HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Is the branded LIRR train a special service? That needs to happen. Most big and important cities around the world have a train line that has an airport branding on it. This will help. The same should be for JFK. There needs to be a branded train to JFK for tourists especially that has more baggage capacity and faster service.
Agreed for the JFK part, but people want a park in a row that once ran as the LIRR all the way to Rockaway. Wish either LIRR or the subway would take over the row. Off topic it would be also great for people in the Rockaways as transportation alternative.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Is the branded LIRR train a special service? That needs to happen. Most big and important cities around the world have a train line that has an airport branding on it. This will help. The same should be for JFK. There needs to be a branded train to JFK for tourists especially that has more baggage capacity and faster service.
I dunno. Port Washington already runs 30-minute headways off peak and on weekends, so maybe the Port Authority thinks they can get away without adding any actual new service to the LIRR so long as every train is made to stop at Willets Point. LIRR trains would run more frequently during peak, and off-peak riders would also have the option of taking the 7 to Willets if they don't wanna wait 30 minutes. If that's the case, then forget about branded LIRR trains.

Comparable services like London's Heathrow Express run every 15 minutes, at all times, 7 days a week, so if the Port Authority wants to do that, they will need to purchase more trains for the Port Washington Branch and then they very well might have special branding, but only on every second train. Leonardo Express in Rome has a lower frequency closer to 30 minutes, but Roman public transport shouldn't be the best practice for NY...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dunno. Port Washington already runs 30-minute headways off peak and on weekends, so maybe the Port Authority thinks they can get away without adding any actual new service to the LIRR so long as every train is made to stop at Willets Point. LIRR trains would run more frequently during peak, and off-peak riders would also have the option of taking the 7 to Willets if they don't wanna wait 30 minutes. If that's the case, then forget about branded LIRR trains.

Comparable services like London's Heathrow Express run every 15 minutes, at all times, 7 days a week, so if the Port Authority wants to do that, they will need to purchase more trains for the Port Washington Branch and then they very well might have special branding, but only on every second train. Leonardo Express in Rome has a lower frequency closer to 30 minutes, but Roman public transport shouldn't be the best practice for NY...
Not too bad then. I think it would be helpful though because they could market it with amenities for airport pax like extra baggage storage, newspapers, coffee, drinks, etc., etc. Heathrow Express, you know? It works well in London.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:32 PM

The glass is going up along the front curtain wall of the new Terminal B. It looks stunning.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:33 AM

July Pictures on Flickr

July Update

Some good pictures of the glass going up.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 9:35 PM

I have a question. I notice that in the first photo, there is steel going up on top of util building. Does that mean they're going forward with the hotel or just to create structure if they can find someone to finance.

https://twitter.com/JonZeig/status/1026579184926294018

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
I have a question. I notice that in the first photo, there is steel going up on top of util building. Does that mean they're going forward with the hotel or just to create structure if they can find someone to finance.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:35 PM

Any news construction photos? Can we see it?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lots of activity making LaGuardia better!

Credit: https://twitter.com/LGAairport

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:39 AM
Show me the blueprints

The modernization is great news, I just wish it was coinciding with a Rikers Island incorporation and extension of N/W train to underneath the terminal.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:14 AM

^
Rikers Island will be redeveloped in a few years, so there's hope. Supposedly housing is off the table.

I would not expect direct subway service to the terminals anytime soon, due to the Airtrain project and NIMBY opposition that derailed plans 20 years ago. Airtrain to subway/LIRR should be sufficient.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:02 PM
TL;DR

TBH I think the best move in the future is to simply extend the LGA Airtrain down the Grand Central Parkway to meet the N/W at Astoria Blvd. Basically make the Airtrain a full-fledged shuttle line of the subway system, maybe with a local station in the west part of Astoria somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:57 PM

Hi all,

First Gates in LGA redevelopment to set open this weekend!

Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and Air Canada will moved into new gates.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transp...ates-laguardia

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hi all,

First Gates in LGA redevelopment to set open this weekend!

Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and Air Canada will moved into new gates.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transp...ates-laguardia
Great to know. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:08 PM

Very interesting idea above to extend the Airtrain to meet the N/W at Astoria Blvd. That whole intersection, however, is such a nightmare already that I fear trying to fit in a rail connection will just make it that much worse. I say a little prayer every time I exit the GCP and have to cross Triboro Bridge-bound traffic toward Hoyt Avenue.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Still a completely inferior option compared to extending a one-seat ride on the N/W. But an extended N/W is so obvious and makes way too much since so why would that ever happen? Let's blow a $B bill on a hideous GC stradling monster instead of a extended N/W subway because that's the NY way.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Still a completely inferior option compared to extending a one-seat ride on the N/W. But an extended N/W is so obvious and makes way too much since so why would that ever happen? Let's blow a $B bill on a hideous GC stradling monster instead of a extended N/W subway because that's the NY way.
I think this has been covered in this thread, but A. Airlines are paying for this (so taxpayers are "blowing" nothing), B. An extended subway would have to go underground, costing taxpayers megabillions, C. Extended subway would have no connection to LIRR and D. N/W have worse capacity issues than LIRR and QB line subway trains.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think this has been covered in this thread, but A. Airlines are paying for this (so taxpayers are "blowing" nothing), B. An extended subway would have to go underground, costing taxpayers megabillions, C. Extended subway would have no connection to LIRR and D. N/W have worse capacity issues than LIRR and QB line subway trains.
Yes, at a mere 1.5B (probably shoot above $2B somehow) the LGA AirTrain is quite the bargain.

This whole plan is so fucking stupid.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's no way to build transit that's for sure.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

LIRR connectivity notwithstanding, i am convinced that pretty much every other first world city not only would extend a line like the Astoria Line to an airport like LGA, but probably would keep going to a place like College Point to maximize ROI.

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development