, only ever been there last week

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 7:41 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I haven't seen the new development around Golf but I would have to disagree with you about Northbrook and Naperville. Northbrook's downtown in particular is a disaster.

I would agree with you on Arlington Heights, Des Plaines, and Glenview finally putting through plans to turn the corner.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 2:10 AM

Ardecila, do you know anything about the decision-making process to do that in Des Plaines?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development