HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:00 AM
Get me out of here

SAN FRANCISCO | Presidio Park

Presidio park project lands architect behind High Line in N.Y.

SFGate.com
John King
Tuesday, Dec 9, 2014

Quote:
A New York landscape architect will lead the design efforts for what could become one of San Francisco’s most remarkable settings, a new bluff overlooking Crissy Field.

The selection of James Corner and his firm Field Operations comes after an unusual competition where five teams were asked to submit conceptual visions for the 13 acres that will blanket two automobile tunnels now under construction. The competition was overseen by the Presidio Trust, which manages nearly all of the 1,491-acre park at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Photos: James Corner Field Operations / James Corner Field Operations

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 11:40 AM
heavy user of walkability

the article in the opening post says 2018 opening for this, but I didn't see what looked like any relevant activity yet when I was by there yesterday

edit: aha, this and this now say 2019 (and this is now called the 'Tunnel Tops' project, apparently)

Last edited by timbad; May 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM. Reason: changed first link to Presidio site

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:31 PM

^^The "relevant activity" is that they have pretty much completed the tunnel and roadway system on top of which the minor land and hard-scaping to create the park will be done--I drove through it for my first time last weekend. So now they can proceed with the park and I don't see anything they are doing that should take much time--another year (OK, year and a half) should be no problem.

They are also hard at work on the Crissey Field marsh and surrounding areas. I wanted to take some out-of-town visitors there last weekend but the construction made that very difficult and I gave up.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 7:25 PM

there is certainly work going on in the area, but I'm not sure it is specific to the Tunnel Tops. the tunnels themselves were completed and opened in 2015. I guess my point was it seemed like it was taking longer than they anticipated (or 'hoped' might be a better description), and the links posted above confirmed that.

I (as I imagine many of us do) just get impatient especially with these types of projects that promise to be such jewels when they are done.

Last edited by timbad; May 21, 2017 at 8:16 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
he marsh I believe is just renovation of the existing path, to repair rain damage and general wear-and-tear - nothing new.
It's a little more than that:

Quote:
Crissy Field construction to last through summer
By Daniel Montes
BAY CITY NEWS
PUBLISHED
February 13, 2017

San Francisco’s Crissy Field is due for a brand new promenade, and construction to rebuild the oceanfront path is set to begin in March, National Park Service officials announced Monday.

Since the promenade opened in 2001, it has degraded beyond repair due to harsh weather and high use by its more than 18 million visitors, according to park officials.

The new project, which will be implemented in four phases in order to minimize impact to visitors, will see the granite promenade converted into one made of a more durable compacted shale material.

The new trail will look and feel similar to the current one, but is expected to last longer, park officials said.

Construction is expected to last through the summer . . . .

The $5 million project was given $2.5 million by the NPS’ Centennial Challenge Project, according to NPS officials.
https://sfbay.ca/2017/02/13/crissy-f...hrough-summer/

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's a little more than that:

Quote:
Crissy Field construction to last through summer
By Daniel Montes
BAY CITY NEWS
PUBLISHED
February 13, 2017

San Francisco’s Crissy Field is due for a brand new promenade, and construction to rebuild the oceanfront path is set to begin in March, National Park Service officials announced Monday.

Since the promenade opened in 2001, it has degraded beyond repair due to harsh weather and high use by its more than 18 million visitors, according to park officials.

The new project, which will be implemented in four phases in order to minimize impact to visitors, will see the granite promenade converted into one made of a more durable compacted shale material.

The new trail will look and feel similar to the current one, but is expected to last longer, park officials said.

Construction is expected to last through the summer . . . .
I re-wrote my post before I saw this, partly because this didn't matter to what we were talking about, but the point about the path was that it is not a new addition - it is a re-make of the existing path.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:59 AM

more of an explanation for why the relevant activity has not been happening

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 1:07 AM

Where's the money coming from? I don't want my state taxes paying for SF's elaborate pleasure parks.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 8:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Where's the money coming from? I don't want my state taxes paying for SF's elaborate pleasure parks.
Too bad

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:13 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Too bad
I agree, plus it will enhance a spectacular setting in a national park for everyone to enjoy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I agree, plus it will enhance a spectacular setting in a national park for everyone to enjoy.
*--* I'm not adverse to paying taxes. On the contrary. I'm all too happy to pay for universal health care and public education. But in a wealthy city whose citizens and corporations are about to be relived of their oh so burdensome obligation I don't feel we who are not privileged (or dumb) enough to (still) live in SF need to pay for their beautification. I don't care if it's technically a national park. It's not a natural wonder that needs to be preserved.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:02 PM

I believe it is paid for with federal taxes, since it is on federal land.

That should get the alt-right’s depends in a knot.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post

I lean to the right politics wise (not sure what alt-right means), but I'm more than happy for my taxes to beautify the Presidio Nat'l Park. It's a national treasure & taking too darn long!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
*--* I'm not adverse to paying taxes. On the contrary. I'm all too happy to pay for universal health care and public education. But in a wealthy city whose citizens and corporations are about to be relived of their oh so burdensome obligation I don't feel we who are not privileged (or dumb) enough to (still) live in SF need to pay for their beautification. I don't care if it's technically a national park. It's not a natural wonder that needs to be preserved.
Of all the things to complain about “your” tax dollars being wasted on...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post

Then you may well be wrong. The Presidio park is quite unique and, from a San Franciscan perspective, a victim of prejudice against the area by Congressional Republicans who imposed special requirements on it you won't find for other national parks:

Quote:
Following the close of the Presidio as a military base in 1994, Congress placed the San Francisco property under the joint management of the National Park Service and the newly-created Presidio Trust Corporation (the Trust), an independent government corporation established to help develop and maintain the site. Under the Presidio Trust Act which created the corporation, the Trust was required to become financially self-sufficient by 2013. To assist the Trust in meeting this deadline, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior directed the National Academy to conduct a review of the Trust’s financial and business management practices in 2002. During the study, the National Academy Panel examined the Trust’s partnership with NPS, reviewed the Trust’s financial plans and budget projections, reviewed the capital and operating spending trade-offs between revenue producing and other environmental and cultural preservation and enhancement activities, and assessed the effectiveness of the organizational structure.
https://www.napawash.org/studies/aca...-self-sufficie

Why the Presidio, alone among all national parks, should have this requirement seems egregiously unfair. The park is no more dedicated to the enjoyment of locals only than is any other park includuing the many in urban areas.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:26 PM

Uh, yeah...this isn't federally funded. GGNP Conservancy is having to raise the money. Bechtel Foundation made the lead gift of $25 million several years ago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 PM

So... it's just a... viewing deck?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:43 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
So... it's just a... viewing deck?
No—It will connect the Parade Grounds to Crissy Field, uniting the upper and lower areas of the Presidio.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:15 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development