HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
It wouldn't be free; the cost would just be borne as taxes. And since it would be a eservice used mainly be a segment of the population (airline passengers) that skews wealthy, it would amount to a subsidy for better-off folks.
obvs i meant free to riders, as it was in the case of the pre-airtrain busses. thats part of an airport tax. so not a tax on everybody, only flyers. but since the bus era has passed and the airtrain is here, it would be nice if monthly, ie. regular local riders, could use it with their metrocards instead of the high fee.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I wold be overjoyed to see AirTrain extended to LGA. I book into JFK because of the transport options, often at a hefty premium to going into LGA.
If your destination is Manhattan, JFK has the worst transit options.

LGA is the closest to Manhattan by transit, then Newark, then JFK. Probably once the PATH is fully extended to Newark, it will be even more convenient than LGA, but, until then LGA is a quicker route, even if it's by bus or by bus/rail. The new bus line is nonstop to the train.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. The El would have to be widened a bit south the station, and it would have to be double decked over the station. It could then be split out over the station and Astoria and Hoyt Aves (there a little triangle there that would give right of way), and taken out over the Grand Central. The LGA trains would not stop at the Astoria Blvd station.

It would be the normal construction nightmare for a project of this magnitude. But being someone who's living through the Second Ave Subway construction, there are some thing you just have to put up with.

It could be done, and it would impact few enough people that it could get passed.
Messing AT ALL with the elevated will bring people out of the woodwork in Astoria. You are vastly underestimating the political opposition this would run into.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

LGA is the closest to Manhattan by transit, then Newark, then JFK. Probably once the PATH is fully extended to Newark, it will be even more convenient than LGA, but, until then LGA is a quicker route, even if it's by bus or by bus/rail. The new bus line is nonstop to the train.
I don't want to risk traffic if flying close to rush, which I often have to do. My destination is generally midtown or downtown Brooklyn on about a 50-50 basis.

Newark would become a more attractive option when PATH is extended.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:56 AM

The PA just announced a few days ago that they are going to extend the PATH to EWR.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1601857

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The PA just announced a few days ago that they are going to extend the PATH to EWR.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1601857
It's going to cost them 1.5 billion dollars and take them 10 years to build two miles of above ground track?

Are you kidding me?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 7:01 PM

Doing this way would make the disruption so localized that it could get through, especially as the deficiencies of the NY airports are becoming a bigger issue. How many city council, state assembly, state senate, and congressional districts would be disrupted? Likely one of each. That wouldn't be enough to stop it.

Quote:
Messing AT ALL with the elevated will bring people out of the woodwork in Astoria. You are vastly underestimating the political opposition this would run into.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 7:15 PM

Whenever I go to JFK now (from the UES of Manhattan), I use the Airtrain. This works pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Whenever I go to JFK now (from the UES of Manhattan), I use the Airtrain. This works pretty well.
The Airtrain is fine, I just wish there was a non-stop option from one of Manhattans major transit hubs.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Doing this way would make the disruption so localized that it could get through, especially as the deficiencies of the NY airports are becoming a bigger issue. How many city council, state assembly, state senate, and congressional districts would be disrupted? Likely one of each. That wouldn't be enough to stop it.
The logic doesn't matter. If any proposal includes additional elevated structure (no matter how minimal) in Astoria it is DOA. NIMBYs will use the original N extension plan to whip up opposition....the same kind that successfully killed the earlier proposal.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The Airtrain is fine, I just wish there was a non-stop option from one of Manhattans major transit hubs.
The AirTrain ROW was designed to accept a (yet to be designed) hybrid rolling stock comparable with LIRR. Such service would not be out of the question in the future.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:54 PM

You're wrong. Especially with Cuomo behind an LGA redevelopment, and it getting attention to the national level. What local opposition there may be can be crushed.

Quote:
The logic doesn't matter. If any proposal includes additional elevated structure (no matter how minimal) in Astoria it is DOA. NIMBYs will use the original N extension plan to whip up opposition....the same kind that successfully killed the earlier proposal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Apparently our beloved vice president is not a fan of LGA

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1604900
I was quite offended by our VP saying what he did. He needed to be far more tactful. A person can make a point without being offensive or insulting. New Yorkers (and others) have their differences with LaGuardia, but they still love their hometown airport. LaGuardia isn't 3rd world, it's a busy airport that is hemmed in. New York City is in a league all by itself, it's huge, massive, difficulties are multiplied by simply the sheer size. NYC will be able to handle this situation, just let them do it.

The state of New York shouldn't be taking over the airports, either.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
I don't want to risk traffic if flying close to rush, which I often have to do. My destination is generally midtown or downtown Brooklyn on about a 50-50 basis.
Well ok, but the bus to LGA doesn't run in traffic; it's primarily in an exclusive bus lane. They're doing the same on 125th Street for the M60 bus to LGA.

I don't see why a nonstop bus in a bus lane is more subject to traffic than a train making all kinds of stops, and subject to train traffic.

Quote:
Agreed, you can already take NJ Transit from Penn Station to the airport, but PATH will be cheaper and more convenient from downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRE View Post
I was quite offended by our VP saying what he did. He needed to be far more tactful. A person can make a point without being offensive or insulting. New Yorkers (and others) have their differences with LaGuardia, but they still love their hometown airport. LaGuardia isn't 3rd world, it's a busy airport that is hemmed in. New York City is in a league all by itself, it's huge, massive, difficulties are multiplied by simply the sheer size. NYC will be able to handle this situation, just let them do it.

The state of New York shouldn't be taking over the airports, either.
are you kidding me? LaGuardia is a SHITHOLE and a disgrace to NYC. It needs to be completely demolished and re-made. I hope this redevelopment project happens ASAP. I'm from NJ, but I've flown out of and into LaGuardia many times. It feels like a third world country.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

It would. Less waiting times, and generally no where near as busy.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
are you kidding me? LaGuardia is a SHITHOLE and a disgrace to NYC. It needs to be completely demolished and re-made. I hope this redevelopment project happens ASAP. I'm from NJ, but I've flown out of and into LaGuardia many times. It feels like a third world country.
I love NYC, but I gotta agree with you, the airports in general are in need of modernization. I have flown to Madrid's Barajas, Barcelona's El Prat Airport, Reagan Airport in Arlington County., and Charles de Gaulle in Paris, and I always say wow when I'm there. Those airports are just nice, and seem so luxurious. Then I return back to the states, and see airports with carpet, instead of marble floors. As one of the few Alpha cities out there, NYC should have something respectful.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I love NYC, but I gotta agree with you, the airports in general are in need of modernization. I have flown to Madrid's Barajas, Barcelona's El Prat Airport, Reagan Airport in Arlington County., and Charles de Gaulle in Paris, and I always say wow when I'm there. Those airports are just nice, and seem so luxurious. Then I return back to the states, and see airports with carpet, instead of marble floors. As one of the few Alpha cities out there, NYC should have something respectful.
Hear Hear!!! You are right my good sir! By jove, the sorry sate of infrastructure is appalling in what is the most important city in the USA. Have you traveled through the airports in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Savannah, GA? Far better. I thought aviation was at least one area that Americans actually valued though, so it surprises me that NYC has such a second rate airport.. Laguardia's main terminal is the penn station of aviation, now that JFK terminal 3 is gone. I bet the new design will look modest though, i'm not expecting any Barajas or CDG splendor on the east river sadly given the current political climate. It might not even approach Reagan. I'm expecting a slightly more upscale version of JFK T5, hopefully i'll be shocked and will be eating crow when Hadid builds her terminal that could be mistaken for a terminal built in 2050, but i'm just dreaming

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Hear Hear!!! You are right my good sir! By jove, the sorry sate of infrastructure is appalling in what is the most important city in the USA. Have you traveled through the airports in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Savannah, GA? Far better. I thought aviation was at least one area that Americans actually valued though, so it surprises me that NYC has such a second rate airport.. Laguardia's main terminal is the penn station of aviation, now that JFK terminal 3 is gone. I bet the new design will look modest though, i'm not expecting any Barajas or CDG splendor on the east river sadly given the current political climate. It might not even approach Reagan. I'm expecting a slightly more upscale version of JFK T5, hopefully i'll be shocked and will be eating crow when Hadid builds her terminal that could be mistaken for a terminal built in 2050, but i'm just dreaming
agreed 100pct. It's disgraceful that NYC has something as atrocious as LaGuardia. It seriously looks worse than some 3rd world countries. Even archaic airports in India are starting to look better than LaGuardia. And trust me, India was pretty bad 5-6 years ago. The new terminal just opened last week in Mumbai is ridiculous looking! and this is INDIA, considered a 3rd world country by most people's standards.

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/203258.html

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 10:02 PM
Community Guy

Logan's one terminal gives it a run for its money.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development