HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:38 AM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:34 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

That's an awful lot of poured foundations ... Have they gotten to work on the first block of rowhomes?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:00 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

So great to see the progress. Looks like we're looking west from the south side of Alfred in that first pic, and then still on Alfred but looking north on the swecond pic. And it looks like we're seeing the first block of flats in the background in the first pic along with the foundations for the townhomes. I'm really interested to see how the duplettes and carriage houses are going to turn out. I'm still a bit unclear of exactly what each housing type is in the development apart from the flats and townhomes. Like, do the duplettes have seperate entrances or a shared one?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:14 AM

November 7th via the Brush Park Preservation Society.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Brush-Pa...25371670812180

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:16 AM

I can not say enough good things about City Modern. It's hands down my favorite development. My hope is that this can be replicated in other neighborhoods, and by that I mean the mix of housing, not the price points. lol There is reason low-income and affordable housing can't be built with a range of different building types.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 5:32 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:04 AM

These were posted by Detroitsky over on the Detroit compilation page as part of a larger development update i'll just re-post the ones of City Modern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Some updates from the past few months. I have a few to put in the Metro Detroit thread as well.

Enjoy:

The following are City Modern photos from yesterday, 2/27:

124 Alfred Street

Some carriage houses with townhouses being built behind. A corner of one of the townhouses can be seen at left.

440 Alfred Street

3 renovations on Alfred Street seen from Brush
http://www.flickr.com/photos/detcypherurbex/

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

June update via Curbed Detroit. The senior apartments are expected to start leasing this month and 74 of the 104 condo units have been sold with residents expected to move in by July. Much of what is left to build are the apartment buildings on the corners which make up a little over 300 rental units. The current market-rate apartment building under construction (last pic) will be complete next summer with expected prices around $2.30 per square foot.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/6/13...move-in-summer

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:28 PM

I was recently at the site and the transformation is incredible. It's hard to believe only a few years ago I was picking up trash around these old houses and trying to tend the overgrown lawns.

That being said, while I am glad that Brush Park is finally getting the love it deserves, the renovations (which is what they are) of the remaining houses are very disappointing to me. I've worked with an architect to have every one of these houses rendered in its most accurate historical state so we have all the documentation. That being said, City Modern is not interested in restoring these homes to their original conditions which is simply a real shame because this is the opportunity to do it.

I had this same problem with Nicole Curtis of HGTV on the Ransom Gillis house. Their renovation was better than City Modern but still it wasn't a restoration. Nicole Curtis gave me the cold shoulder in the same way City Modern does with regards to historic restorations of these houses. Their really only interested in money.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:07 AM

New residents move into City Modern in Brush Park
By Robin Runyan. Curbed Detroit. Sep 20, 2018.

Quote:
A Bedrock representative tells us that nine of the condos are currently occupied, and 24 of the total 104 condos are still on the market.
Quote:
In total, City Modern will bring over 400 new residential units to the Brush Park neighborhood.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/9/20...residents-move

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 10:36 AM

There are 24 for-sale units left for sure, and apparently 3 of an unconfirmed status:

SammyS

Sammy says that the rental duplettes up on Edmund Place have been scrapped and that half with be more for-sale townhomes and another half will be for-sale flats/apartments of a currently unspecified nature. I really liked the idea of the duplettes as they allowed people starting out to get a taste of the neighborhood; at least I thought it filled a niche.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:29 PM
TL;DR

Possibly posted earlier, but does anyone know the overall parking ratio for this development? I see a handful of surface spots and there is obviously street parking, but most of these buildings very clearly are not providing a 1:1 ratio of off-street parking. (It shows in the attractive architecture)

Does Detroit’s zoning code allow the on-street spaces to be counted towards required parking? I know this is permitted in New Orleans. If so, that seems like a smart approach to prevent these regenerated neighborhoods from having bulky, ugly buildings filled with parking (or surface lots that break up the urban fabric).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:58 PM

In fact, the website says that each townhome (yellow on sales map above) offer two private spots, and the carriage homes (green) offer one spot; it's tucked under an accessible from the allies and small parking areas. The four flats on the edge of the property will all have, I believe, some of their parking underground parking. 124 Alfred, which is the one soon to open, has all of its parking underground.

In any case, the entirety of Brush Park just about is zoned PD (Planned Development), so the normal requirements don't apply. Most of the other developments planned for the neighborhood have underground parking. Check out these plans for the rest of the neighborhood:

Brush + Watson

112 Edmund, 2827 John R & 105 Alfred

SoMA Brush Park

Last edited by LMich; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Possibly posted earlier, but does anyone know the overall parking ratio for this development? I see a handful of surface spots and there is obviously street parking, but most of these buildings very clearly are not providing a 1:1 ratio of off-street parking. (It shows in the attractive architecture)

Does Detroit’s zoning code allow the on-street spaces to be counted towards required parking? I know this is permitted in New Orleans. If so, that seems like a smart approach to prevent these regenerated neighborhoods from having bulky, ugly buildings filled with parking (or surface lots that break up the urban fabric).
For Brush Park as a whole, the off-street parking requirement ratio is 0.75.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:11 PM
TL;DR

^ Sounds about right. Surprising that Detroit developers are embracing underground parking like that. In Chicago, our high water table and garbage swampy soil makes underground construction too expensive for neighborhood-scale buildings. I always assumed Detroit as another flat (ish) Great Lakes city would have similar issues, but maybe not.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
For Brush Park as a whole, the off-street parking requirement ratio is 0.75.
Just out of curiosity, where'd you find this number? I wasn't aware the Form Based Code for the neighborhood had been passed, because otherwise, you can't have different requirements for different parts of the city regardless of the zone. However, it being zoned PD (Planned Development) gets around ther requirements, regardless, since it would ultimately be up to the Planning Commission to reject or approve the plan. Obviously, they've approved all of these and the Brush Park neighborhood association has been very open to supporting all of this.

EDIT: Found it. The code sets the minimum for the neighborhood at 0.75 of the existing requirement and the maximum up to 2.0 per dwelling. I also forgot that the city is requiring developers to adhere to the code whether it's been enacted or not. I imagine they are doing this through the Planned Development approval process, whereas approval would require them adhearing to the proposed code. In any case, carriage homes have one garage and it appears the townhomes have a garage, plus a dedicated surface spot in the small parking alleys behind the townhomes, and altogether the neighborhood is around 400 units, I think.

Quote:
^ Sounds about right. Surprising that Detroit developers are embracing underground parking like that. In Chicago, our high water table and garbage swampy soil makes underground construction too expensive for neighborhood-scale buildings. I always assumed Detroit as another flat (ish) Great Lakes city would have similar issues, but maybe not.
Detroit is only really bad in parts as it relates to drainage. For at least a mile on either side of Woodward the city sits on a very gentle rise, the Detroit Moraine. It continues to rise far into Oakland County. The Native Americans had already known this, which is why Woodward is where it is today. The whole westside north of Michigan Avenue raises up to 8 Mile, which is why drainage has never been that bad on that side of town. The only places that are really bad are parts of the lower east side and parts of Southwest Detroit.

Last edited by LMich; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Not to the point where it's cost-prohibitive like in Chicago. I at least know in some suburbs, you can find subdivisions with houses built with sump pumps or otherwise deal with semi-frequent flooding during the summer. However it's more of a nuisance rather than a detriment to development.

There's a number of downtown buildings with underground parking, but since space has never really been an issue during the middle part of the century (and even still today on the fringe of the core), it's still cheaper to stick with above ground garages. Nowadays, underground parking is really only used if space is super limited and other design needs take priority.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:27 AM

Detroit really has more underground parking than would warrant and one would expect given its economy, though. I guess what overshadows it is that it just has more parking than it needs in general. But, really, more underground parking than many people would expect (i.e. any at all).

Lowell over at DetroitYes posted a little update of City Modern in Brush Park. I love this place.

Looking down Alfred with the some of the "townhome" units being built. The Ransom Gillis House is featured.

Kitty-corner is the new senior housing apartments, 124 Alfred, that's one of the "flats" units apart of this development.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Looking north at 440 Alfred yesterday, and the firest row of carriage homes:

Kirk Pinho

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Kitty-corner is the new senior housing apartments,

Fascinating.

Is there a sort of pop-soda-Coke regional map of the US that shows kitty vs. catty-corner practitioners? I've never uttered kitty-corner in my life, and I'd assume the same is likely true vice versa.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development