HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:55 PM
BROOKLYN

Great progress but I think it will be a while until it breaks the Central Park skyline

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 2:53 PM

If this building is waterviewed, I'd actually prefer it to be done at a lower height as I'd hate to have a concrete skeleton ruin the view from Central Park.

On the bright side, the good thing about a potentially waterviewed C57 is that the base structure would be easily clad and usable for business.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Unlike Chicago, there is a very strong, international demand for ultra-luxury apartments in NY. Therefore, this will not be Waterviewed.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:37 PM

Waterview is the exception to high rise development. This project doesn't carry the same risk that Waterview did. Lots of people lost millions of dollars. No one wants it to happen again.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
This project doesn't carry the same risk that Waterview did. Lots of people lost millions of dollars. No one wants it to happen again.
No one wanted it to happen with Waterview either. Rest assured that if Gary Barnett doesn't get full construction as soon as expected, he will just put construction on hold, rather than cancelation. He's already done ahat with the Diamond Tower that was on hold for a year (now gearing up again for construction, and still without financing). The bottom line is, we are not yet guaranteed there will be no slow down or pause in construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Unlike Chicago, there is a very strong, international demand for ultra-luxury apartments in NY. Therefore, this will not be Waterviewed.
There is very strong demand for new office space in New York as well, but the financing spigot hasn't opened for that either just yet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:43 AM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 3, 2011

It was a nice, brisk day out, so I walked up here from the WTC site, and enjoyed every step.

With the Tower Verre asleep, New Yorkers seem blissfully unaware that another thousand foot monster slowly rises in the midst...

I love what they are doing with the streetwall here...

No movement meanwhile, on Barnett's other 57th Street site...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 10:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

There is very strong demand for new office space in New York as well, but the financing spigot hasn't opened for that either just yet.
Even that's opening up though. BP is about to start 250 W 55th and Vornado is about to move forward thanks to Chinese funding.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Even that's opening up though. BP is about to start 250 W 55th and Vornado is about to move forward thanks to Chinese funding.
That's correct. The 250 W. 55th street tower now has tenants on hand ad Vornado has money from investors it needs to help finance the bus terminal tower, but also needs to get that one underway or lose the rights to develop the tower back to the Port Authority.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:45 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

With what has risen so far, financing would seem like an afterthought. I'll be assured Barnett will build Carnegie tower without any significant delays in construction.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 7:48 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

From Portzamparc's website:

Finally an official rendering that shows the setback on the north side. Also apparently 2' shorter than the height we have for it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 8:13 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ nice find! thank god it's still over 1000ft.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:33 PM
New Yorker for life

I love it even more with that last rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
With what has risen so far, financing would seem like an afterthought. I'll be assured Barnett will build Carnegie tower without any significant delays in construction.
Again, see Waterview, a tower with much more progress...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=185023

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Nice. Also, I see 400 park avenue also there. I hope that one gets going.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 2:32 AM
JACKinBeantown

Anybody have a recent shot from 58th street?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 10:43 PM

I have one around somewhere at home. There's not much to see, though, because the setback is so severe. It's going to take a few more floors before you can even see what happened.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:13 AM
Danny proud New Yorker

here's some pics I took from today

Here's a couple of the crane from central park

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 1:04 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I can wait until this starts covering up that blight that is Carnegie Hall Tower.

Quote:
Waterview was 75% sold. It was not an issue of demand, which was clearly present and better performing than either other supertall under construction in Chicago at the time, Trump Tower Chicago or the Chicago Spire. It was a lack of financing of the structure and an unexperienced developer who went ahead on their own money, then ran out in the middle of a recession and bankrupted the entire company. Not to mention its hotel tenant pulling out.

Regardless, I doubt anything like that will happen with this building as this is quite a different time and the developer has been moving as financing allows.

Last edited by Alliance; Apr 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I can wait until this starts covering up that blight that is Carnegie Hall Tower.
Bwaaah, excuse me BLIGHT?
Besides being a really great tower, I can think of several towers in the Central Park south neighborhood that would constitute as BLIGHT, and Carnegie tower is not one of them. How about the tower neighboring carnegie 57 for starters?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:58 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Bwaaah, excuse me BLIGHT?
Besides being a really great tower, I can think of several towers in the Central Park south neighborhood that would constitute as BLIGHT, and Carnegie tower is not one of them. How about the tower neighboring carnegie 57 for starters?
Its not really blight as in a surface lot or an unsalvageable building, but for something thats trying to make its presence known, its pretty repulsive in my book.

Metropolitan Tower? Its by far the most solid of the 3. Simple, unique forms. Its not trying to be anything its not and succeedes. Its classic, erratic overuse of spandrel don't really make it an exceptional tower, but at least its visually appealing and dynamic. Its actually motivated me to stop and to look at it. Carnegie Hall tower has the same problems Metroplitan Tower does, but with skittles-vomit colors, square pomo windows and nothing but a facade of vapid decoration on the same flat boring form. Little downtown Italian brownstones don't go up 60 stories and they were never meant to. No one is fooled (except for the AIA apparently). The only thing interesting about it is its proximity to Metopolitan Tower.

City Spire is no better either, not to mention its horrible integration into the block. I seriously cant believe Pelli and Jahn actually got away with designing these things. Its not even that they're just tolerated, they're celebrated. Its actually infuriatingly incomprehensible to me. What a gross misuse of talent. New York deserves better; luckily this tower is promising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive