HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:37 AM

Moving to Hamilton?

This is a thread for questions and advice about moving to Hamilton.

You'll hear a lot of bad things about Hamilton, but those who know Hamilton's secrets enjoy a great quality of life. The city has a lot to offer: diverse neighbourhoods, great parks and natural beauty, the lake, the bay, the escarpment, waterfalls, arts and culture, museums, easy access to Toronto and Niagara, several nice shopping districts, character and history.

So if you're thinking about moving to the Hamilton area, ask your questions here.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 12:55 PM
Closed account

Great thread idea, Flar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
People have said some horrible things about the place, but I'm actually looking forward to my move.
A lot of people have a hate-on for Hamilton. You just have to ignore them. Most have never even been to the city. Some people have even hijacked some of Flar's photo-threads claiming that his photographs are staged and 'fake'. Since you've visited, I'm sure you know this is completely false.

Where are you moving from? (If you don't mind me asking)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:13 PM

Agreed. People who rarely visit Hamilton have very strong opinions about the city. And oddly enough, people who have never been to Hamilton have even stronger opinions, almost always negative. It's a little bizare.

Quick poll, how many times have you told someone that you're from Hamilton and they respond. "Hamilton? EEEWWWWWW!" Then you ask, "Oh, so you've been to Hamilton often?" and they say "No, but I've driven by it on the QEW! It's a dump!"

I think it's important that potential new citizens of Hamilton hear an opinion from a person who moved here just 5 years ago. You will not regret your descision to move here, I sure don't. Worried about investing in a house? Don't be, you'll make money, I sure did.

Lastly, don't be afraid of the lower City! Some people will tell you, don't buy a house anywhere but the Mountain or West Hamilton. But there are thousands of large 100 yr old houses central and east Hamilton just needing some repairs and fresh paint. Take a look.

Good house hunting!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:34 PM
Closed account

great advice Brian. In fact, I'd go one better than that. BE AFRAID of the mountain and suburban areas. Almost everyone I know who lives up there has story after story of life just like the movie 'the burbs'. haha.
people are anal.
The lower city you'll find plenty of charm, great homes, nice parks and depending on where you end up, walking distance from stores, restaurants, cafes etc.....

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:15 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Great idea for a thread Flar, I should have done this originally.

Let me introduce myself and explain why I'm moving to Hamilton.

I'm British, currently living in London (the original one ). I'm about to turn 33, male, gay (if that makes any difference, shouldn't in this day and age, but hey might as well get that out there ) and single - though that does make the move easier!

I have a sibling who moved with their spouse and child from Vancouver to Hamilton after raving for the past year about the potential that the city had - blind move, had never been there, just had this gut instinct. My parents were a bit uncertain about it all, but thanks to Flar's phototours showing the good sides of Hamilton, they actually wanted to visit and look around. So well done there Flar!

I'm in the process of selling a rental flat here in London and when sold the equity should easily pay off a bridging loan that I set up to pay for the house that I bought for them in April (aren't I a good brother?!). In January of next year I will be selling up my own flat and armed with the equity, approximately $150k in today's money, I'll be moving to Hamilton in late January/February all being well.

Why am I moving? And why Hamilton?

I've always wanted to live abroad and have always thought I'd like to live in North America, love the accents, tragic I know, but I do (I was so disappointed when no one in Vancouver said "eh" ). Since I now have family in Canada, I've found the concept of living there very tempting, as have my parents. I'm a bit fed up of the London way of life. OK, it's cosmopolitan and there's a lot to do, but it's also incredibly expensive and very draining to keep up with. All in all I really fancy a bit of a break from it all and so I thought I'd move to Canada, perhaps even do some studying, recharge etc. If I get bored, I can always try somewhere else!

I've been to Hamilton once, in April and was really quite impressed with the city and what $150k can buy you. Mortgage free or low mortgage life really appeals to me after spending £745 per month - that's nearly $1,500 - on my mortgage in London.

I've heard all the comments about how awful a place it is. A friend of mine has a flatmate who is Canadian and says he "escaped from Hamilton and couldn't be paid to go back". However, after visiting (admittedly only for a week) and wandering around I couldn't see what was so bad about the place at all. My second night there I walked from Balsam, all the way down Main, towards my hotel near Westdale. A bit of a killer walk at between 9 and 10pm, but I didn't feel threatened or intimidated, though perhaps ignorance is bliss lol. I really like the fact that is has the big city vibe in a small space, compared to London, where you can't get anywhere without jumping on a bus or using the underground, in Hamilton I could easily see myself walking a lot more and only using public transport if I really needed to or when I was feeling lazy, it was cold or wet.

The week I was there was spent wandering around, spotting buildings from Flar's phototours, drinking way too much Tim Horton's hot chocolate and trying to work out where I'd like to be if I lived there. I didn't get to see all I wanted to, as I did have to spend some time with family and do the odd touristy thing (you can't not see Niagara Falls!). There are some neighbourhoods I really want to check out in greater detail, Locke, Hess, Ottawa, etc. My parents have already decided that when they retire they want to sell up and move to Westdale, why wouldn't they, it's beautiful there around that quaint little town centre.

All in all Hamilton reminds me of Sheffield in the UK, before they regenerated it, and since that was a "Steel Town", the comparison is quite apt. Sheffield is now the greenest city in the UK and where a lot of the old Steel Mills were are parks and leisure facilities, it has a tram system (SuperTram) similar to the one that is being proposed for Hamilton. If that goes ahead I can see that having a huge impact on the city in similar ways to the trams that are being built in cities across the UK. Ultimately, Hamilton feels like somewhere that can only improve and I might as well buy somewhere while I can afford it

I'm hopeful that when I get there I can get involved in the community (I don't want to move to the place and stay isolated and London can feel very isolating even with all those people around you), maybe even help to improve it, make new friends and generally live a much better and affordable life than the one I'm currently living now.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by omro; Jul 2, 2008 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:49 PM
Closed account

Oh man. This is so cool. You are like totally the poster boy for Richard Florida's whole Creative Class thingy. You should write an oped for the Spec. A few years back when we had an influx of refugees from Kosovo, they had an ongoing Kosovo Diary written by a doctor from Kosovo about his familiy's experience of coming to Hamilton and making a new life, etc. You could totally write a Kreative Klass Diary. Blow all the squelchers away. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:22 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Alas I'm not there yet! Though I wish I were. January feels so far away, but I'm not going to wish away the rest of the year.

I'd love to write for the Spec, though I've no journalistic experience. lol. I'm definitely tempted to Blog about my move, because it'll be a big event for me.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:27 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
I'm definitely tempted to Blog about my move, because it'll be a big event for me.
If you're looking for a venue, it sounds like a great fit for Raise the Hammer, a local web magazine dedicated to urban issues. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:31 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
If you're looking for a venue, it sounds like a great fit for Raise the Hammer, a local web magazine dedicated to urban issues. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.
I'd love to. Thanks! I've been reading your site for month now, it's a brilliant source of local news and information! I've enjoyed reading it far more than The Spec online.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

One issue as well about Hamilton. Even though it is growing, the crime rate isn't all that bad for the size of the city. On average there are about 10 murders a year in Hamilton. Look at places in US at some cities where they can have as many as 1000 a year.

Yes there are drug problems, but that is everywhere.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I'd love to. Thanks! I've been reading your site for month now, it's a brilliant source of local news and information! I've enjoyed reading it far more than The Spec online.
we all do.
Lol.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

I find that Eastern lower Hamilton tend to me more socially conservative (probably has a lot to do with the hard nose and tough past) then Western lower Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:58 PM
Closed account

January is a singularly crappy time of year (actually I love it, but I'm weird that way). Hope the weather won't temper your first experience of Hamilton too much. Give the Hammer at least till May before you start regretting your decision.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:00 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
One issue as well about Hamilton. Even though it is growing, the crime rate isn't all that bad for the size of the city. On average there are about 10 murders a year in Hamilton. Look at places in US at some cities where they can have as many as 1000 a year.

Yes there are drug problems, but that is everywhere.
Well... I'm moving to Hamilton from East London. I live 20mins walk from "murder mile" where there is a lot of black on black gang related gun crime. I've been burgled twice and mugged a knife-point. As long as 1 of those 10 murders a year isn't me or a member of my family, then I'll cope. Hopefully that stat will go down.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:03 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I find that Eastern lower Hamilton tend to me more socially conservative (probably has a lot to do with the hard nose and tough past) then Western lower Hamilton.
West Hamilton is more central and seems to have a better vibe. I like the idea of being able to walk from my home to a cool coffee bar on a weekend to sit down and watch the world go by for a while.

That said more East would allow me to buy more for my buck.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:04 PM
Closed account

Sorry Ryan for suggesting the Spec before RTH . Of all people, I should have known better. Still, you'd reach more squelchers with the Spec, not that they'd print it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:06 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
January is a singularly crappy time of year (actually I love it, but I'm weird that way). Hope the weather won't temper your first experience of Hamilton too much. Give the Hammer at least till May before you start regretting your decision.
I've not seen decent snow in a fairly long time, so that'll be a boon.

I went to Hamilton in April this year and it was fine, though I'd heard of the unseasonable snow storms a few weeks before I visited.

I have to sell my flat first, I can't break out of my mortgage until December, so assuming it sells reasonably quickly, January will be my move date. A slower sale will push my arrival back.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:14 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Sorry Ryan for suggesting the Spec before RTH . Of all people, I should have known better. Still, you'd reach more squelchers with the Spec, not that they'd print it.
Nothing wrong with suggesting the Spec. I quite liked the paper, in print form, I read it daily while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

I like RTH because the site has a clean uncluttered look and the blogs are easy to get at and I enjoy reading the comments, even the more inflamatory ones Does RTH come out in print form?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:27 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
No harm in trying the Spec. I've nothing against the paper, I read it while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

I like RTH because the site has a clean uncluttered look and the blogs are easy to get at and I enjoy reading the comments, even the more inflamatory ones Does RTH come out in print form?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

There are good and bad everywhere Steeltown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion