HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
A bridge to the ultra desirable destination of the UIC Pavilion parking lot? Aberdeen doesn't even continue on the south side of the IKE for a few blocks. DEAD END.
If you take a look at an overhead view, you'll see they could probably re-open Aberdeen down to Taylor without any building demolitions if they wanted. And linking University Village more closely to the West Loop as the UIC gradually expands to fill in some of those parking lots wouldn't be a bad thing.

As I said, I don't think any of that infrastructure work would be likely any time soon (as in the next couple of decades) even without this development. But building a tower over the formerly public right of way is a pretty permanent thing to do, and requires consideration of it's effect on the grid's development in the longer term.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:17 PM

Building permit issued for a new 4 story, 33 unit building with 43,000 sq feet of retail and restaurant space at the ground floor level at 1819 W Division. This is at Division & Honore and if you remember, this is the site where the Trader Joe's was supposed to go. That was shot down less than a month ago. Now it looks like we're going to get more density there at least and not JUST retail. This is good news I think. Architect is Antunovich.

It looks like the original application for the building permit was done on 6/5 which is before TJ's was shot down. I know that before, the plans were for a 35 or 39 unit building. So either it was never actually going to be that it would only be TJs or they knew it would be shot down and acted fast.

http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/bui...mber=100543892

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building permit issued for a new 4 story, 33 unit building with 43,000 sq feet of retail and restaurant space at the ground floor level at 1819 W Division. This is at Division & Honore and if you remember, this is the site where the Trader Joe's was supposed to go. That was shot down less than a month ago. Now it looks like we're going to get more density there at least and not JUST retail. This is good news I think. Architect is Antunovich.

It looks like the original application for the building permit was done on 6/5 which is before TJ's was shot down. I know that before, the plans were for a 35 or 39 unit building. So either it was never actually going to be that it would only be TJs or they knew it would be shot down and acted fast.

http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/bui...mber=100543892
Wow, they really had this puppy T'ed up. Great find.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:34 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ ^ Sure, I'll definitely take 33 housing units and that much retail space there anyday over shitty single use retail project. That being, said - Antunovich?! Wonderful. The developer's F%c$ you to the neighborhood?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Former CPS HQ Building on Clark in Loop

Deal to sell to Marc Realty fell through, and now it is being purchased by an investor that will keep the building as office after renovations.......

After what we learned this week about Marc Realty's latest residential project - the building at 2300 S Michigan that they recently sold for a huge profit, after turning it into the New Robert Taylor Homes North - see Crain's article on HUD/CHA's shady Supervoucher program, Marc cashed in big time by renting ~ one-third of its units there to the elite of the CHA's client base - I'm actually glad that they are not getting their hands on this building, as I have little doubt that's what they had up their sleeves for it (affordable housing programs can definitely be a good thing - don't get me wrong, and I'm definitely in support of the standard voucher program, but this waste of money putting people of little to very little means into expensive housing is bullshit - it screws over the taxpayers and the people in need on the CHA's voucher waiting list)..........I do think it's a shame though that a more reputable apartment developer couldn't jump in and acquire 125 S Clark.......

Some more on Marc Realty - this is part of their "MRR" joint venture with Chicago Apartment Finders. Curious - a JV with this (I'm assuming this is what they are) broker/agent/apartment referral type service.......but, alas, now the pieces of the puzzle may be falling into place. One must wonder if that is what Chicago Apartment Finders is really bringing to this venture.....steering these CHA Supervoucher holders to the MRR redevelopments???

At any rate, it's time for this supervoucher nonsense to die.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^^ ^ Sure, I'll definitely take 33 housing units and that much retail space there anyday over shitty single use retail project. That being, said - Antunovich?! Wonderful. The developer's F%c$ you to the neighborhood?
Considering Antunovich was the architect of the Trader Joe's and this permit was submitted before the community ever denied the TJ's - no it's not a "Fuck you" to the neighborhood. In fact, when the plan was 39 apartments in late 2011/early 2012, the architect was still Antunovich. So, the design may look like this as this is almost the same number of units and floors with the same architect

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2...ing-march.html

^ Remember, this is from 2011/2012 but it may be similar to what they may build today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
Wow, they really had this puppy T'ed up. Great find.
This is just a renewal of their original permit. It had passed most of the reviews (it was held up only by stormwater, landscape and fire IIRC) when they switched plans to one floor commercial-two floor parking (AKA Trader Joe).

Originally Rich Mellman was a partner and planned to be the retail tenant. For some unknown reason he backed out. This left the developer scrambling and TJ's was who he came up with.

The rezone of the property was a type 1 which has a one year sunset. The developer had to get a permit in place before January to keep the zoning.

I hope they build it, but the zoning is necessary to keep the appraisal value of the land up.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
This is just a renewal of their original permit. It had passed most of the reviews (it was held up only by stormwater, landscape and fire IIRC) when they switched plans to one floor commercial-two floor parking (AKA Trader Joe).
The original permit called for 35 units and this one calls for 33 units. Can you truly call that a renewal 100%? Although it's a small change, it's still a little different. I'm sure the process was expedited since the two plans are probably very similar, but I don't think you can call it a renewal fully.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:12 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ ^ So it's possible this is all just to keep their zoning alive, right?

The renderings's interesting - I'd actually thought the folks who could actually do real design at Antunovich had left the firm (for berkelhammer, if i have the name right, and probably other firms as well)...........

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I mistyped. Type 1s have a two year sunset. But yes the clock is ticking.
The permit had already jumped through most of it's hoops and it is cheap insurance.
I think the market is high enough that they will find financing and build it.
But that whole Milwaukee-Winnebago planned development was a Smithfield project that languished for years because they had added enough to their bottom line the day they changed the original zoning.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

The renderings's interesting - I'd actually thought the folks who could actually do real design at Antunovich had left the firm (for berkelhammer, if i have the name right, and probably other firms as well)...........
Berkelhamer is the design architect, but he came from Booth Hansen.

Antunovich is the architect-of-record-of-choice for Berkelhamer, probably because they work cheap.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Oh, that's right - thanks, as I got mixed up........makes sense as the first design architect at Sono was Booth Hansen....then second tower Berkelhamer.....

So that is Antunovich's primary appeal, right - cut-rate fees?? What does it say about a developer like McCaffery who uses such a basement dweller as Antunovich almost exclusively?? That they don't give a shit about architecture and design, period, of course....

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:42 PM
dream fast

Quote:
The neighborhood was on board with the original proposal, although it was reduced from 5 stories to 4. The Mellman/ Lettuce Entertain You concept backed out presumably because they thought the location wasn't lucrative enough which seems like BS. TJ's was the 'F%c$ you' to the neighborhood. Who wouldn't want residential/retail in this location vs. a single use retail project w rooftop parking producing a daily cluster F%c$ traffic pattern. Hopefully the design is refined further and improved.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...-joes-exit.php

Last edited by george; Jul 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:52 AM

When I picture in my mind what I'd like to see happen with the new Lucas museum and pedestrian connection to Northerly Island, I find myself picturing something like this from Adelaide, Australia (not saying copy this, but I love the look of the footbridge and the new buildings behind, including the new glass building which I guess is a medical research center):

(these two images are from skymantle in the OZScrapers subforum on SSC)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:37 AM

There are a couple of things going on at Dirk Denison's website I don't think I'd seen before: Culver House and the IIT dorms. Or maybe I did and forgot. Also, some baller houses. Too lazy to post pictures.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:44 AM
TL;DR

Culver House is dead AFAIK.

The IIT dorms have been up there for a year at least; I'm sure IIT would love to build them but maybe the alumni aren't donating or something.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Berkelhamer is the design architect, but he came from Booth Hansen.

Antunovich is the architect-of-record-of-choice for Berkelhamer, probably because they work cheap.
Its the same set up has 805 N LaSalle; Antunovich is the Arch of Record, but the design is from Berkelhamer.

I'm delighted to see the mixed use building is back. Wish it could have gone back to 5 stories, but I'll happly take the already approved version of it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:52 PM

Looks like the renders are out for that proposed Polish Triangle building at 1237-53 N Milwaukee.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...s-rendered.php

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:05 PM
dream fast

^Nice how it extends down to the corner of BOA. That bank facade was just rebuilt in the last 10 years or so.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
^Nice how it extends down to the corner of BOA. That bank facade was just rebuilt in the last 10 years or so.
The renders look nice enough, but it seems like an odd and backwards thing to do in terms of design philosophy.
Do we really want to make our street wall look more monolithic and less fine grained? When some buildings try to make one structure look like many, why try to make two structures built decades apart look like one (especially when the existing structure has a new-ish facade already)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development