HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:12 AM

What’s the the 3 crane project going up in Deep Ellum just north of the Adam Hats building?
At first there were two cranes and now there are three.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
What’s the the 3 crane project going up in Deep Ellum just north of the Adam Hats building?
At first there were two cranes and now there are three.
I believe you may be talking about The Epic Deep Ellum?
There is also the giant apartments and Tom thumb being built north or Adams Hat but that is a bit more north..
Lots of exciting projects in Deep Ellum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:07 PM
クラブトクヨ

Epic will be nice addition for Dallas:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:00 PM

Yes! That has to be it! Thanks for the post. Looks like it's going to be a nice addition down there.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:05 PM
BANNED

I don't know the name of the tallest building in Dallas (the one outlined in neon, commonly referred to as "the green building"). But I recall at one time there was talk that two of them were originally proposed - essentially twin towers of that same building. Is it possible that the twin will ever be built?

Are there plans for a supertall in Dallas in the immediate future? That skyline has so much potential, especially considering the number of old and abandoned buildings and parking lots located adjacent to downtown Dallas.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I don't know the name of the tallest building in Dallas (the one outlined in neon, commonly referred to as "the green building"). But I recall at one time there was talk that two of them were originally proposed - essentially twin towers of that same building. Is it possible that the twin will ever be built?

Are there plans for a supertall in Dallas in the immediate future? That skyline has so much potential, especially considering the number of old and abandoned buildings and parking lots located adjacent to downtown Dallas.
I don't think there were ever two of the green outline buildings planned. The building was put up by the old First National Bank of Dallas and eventually wound up in the hands of B of A. I think it went up in around the time of the 1980s energy bust that left Texas banks in bad shape and needing rescue. I am sure other Dallas folks (I live in Austin) can tell you more about any plans for a super tall on the horizon. Seems like there are always plans for a super tall in Dallas, but things have a way of not happening. I believe one was announced about a year or so ago. In defense of downtown Dallas, a lot of the old abandoned high rises have been re-purposed. There are now several thousand people living downtown and it is generally a much nicer place than it was just a few years ago. The area immediately adjacent to the north is booming, and there is suddenly a lot of development happening to the east of downtown and across the river from downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:43 PM
クラブトクヨ

Don’t know about the green building but fountain place currently has a complementing apartment tower currently under construction, 46 stories.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:22 AM

Dallas' chances of getting a supertall are very limited due to FAA enforced height restrictions over the CBD due to it's location under Love Field's flight path. There's a couple lots that could possibly have a supertall I believe. The B of A building was actually supposed to be taller than it is, but they had to reduce the height because of the FAA.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas' chances of getting a supertall are very limited due to FAA enforced height restrictions over the CBD due to it's location under Love Field's flight path. There's a couple lots that could possibly have a supertall I believe. The B of A building was actually supposed to be taller than it is, but they had to reduce the height because of the FAA.
The FFA has no height restrictions for the far western sections of Downtown Dallas including the south section. Although there’s no flight path over downtown the eastern half does have some height restrictions due to the fight path east of Central Expressway over East Dallas. Here are two supertalls proposed for Dallas. Dallas Smart District 78-story Tower 1,121 ft. And Ross Perot Tower 70-story circular tower.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-es...-headquarters/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ross...1YDeoiTMY_8MM:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I don't think there were ever two of the green outline buildings planned. The building was put up by the old First National Bank of Dallas and eventually wound up in the hands of B of A. I think it went up in around the time of the 1980s energy bust that left Texas banks in bad shape and needing rescue. I am sure other Dallas folks (I live in Austin) can tell you more about any plans for a super tall on the horizon. Seems like there are always plans for a super tall in Dallas, but things have a way of not happening. I believe one was announced about a year or so ago. In defense of downtown Dallas, a lot of the old abandoned high rises have been re-purposed. There are now several thousand people living downtown and it is generally a much nicer place than it was just a few years ago. The area immediately adjacent to the north is booming, and there is suddenly a lot of development happening to the east of downtown and across the river from downtown.
The Bank of America Plaza was actually originally going to be a twin tower project but unfortunately the second tower was cancelled. There was also going to be a couple of floors on top to "Pyramid" the roof. The outline of the tower was to be of gold coloring instead of green. For fun, the link below can provide additional information.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...tch-its-height

I do not believe there are any plans to build the twin tower, but I sure would hope to see that. Fun Fact: Cityplace tower, Fountain Place and Bank of America were all proposed to have a twin tower. None completed. Dallas would have been a city of twins. Cheers!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:08 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Patrick View Post
The Bank of America Plaza was actually originally going to be a twin tower project but unfortunately the second tower was cancelled. There was also going to be a couple of floors on top to "Pyramid" the roof. The outline of the tower was to be of gold coloring instead of green. For fun, the link below can provide additional information.

I do not believe there are any plans to build the twin tower, but I sure would hope to see that. Fun Fact: Cityplace tower, Fountain Place and Bank of America were all proposed to have a twin tower. None completed. Dallas would have been a city of twins. Cheers!
Neat information!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:48 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
The FFA has no height restrictions for the far western sections of Downtown Dallas including the south section. Although there’s no flight path over downtown the eastern half does have some height restrictions due to the fight path east of Central Expressway over East Dallas. Here are two supertalls proposed for Dallas. Dallas Smart District 78-story Tower 1,121 ft. And Ross Perot Tower 70-story circular tower.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-es...-headquarters/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ross...1YDeoiTMY_8MM:

Do you have a source? I'm curious.

Just because something is proposed for a certain plot, that does not mean there are no restrictions for said site. Look at Austin's proposed 6th & Guadalupe tower for example. The developer was possibly going to push upwards of 75 stories & roughly 1,000', but, the FAA stepoed in and shortened the max height (due to archaic line-of-sight restrictions) to 842' tall.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Do you have a source? I'm curious.

Just because something is proposed for a certain plot, that does not mean there are no restrictions for said site. Look at Austin's proposed 6th & Guadalupe tower for example. The developer was possibly going to push upwards of 75 stories & roughly 1,000', but, the FAA stepoed in and shortened the max height (due to archaic line-of-sight restrictions) to 842' tall.
The lot where the Perot/Foster circular tower is proposed is the only one in Downtown zoned for a 100+ story building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Patrick View Post

Great article! I never knew about the original plans. I lived in California at the time, but as a Fort Worth native, I took a lively (envious) interest in the building boom in Dallas during that period.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:05 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
The lot where the Perot/Foster circular tower is proposed is the only one in Downtown zoned for a 100+ story building.
Isn't that the tract which already received an FAA determination of 1,080'?

Also, I'm not sure if the "zoning" has been approved. The project is still a proposal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Isn't that the tract which already received an FAA determination of 1,080'?

Also, I'm not sure if the "zoning" has been approved. The project is still a proposal.

There is FAA mandated height zoning because of the closeness of Love Field to Downtown Dallas. The maps and charts have been posted before.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Epic will be nice addition for Dallas:
This will be an epic game changer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:48 PM
Hopeful Graduate

So there are are currently 6 cranes in Deep Ellum!

The Epic - 3 cranes

Texas A&M Dental School - 2 cranes

The Gabrielle - 1 crane

With 1 or 2 more on the way from Crescent!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:50 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Pics from that angle don't really give a great impression of the impact of the Uptown skyline.
Maybe this will be more to your liking:

Uptown/Downtown Dallaa by Thymant, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:08 PM

not a bad shot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations