HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:59 AM
Concerned Citizen

I find this all kind of funny. I have known Chris for over 30 years, we went to high school together, and this is typical of him. If he doesn't get his own way he takes his toys and goes home.

He really is a decent guy though, just not very subtle. He means well and he does give of his time and money. But, it is true about him being a shameless self promoter. He has always been that way.

As for his waterfalls promotion, sure it may be a little hoky or lame, but if it helps the image of this city I am all for it. His facebook waterfalls group has almost 12,000 members from all over the country.

His assertation that he has no political ambitions, I am not so sure about. I remember him telling me 20 years ago that he was going to run for mayor. I almost fell off my chair laughing. I like the guy personally, but God help us if he should ever become mayor. He just doesn't have what it takes to play well with others, especially those critical of him. We got an example of that today when he packed up and went home so to speak.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Closed account

The silencing of Joanna Chapman has begun:

http://thespec.com/Opinions/Letterto...article/574672

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 8:57 PM
Needs more coffee...

I like the "City of Waterfalls" idea. Sure, it's not something we'll ever rebrand Hamilton as, but if there's tourist dollars to be made and image-boosting power, good stuff.

I didn't want to even bother saying this, but if this was - at all - an attempt conscious or otherwise to cast doubt on those acting as checks and balances, or trying to make future people think twice before criticizing, or at all influenced by his connections, then, well, that's not so great.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:02 AM

I don't know much about the guy or his "promotion" of the waterfalls idea, but for someone who wants to sell an environmental aspect of Hamilton to tourists, it sure wasn't smart to use SUV's as advertising?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:37 PM

I once saw Chris Ecklund walk across Cootes Paradise.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:12 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
I don't know much about the guy or his "promotion" of the waterfalls idea, but for someone who wants to sell an environmental aspect of Hamilton to tourists, it sure wasn't smart to use SUV's as advertising?
lol

Re: making Hamilton a waterfalls brand.
Maybe it's just me but about 100 of the 105 aren't that impressive.... just me... but a trickle of water ... although nice... but if you're promising 'waterfalls', then you better deliver it. Over promise under deliver will kill a brand. Over expectations is what the "Waterfalls Capital" brand is my fear it's conjuring up too much expectation in people's minds. Like stuffing your pants..... nevermind.... im in advertising couldn't help that.

Albion, Felkers, the one off Scenic, and the one in Dundas (names ?) are impressive. I'm not a lover of waterfalls, I could look at them for about a minute, but them im bored (unlike i smoke some weed).... again just me. And most are not that accessible... and spread out. To visit those four would be about two hours of driving.

I like city stuff and urban stuff. Give me a good walkable urban neighbourhood with lots of shit to do and I'll do that all day. im not going to stare at a waterfall all day. Nor would it really motivate the average person to A. move here, B. Set up business here, or C. visit here. If you want a waterfalls, go 40 minutes further to Niagara. It's a little ridiculous to brand Hamilton as a waterfalls city, so close to the World's true Waterfall Capital.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:14 PM

Lately I've been calling Hamilton "H-Town" to my friends. Don't know why, i like the sound of it.

And for my friends (former Hamiltonians) who moved to Burlington. I call Burlington "The Bronx" they don't like that. but I do

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Lately I've been calling Hamilton "H-Town" to my friends. Don't know why, i like the sound of it.
I use this too. Fun times.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:10 AM

Quote:

And for my friends (former Hamiltonians) who moved to Burlington. I call Burlington "The Bronx" they don't like that. but I do
Hahaha thats jokes....

I used to called it H-Town as well but I now prefer to call it The Hammer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:42 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:26 AM
Hammer'd

Pretty but I still don't like Chris Ecklund.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 11:32 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

meh

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Everyone that I know thinks this is bananas!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 2:48 PM
Closed account

Whatever turns his crank. No harm done as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 2:51 PM

What do they think is bananas? The lighting of the falls or promoting the falls?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

The lighting.

Most Hamiltonians don't know who Chris Ecklund is and definitely those from outside of Hamilton don't know who he is. They just know the lighting of the waterfalls is "nice", "awesome", "amazing", "bananas", etc.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:22 PM
Closed account

You know what? I think I actually like this.

One of the things that has always bugged me about the whole waterfalls campaign is the way it supposedly 'boosts' Hamilton by turning it's back on the city. "Pay no attention to the gritty post-industrial city below the escarpment! Look, over there, waterfalls!" It's a cheap, easy way for people who essentially have a hate-on for all things urban, to pretend that they're doing something for their city.

Tarting up the waterfalls with something blatantly man-made like coloured lights, makes it harder to pat yourself on the back for appreciating nature, and makes it impossible to forget that these waterfalls are very close to (shudder) human civilization. In his own tacky way, Ecklund has brought the city to the falls. If it alienates a few of his city-hating followers, then it's a net positive.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:37 PM

it's kinda eery. I'd rather see lights on Stelco Tower.

Personally I'm bored after 3 minutes of looking at water flowing over a cliff.

I say everything highwater did ^

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Everyone that I know thinks this is bananas!
Everyone I know in the marketing/pr/advertising business thinks the branding is ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Most Hamiltonians don't know who Chris Ecklund is and definitely those from outside of Hamilton don't know who he is.
That''ll be me on both counts, then
But after reading the start of this thread (had to bail on the cringeworthy website ... meh) seems like "booster" ~ egotist with money trying to do what they seem to think is the right thing but not bothered whatsoever about aligning with much else...

Quote:
They just know the lighting of the waterfalls is "nice", "awesome", "amazing", "bananas", etc.
First I've head of it was on here. And from those pics, it's not bad as such... but as water-based visual art, pretty basic (and, IMO, fairly lame - but that's an aesthetic call, highly subjective, &c - seen some awesome viz stuff projected on to running water in my time, though. and this ain't it!)

Quote:
Everyone I know in the marketing/pr/advertising business thinks the branding is ridiculous.
Paid my dues in that sector, and have to agree with this somewhat...

Quote:
It's a little ridiculous to brand Hamilton as a waterfalls city, so close to the World's true Waterfall Capital.
Indeed - not to mention they do the lighting thing much more impressively (with greater reach)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
This is what you call PR FAIL

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for bigging up anything we've got around here that others (including me) should know about. But throwing a few pretty lights and gels on to some waterfalls that people don't perhaps know about (in terms of where they are, how to get there, etc) might be putting the cart before the horse. But that's never stopped money being thrown at Big Ideas anywhere, though... at least it's not public money

Maybe some joined-up thinking and action could be good? But that's where I defer to those who have an inside track on the backstory to this..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion