HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 3:07 AM

Giving Vancouver Some Cosmetic Surgery

Vancouver, as most will agree, is an exciting city that is going places.

We don't need to be told about new construction, rapid transit, freeways, highrises, and amenities being planned or being built.

However, as has been pointed out, there is often a lack of attention to the "finer points," such as lamp standards, which are usually utilitarian and rather ugly, even on streets like Robson, a lack of proper curbs on many streets, telephone poles the wiring of which could be placed underground, and the need for a finer texture to the concrete traffic barriers (like using stonework in noticeable locations, or some form of design to render them more aesthetic, for example).

All this, plus perhaps more planting, more attention to pedestrian lighting - you name it - are all things which would add a finer texture to the city.

I would like to invite people to submit ideas here, if they are interested, that would lend a "tonier," more refined look to the city, not only in the rich districts, but throughout the metro area.
Many people do not care, or think it's just fine as is, but if you DO care, and DO think there are ways to make the city look smarter, and sleeker, please share your ideas.
Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 4:19 AM
Vancouverite

I wouldn't mind all of downtown to get some cosmetic surgery, but the rest of Vancouver is pretty fine I guess in regards to street walks.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 4:44 AM

Meh. I hate to say it but this sounds more like nitpicking to the finest detail. xD

Really, the only thing that should be fixed is the upgrade of some local city streets who still have gravel parking aprons and a lack of roadside curbs (and sidewalks). =O Maybe some alleyways could get paved over as well, although they seem to be getting rarer lately.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 5:09 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Who's going to pay for this 'tonier' look?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 6:23 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

For a change I completely agree with the OP. The finer details are what make or break a place, and we don't need to speak about expensive items to make that happen. Sure u/g powerlines would be great but that's a huge expense, but there are lots of little things that can be done cheaply that have a huge impact.
Couple of cheap things that are done around town that make it feel better are drawing leaves onto the sidewalks in and around Yaletown, inserting quotes from books into the sidewalks around the library square.
The designed mancover holes are only slightly more expensive then the standard ones but add a nice touch.
The wraps installed on some of the hydroboxes are a nice touch and have proven no more expensive then constantly painting over graffiti on them anyways.
The new built-in newspaper boxes are much nicer then the standalone versions and again don't cost the city anymore money as they charge back for it.
There a many similar little things that the city can and should do that make a meaningful difference in our daily city experience.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:33 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
For a change I completely agree with the OP . . . . .

There a many similar little things that the city can and should do that make a meaningful difference in our daily city experience.

. . . . What does OP mean, please .... (hmmmm) ???

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:36 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Origional poster. Welcome to the interwebs

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

. . . . What does OP mean, please .... (hmmmm) ???
Original Post or Original Poster...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:02 AM

finer things

Well as Meis van der Rhoe said, 'God is in the Details' and I could not agree more.

There are things I notice everyday that could be improved. The other day I was walking up Howe checking out the new bike lane dividers. I was thinking, geez, why didn't they install planters for trees or shrubs in the median?? Then I walked further up the street and they do have planters sitting on a top of a few sections. Plastic, ugly planters. Better than nothing I guess but seemed to be a cheap oversight.

On the west end, false creek north sea wall it would be nice to have some sort of uniform type plantings. Seems like nothing new has been planted in years and there are some areas that need sprucing up.

And it would be nice to see the return of every other block trash cans especially in busy or high traffic areas. The city removed them a couple of years ago and since then I have noticed considerably more garbage on the streets.

Granville bridge, it is amazing that on the cross walks there are accidents nearly every day as people speed way too fast over the bridge and then slam on their brakes nearly missing pedestrians. Two weeks ago I saw someone completely run over on the Seymour off ramp on the North side of the bridge. I am not sure if he even survived. When the ambulance took him away it left very slowly with lights off so I am not real confident that he survived. Cross walk lights are needed or at the very least flashing warning signs that there is a cross walk ahead. I have also seen many cars rear ended as cars slam on their breaks to avoid hitting someone in the cross walk and the speeder behind smashes into them. See it at least once a week, no kidding or exaggeration.

Since I am speaking of cross walks, some of the crossings over very wide and busy streets....Pacific and Richards comes to mind, the green walk light last literally 5 seconds, then flashes orange for another 5 and boom it is red. Very dangerous. I practically run across and still don't make it. Feel sorry for those who are elderly or who have a kid or dog in tow. There are many such ill timed crosswalks. This city says it is for the pedestrians and bikers but still seems to be a carcentric city.

On a larger scale.....

Oh, Granville Street redesign, a complete fail IMHO. It looks absolutely junky with all those - hundreds? of dark grey light poles and numerous short poles to hem in the on sidewalk parking. They should have gotten rid of parking entirely. Dweeby trees and crummy benches, cheap lighting, etc. Gosh, we all deserve better. The saving grace is at night the lights make it appear a bit better at a distance. Up close, not so much. They should rip the street up and start over.

Just a few of my rants. The city does a lot of great however and I am thankful. I love the double tree plantings on many streets. Wish thought that they would plant trees that would mature into a decent height. There are some blocks that have gorgeous maples but other blocks have miniature tree versions that will never grow big.

Lastly, ban virtually all left turns in this city unless there is a left turn lane or where there is no other choice. The cities traffic would run SO much smoother.

Last edited by vanhattan; Nov 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM. Reason: completion of missing sentence.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:36 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhattan View Post
Well as Meis van der Rhoe said, 'God is in the Details' and I could not agree more.

There are things I notice everyday that could be improved. The other day I was walking up Howe checking out the new bike lane dividers. I was thinking, geez, why didn't they install planters for trees or shrubs in the median?? Then I walked further up the street and they do have planters sitting on a top of a few sections. Plastic, ugly planters. Better than nothing I guess but seemed to be a cheap oversight.
I believe the plastic planters are there as opposed to trees/shrubs because the Hornby/Dunsmuir bike lanes are supposed to be just a "trial". Whether that turns out to be the case in the end, who knows.

A lot of what else you posted doesn't really have much to do with cosmetic details but more on transportation/operations. Not that I disagree with a lot of what you say, but it isn't really the topic here. On Granville street I do agree with a lot of what you're saying. I think the parking situation is a mess. It only sort of works. After hours when the cars are gone the sidewalk is so broken up by all the massive bollards it hasn't achieved the desired effect (in my opinion). And don't get me started on the street trees. They are absolutely puny and beyond that, are the same as every other fricken street tree in the city (in the past 10 years or so). I don't want this to turn into a palm tree debacle, but the city needs more options when it comes to street trees. Oh, and make the planters big enough for the damn root balls, how many broken sidewalks are there around the city with the half-ass asphalt fixes? Disgusting.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:53 PM

speaking of granviell one of the restaurants on granville has added an outdoor patio but its about 2 feet from the parking spot - so if a car is parked you have to squeeze your way past that part its not a very good idea to have both

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:21 PM

I have to agree with this as well. I moved here from the UK a couple of years ago and it took me a while to figure out what it was with the city that didn't quite seem right. It's sorely lacking in the finer details and missing that polished look pretty much everywhere. A good example is Gastown - the cobbled street is a complete mess and half the bulbs on those signature street lights don't even work. This to me really is really one of the things that sets it down a notch from places like Sydney. It would be nice to see properly paved side-walks downtown as well, not the concrete ones that seem more suited to suburbia.

Is this something that we'll ever see improve? It really does make all the difference.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:33 PM

Remember that the whole Granville Mall revitalization (including the replacement of mature trees with saplings) was "cosmetic surgery" - so be careful what you wish for. The light tubes look great though.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Remember that the whole Granville Mall revitalization (including the replacement of mature trees with saplings) was "cosmetic surgery" - so be careful what you wish for. The light tubes look great though.
Granville Mall may not be to everyone's taste, but at least it doesn't look like it's in a continual state of disrepair.

Some places just need better upkeep, like the light bulbs and roads in Gastown. Then other places just seem grossly under landscaped or designed. I think a lot of the structures on the streets haven't seen any maintenance since being put up. Lamps, mailboxes, sidewalks or any other structure that is in the public domain. I'd rather see some effort and dislike what's been done, than simply no effort at all.

It's not all bad though. I think the Olympic Village area of False Creek is nicely done as well as the Convention Centre / Canada Place area. It's just frustrating to see these missing subtle touches that make such a big difference.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:32 PM

It seems like the City adopts grand projects to get these things done rather than on a smaller scale basis or adjusting plans to work with what's there.
I think that Granville north of Georgia (where trees were retained) and Oppenheimer Park (after the Japanese community protested the removal of the heritage cherry trees) are exceptions.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:00 AM

isn't a lot of stuff left up to neighbourhood associations though? like chinatown or the heights - they have their own sort of look and stuff going on cause of their BIA's and they can apply for funding or whatever to get the street furnishings done

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:46 AM

more road reflectors, and some good lighting on highrises,

maybe sky crosswalks on main intersections

but seeing the temperature drop these days, reminds me why ppl depend on cars instead of their legs

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:58 AM
Website Manager

Vancouver needs a permanent pressure washing crew who's only job is to roam the city pressure washing buildings and sidewalks. So much of the city is covered in mildew.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:45 AM

and the gum lately its just gross - i heard a few people commenting on the gum on saturday it was like weird cause my friend had just said whats with all the gum and than we past some people and they said the same thing to each other

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:24 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Vancouver needs a permanent pressure washing crew who's only job is to roam the city pressure washing buildings and sidewalks. So much of the city is covered in mildew.
...But they would get to the Telus Boot and spend the rest of the year on that slimy ziggurat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues