HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I'm trying to decide which part of the world would get the most pissed at me (governmentally) if I made my company Facebook page in Klingon. Obviously I'd be selling Star Trek memorabilia to die hard fans only.

Kinda like the Jedi trolling in Australia, but more fun. Religion just isn't enough of a "thing" in Canada that anyone would care.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I used to wonder whether the Glendon campus of York University couldn't be the core of a French language university in Ontario, but I suppose the campus is too established (and too small) to lend itself to this.

I believe that University of Ottawa has been looking at the possibility of establishing a French language satellite campus in Southwestern Ontario (Windsor?), although I've never seen any concrete details.
Glendon College received a grant from the ministry to expand. BMO also contributed cash to the University.

http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/centreof...lish/index.php

U Ottawa already offers courses of the faculty of Education

http://education.uottawa.ca/en/about...-and-locations

The Ministry of Colleges and University has indicated that their is no money after that because the Ontario government is in deficit reduction mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I read an article once that suggested the possibility of a Francophone university in Toronto. Although it's not where the Francophone population is concentrated presently, the hope was that by expanding the GTA's francophone institutions you can have new immigrants from Francophone Africa, Haiti, etc. assimilated to the Franco-Ontarian community instead of the anglophone majority.
It was approached to the three leaders, while they were all sympathetic with the concept, none could commit the money. Plus the priority is establishing a new University in Milton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another interesting part of the story is that Lévesque and a few others in the PQ were so pissed off at the reaction of the ROC provinces, that the possibility of making the level of services provided to the anglo minority in Quebec ''equal'' to that provided to ROC francophones (effectively reducing English services significantly), until the ROC provinces relented and smartened up. But after some discussion the PQ caucus decided against it, because as someone in there said to the group: ''We can't treat our anglos like the ROC treats its francos. That would just be too mean!''
What services are better in Quebec when compared to Ontario?

Quote:
I am sure the Franco-Ontarian community would welcome any expansion of educational offerings in French, but logically a truly francophone university in Ontario should be in Ottawa. Or perhaps in Sudbury, since there is a latent sentiment in some Franco-Ontarian circles that institutions placed in Ottawa get flooded with Quebecers and Quebec-ified because of the proximity to the border.

For example, the first and biggest Franco-Ontarian community college, La Cité collégiale in Ottawa, has a huge percentage of Quebec students. In some programs Quebec students and even teachers are in the majority. Of course, the college itself encourages this, and advertises on Gatineau buses and in many other places on the Quebec side of the river. It is arguably more visible in Gatineau than in Ottawa.
La Cite and U Ottawa offers much more program then what is available in Gatineau. The university on the Quebec side has no law, medicine and business school. For most, it's go to Ottawa or Montreal, after high school in Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 1:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa superman View Post

I don't think it's a stretch to claim that in the late 70s and early 80s services in English in Quebec were eons ahead of services in French in Ontario.

Since then things have improved considerably in Ontario but Quebec still has way more offerings in English in terms of health care and post-secondary education, just to name those two. Plus public organizations (often required to provide bilingual services) tend to walk the walk more in Quebec than they do in Ontario.

Probably the only things Ontario does better than Quebec when it comes to minority language services are road signs (EAST/EST and EXIT/SORTIE) and letterhead (Ministry of Health/Ministère de la Santé).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
La Cite and U Ottawa offers much more program then what is available in Gatineau. The university on the Quebec side has no law, medicine and business school. For most, it's go to Ottawa or Montreal, after high school in Quebec.
It's a bit of a double-edged sword for Gatineau.

On the one hand it's great to have all of this stuff on your doorstep.

But on the other the growing imbalance in tuition fees between Quebec and Ontario means that increasing numbers of Gatineau students are going to Montreal, Quebec City or even Sherbrooke for their studies because in some cases (especially if they have relatives they can stay with) it's cheaper than staying at mom and dad's in Gatineau and go to the U of Ottawa.

For example, the civil law school at the U of Ottawa is a throwback to the old days when the Quebec side of the river was much less developed and more backward. It is located in Ottawa in Ontario but it only trains lawyers in the civil code of law which is only used in Quebec in Canada. It is basically Gatineau's law school but it happens to be located in Ottawa.

Since it is under the Ontario university régime Ontario fees apply. And so Gatineau law students who go to the U of Ottawa pay around 9000 dollars a year. In Montreal or Quebec City they would pay about 2500 dollars (which is what they would pay in Gatineau as well if Gatineau's university, l'UQO, had a law school).

So that aspect of it kind of sucks for us.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Probably the only things Ontario does better than Quebec when it comes to minority language services are road signs (EAST/EST and EXIT/SORTIE) and letterhead (Ministry of Health/Ministère de la Santé).
AKA the things that make people go 'wow this place is so bilingual' but doesn't change much. Ontario is better at bilingual optics than it is at bilingual services.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
And public television, I believe. There is no English-language equivalent to TFO in Quebec as far as I know.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
And public television, I believe. There is no English-language equivalent to TFO in Quebec as far as I know.
Correct.

TFO was lobbied for by the community and obtained based on the rationale that there was a dearth of television options in French (regardless of origin) in Ontario at the time.

I suppose one does not exist in English in Quebec given the North American multi-channel universe that they have access to in their language.

That said, with the decline in local production (except for news) by both CBC and CTV (CFCF), it might be that Franco-Ontarians are better served at the moment. There isn't much on TV other than news produced in Quebec in English these days.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
That said, with the decline in local production (except for news) by both CBC and CTV (CFCF), it might be that Franco-Ontarians are better served at the moment. There isn't much on TV other than news produced in Quebec in English these days.
At least Quebec Anglos aren't alone... much of the country now has little in the way of local English programming other than news.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Glendon College received a grant from the ministry to expand. BMO also contributed cash to the University.

http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/centreof...lish/index.php

U Ottawa already offers courses of the faculty of Education

http://education.uottawa.ca/en/about...-and-locations

The Ministry of Colleges and University has indicated that their is no money after that because the Ontario government is in deficit reduction mode.

It was approached to the three leaders, while they were all sympathetic with the concept, none could commit the money. Plus the priority is establishing a new University in Milton.

Yes but there are problems sometimes faced by going to school in Ontario and living at home while in school in Gatineau which is due to Medicine being provincial jurisdiction and differences in "Modern Guilds" College of Physicians by province.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:51 AM
R2-D2's army of death

This has suddenly become relevant...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/r...ependent-media
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada