HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:56 PM

We've got it ALLLL in Albany, NY!

We sure do!! Another nickname for the town: Smallbany

These photos start with my trip up for Thanksgiving and then we'll fast forward to Christmastime. We had unusually cooperative weather this time around, which I'll never take for granted given how cloudy and cold the upstate weather usually is at this time of year. There really is a lot to like here, but I also find myself wanting to get the hell out after about three nights

Near the old man's home

And on towards the citay

Quick morning trip up to Troy, NY whose downtown has seen quite a dramatic turnaround in the past ~5 years

And final shot from Thanksgiving showing off the sexy Hudson River Valley farmland that I grew up around

And onto December!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

Nice work. Just curious those brownstones close to downtown you photographed, is this a safe part of town or is it the hood? And if a nice part of town are these in demand and what are prices?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:35 PM

Albany has great urban bones.

Looks like Rennselear is building some TOD by the rail station? That looks promising. Would be nice if Metro-North were extended further north (I know the Albany station added a fourth track a few years ago).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

this thread is alllll-right.

different perspectives than just the state office towers area we usually see.

maybe you keep adding to it now and again ?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:14 AM

I recognize the east end of 1st Street looking down to Ten Broeck St I almost bought a property in that area back when I came within a hair of investing in Albany real estate.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
Nice work. Just curious those brownstones close to downtown you photographed, is this a safe part of town or is it the hood? And if a nice part of town are these in demand and what are prices?
I don't see any brownstones in there...?

There are some in Albany, but they're not that common compared to rowhouses with brick facades.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:39 AM

Nice thread. Haven't visited Albany, but would like to.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Nice thread. Haven't visited Albany, but would like to.
It's really nice. To me at least. (Mostly, I like that it's got all the same architectural styles as NYC; to someone from the City though, this characteristic may not be as visit-worthy.)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:02 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice work!! Albany is definitely on my list of cities to visit when I travel to New York later this year!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:59 PM

Great job and Albany looks like a gorgeous quiet river city with an almost 600ft tower downtown-thanks for the pics man!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:23 PM

Albany looks beautiful but that damn massive urban renewal project in the very center of the city will always make me cringe, unfortunate.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
I took pictures of two different residential neighborhoods: Arbor Hill and Center Square. If you're talking about this picture...

Then that's Arbor Hill/Ten Broeck Triangle, which unfortunately is somewhat crime-ridden and isn't seeing much movement/demand. Here's a listing for one of the homes in that picture: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45552819_zpid/

And if you're talking about this picture...

That's Center Square, is a couple notches more stable of an area, and is about as gentrified of a neighborhood as Albany gets (which isn't saying much). Here's a typical listing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...42538925_zpid/

Looks like regardless of the neighborhood the going rate is somewhere between $200-300k for a single family property.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:03 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Very cool pics! Albany, at least to me, looks like it could be a city in some foreign (non-US) country.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:46 PM
Me?!?

There really is a lot to like here, but I also find myself wanting to get the hell out after about three nights

You sound like me with Harrisburg Great pics!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:37 AM

Prices in (the southeasternmost part of) Arbor Hill have gone up pretty sharply in the past few years; I have been assuming that meant some sort of gentrification going on. (It's been a couple years since my last visit, but I've been keeping an eye on prices just for kicks.)

Same thing in the Mansion District - used to be full of supercheap properties, now everything's moderately pricey. Speaking of that area, tradition dating back from when I was in the area more often, I try to always stop and eat at Lombardo's when I'm on my way to FL. Cool place, nice time capsule, I liked to encourage them. (Last time was last year. I just noticed it's closing )

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:08 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Great thread with some unusual vantage points. Albany has lots of character.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Prices in (the southeasternmost part of) Arbor Hill have gone up pretty sharply in the past few years; I have been assuming that meant some sort of gentrification going on. (It's been a couple years since my last visit, but I've been keeping an eye on prices just for kicks.)

Same thing in the Mansion District - used to be full of supercheap properties, now everything's moderately pricey. Speaking of that area, tradition dating back from when I was in the area more often, I try to always stop and eat at Lombardo's when I'm on my way to FL. Cool place, nice time capsule, I liked to encourage them. (Last time was last year. I just noticed it's closing )
This is all good to hear. Albany can stand to see some positive price movement!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Albany looks beautiful but that damn massive urban renewal project in the very center of the city will always make me cringe, unfortunate.
That was Nelson Rockefeller's dream $2 billion project back in the 70's. The biggest spending Republican Governor the country has ever seen? In office 15 years he promised to create one new university every year of his governorship. He topped that by 2 more!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:33 PM
Registered Ugly

I can't think of this area without thinking of James Howard Kunstler and the World Made by Hand Series. I also used to listen to his podcast before he went (way) off his rocker.

I have a very funny story that happened in Troy, NY when I was doing a New England road trip with a buddy of mine. Let's just say we weren't quite used to bars staying open until 4 AM.

Anyway, nice photos and thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I have a very funny story that happened in Troy, NY when I was doing a New England road trip with a buddy of mine. Let's just say we weren't quite used to bars staying open until 4 AM.
Haha, try being a freshman at a SUNY school in Buffalo and having a chalked ID at barely 18 years old and with that 4am last call..... I then moved to Boston and felt robbed of a certain amount of agency having to deal with their 2am closing time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos