HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:45 AM

We have failed to spend the previous money available to us, so we will get none of it.

I will have to agree with Randall Denley (amazingly enough) that if we can get away with a tax freeze, obviously we don't need federal and provincial money. He gave the great example that while Mike Harris was giving all sorts of tax cuts, the federal government saw no need to send money to Ontario. Obviously Ontario was flush with cash at the time and there was no way that the feds would fund tax cuts for the provincial government. Funny, how what appears so good on the surface has some very negative implications. No wonder, the Harris years was a time when transit was so badly neglected.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 8:31 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 8:40 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 9:46 PM

sweet!
...as expected the tunnel estimate was low-balled at $400M ...the "independent" (McCormickRankin) consultant suggests it would be closer $600M

...also the Urbandale proposal missed several details that would make any implied cost-savings between it and the original NSLRT proposal negligible.

The staff report seems to recommend that the Bayview-Bowesville (south of Leitrim) double-track O-Train be built in the near-term and if started ASAP could be running by 2013. They do not recommend the extension of the existing O-Train infrastructure to Leitrim.

looks like we'll have to wait quite awhile for a tunnel though....the EA alone will take 2 years and will be ready in March 2010....we'll be able to ride the subway by 2012 if we're lucky.

Last edited by the capital urbanite; Nov 14, 2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 9:48 PM

Here are the comments from one of the councillor's aid (Clive Doucet) that I got as a response for the Ottawa Transit group.

Quote:
I will try to give a perspective on where things stand with respect to light rail in Ottawa.

There is a proposal coming to Transit Committee next week known as the “Urbandale Proposal”. Depending on how this light rail proposal is received Ottawa may commit to short term investments in electric rail or may commit to spend what few resources from the original LRT project remain on buses and roads. There are no other LRT options on the table in the short term and if it not acted upon there won’t be resources to do anything but talk and study alternatives for at least 3 to 4 years. A further complication in Ottawa’s situation is that we are spending on roads at an unprecedented rate and are depleting our financial reserves in the process. Following the current trend we will find ourselves significantly impoverished in the next few years such that finding the funds to secure matching provincial and federal funds for any LRT may not be possible.

In this context, yet another technical option for a form of electric mass transit is interesting but sadly does not address the immediate issues: we spent too much on roads, we are about to commit several years of transit funding to buses leaving nothing for any LRT. If we commit resources for the “Urbandale Proposal” we may have the option to modify subsequent stages of LRT implementation as they will all have to undergo Environmental Assessment studies and public consultations. That is our only hope at the moment.

At the height of the LRT debate last year, I counted 8 transit advocacy groups arguing about why their particular transit option is better that another. The road lobby has cashed in big on the infighting amongst transit groups. See the summary of Ottawa’s asphalt fetish below…

I’ve been giving the same message now to any transit advocacy groups who contact Clive: we have failed to unify ourselves and failed to recognize that although competing electric transit options may have differing interest, the pro-transit community’s silence on Ottawa investment in roads for cars is by far the bigger threat and the one which is killing us.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 9:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The single-track Dow’s Lake Tunnel could become a bottleneck in a network of twin tracks everywhere else.
That's an interesting point. While it may not be a problem presently, it could end up being as much a problem in the future as the failure to build a tunnel in the CBD was for the Transitway.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
That's an interesting point. While it may not be a problem presently, it could end up being as much a problem in the future as the failure to build a tunnel in the CBD was for the Transitway.
I'm more worried about the size of the trains, and the share use of the transitway. If it's the case, there's no need for LRT, as the use of LRT is exactly the same as BRT.

I have the feeling that this is the last chance for LRT in Ottawa... so basically a take it or leave it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:05 PM
National Capital Region

from the report...

Quote:
Alternative to Urbandale’s Phase 1A Project:

If Council wishes to consider an LRT project in the North-South corridor while awaiting the completion of the transit tunnel through the downtown, there are alternatives to the Urbandale Phase 1A project (Bayview to River Road) with its single track under Dow’s Lake, five-minute headways, and 18 trains (no spares).

One such alternative would be for the LRT to begin at Bayview Station and continue with double tracks through to Bowesville Station, including a twin tunnel under Dow’s Lake. This would take the LRT line to the maintenance facility (reduced size) and also terminate at a transit terminal and park-and-ride lot at Bowesville Station, where buses can connect with nearby Riverside South and cross the future Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge to serve Barrhaven. The number of stations (10) remains the same as for the North-South LRT project for this entire section. Five-minute headway is planned. Approximately 16 trains are required, including three spares. While the cost for this project would be less than the original North-South LRT project (due to the reduced project scope), it would not be in the best interest of the City to release a budget number at this time in case Council wishes to negotiate a contract price with a Contractor.

No EA Addendum would be necessary for this alternative project (Bayview to Bowesville); however, follow-up is required with the Ministry of the Environment regarding the submitted EA Addendum for the maintenance facility. Simulation studies would need to be undertaken to confirm planned service operations, number of vehicles required, etc. A revised ridership analysis and business case would have to be prepared for the review and approval of the Federal and Provincial funding agencies. Upon confirmation of funding and authority to proceed, property negotiations with landowners along the corridor and development partnership discussions at Carleton University, Gladstone, and Walkley would have to be restarted. Other tasks include the resolution of regulatory and operating authority, the re-mobilization of a City LRT project management team, contract negotiations, and Contractor mobilization.

Assuming that no new procurement process is required, this project could be completed by year 2013.

It had been suggested that the diesel O-Train should be extended to Bowesville rather than convert the corridor to electric LRT. While this alternative would defer a fair amount of the capital costs, one needs to consider the longer-term planning issues including urban design.

It would be possible to extend the O-Train to Leitrim, operating at its existing 15-minute headway with the addition of one train as a short-term measure. This would provide capacity to accommodate the ridership generated by a park-and-ride lot at Leitrim. The capital costs for this are estimated to be approximately $45M. However, to add significant capacity to the O-Train service and to make it attractive for transferring passengers would require improving the headway to 10 or 7.5 minutes. This would require significant investment to purchase additional diesel trains, expand the existing maintenance facility, add to and upgrade the signalling system, and to add passing tracks. Investment on this scale should only be made as part of a long-term plan. The O-Train, with its large vehicles, requirements for grade separation and its high platforms would be unsuitable technology to operate eventually through the town centre in Riverside South and Barrhaven, and would also restrict options in the LeBreton development.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:09 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I'm more worried about the size of the trains, and the share use of the transitway. If it's the case, there's no need for LRT, as the use of LRT is exactly the same as BRT.

I have the feeling that this is the last chance for LRT in Ottawa... so basically a take it or leave it.
I have the same feeling. I think we should grab this chance and run with it. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing and it's certainly better than letting the problem fester for another 20 years.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I have the same feeling. I think we should grab this chance and run with it. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing and it's certainly better than letting the problem fester for another 20 years.
I hadn't read the city comments, I just did. They came to the same conclusion and suggest double tracking, and probably no sharing with BRT, plus more stations.

I would agree with this new plan.

Again, we're back to the N-S plan with a DT tunnel, what should have been in the first place... it's really discouraging. If they want to use diesel trains for the less dense areas, they would have to find a new contractor.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:20 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Sharing w/ buses just defeats the purpose.

Many people will hate me for saying this, but transfer stations are needed. Buses can be redirected fairly easily. If you don't believe me, just read the documents in the Growing Up Ottawa thread. Proper LRT needs to come to Ottawa so that it can secure decent funding. Otherwise, there will never be funding and there will never be a plan.

It's time to bring LRT to Ottawa and no one can expect a plan to be perfect and serve everyone and be cheap all at the same time.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:23 PM

The choice is clear:

1)build LRT along the N-S corridor (Bayview to Bowesville)
2) don't build it. (note the large period here)

VOTE NOW!

let's see how many votes it will take this time......will the feds and province want to give their $400M for such an "interim" project?

cost estimate is $700M...oh but wait...it would mean a tax increase!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:23 PM
Closed account

Hopefully an increased sense of urgency will push it through. But don't underestimate the ability of politicians to completely fuck things up.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Sharing w/ buses just defeats the purpose.

Many people will hate me for saying this, but transfer stations are needed. Buses can be redirected fairly easily. If you don't believe me, just read the documents in the Growing Up Ottawa thread. Proper LRT needs to come to Ottawa so that it can secure decent funding. Otherwise, there will never be funding and there will never be a plan.

It's time to bring LRT to Ottawa and no one can expect a plan to be perfect and serve everyone and be cheap all at the same time.
I still don't understand why they want to use low floor trains, they are far more slower, and if the whole route is in a dedicated row, why?!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I still don't understand why they want to use low floor trains, they are far more slower, and if the whole route is in a dedicated row, why?!
speed isn't a real issue here...the siemens S70 can run quite nicely at 80-100kph...plenty fast enough.

also changing the type of train at this point would mean an amendment to the existing EA (for example, vibration levels would be different) ...something that takes time...

unless there are significant savings in switching vehicle type I think the S70 will be the next O-Train.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 11:25 PM
Closed account

So, if I get this right, they could break ground on Phase 1A as soon as, say, next summer or the summer after if they approve this? I think I favour the variation proposed by staff that wouldn't build a bottleneck into the system, but that would still be covered by the existing EA. And the downtown EA is already underway for Phase 1B. If that is so, that would be pretty impressive.

So what exactly are the hurdles? I guess it has to get through committee first, and then off to council for approval?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 11:32 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
So what exactly are the hurdles? I guess it has to get through committee first, and then off to council for approval?
from the agenda: "Note: 1. Due to the urgency of Item 1 Council will be requested to consider this item at its meeting of 28 November 2007 in Joint Transportation Committee and Transit Committee Report 4." (item 1 being 'REVIEW OF URBANDALE CORPORATION’S LRT NETWORK PROPOSAL AND NEAR-TERM TRANSIT INVESTMENT OPTIONS')

there is also a special Transit Committee meeting on November 26th, maybe there will be something then too

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
from the agenda: "Note: 1. Due to the urgency of Item 1 Council will be requested to consider this item at its meeting of 28 November 2007 in Joint Transportation Committee and Transit Committee Report 4." (item 1 being 'REVIEW OF URBANDALE CORPORATION’S LRT NETWORK PROPOSAL AND NEAR-TERM TRANSIT INVESTMENT OPTIONS')

there is also a special Transit Committee meeting on November 26th, maybe there will be something then too
I suppose they want some sort of deal with siemens, soon, which could totally be justifiable.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:16 AM

I support this new plan for the reason that it's basically the same as the old plan. The original corridors are exactly the same, just with a different order regarding when each spur gets built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
R2-D2's army of death

The whole low-floor train thing is because we will be using the Siemens S70 as a means of possibly escaping the lawsuit.

P.S. Anyone else notice how Siemens went silent after Urbandale came forward with their own proposal for City Council? I suspect they will be watching this closely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation