HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:22 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Natitude! Playoff baseball in Washington

It's been 79 years since a playoff baseball game was played in Washington, DC. The last one was in 1933, before World War II, before many of your grandparents were born. FDR was mere months into his very first term as President. Since then man has walked on the moon, used nuclear weapons, and invented the designated hitter.

But now the Nats are back.

I scored last minute tickets to game 4 of the NLDS Thursday. The Nats beat the Cardinals on a walk-off 9th inner home run by Jayson Werth, to even the series at 2 games each and send it to a decisive 5th game. Here are some pictures.

My view. Click for a bigger version.

Scoreboard sign.

Skyline view, such as it is. The US Capitol dome is directly behind the prominent glassy office building. It's visible from the left field stands, but not from my vantage.

Most fans arrive to games by Metro. There is a 1 block walk from the station to the stadium. One property along that block has been turned into a temporary market, using shipping containers as stalls. Soon it will be developed into a real building, but in the mean time this is a lot better than an empty lot.

Let's get started.

Zoomed in on the Capitol dome, peaking just barely above the roof of that office building.

Since the Expos moved to Washington, each game has featured a presidents race. Teddy Roosevelt has never been allowed to win a race in all those seasons... until the last game of this year, when they finally let him win.

Here is right-fielder Jayson Werth looking ready to play.

Now here is right-fielder Jayson Werth looking confused.

Never before seen in Washington, until this week.

With the score tied 1-1 late in the game, the fans got excited.

Then Jayson Werth hit his walk-off homer.

That's all folks! Suck it, Saint Louis!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos