HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:48 PM

From Danny Ecker, the first buildings being proposed

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 8:22 PM

hilarious:

Planning dept. spokesman says Sterling Bay would be required to build a 2-acre "interim park" on the southern portion of #LincolnYards by the end of 2020. Developer would maintain it and run it through a "Park advisory council."

maybe so the home depot staff has a place for their smoke breaks?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:39 PM

APPROVED!!!

"Phase one consists of 1.32 million square feet of offices, 108,000 square feet of retail and 1,400 parking spaces. Future phases of the 10-year project will require additional City reviews and approvals."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Why do these developments always have to kick off with the shortest, least significant buildings in the proposal? These will take years to complete and then years of work on parks and infrastructure will lapse before they get to the tall buildings which will take years to build themselves one at a time in phases. It would be amazing if for once these developers were somewhat ambitious and aggressive on a global scale in Chicago.
uhhh, they're talking about a full build-out of MILLIONS of square feet of new commercial and residential real estate.

you don't build all of that at once 3 miles NW of the loop.

but if you have $6B you're willing to loan 'em, they'll gladly get going on all of it straight-away.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:49 PM
Urbane observer

Is it true that there's still no park dedication and no new transit in the PD?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Is it true that there's still no park dedication and no new transit in the PD?
The PD's just a zoning approval. Sterling Bay is not relying on park space or transit improvements to get their density.

I assume parkland, transit, and anything else to be funded out of TIF proceeds will be spelled out in an Redevelopment Agreement, but the TIF district needs to be approved first. Usually TIF districts are created by the city to lure developers, then a developer comes along later. This one is backwards, Sterling Bay is requesting the TIF.

We'll see what happens next. Probably a lawsuit will be filed to challenge the PD approval, which will likely be dismissed in court. Then opponents will pivot to an all-out campaign against the TIF legislation or the RDA. But at that point the battle is essentially moot - the towers are a done deal and they'd simply be opposing all the goodies for the community. Also, Rahm may not be able to get to the finish line before he leaves, so the new mayor may get a chance to alter the project.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 12:46 AM

I do like this at least. Starting small will help the surrounding area adapt around it. There's nothing crazy about the size of these buildings or the number of commuters it will bring. There used to be thousands of factory jobs here and they did just fine.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
There's nothing crazy about the size of these buildings
Not crazy but 1.3M sqft is really substantial, especially this far away from the CBD. For comparison, Wolf Point South is 1.2M sqft.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:04 PM

It looks great! But I think it's pretty radical to have millions of square feet of office space here. It's not like the loop and downtown are totally full. There's plenty of room to grow downtown still. The post office is just opening up with 2.5 million sqft and the 78 is going to have millions more of office and that's in a much better location downtown with a subway stop going inside the development. Even Amazon liked that location better. While Lincoln Yards will have very challenging transit and road work to figure out. It would take years to reconfigure the roads, transit, water taxi, and 606 trail around there, assuming they start today.

I think hotels and apartments would work good here, but I don't see how they could build more than a small boutique office building. Where is the demand this far north. The only other district with office space, that's not a specialized medical or university district I can think of outside of greater downtown is in Ravenswood but that's a very small amount of sqft compared to what they are proposing here. It seems like it would be a decade or more to get this kind of demand. Assuming Chicago keeps booming for all that time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
It looks great! But I think it's pretty radical to have millions of square feet of office space here. It's not like the loop and downtown are totally full. There's plenty of room to grow downtown still. The post office is just opening up with 2.5 million sqft and the 78 is going to have millions more of office and that's in a much better location downtown with a subway stop going inside the development. Even Amazon liked that location better. While Lincoln Yards will have very challenging transit and road work to figure out. It would take years to reconfigure the roads, transit, water taxi, and 606 trail around there, assuming they start today.

I think hotels and apartments would work good here, but I don't see how they could build more than a small boutique office building. Where is the demand this far north. The only other district with office space, that's not a specialized medical or university district I can think of outside of greater downtown is in Ravenswood but that's a very small amount of sqft compared to what they are proposing here. It seems like it would be a decade or more to get this kind of demand. Assuming Chicago keeps booming for all that time.
I agree, seems odd to locate that much office at Lincoln Yards. Especially with the absolutely awful transit access.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:22 PM

Maybe that's the idea, they are targeting suburban businesses that don't really care about transit and need elbow room, but want to be closer to the talent downtown? I.e. the big Pharma guys up in Deerfield or something. It's also possible that they will be able to offer rents that are more comparable to suburban rents here and then draw in other companies (like the insurance guys) that would locate downtown, but can't afford $35/SF NNN. Maybe a Zurich type would have ended up here if the site was ready when they were shopping?

All I know is they got CH Robinson to move to bumblefuck nowhere already and they already did in the entire West Loop. These guys ain't stupid so they must have a plan. What's the word on when they want to start this Phase I? I doubt they would start 1.3 million of office in this location on spec. If they are planning to start soon I'd expect an announcement about who they've landed shortly.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:56 PM
The City

^ I agree, but my feeling is that this is about relationships. SB seems to be pretty good at building rapport with companies.

However, with putting so much office in Lincoln Yards, SB is at risk of auto-cannibalizing their interests elsewhere. They have a stakehold in the East Loop as well as a huge stake in the West Loop.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
All I know is they got CH Robinson to move to bumblefuck nowhere already and they already did in the entire West Loop. These guys ain't stupid so they must have a plan.
Well at least the West Loop has that ~AuTheNtiC~ meatpacker/old warehouse thing going for it.
LY has none of that. Just podiums lined with Four Corners Group eateries.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Not crazy but 1.3M sqft is really substantial, especially this far away from the CBD. For comparison, Wolf Point South is 1.2M sqft.
I was more thinking about height, but when you put it that way, these buildings will still have some major weight when seen from the highway or L

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Well at least the West Loop has that ~AuTheNtiC~ meatpacker/old warehouse thing going for it.
LY has none of that. Just podiums lined with Four Corners Group eateries.
The most suburban of companies will feel right at home then! Different strokes for different folks. I just worry what this will do to traffic on the Kennedy honestly. It's like dropping a Schaumburg right between Lincoln Park and Wicker Park...

PS, "dropping a Schaumburg" is slang for a visit to the restroom in some circles...

PSS, "Schaum" means "foam" or "froth" in German meaning Schaumburg translates roughly to "foam castle" or "castle of froth"... WTF? I can't even...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 11:56 PM
TL;DR

Well, that's why the Metra station and the 606 extension are key. Give suburbanites from the North Shore and NW burbs a nice place to get off the train, and a landscaped promenade to weave through the industry and the traffic clusterf*ck and across the river to LY North.

Sterling Bay's plan shifts the Metra platforms south of Cortland, this allows for a direct link down (or up) from the platforms to the trail. It also de-couples the station project from the longer-term project to rebuild all the viaducts, which is dependent on Metra's slowass bureaucracy. It's only a 1/3 mile walk max from the station site to the office towers, this is shorter than walking from Ogilvie or Union to LaSalle St.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:00 PM

I'm completely torn about this entire development. One great thing about Chicago that sets it apart from let's say Houston or LA, is that our downtown is the big concentration of skyscraper development. We don't have a Galleria area or Century City. Personally, I like that our high density urban areas are concentrated in one area. I wish Lincoln Yards was more about connecting established, nice neighborhoods that had been separated by an underused industrial wasteland and adding parkland.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Personally, I like that our high density urban areas are concentrated in one area.
Density in Chicago is not only concentrated downtown, but along the lakefront too. It seems the LY project (and others) are treating the river as a sort of second lakefront.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:45 PM

It will anchor the NW corner of a super core that will have highrises scattered from Fullerton on the north, Ashland on the west, 31st St. on south, lake michigan on east

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development