HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:27 PM

The thing is, one that interchange opens, past it will no longer be Highway 11. This goes against all practice or precedent for Regina, but they’re going to have to come up with something to call it, like 11A.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
The thing is, one that interchange opens, past it will no longer be Highway 11. This goes against all practice or precedent for Regina, but they’re going to have to come up with something to call it, like 11A.
It is definitely going to be significantly different for a lot folks, especially those who will take the signage at face value, and don't question it. However I believe is the hope is that truckers southbound on 11 will go right and around the city on the bypass to #1 EB and WB and 6 South.

And I no doubt believe this will work, especially during the day when driving through regina could subject them to traffic lights and trains, and "severe" traffic. As remember traffic only gets more and more each year.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
It is definitely going to be significantly different for a lot folks, especially those who will take the signage at face value, and don't question it. However I believe is the hope is that truckers southbound on 11 will go right and around the city on the bypass to #1 EB and WB and 6 South.

And I no doubt believe this will work, especially during the day when driving through regina could subject them to traffic lights and trains, and "severe" traffic. As remember traffic only gets more and more each year.
Just so long as tourist traffic can find services. I’m sure will see those blue Alberta-style service signs go up, as they have (to the point of overkill) on the 1 East corridor.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Just so long as tourist traffic can find services. I’m sure will see those blue Alberta-style service signs go up, as they have (to the point of overkill) on the 1 East corridor.
No doubt. However that is one of the big drivers of Westerra. Access to services from the Dewdney and Pinky Road interchanges. Hotels, gas and food are all going in there. Tims is already there no doubt there will be McDonalds and others there in the next year or so.

Also the building of Aurora off Tower Road interchange. Same thinking. Won't be long me thinks till we development near highway 6 and the bypass.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
No doubt. However that is one of the big drivers of Westerra. Access to services from the Dewdney and Pinky Road interchanges. Hotels, gas and food are all going in there. Tims is already there no doubt there will be McDonalds and others there in the next year or so.

Also the building of Aurora off Tower Road interchange. Same thinking. Won't be long me thinks till we development near highway 6 and the bypass.
But I’m looking at it from the perspective of North Albert businesses who aren’t going to like it if all the incoming traffic from Saskatoon is suddenly diverted away.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:51 PM

I would think the WRB would be the preferred route from Highway 11 to Mosaic Stadium and Evraz Place and maybe even downtown.

Regarding the #6 interchange, it is not clear that there will be an access or service roads.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
But I’m looking at it from the perspective of North Albert businesses who aren’t going to like it if all the incoming traffic from Saskatoon is suddenly diverted away.
I agree they won't like it, but there will be enough local traffic and population around to keep most if not all relevant. However The status quo in Regina is going to change. It will suck for some and will be a boon for others, and they shall have to adapt to the new normal.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I agree they won't like it, but there will be enough local traffic and population around to keep most if not all relevant. However The status quo in Regina is going to change. It will suck for some and will be a boon for others, and they shall have to adapt to the new normal.
But there’s no reason to ACTIVELY KILL those businesses when you could call it a business spur, like on any interstate, and make leisure travellers aware of its existence.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I would think the WRB would be the preferred route from Highway 11 to Mosaic Stadium and Evraz Place and maybe even downtown.

Regarding the #6 interchange, it is not clear that there will be an access or service roads.
Cowwessess owns the land on the South East corner of the #6 interchange. There is a service road along their quarter of land and they are rumoured to have plans to at least build some kind of truck stop. The major issue for any development south of the #1 highway is water. The RM of Sherwood can't find a water source South of Regina to supply potential development. There is a pipeline supplying farms in the area, but its not big enough to supply commercial users.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
But there’s no reason to ACTIVELY KILL those businesses when you could call it a business spur, like on any interstate, and make leisure travellers aware of its existence.
I don't believe there was any malice behind the naming on the sign. Something may change later.

On another note Armour Road between Pinky and Condie shall be closing for a month to do the tie ins. During this period a detour will be in place over the newly opened 9th Avenue interchange bridge. So by end of September both 9th and Dewdney bridges will be usable!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:00 PM

Big update to google maps today... maybe they know something we don't? Including the extension to highway 6 north?! Hahaha

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Big update to google maps today... maybe they know something we don't? Including the extension to highway 6 north?! Hahaha
I don't see the north leg, just the south half of the WRB and the south Bypass. At least the nav does not send you on the south Bypass.

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 2, 2018 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
I think you meant 6 South. Oddly, it shows no interchange there, nor at Hill, Rotary, or Dewdney.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
I think you meant 6 South. Oddly, it shows no interchange there, nor at Hill, Rotary, or Dewdney.
They updated it, was showing all the way to 11... and beyond. But yes no interchanges. I am sure it'll be corrected

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
They updated it, was showing all the way to 11... and beyond. But yes no interchanges. I am sure it'll be corrected
Gotcha.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:46 PM

The bypass is 90 per cent complete. Still one more year of work ahead, they’re saying. My guess is that nothing else opens this year except possibly the Dewdney overpass.

http://www.reginabypass.ca/regina-by...e-90-complete/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:16 PM

They very clearly say the leg south of 33 will not open early. This was entirely predictable as there is no extra money to pay them to maintain it for an extra year.

Also, why is Highway 11 still 60kph and choked?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:42 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I'm still curious if they are going to give the Bypass an official street name. I've already suggested Thunderchild Road (or Way) to city council, and they loved it, but told me that since it's owned by the provincial government it is up to them.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They very clearly say the leg south of 33 will not open early. This was entirely predictable as there is no extra money to pay them to maintain it for an extra year.

Also, why is Highway 11 still 60kph and choked?
I believe they are installing an automated weigh scale

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I believe they are installing an automated weigh scale
That has been completed in both directions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan