HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:24 AM
heavy user of walkability

got an email today:

Quote:
Join us for a smashing day of demolition as we take down the former Army-era Burger King to make way for 14 acres of new national parkland – the Presidio Tunnel Tops!

The building will come down in a single day – so join us in the morning for refreshments, remarks, and to watch the excavator’s first blow, revealing 360 degree views of the Golden Gate, San Francisco Bay, the city skyline, and the Presidio.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:51 AM

There is a Burger King in the presidio?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
There is a Burger King in the presidio?
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/10/25/180...park-fast-food

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 12:19 PM

Who’s funding this? You would think that SF would be building the world’s greatest civic institutions and infrastructure, given the booming tech industry. But of course so much of that are these suburban companies in Silicon Valley with suburban mentalities.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 5:12 PM
Surrounded by Nature

A well developed, collaborative, and open planning and partnership process has brought us to this point, starting in 1972 with the Nixon administration. The three main entities are summarized here.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/...eld-begins.htm

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area covers 82,791 acres in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo counties, so it extends well beyond the Presidio.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Who’s funding this? ...
from the article linked to in post #19 on the previous page of this thread:

Quote:
The project will be funded through a $100 million fundraising campaign: $10 million from the trust and $90 million from private philanthropic sources. So far, $64.1 million of the $90 million has been raised from 82 individuals and organizations, said Greg Moore, executive director of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Who’s funding this? You would think that SF would be building the world’s greatest civic institutions and infrastructure, given the booming tech industry. But of course so much of that are these suburban companies in Silicon Valley with suburban mentalities.
Essentially the Presidio and the rest of the Golden Gate National Recreation area are federal parkland and under federal control although by law this park is a bit different since there is more local input into its governance and it is required to be self-funding (mainly through leasing of existing buildings and sites).

The city (San Francisco) tends to its own "civic institutions and infrastructure" including the city museums, Golden Gate Park and other parks. All of the city museums have now been either expanded and seismically retrofitted or replaced since the 1989 earthquake. The Asian Art Museum (reputedly the most impressive collection of Asian art outside Asia), previously rebuilt in the old Carnegie library after the city library moved into a new building, is presently undergoing expansion. The Museum of Modern Art last year opened its huge new wing (housing the Donald Fisher--Gap founder--collection and other works). The DeYoung Museum (art of the Americas) was replaced by a dramatic Hertzog/DeMeuron building and the CA Palace of the Legion of Honor (European art) was doubled in size by adding a lower floor. And the CA Academy of Sciences also has a dramatic new building by Renzo Piano.

In 2012 the city passed a $195,000,000 parks bond and most of the city parks are seeing some type of renovation or redevelopment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:55 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Well stated Pedestrian

In addition, the nine county Greater San Francisco Bay Area contains many hundreds of thousands of preserved acres, including parks, nature preserves, scenic/recreational areas, and those zoned permanently agricultural. The open and green spaces are one of the glories of living and visiting here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 11:23 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Well stated Pedestrian

In addition, the nine county Greater San Francisco Bay Area contains many hundreds of thousands of preserved acres, including parks, nature preserves, scenic/recreational areas, and those zoned permanently agricultural. The open and green spaces are one of the glories of living and visiting here.
One of my favorite skyline/GG views is from Albany Bulb in the east bay. I stop by there almost every other day to watch the sunset. This park is also going through redevelopment to modernize accessibility.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:48 AM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:43 AM

John King article about the project

Quote:
... work formally begins Thursday on a 14-acre, sloping park intended to connect the atmospheric Main Post with ever-popular Crissy Field.

The target completion date was 2018 when a design team was selected in 2014 for what then was a $51 million project. Now the budget is $118 million — all but $20 million to come from private donors — and the space is set to open in fall 2021. ...

And even though Presidio Parkway opened in 2015, there was a lengthy standoff between the trust and Caltrans over the details of how the state agency would return the construction site to the national park. ... the only public funding is $20 million from the Presidio Trust.

... The emphasis now is a boisterous “groundmaking” Thursday, with speakers including Nancy Pelosi. There also will be the ceremonial start to the wider fundraising campaign, though $86.7 million already has been pledged by private donors.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:15 AM

Imagine if the wealthy donors put together $100 million to do something about the homeless / drug addict issue in San Francisco, instead of a park... which will
be overrun by said homeless / drug addicts. Priorities, people.
(And yes my money is where my mouth is, I donate a portion of my paycheck every 2 weeks to homeless organizations)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Imagine if the wealthy donors put together $100 million to do something about the homeless / drug addict issue in San Francisco, instead of a park... which will
(And yes my money is where my mouth is, I donate a portion of my paycheck every 2 weeks to homeless organizations)
Lol. I hardly imagine the park is going to be overrun by ‘homeless / drug addicts”.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are already being dumped into homeless programs and foundations. Just like the housing crisis at large, money isn’t the issue, it’s policy and the management. The biggest point of contention is that the organizations themselves are largely inproficient on all accounts.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
And also, some perspective for those that aren’t familiar; 100M is not much more than the cost to build a run-of-the-mill mid rise apartment building. Not a lot can be bought or built for that much in a city like ours so I’m happy to see it being used for good like it is here.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:38 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
And also, some perspective for those that aren’t familiar; 100M is not much more than the cost to build a run-of-the-mill mid rise apartment building. Not a lot can be bought or built for that much in a city like ours so I’m happy to see it being used for good like it is here.
Exactly. If anything, this will bring joy and happiness to countless hundreds of thousands. Sending money for homeless organizations? I don't even know if the money ends up in the right programs of the right hands, because where is the progress in dealing with homelessness? It's getting worse, not better.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:55 PM

I don't get to this part of town often and I thought they finished that project years ago.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Lol. I hardly imagine the park is going to be overrun by ‘homeless / drug addicts”.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are already being dumped into homeless programs and foundations. Just like the housing crisis at large, money isn’t the issue, it’s policy and the management. The biggest point of contention is that the organizations themselves are largely inproficient on all accounts.
It's unlikely you'll see many homeless here. For one thing, it's federal land. The head of the federal government--Mr. T--has a different approach to "homelessness" than does San Francisco city government.

But also the homeless need to be around panhandling targets and drug sellers and other parts of their millieu. None of that is readily accessible in the Presidio Park (nor tolerated by the same federal government).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's unlikely you'll see many homeless here. For one thing, it's federal land. The head of the federal government--Mr. T--has a different approach to "homelessness" than does San Francisco city government.

But also the homeless need to be around panhandling targets and drug sellers and other parts of their millieu. None of that is readily accessible in the Presidio Park (nor tolerated by the same federal government).
Exactly. I have lived in the Marina since 2003 and I don't think I have ever seen a homeless person in the Presidio or on Crissy Field. The idea San Francisco is overrun with homeless is ludicrous. Downtown? maybe. Out in the neighborhoods? Not so much. In the Presidio? Zero.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

The current occupant of the White House has nothing to do with it because the park has thrived under multiple administrations for decades. Join and support the Parks Conservancy, a great organization, to learn more about this treasured place. They have interesting tours and programming, including tunnel top walks that I have done.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:33 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
A well developed, collaborative, and open planning and partnership process has brought us to this point, starting in 1972 with the Nixon administration. The three main entities are summarized here.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/...eld-begins.htm

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area covers 82,791 acres in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo counties, so it extends well beyond the Presidio.
This is my post from a year ago (November 4, 2018).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development