HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:40 PM
Red October standing by

awesome tour and photos. the city looks laidback in these photos, is it?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hmm... not sure what you mean by laidback. Small? Provincial? Then yes. We have a distinct culture, so that elevates the quality of everything here... but it's still a small city.

If you just mean... laissez-faire... then yes and no. It's more chaotic and vulgar and confrontational than pictures could ever express.

If you walk through St. John's at night, you will be accosted by people.

Either it's skeets bumming a smoke,or George Street queens shouting shit like, "Hey buddy, you're gear! Come home wit' me tonight I chews the cock right off ya!".

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That view from Eastern Passage looks so busy, I love it. You can picture people and things going on, on the water, the whole way there.

So, today my hike was to the top of Cuckold's Cove, which is in between St. John's and Quidi Vidi, basically across Cuckold's Cove from the backside of Signal Hill. A few scenes from there and the parking garage of 351 Water Street.

Video Link

I love, love, love autumn. The blueberry shrubs turn red, the moss turns yellow, and with the patches of green that still remain, it's just delicious.

A view across Cuckold's Cove to Cabot Tower and Signal Hill.

The Quidi Vidi Battery, which is an actual battery and not just a neighbourhood names after one long gone, as in the Battery proper.

The little fishing village of Quidi Vidi, just a 10-minute walk over the hill from downtown St. John's.

Pleasantville (formerly an American base, and massive. It's been divided up and gradually sold off and shut down since Canada took control. The city has a master plan to develop the entire neighbourhood with different styles of housing that achieve the same population density as downtown (up to 6,000 ppl/km2).

A waterfall with some weird... thing... on it. My family's ancestral home in Quidi Vidi, I practically grew up out there visiting relatives, and I have never, ever noticed that waterfall before.

Fishing rooms in Quidi Vidi.

The political pundits here are getting a kick out of Confederation Building still being wrapped in a giant condom.

Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador. 19,000 students and rising.

Cuckhold's Cove.

The St. John's Convention Centre expansion.

The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador and various other buildings in the downtown.

Water Street West.

Harbour Drive and the harbour apron.

Our harbourside kiosks - Legros & Motti, Jack Astor's, and The Keg.

Old St. John's.

Working on the roof of the St. John's Convention Centre.

The stairs up into the residential Old Town from Mile One Centre.

Another shot of the convention centre expansion.

Fortis Place and the JAG Hotel.

The City of St. John's flag.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 12:06 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Out on the town with a couple of good-looking volunteers to get a few shots for the old portfolio.

Video Link

Fogtown Barber Shop. You get a free beer while they turn ya out.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 1:37 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few shots of the City of Legends tonight, set to the latest single from my favourite artist alive. So grateful to be living at the same time as both.

Video Link

The Rooms and the Roman Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, towering above the Old East End.

Fortis Place and 351, with the Old West End climbing the hills behind.

St. Patrick's Hall (also known as the Benevolent Irish Society, the first charity in North America; now condos).

The Old East End framed by the east wing of the "new" Newfoundland Hotel. The school on the left is Bishop Field. St. John's still has most of her old downtown schools in operation. One of her hospitals is still open as well. Helps keep the residential neighbourhoods near downtown really lively - not all old folks and hipsters.

The hills behind Memorial belong to Pippy Park, one of the world's largest urban parks. The campground actually has views of the Confederation Building and downtown beyond. And you don't even want to know how much sex is going on along the trails in those woods right now. I've seen it all... even a guy who gave me the thumbs up while missus hid her face, and a chick in a red wig masturbating alone. When I was growing up, Signal Hill was the place - and nearby Cuckold's Cove if you were gay. Now, that's too busy - so the works of'em are in the park.

Confederation Building and Elizabeth Towers, near the Little Canada neighbourhood in the East End. Prince Philip Drive, commonly known as "the Parkway", is the main inner-city commuter highway in front of Confederation Building.

Elizabeth Avenue, where the two tallest buildings in the city will soon be built.

Old St. John's from 351.

St. Patrick's Hall from the other side; some of the bars and clubs of George Street in the foreground.

The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, its congregation established in 1699.

Fortis Place and the new JAG Hotel.

Water Street West, just 2-3 blocks shy of where it is cut by an arterial highway and becomes entirely dead/residential.

Cabot Place Complex, Mile One Stadium, and the St. John's Convention Centre in the Downtown West End.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Filmed a lovely drive through the Old West End today in the RDF (rain, drizzle, and fog) - but the camera was out of focus the entire time. But did get four quick and dirty shots of some changes in my neighbourhood, Rabbittown. As the show Slattery Street Crockers famously put it: "Poverty with 200 channels."

Video Link

Here's where these four shots are taken:

Some new in-fill beside Tony's, across the street from the superette and Leo's Fish & Chips. Saigon, a new Vietnamese place, is right there as well.

The new Kimchi & Sushi Place. It still cracks me up no end how this neighbourhood is changing. Right next door to the Peter Easton, where it's still possible to see a very pregnant woman out having a smoke with her beer on the front step at 9 a.m. on a Tuesday. You can't see them behind the truck but you can see, at noon, the door is already open and there were people out having a smoke break. Lots of halfway houses and a food kitchen fill out the rest of the block. The first green house, right next to the pub - I almost bought it. Saw it, was ready to put in an offer the next day, Mom phoned me at like 3:30 a.m., couldn't sleep. "I'm not having it, Ryan, sorry. You're an adult now, and I know I can't tell you what to do, but you are not living in that house. Please don't put me through that." I was just moving back from Winnipeg, having left a job that regularly sent me into the North End and Elmwood. If anyone tried anything, I would've laughed in their faces. Certainly lost whatever fight resulted. But I would've laughed in their faces anyway. Not afraid of skeets anymore.

Formosa Tea House at the top of Cookstown Road, leading down into what was once the Central Slum of St. John's. Yes, when that area (about three square city blocks worth, with a population density higher than London, U.K.) was destroyed in the 1950s, they saved Rabbittown because it was exponentially NICER.

A couple of businesses in this little cluster. Includes another superette, pizzeria, fish n chips place, bike shop, yoga studio, art galleries, etc. And a handsome lad.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 7:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 26

Joanne is still recovering so I had to pop by today to cut all her squash and scoop out the seeds.

We took a break to go for a little jaunt along Rennie's River.

The trail runs largely in between Old St. John's (south) and post-1949 construction north Empire Avenue. You can see the river here labelled Rennie's Mill River in blue:

Video Link

There are still some flowering bushes out.

And, with all the RDF we've been having, the river was a little higher than normal.

The fall colours are in full force. Some of the trees are already mostly bare. It won't last much longer now. Especially if we get more strong winds.

This portion of the river used to be a very popular public swimming area. In the same way they still do in Corner Brook, the river was dammed to make a proper swimming spot.

That's long gone now, but the stairs up out of the water are still there.

I'm so happy the city maintained public access along the waterways. It'd suck for all this to just be someone's private backyard.

Still lots of green around too.

I forget what these are called. They're not the real bamboo that you find in other parts of the city.

Some unusual litter.

We stopped at the Memorial Stadium Dominion for a quick snack beside Quidi Vidi Lake.

The loneliest seat in the house.

Run, missus, while ya still can...

Joanne thinks they're a lesbian couple because the penmanship is too nice for a straight guy.

This street is one of only a handful in the city that, if I didn't know better, I'd never guess was here. The style of homes is unusual for us.

I love whatever this type of tree is that has orange, red, yellow, and green all at the same time.

And then it was time to drive back to my place.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

November 3

A delightful taste of late summer in St. John's today. Sunny and the temperature peaked at 18.5C.

Video Link

St. John's has a bit of a curse when it comes to taking photographs facing it. With a few prominent exceptions, you only ever see the backside of our downtown.

My MS Paint attempt to explain:

All those plain buildings down close to the harbour are actually the beautiful stone facades of Water and Duckworth. You just only ever see their hideous backsides.

An example for ya...

This is what you see (more or less) when facing the city:

So the above is taken about half-way between Water and Duckworth Street, right where the Water Street buildings end and the Duckworth ones begin. Below is taken from the far side of Duckworth, looking at the Duckworth-facing side of the same buildings above:

We should count the backside of our buildings for height. Half the downtown would be 7-10 floors.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:24 PM
Editor

Nice photos Ryan! I'm looking forward to the next trip out there.....sometime in late Spring by the looks of it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome. Keep us posted - we've been anxious for a forum meet with someone outside the regular crew.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

November 6, 2014 - On the Edge

Today I went for a drive around the edge of the St. John's CMA to photograph its various borders, the edges of the urban area. Some are in commonly-photographed areas, others are areas I've never photographed before. I've included a map with the photos from each location.

Video Link

Goulds is the southernmost neighbourhood of St. John's proper - a mix of few surviving farms and subdivisions that range in age from about 25 years old to brand new. And, of course, you can even see Signal Hill from here.

Then I went to Cape Spear, billed as the most easterly point in North America. It, too, offers spectacular views of Signal Hill. The entrance to St. John's Harbour, the Narrows, is far too small to see much of the city from this angle.

Then it's off to Shea Heights, formerly a slum that has slowly become a proper residential neighbourhood since the early 1950s. It still has a horrible reputation overall, although these days it's largely undeserved. Still, though, no shortage of wrecked cars and building scraps in people's yards. However, the views of the city from this neighbourhood are spectacular.

Torbay is the northernmost community of any significant size within the St. John's CMA, though its borders actually include the entirety of the Northeast Avalon Peninsula. It's a 450-year-old village surrounded by new subdivisions.

Next up is Portugal Cove-St. Phillip's, including the view across to the suburban town of Wabana on Bell Island. Although these communities are old, they are probably among the most dependent on St. John's for everything. Almost everyone who lives in this area works in the city.

And then it was back to the Outer Ring Road, which is the main highway surrounding St. John's and its suburban municipalities. It's at the crest of a rolling hill and so offers wonderful views across the cities of St. John's and Mount Pearl and, even when you can't see much, suburban sprawl is never far.

Then it's Paradise. This town's name is a bit of a lie. It's one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada and has grown from fewer than 3,000 to more than 17,000 in just a couple of decades. It is the absolute worst of suburbia - no urban planning whatsoever, just a subdivision cash grab.

And, finally, Conception Bay South. Now officially the second-largest community in the province, eclipsing Mount Pearl by several hundred residents (both are approximately 25,000). Conception Bay South is an amalgamation of a half dozen or more former towns and extends from Topsail to Holyrood.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:29 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice shots mate!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 2:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, FREKI!

It was a gorgoeus but chilly day in St. John's. The final day of the tax-free sale at all downtown shops - and Armistice Day/Remembrance Day.

Video Link

The intersection of Garrison Hill, Queen's Road, Bond Street, Cathedral Street, Church Hill, New Gower Street, and Long's Hill.

Bright and red on Duckworth Street.

The intersection of Cathedral and Duckworth streets. The two restaurants at right are both quite popular. India Gate, which is obviously Indian food, and Saltwater, which is Newfoundland-Serbian fusion cuisine.

Outside Rocket Bakery on Water Street. This guy's hat is my favourite Republic of NL one I've seen. I love it!

Rocket was, as usual, packed. I love bakeries where you can sit in the bay windows like this family.

The crowd sitting outside The Rocket enjoying the beautiful weather and taking a break from tax-free shopping.

CELEBRITY SIGHTING! The incomparable Jonathan Munro. His father (from Montreal; mother local; he was born and raised here) started the threatre company that led to CODCO and just about every contemporary Newfoundland celebrity. He's one of the world's leading theatre actors (and a former classical pianist who played everywhere, even Carnegie Hall), currently based in NYC.

And, chatted with him - didn't get into politics too much but asked what he loves most about NYC. Then asked if there are any similarities. And he said yes, and that's why he chose NYC over Toronto. He said the people are just as friendly, they're Atlantic, and there's the same "enriching quality of life". So, music to my ears, as you can imagine.

And a clip of him performing here earlier in the year for the grand opening of a new highrise:

Video Link

Water Street at the intersection with George Street and Beck's Cove.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 10:25 AM
RIP Knut!

I'd love to retire in this city. I'd love having snow for so many months in the year

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 2:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, Pallo!

Just be forewarned - we get a SHITLOAD of snow. Like, more than you can probably imagine. But it usually melts right away, often as it's falling. You only get, in an average year, 11 days consecutively below freezing with little or no snow melt. All the rest of the time, it's melting away - usually a little slower than it's replenished.

It's a wet, soggy, sloppy, messy winter - not a fluffy, white one.

Cheeky song choice for today's walk.

Video Link

November 13, 2014

Our little commercial strip in Rabbittown now has a Fixed Coffee & Baking location, the second in the city. We're coming up in the world.

But, of course, I still prefer the downtown location. It's such a fun little cafe.

Some of the wreaths at minor memorials throughout the city.

Willicott's Lane. Ayreonaut is working on a piece for his Folklore class at Memorial about the lanes, what service they provided (access/exit for servants/deliveries traditionally, now they're generally used as common areas/playgrounds).

No smiles. It's cold enough today that we have to bundle up. Gloves and all.

A little tricolour stage outside LSPU Hall on Victoria Street. I think it stands for Longshoreman's Protective Union. It's the most prestigious performing arts hall in the city, and most beloved.

Some of the wreaths at the National War Memorial off Duckworth.

Then off to the Bagel Cafe for the best fast food toutons in the city.

Irish Empire, indeed. This is why I love this city:

Stogged full of touton, then this... FML...

No idea what these men or who is doing them, but there are a dozen different styles of crow outlines spraypainted absolutely everywhere around the downtown.

Peer pressure.

My favourite little school in the downtown. Bishop Feild.

The Colonial Building, our former Parliament, restoration continues. I can't wait for this one to be open. It's going to be by far the coolest museum in the city. All sorts of special effects for the exhibits are planned - for example, when you go to the room dedicated to the 1932 riots, lighting and sound effects will make it seem as though the windows are being shattered, people are screaming, etc.

Bannerman Park, which surrounds the building.

By far my favourite street name in the city. And it's in the hipster/gentrified Georgestown neighbourhood, which is... middle class prestigious? Is that a thing?

And back at the beginning of Rabbittown, just about home.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:16 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks, Pallo!

Just be forewarned - we get a SHITLOAD of snow. Like, more than you can probably imagine. But it usually melts right away, often as it's falling. You only get, in an average year, 11 days consecutively below freezing with little or no snow melt. All the rest of the time, it's melting away - usually a little slower than it's replenished.

It's a wet, soggy, sloppy, messy winter - not a fluffy, white one.

Oh wow, no snow accumulation? That's ok I guess, I like fog and wind too. As long as I rarely see the sun that's the most important thing for me

Are you summer nice and fresh? do you keep winter duvets on your bed all year long at night?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 10:54 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh there is still some accumulation. Every year. And on colder than normal years, like last year, there is a lot. It's very possible to have lots. I think our record is 68 cm of snow on the ground at any single moment. But to compare we get up to 335 cm total in an average winter. So that's how much melts.

Also, not just here but across North America, there's usually a brief warm period in January for some reason. Lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:35 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh there is still some accumulation. Every year. And on colder than normal years, like last year, there is a lot. It's very possible to have lots. I think our record is 68 cm of snow on the ground at any single moment. But to compare we get up to 335 cm total in an average winter. So that's how much melts.

Also, not just here but across North America, there's usually a brief warm period in January for some reason. Lol
what are summers like? could i keep my winter covers on my bed all year around?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 11:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Summers would be cold to you, yeah. We average about 20C as a daily high in July/August, but there are plenty of days that near 25C and there's usually a humidex value making it feel much warmer than that. Of course, 20C being average, that also means there's plenty of days well below that too. Those are usually the foggy days, which knock 10C off the temp easy.

Spring is when you'd be miserable here. I think we have the worst spring on earth of places that actually get one. It's cold, seemingly endless, and very, very, very foggy. You might not see the sun for weeks.

On the flipside - autumn is equally endless. Our average daily high here is still 7C and we only dipped below freezing for the first time a few days ago. September was gorgeous, better than August.

As for winter sheets... I'm assuming that's an expression but if you meant it literally, it depends on what sort of property you get. An old rowhouse like mine, anything above 10C with the sun shining and you're in a sweat on the second floor. Modern home, you could have your heat on into June and never get rid of the winter covers.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And we have a winner - Corner Brook's Irma Gerd is our newest Drag Idol. It's one of the first times the winner hasn't been from St. John's, but he had the crowds chanting his name all night. He did great in the lip sync, was hilarious in the runway competition (for self-stitched creations), and even blew away the talent portion. I can't remember any more what the other two rounds involved.

This is Irma:

And a couple of pics of from last night's lip sync and talent portion:

And here are some scenes from the first two rounds last night. We didn't eliminate the first contestant until 2 a.m., it went on forever, so I only have footage from those two.

And Dr. Androbox (the drag king who does that Get Lucky song from last year or the year before) was awesome too. She definitely got the second-biggest applause of the night. She could've been the first drag king to win ever, but I'm not sure how the six judges scored her.

Starts with an intro performance by Doris, who's so bad she's good.

Video Link

Also, one of the contestants was a boy with autism who is quite sensitive. So they warned the judges beforehand to be fair but very gentle - no digs like they give to them normally. But they forgot to tell one of the judges, who was EXTRA mean because she couldn't figure out why everyone else was being so sweet. Oh God, brutal.

Also... the judges table was back-on to the performance area. "Irish Empire".

Also, earlier this week The 'Out'port (our LGBT mag) hosted a fashion show. Our own jeddy1989 organized it.

It included a drag queen, a city councillor, and a former NHL player as models - as well as all sorts of locals of all shapes and sizes. Two performances by Red Hot, a local dance troupe. It was hosted by one of the local celebrity hosts of OZ FM. And we had a minute of silence for trans* awareness.

It was held at the Johnson Geo Centre on Signal Hill. And it was great!

Getting ready:

The show:

And a video of the first performance by Red Hot:

Video Link

November 18, 2014

It was raining too hard for a walk, but I needed a pack so I went for a spin around the Cookstown Road area to the Queen's Road store and then a cruise along Water Street. Downtown was deserted - people here don't know what to do with proper, soaking rain.

Video Link

A little knot of streets coming together with Cookstown Road.

Three of the last remaining houses from the Central Slum of St. John's, which was bulldozed in the 1950s. They've been extensively fixed up and made suitable for habitation - but you can still tell they were slum houses by their roofs.

A little three-house block.

The Church Lad's Brigade Armoury.

Murder Row.

Sidewalk stairs.

Zapatas leading down to the stairs that lead down to George Street that leads down to Water Street.

Delta Hotel, Cabot Place Complex, the St. John's Convention Centre (left), and Mile One Centre (right).

I wish they'd require retail on the ground floor of all Water Street buildings. There are a handful, like these, that are entirely offices.

This is normally the type of shot I don't take - showing ALL the faults. But I love the little houses under the road so much. That giant pile covered in tires is our winter road salt.

This is what I'd normally do from an angle like that. X marks the spot.

Devon Row, formerly part of the residential properties of our Prime Minister and his staff. A lot of people think the Prime Minister used to live in Government House (me included), but that was the residence of our Governor (equivalent of Governor General) and is still today used by the provincial Lieutenant Governor.

The extreme east end of Duckworth Street.

Cavendish Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos