HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:06 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't know, but it looks like Kalamazoo did to me, though that was in the 90s. And parts of suburban Milwaukee. And pictures I've seen of upstate New York.

I didn't know Tennessee was part of the so-called Sunbelt. Doesn't look so sunny and warm to me.

Look at it:

If somebody told me that was Wauwatosa or Utica, I would believe it.

That image does not evoke Sunbelt to me.
This image evokes generic master-planned community of production homes built on the fringes of a growing colder metro area but still "country" and there's a gutted deer carcass in at least one of these garages during the winter.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Nashville voted down a transit initiative. There are limits to density when it all has to be supported by private vehicles.

This is a problem pretty well everywhere in North America, but a few cities are making a better effort to support density with transit even in new development.
You're not wrong, but like you even admit it's basically only Seattle and LA trying to add transit with a few other projects scattered about. The whole NorthEast just has the the one subway line in NYC that's expected to take 25 years to complete and the one station extension into Grand Central to the commuter rail that is also expected to take 25 years to complete. Not exactly a lot of transit being built in the US all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This image evokes generic master-planned community of production homes built on the fringes of a growing colder metro area but still "country" and there's a gutted deer carcass in at least one of these garages during the winter.
Would help if we actually knew where these pictures were taken. If they're way out in the suburbs then it's entirely a different story than if they're right near downtown.

EDIT:

Just for reference how do you people feel about the "traditional" Nashville places like all the bars and music venues on Broadway?

Last edited by BrownTown; Jan 3, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:32 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
yeah, that looks like suburban st. louis (missouri).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
yeah, that looks like suburban st. louis (missouri).
Or suburban.. every other state in the entire US.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ahhhh my favorite topic--the fast growing shit Sunbelt towns.

Grow, grow, grow......then....ooops we fucked up.....rebuild rebuild rebuild.....oh shit here come the unforeseen legacy infrastructure costs--oh wait, this isn't such a bargain after all.

Meanwhile the more densely urbanized cities sit there swallowing up the disillusioned masses who realize that it was all a lie
Uhh wait, you live in Chicagoland. Lol.

Chicago shrinks, while Chicagoland exploded with growth! Even cool Chicagoans fled their cool city for the suburbs.

Rapid suburban growth isn't unique to "shit Sunbelt towns". The northeast invented it! Literally every single city has experienced rapid suburban growth. The sunbelt tends to do it in a more densely matter -- less waste -- you know, to save the planet!!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't know, but it looks like Kalamazoo did to me, though that was in the 90s. And parts of suburban Milwaukee. And pictures I've seen of upstate New York.

I didn't know Tennessee was part of the so-called Sunbelt. Doesn't look so sunny and warm to me.

Look at it:

If somebody told me that was Wauwatosa or Utica, I would believe it.

That image does not evoke Sunbelt to me.
Wauwatosa shout-out on SSP, nice! I have to agree with Steely Dan though. I think you are thinking of Waukesha County, which is much more suburban.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Chicago shrinks, while Chicagoland exploded with growth! Even cool Chicagoans fled their cool city for the suburbs.
Except the opposite is true. Chicagoland growth is all in the urban core. The sprawl is generally doing poorly.
Quote:
Rapid suburban growth isn't unique to "shit Sunbelt towns".
Again, the opposite is true. Slow or no-growth metros don't have rapid suburban growth, obviously.
Quote:
The sunbelt tends to do it in a more densely matter -- less waste -- you know, to save the planet!!!
Except Nashville and the like have super low density, and I think you're the first person on the planet to claim that suburban sprawl is intended to "save the planet".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
You're not wrong, but like you even admit it's basically only Seattle and LA trying to add transit with a few other projects scattered about. The whole NorthEast just has the the one subway line in NYC that's expected to take 25 years to complete and the one station extension into Grand Central to the commuter rail that is also expected to take 25 years to complete. Not exactly a lot of transit being built in the US all things considered.
I'm sure you're well-aware that none of this is true. Not gonna correct all the silliness in every sentence.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Just for reference how do you people feel about the "traditional" Nashville places like all the bars and music venues on Broadway?

Hooray for telephoto lenses.

I moved there in 1996. Hardly any of those bars were there then. The "authentic" old bars are all recent inventions, likely owned by hedge funds or at the very least accredited investors.

In 1996, Roberts and Tootsie's were there. But so was Planet Hollywood. Second Ave. had Hard Rock Café and an Olde Spaghetti Factory and I think a Hooters. There was a NASCAR café near what is now the commuter rail station; now that is a Rock Bottom Brewery, which is a chain.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Except the opposite is true. Chicagoland growth is all in the urban core. The sprawl is generally doing poorly.
That's not even close to accurate.

1950 Chicago: 3.6 million
1950 Chicago MSA: 5.5 million

Fast forward to the reality of the situation --

2018 Chicago 2.7 million [new fancy skyscrapers though!]
2018 Chicago MSA: 9.6 million

Hmm, what changed?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Again, the opposite is true. Slow or no-growth metros don't have rapid suburban growth, obviously..
Totally wrong again.

Aren't you from Detroit?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:02 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Guys. This thread is about Nashville. Not Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Except Nashville and the like have super low density, and I think you're the first person on the planet to claim that suburban sprawl is intended to "save the planet".
Nashville is low-density, however it is densifying. Yes?

However, you managed to skip over all the other sunbelt cities that tend to be more dense than other metros.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are more densely settled than Boston.

Los Angeles is one of the most densely settled places in America. Miami, ditto. Suburban Dallas, dense settlement pattern.

Atlanta -- low density, lower than Boston.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

I moved there in 1996. Hardly any of those bars were there then. The "authentic" old bars are all recent inventions, likely owned by hedge funds or at the very least accredited investors.

In 1996, Roberts and Tootsie's were there. But so was Planet Hollywood. Second Ave. had Hard Rock Café and an Olde Spaghetti Factory and I think a Hooters. There was a NASCAR café near what is now the commuter rail station; now that is a Rock Bottom Brewery. Geesh, how unique.

There weren't any old bars on Second in the 90s. There was the place where they filmed the TNN Dance Ranch show every night. There were old bars in Printer's Alley, but most of that has been torn down.

Americans don't like the real thing. They prefer the imitation. Nashville in 2019 is an imitation of what the public think Nashville always was. It was never what it is now until about 2015. Even the hot chicken is a recent invention.

As I already mentioned, I moved to Nashville 22 years ago. Never heard of "Nashville Hot Chicken" until about 2013. Because it was invented by a hedge fund, like the rest of Nashville's "culture".
You've brought up trust fund kids and hedge funds a couple of times now. Do you have beef with these people?

Also, I don't think the explosive growth in Nashville has been spurred on by like 5,000 people.

Btw, this is a great thread though. Tons of pics and opinions. Lots to talk about!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
You've brought up trust fund kids and hedge funds a couple of times now. Do you have beef with these people?

Also, I don't think the explosive growth in Nashville has been spurred on by like 5,000 people.

Btw, this is a great thread though. Tons of pics and opinions. Lots to talk about!
I personally never met any, "trust fund" kids living in Nashville, where are you getting this idea that Nashville is a haven for such people? It's way down the list of cities I'd expect to see mentioned in such a discussion.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:34 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

what a whinge, as the english say. these houses look cool. as others have said, just need better sidewalks and repaving.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
what a whinge, as the english say. these houses look cool. as others have said, just need better sidewalks and repaving.
Wait, did you run by Mr. 10023?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:38 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

In 1996, Roberts and Tootsie's were there. But so was Planet Hollywood. Second Ave. had Hard Rock Café and an Olde Spaghetti Factory and I think a Hooters. There was a NASCAR café near what is now the commuter rail station; now that is a Rock Bottom Brewery. Geesh, how unique.

There weren't any old bars on Second in the 90s. There was the place where they filmed the TNN Dance Ranch show every night. There were old bars in Printer's Alley, but most of that has been torn down.

Americans don't like the real thing. They prefer the imitation. Nashville in 2019 is an imitation of what the public think Nashville always was. It was never what it is now until about 2015. Even the hot chicken is a recent invention.

As I already mentioned, I moved to Nashville 22 years ago. Never heard of "Nashville Hot Chicken" until about 2013. Because it was invented by a hedge fund, like the rest of Nashville's "culture".
sounds like someone needs to re-watch the movie 'Nashville'.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:59 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Also refreshing to see little to no neo-traditional crap, the kind you still see getting built in suburban nj and even parts of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:05 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I agree with others, that picture actually does look a lot like Waukesha's suburban fringe going north towards Pewaukee and Menominee Falls.

There's little rolling "hills" with deciduous trees and small subdivisions of boxy vinyl sided mcmansions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions