HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

Not that Clark is any great freeway impossible to cross, but I'm supposed to believe that the resident's of Ald Dowell's ward all demanded that they be forced to cross Clark every day to get to the station, rather than putting the entrance in that dumpy little grass plot on the SE corner of Clark/15th? That does not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Interesting. Solis won't be around by the time this thing needs to get approved, though. Whoever ultimately okays this thing will be one of four young Latinx Millennials, who may not have the heart to tell Dearborn Park mothers to kick rocks.
I thought that was the whole point of voting in Millennials, to shake things up? If they don't have the stomach for it, why bother running?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Mr. D covered why the station might need aldermanic support, there's all kinds of approvals from CDOT and other agencies (including a rezoning of The 78 land and CTA's ventilation parcel) that require the alderman's signoff, in 99.9% of cases it's just a formality since aldermen usually support big transportation projects in their wards.

As for Danny Solis - virtually all the people running for his seat are Carlos Rosa wannabes, extremely progressive and idealistic young Latinx candidates. None of them have held public office before, and they will probably be uncomfortable with Chicago-style dealmaking, especially to benefit a big developer like Related.

They share a Jane Jacobs belief that the community is always right, so they may support Dearborn Parkers in their quest to kill the station even though they are technically on the other side of the ward line.
If your pessimism holds true, then Related has a huge problem on their hands, and the 78 is in some serious jeopardy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:33 PM
TL;DR

^ I think the plan is to have The 78 (along with Lincoln Yards and the seemingly uncontroversial River District) approved by City Council, both for zoning and TIF, before the election.

The subway station itself will probably require further approvals in the coming years, especially because the construction site will spill beyond the boundaries of The 78's site. That's where a "progressive" alderman could try to stand in the way of the bulldozers.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:40 PM

chicago: the town where progressives don't support public transit

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:56 PM
The City

Quote:
^ I think the plan is to have The 78 (along with Lincoln Yards and the seemingly uncontroversial River District) approved by City Council, both for zoning and TIF, before the election.

The subway station itself will probably require further approvals in the coming years, especially because the construction site will spill beyond the boundaries of The 78's site. That's where a "progressive" alderman could try to stand in the way of the bulldozers.
I thought the idea was to build the infrastructure prior to the actual buildings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 9:36 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

There was an article in Crains about the 78 yesterday:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ops-78-project

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:15 AM
Urbane observer

Red Line station now to be on the west side of Clark, making Dearborn Park II homeowners happy. Though I have no sympathy with the whiny soccer moms, this is where the station always should have been. Apparently the slope is only 1 percent, so ADA compliant; CTA says they can live with curved platform.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Feb 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 7:16 AM
TL;DR

Cool. Hopefully Dowell will shut up now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Red Line station now to be on the west side of Clark, making Dearborn Park II homeowners happy. Though I have no sympathy with the whiny soccer moms, this is where the station always should have been. Apparently the slope is only 1 percent, so ADA compliant; CTA says they can live with curved platform.

Agree completely - it made no sense to have the new station east of Clark to begin with.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Agree completely - it made no sense to have the new station east of Clark to begin with.
Of course it did. Related could lease more land within the 78 to paying tenants without a pesky train station in the way!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:02 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I hope they integrate something into the headhouse.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Of course it did. Related could lease more land within the 78 to paying tenants without a pesky train station in the way!
Apparently the station entrance will be integrated into the building, kinda like at the Thompson Center. Fear not, Related isn't losing any development potential from this move. The direct CTA entrance might even drive more foot traffic to a kind of retail arcade within the building, again like the Thompson Center. I believe the building slated for that site is the Discovery Partners Institute, which will be in the unique position of spanning over both the Red Line tunnel and the Metra Rock Island Line.

However, based on Mr D's image and a more technical drawing on Block Club, it looks like this new plan requires the corner of Burnham Station to be underpinned, the current Red Line tunnel must pass within inches of the building foundation and with the added width from platforms it will definitely encroach onto their land and into their basement. Probably will require some messy negotiations with that condo association or eminent domain if that fails. Construction won't be cheap or easy, either unless they tear the building down... I wonder if that's the real reason Related was hesitant to move the platform before. The utility lines under Clark seemed like a red herring, utility relocation is a routine and unavoidable part of subway construction.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:57 PM
Urbane observer

Related said last night that DPI would be west of the Metra tracks and that they expect the building above the station entry to be some combination of office and residential:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:54 PM
TL;DR

^ Oh ok. From all the renderings I've seen, it looked like a single building that spanned the Metra tracks.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 7:12 PM

For posterity; Crains has a more technical drawing showing where the station house is going. Essentially what MrD posted, with a few additional details

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 12:03 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
^ Oh ok. From all the renderings I've seen, it looked like a single building that spanned the Metra tracks.
Yeah, that was always the impression I had, too, but we're some years away from actual buildings. They've sketched some kind of connection over the tracks:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:21 AM
TL;DR

Actually I have more faith in DPI than the other parts of Related’s plan, which are conditional on a continued economic boom. Now that Pritzker has pledged his support for DPI, I’m sure the remaining funding will fall into place soon. We’re also supposed to see groundbreaking on Wells-Wentworth this summer.

That architecture though... feels like a first year studio project. Seems like it’s aiming to be a kind of Silicon Valley-esque campus adjusted for the realities of Chicago’s weather. Also looks like they took that whole spiel about “disruption” a little too literally.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Actually I have more faith in DPI than the other parts of Related’s plan, which are conditional on a continued economic boom. Now that Pritzker has pledged his support for DPI, I’m sure the remaining funding will fall into place soon. We’re also supposed to see groundbreaking on Wells-Wentworth this summer.

That architecture though... feels like a first year studio project. Seems like it’s aiming to be a kind of Silicon Valley-esque campus adjusted for the realities of Chicago’s weather. Also looks like they took that whole spiel about “disruption” a little too literally.
That’s a good point. It’s a bit harder to integrate great public spaces into Chicago developments because they wouldn’t be used 4 months out of the year. That’s probably why Block 37 became such a disappointment.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:01 PM
Urbane observer

Huh? Block 37 never included any public spaces.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 4:13 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled View Post
Someone needs to get drunk, steal a bulldozer, and remake the east<>west roads down there.
I understand that, at least with CAT, all machines, at least within a class (like all bulldozers), share the same key. Yes, I mean *all*. LockPickingLawyer talks about it in one of his YouTube videos.

So, that said, you provide the liquor and someone track down a key, and I'll get to work ... ;-)

Quote:
^ Interesting. Solis won't be around by the time this thing needs to get approved, though. Whoever ultimately okays this thing will be one of four young Latinx Millennials, who may not have the heart to tell Dearborn Park mothers to kick rocks.

From an engineering standpoint, it's not impossible to build platforms on a slope or on a curve. I saw several stations in NYC recently with a noticeable slope to the platform. But I do agree that the station box will have to extend beneath Clark and onto the CTA's property at the southeast corner even if it doesn't cross the line of 15th.
Plenty of places have stations on inclines - I've seen them in at least three subway systems. I can't speak to the braking system, though. And don't the Sheridan and Loyola stops on the Red Line have at least slight curves to their platforms? And there's that abandoned curved station in the Ike median - former Kostner?

Does anyone know if they'll be digging out platforms long enough for at least ten-car trains? I would hope so since, if the north Red Line ridership grows the way the CTA thinks it might, they'll probably want to run ten-car trains shortly after finishing the RPM project(s).
[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development