HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:49 PM
Detroit rebirth

Definitely a concern that other then the Detroit Life Building exterior work nothing from phase two has begun. Also the new LC HQ seems to be taking forever to complete. It feels like the momentum is lost.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:41 PM

I agree, I've lost all enthusiasm for the LCHQ.

It's so frustrating that Olympia continues to build surface parking lots and parking garages throughout the area. Yet they stall on the big-time projects that they promised.

Why am I not surprised?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:18 PM

To be fair, their priority from the get-go was the stadium. Even in the years of speculation before we knew where it was going to be, everyone saw the new stadium coming from a mile away. Everything else was secondary and announced at about the same the stadium was pretty much finalized and ready for construction. I would have been more surprised if the other projects also got built at the same time, though I was definitely hopeful that they'd happen.

Honestly, I was cautiously skeptical that they would happen at the same time because at the time of announcement, Detroit was already seeing a boom in residential construction that looked close to peaking or at the very least, was leveling off. The amount of residential Olympia had in mind would definitely over saturate the market and cause rent prices to tumble. So the residential components of District Detroit was something I never expected to see happen anytime soon.

I am surprised about the LCHQ though. It is supposed to be finished by now. The webcams show they're still working on the exterior of the ground floors and parts of the interior, but I get the sense there's an issue with the pizza-shaped window panes. The only information I've found out about them is that they're made in Mexico but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue since the windows would be made and bought already. Maybe the unique shape is causing some unforeseen changes because of the weather? I dunno, it's pretty perplexing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
To be fair, their priority from the get-go was the stadium. Even in the years of speculation before we knew where it was going to be, everyone saw the new stadium coming from a mile away. Everything else was secondary and announced at about the same the stadium was pretty much finalized and ready for construction. I would have been more surprised if the other projects also got built at the same time, though I was definitely hopeful that they'd happen.

Honestly, I was cautiously skeptical that they would happen at the same time because at the time of announcement, Detroit was already seeing a boom in residential construction that looked close to peaking or at the very least, was leveling off. The amount of residential Olympia had in mind would definitely over saturate the market and cause rent prices to tumble. So the residential components of District Detroit was something I never expected to see happen anytime soon.

I am surprised about the LCHQ though. It is supposed to be finished by now. The webcams show they're still working on the exterior of the ground floors and parts of the interior, but I get the sense there's an issue with the pizza-shaped window panes. The only information I've found out about them is that they're made in Mexico but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue since the windows would be made and bought already. Maybe the unique shape is causing some unforeseen changes because of the weather? I dunno, it's pretty perplexing.
That's a fair point. However, I'd like for them to give an update on the process, since they announced their change of plans for those structures back in April.

Olympia has done some good things for the city. But they've also low-balled downtown with the final results of their "vision". Their communication department is horrible.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:20 AM

So the new parking garage that sits behind the School of Business is actually the "Temple West" project that Olympia announced back in December.

There's a rendering of it on the previous page of this thread. When it was first presented, it was billed as a parking and commercial development with possible residential units.

To no surprise, only the parking section of the structure has been complete. The store frontage on the first floor and accompanying office space haven't been built - and one can assume that they never will be.

Once again, Olympia has built a parking garage that was planned to be much more.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:07 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...itch-companies

Big promises for a thriving urban core in Detroit vanish in a swath of parking lots

Quote:
Along the streets leading to Detroit’s recently minted Little Caesars Arena, colorful banners hang from temporary fencing, informing visitors they have arrived in the District Detroit. The neighborhood holds “a dynamic mix of shopping and dining” with “places to live in the heart of the action”, the signage reads. The banners depict a thriving urban core with smiling families holding hands while well-dressed people drink under patio lights.

Beyond the fencing, the landscape isn’t quite so lively. There are few places to live in the District, and little to eat. Vacant, decaying buildings make up entire city blocks. There are almost no lights, save for those illuminating surface lots and parking garages.

Last edited by LMich; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM. Reason: Please post more than a link.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1995 View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...itch-companies

Big promises for a thriving urban core in Detroit vanish in a swath of parking lots
Not so nice.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:08 PM

Looks like the webcam on the District Detroit's website has been taken down. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! I really hope that they'll put one up for the DMC Sports Medicine Building.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:16 AM

So we now finally have some reasoning on why the Little Ceaser's HQ has been seeing delays. Unsurprisingly, it has to do with the unique shape of the windows.

Those pizza-slice windows may be delaying Little Caesars HQ opening

Allie Gross, Detroit Free Press. Oct. 16, 2018.

Quote:
A construction worker who declined to give his name for fear of job retaliation confirmed to the Free Press that the holdup had to do with issues with the unique windows.

"I don't know what exactly caused it but the glass in front was breaking because of vibrations. It was cracking so [they] had to try and figure out what was causing it and then how to stabilize it so the glass wouldn't vibrate," the construction worker said, adding that the glass began to crack almost "immediately" when installation began last winter.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/1651522002/

More troubling is the lack of honesty given by Olympia proclaiming that "everything is on track" towards completion. Almost outright denying there's any problems going on at all.

They've responded to the criticisms of their lack of progress on the neighborhood blocks by simply removing all references to them on their website. Telling people to "check back later" on updates. Obviously not good.

After a year of being open, the LCA is kind of a flop. The stadium recently decided to change the color of the seat because not enough people were filling them during broadcasted games. Turns out most people spend their time at the restaurants that at on the concourse instead of actually sitting inside the arena. Also many people complain that the arena tickets, as well as parking, is too expensive for what you get. With TVs all over the place broadcasting the game, there's not really an incentive to actually sit inside the arena. It doesn't help that either teams have been losing, but there's a lot of problems that Olympia seemed to not consider or ignore outright.

I wasn't terribly optimistic on the Illitch organization making big on their promises, but this almost seems the company is falling apart from the inside. They seem more worried about a growing image problem (which was precarious to begin with) to now a full blown PR disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if we come to find out the organization is actually losing money or at least no where near how much they expected to make.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:31 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The arena ranked among the top in attendance in the world for its first year. Like, let's stop being dramatic. Olympia does not have a problem selling out concernts and shows. As for attendance for games and fans watching from other parts of the arena, that is not hardly a LCA "problem."

District Detroit? That's a whole other issue. It's is almost undeniable that it's been a disappointment. I guess if there is anything positive is that I'm sure there is a mechanism for taking away tax incentives included in the various tax designations for the district when Olympia doesn't hit their marks.

I honestly do not get the full-on freak-out over District Detroit. Yeah, like Foxtown, it has yet to live up to what's promised, though it's certainly more than they did when they built Comerica. I could understand were it the only thing going on in town, but it's not even the only thing going on its its area of town. Not every development is going to be a homerun.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:56 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
District Detroit? That's a whole other issue. It's is almost undeniable that it's been a disappointment. I guess if there is anything positive is that I'm sure there is a mechanism for taking away tax incentives included in the various tax designations for the district when Olympia doesn't hit their marks.

I honestly do not get the full-on freak-out over District Detroit. Yeah, like Foxtown, it has yet to live up to what's promised, though it's certainly more than they did when they built Comerica. I could understand were it the only thing going on in town, but it's not even the only thing going on its its area of town. Not every development is going to be a homerun.
The problem with that line of thinking is that it sends the message that the state is cool with pretending it isn’t getting the wool pulled over its eyes every time a major economic development project is proposed with incentives. The state is taking money away from residents for corporate welfare, in a state where - lets be honest - the bottom has fallen out like few others can claim and its largest city filed for bankruptcy just a few years ago (the largest ever) - all to create a stadium, something that’s been proven to have questionable results for return on investment. There is no way to take back incentives for the stadium - that’s laughable.

The District Detroit was a deliberate attempt to detract from that last fact, providing the illusion of a greater community benefit capitalizing on this moment in history where Detroit is seeing some positive change. They sold us a story and we all bought it. And it’s super disappointing. Perhaps the most disappointing thing is seeing Gilbert deliver on promises and showing us what’s possible while Olympia continues its shitty business-as-usual antics to fuck over the people of Detroit and the state overall.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:30 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I've never expected great things out of Olympia; call it lowered expectations, but it's up to the city to negotiate better deals with stronger punative mechanisms. And like I said, while District Detroit has not nearly lived up to what was promised, this whole hyperbolic idea that Olympia is crumbling or that they've literally done nothing beyond the arena (which itself is a mixed use building). Well, I can't countenance that drama.

BTW, there most certainly are mechanism to take back various tax incentives/tax designations if a development doesn't meet specific job goals, etc. I've seen it happen before.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:59 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
So we now finally have some reasoning on why the Little Ceaser's HQ has been seeing delays. Unsurprisingly, it has to do with the unique shape of the windows.

Those pizza-slice windows may be delaying Little Caesars HQ opening

Allie Gross, Detroit Free Press. Oct. 16, 2018.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/1651522002/
The manufacturer is Guardian Glass. Among the leaders in the world when it comes to glass manufacturing. It's no secret that Guardian produced the glass, and it should have been easy for the Free Press to figure it out. And yes, they have factories in Mexico. I don't know why the article mentions that though - it has nothing to do with the glass failure. The problem lies with the gasketing and seals in-between the pieces of glass. At least, that is what I was told by a rep who works for Guardian, so of course, that might be their own ass-covering. Regardless, Ed Saenze's responses in that article are effectively saying nothing, but that shouldn't be surprising.

Last edited by deja vu; Oct 18, 2018 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:26 PM

Went to the Pistons game last weekend against Boston, and while I couldn't get a good picture (too dark), it looks like there's some equipment on the site where the DMC building is going to be.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:03 PM

Considering the large empty buildings in The District by the arena, one would think Olympia would want to partner with hotel chains and open some boutique hotels to service Olympia’s clients and downtown in general. I just can’t understand why they only see money in parking.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
Considering the large empty buildings in The District by the arena, one would think Olympia would want to partner with hotel chains and open some boutique hotels to service Olympia’s clients and downtown in general. I just can’t understand why they only see money in parking.
Low costs to build, low costs to maintain. I've seen where a 30 car parking lot can generate $600K a year. It's not that hard to make millions of dollars just off parking.

The other issue that I think isn't really reported on is that Olympia exerts strict control on companies it partners with. Other issues related to that seem to be that Olympia is very hard on their employees which doesn't make it the most attractive company to work for. It's anecdotal at most, but the feeling I get after connecting the dots is that Olympia is a very harsh company that only sees the bottom line. It might be so bad that any hotels/developers that partner with them might lose money by doing so (or at least would feel the deals were unfair).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:45 PM

White tarps/plastic has been put over the 2 stalled developments near the arena. Most likely an attempt to make it look as though something is happening with them.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:06 AM

It's just weatherproofing. Even if there's nothing planned soon, you generally don't want bare steel to be exposed to snow and ice.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development