HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 1:31 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Shit, I want that cow for my living room.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 8:36 PM
Me?!?

Man, LPT is really chewing away at the countryside!

LOWER PAXTON TWP.

Officials OK zoning change, pave way for development

Wednesday, July 19, 2006
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

At least 443 homes can be built on the former Stray Winds Farm after Lower Paxton Twp. supervisors last night unanimously approved a developer's request for a zoning change.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...770.xml&coll=1

HARRISBURG

Court site chosen for security, U.S. says

REPORTED YESTERDAY AT 3:23 P.M. ON PENNLIVE.COM
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A day after naming a subsidized housing complex at Sixth and Verbeke streets in Harrisburg as the preferred site for a federal courthouse, a U.S. government agency yesterday released its final report evaluating three sites it considered.

A General Services Administration committee selected the 108-unit Cumberland Court apartments as a replacement site for the courthouse at Walnut and Locust streets, mainly to meet security requirements.

The government also would raze the nearby Quaker Meeting House to make way for the $100 million project.

GSA spokeswoman Gina Gilliam said the Cumberland Court site was preferred because of its affordability, its location near downtown and its amenities and character. Razing the apartments would have far less historic impact than other alternatives and relocating residents to similar housing should not pose a problem, she said.

The five-member selection committee's decision is expected to become final pending study and approval by GSA's regional administrator, perhaps by next month.

Cumberland Court's Denver-based owner, AIMCO Apartment Investment & Management Co., said it plans to hold informational meetings for tenants in the coming weeks, alerting them to their rights and options.

Lance Graber, an executive vice president at AIMCO, said the company had been looking into renovating the apartments under a tax-credit plan with the state.

GSA is promising relocation assistance to residents, including government housing vouchers. Tenants would have about two years to move.

In selecting Cumberland Court, the GSA bypassed two sites that were closely evaluated: The Jackson-Lick public housing towers at Sixth and Basin streets and a close-knit neighborhood of historic homes, businesses and restaurants in the shadow of the state Capitol at Third and Forster streets.

Jackson-Lick was deemed too costly because of U.S. Housing and Urban Development requirements that replacement housing be built. That would have pushed the site preparation costs well above the $20 million GSA allotted.

The Capital Area neighborhood included many buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, some popular establishments would have been forced to close or move.

The GSA needed at least 21/2 acres for a building of eight to 14 stories, along with enough land to allow 50- to 100-foot security setbacks.

Construction on the 262,970-square-foot courthouse is scheduled to begin in 2009 and end in 2012.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 8:40 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey
This is a random question... but what has become of the cow statues from CowParade? Are they still gracing Harrisburg's public spaces... or have they been auctioned off? What is their fate?

Yeah that is one of my favorites, FF!

Evergrey, they have all been auctioned off. Some of those purchased by businesses still display them publically, though. For example, Sovereign Bank bought one that is completely covered with pennies and it is displayed outside of their office on 2nd St. downtown. The drunk kids there for the nightlife really abuse that one, though, and I have seen that cow involved in quite a bit LOL

HARRISBURG

Authority delays vote on island museum

Financial feasibility, flooding raise concerns on Sports Hall of Fame

Wednesday, July 19, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The proposed National Sports Hall of Fame for City Island didn't exactly strike out before the Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority.

But it didn't hit a home run, either.

To be off and running, the sports project needs the redevelopment authority to orchestrate a $30 million bond deal that would pay for its construction and start-up costs.

But yesterday, authority members expressed concerns about the financial feasibility of the combination sports hall of fame, office space, restaurant and bar project.

"I'm trying to look at the sensibility of this whole thing and whether it's going to work," authority member Harold E. Dunbar said. "I am very troubled by this, and it's not because I don't like sports."

Authority members' concerns included flooding problems and exhibits. The board didn't make a decision, opting to continue the discussion on Aug. 9.

A final vote likely would take place later next month.

John Levenda, director of the city's National Sports Hall of Fame Foundation, did his best to allay concerns.

He said the 120,000-square-foot building would be built on stilts above City Island's 100-year floodplain. The first floor would be for parking.

But authority members questioned whether businesses would put up with frequent flood-related closures if they located on City Island.

Levenda said the building could still be accessed by the Walnut Street Bridge in all but the worst flooding, although parking would be eliminated.

He said many firms might be willing to put up with such inconveniences in exchange for the prestige of being on City Island. Plans depict a six-story, glass office tower with two sets of balconies on each floor that overlook the nearby baseball stadium, the cityscape and the Susquehanna River.

Levenda said he has heard from several firms and agencies that are interested.

"This is going to be economically feasible," he said.

Authority Vice Chairman Charles R. Peguese acknowledged the attractiveness of the City Island location but expressed other concerns.

"The island is one of the most popular places in the region, I'll grant you that," he said. "But we really have to be sure what we are doing. To build a museum just to build a museum is not the way to go."

Members also appeared to like that the hall of fame would feature rotating exhibits of mostly donated items, keeping the experience fresh for repeat visits and the artifact costs low. The museum would also feature interactive sports experiences, Levenda said.

The authority's approval would be the first hurdle in the financing deal.

The project still needs the City Council to pledge the city's guarantee behind the 25-year bond issue, a move that generally lowers the interest rate on the bonds and provides more security for investors.

Otherwise, the hall of fame would have to pay higher interest rates on the bonds to attract investors, making the debt far too great to be feasible, officials said.

By giving that guarantee, Harrisburg would be obligated to pay the $1.5 million-a-year bond debt if the hall of fame failed to make enough money to cover its costs.

The project also is scheduled to get $9.5 million from the state's capital projects fund. Levenda has promised that no city tax money would be used for the project.

If all the approvals for the financing fall into place by October, Levenda said it's possible to break ground on the project before the end of the year and finish in late 2008 -- a schedule favored by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

The hall of fame is part of Reed's vision of a "critical mass" of museums in Harrisburg. In addition, he has proposed an African American Heritage Center for a two-building site at Third and Verbeke streets, across from the Broad Street Market.

That project is not expected to move into the final design phase until more money is raised.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 9:04 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
The drunk kids there for the nightlife really abuse that one, though, and I have seen that cow involved in quite a bit LOL
That's a shame. These cow statues are very artistic and represent the soul of the city. They should be treated with reverance.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 9:26 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
That's a shame. These cow statues are very artistic and represent the soul of the city. They should be treated with reverance.
Oh you should've seen what people did to them when they were being displayed, before they were auctioned off. One was stolen (later returned but in awful condition), one had a horn broken off, one had so many people jumping onto its back for a picture it eventually broke...I can go on and on.

There is a different breed of people in Harrisburg, man...many have no repsect for anything.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 9:38 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Oh you should've seen what people did to them when they were being displayed, before they were auctioned off. One was stolen (later returned but in awful condition), one had a horn broken off, one had so many people jumping onto its back for a picture it eventually broke...I can go on and on.

There is a different breed of people in Harrisburg, man...many have no repsect for anything.
Ugh... I don't wanna keep going on about this... but it just tears me up inside to see a work of art... that somebody poured their heart and soul into... be destroyed like that. That must make the artists feel so sick inside.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 9:51 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Ugh... I don't wanna keep going on about this... but it just tears me up inside to see a work of art... that somebody poured their heart and soul into... be destroyed like that. That must make the artists feel so sick inside.
Yeah it was pretty bad and REALLY bugged me. One of the artists even had to go on TV begging people to leave the cows alone!

I think one of the lower blows was when some people vandalized one that was a tribute to the Civil War and Gettysburg. You have to be pretty f'd up to do something like that...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 8:43 PM
Me?!?

Much like Philly, HBG seems to always have the threat of losing its long-time establishments hanging over its head...

McDevitt considers leaving city

Need for space prompts discussion of school in suburbs

Friday, July 21, 2006
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

Bishop McDevitt High School is facing a dilemma: After 88 years, is it time to move out of Harrisburg?

With a long list of renovation and expansion needs, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg is considering whether it makes more sense to build a suburban high school or remain at 2200 Market St., on the fringes of Bellevue Park.

The decision ultimately rests with Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades. Diocese officials say they are studying both options, and there is no timetable for a decision.

The diocese earlier this year informed the school's parents, students and alumnus that the question was being examined. Since then, an intense but respectful debate has emerged.

Those who want to renovate the school talk of Bishop McDevitt's rich tradition and beautiful building and the importance of keeping a presence in urban Harrisburg.

Advocates for moving talk of the need for more parking, the need to expand the school's athletic fields and the opportunities for growth a new building could bring.

"I favor renovation simply because I think it's a unique architectural structure," said Carmen Finestra, a 1965 graduate and member of the school's Advancement Council, which has discussed the question. "I think it's a great location as far as being accessible to students inside the city and outside the city."

Finestra, a Hollywood producer who worked on "Home Improvement" and "The Cosby Show," acknowledged a suburban location might offer more space for parking and athletics.

"My concern about moving into the suburban area is losing some of the city base," he said. "I think that is a nice element of the school."

His wife, Tonia Stivale-Finestra, a '73 grad, agreed: "To rebuild is to disregard the school's history. Our throwaway society wants a quick fix; shiny and new doesn't mean better. McDevitt is fixable."

Dauphin County Judge Richard A. Lewis, a '65 grad, said he believes it is time for McDevitt to have a new home. Also on the school's Advancement Council, he points to the benefits more space would bring.

"It's a beautiful facility, but age has taken a toll," Lewis said. "It would be a massive undertaking to rehab the building, to bring it up to appropriate standards. The athletic field is hemmed in, to say the least, with no room for expansion.

"I believe renovation would be too costly. I believe in the long run, the new construction idea is the more practical," Lewis said. "I recognize the final decision rests with the bishop, and I will certainly abide by and respect his decision."

Both sides pledged to support the bishop's decision -- which is especially important, since either option will require fundraising, diocese officials readily acknowledged.

The Rev. Edward Quinlan, the diocese's secretary for education and former principal at Bishop McDevitt, said a number of people are putting together information and that no deadline has been set for a final report.

After the details of both options are known, Quinlan said the bishop will seek input. The idea of moving started being discussed in January, he said.

"The other part of the process was to begin to talk about this through the community," he said. "Clearly, you want to get a sense of the greater McDevitt community and what they will support in terms of a plan to move ahead."

Quinlan said safety in the urban area hasn't been a major issue, although the need for students to park a distance from the building has raised some concerns. The discussion has centered more on whether the current location can accommodate the athletics, parking and other needs of the school, he said.

Whatever the decision, Quinlan stressed commitment to the city.

"We would never want people to think that somehow the church is no longer interested in the city," he said. "Even if [the school] moved, that would never be our thinking."

Maryjo Szada, a '72 grad and doctor with a family medical practice in Steelton, said she believes the school's presence benefits the city.

"We believe the school is a viable alternative to the public school system," said Szada, who is also on the Advancement Council. "Being a Catholic school, we need to provide that presence of the church in the city and community."

Outgoing McDevitt parent association president Chris Plasic-Van Wagner agreed: "I feel McDevitt needs to stay in the city and be a presence in the city."

Plasic-Van Wagner's husband and four children are all McDevitt grads. Greg Van Wagner, 19, who graduated in May, said student feelings were mixed -- new facilities are tempting and the unairconditioned classrooms can get hot in the spring and fall.

He said he would favor staying, saying a move could diminish the school's spirit.

"It does have a lot of history behind it and it makes McDevitt something a little different," he said of the building. "If we move to a suburban area, we don't have the same image of the Catholic school; we're just another public school, almost."

And now it looks like some of the older boroughs around the city have to deal with the same threat!

PENBROOK
57-year-old parish plans new church in L. Paxton

Friday, July 21, 2006
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque Roman Catholic Church in Penbrook plans to build a church on a 19-acre site straddling the border of Susquehanna and Lower Paxton townships, church and diocese officials say.

The church might eventually move its school there, but probably not for many years, officials said.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...850.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 9:38 PM
Eurosceptic

I hate it when urban catholic schools decide to move to the suburbs because that's where all the students come from. North Catholic in Pittsburgh's Troy Hill is moving north to exurban Butler County due to this same phenomenon. Makes me sick.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 10:19 PM
Me?!?

/\
I do too, but at the same time, I can def. see the logic in being closer to where a majority of your students are. It pains me to say that, but 'tis how I feel...

I just wish the cities could be more accomodating. Some things are out of their hands, yes, but some things are not...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 2:16 AM
joining the rail club

i don't think you can blame McDevitt for considering a move outside the city. in this day and age, it's increasingly hard to operate an urban high school without room to expand facilities. often its cheaper and more realistic to build a completely new structure...often outside the urban core. McDevitt is definately a landmark and a historic structure, but maybe it's time for a change. you can't exactly demolish dense neighborhoods to expand a high school parking lot or athletic fields can you???

as for the cows getting vandalized...i know that that sort of thing did happen, but much infrequently then you would think. i toured much of the city taking pictures of the cows with my younger sister and girlfriend (now my wife) on several days, and never noticed anyone disgracing the cows...infact quite the contrary! not to say that it didn't happen and i do remember reading about the disappearance of one cow in the paper, but for the most part CowParade was a huge success and a boost to the cultural fabic of Harrisburg. the city was one of the first in the world to host the event. Evergrey...some of the cows are still on dispaly throughout the city. some along Front Street and Riverfront Park and at many commercial businesses who sponsored the cows....the cheapest of which sold for thousands of dollars.

Dave: what are your thoughts on the sports hall of fame?

Last edited by wrightchr; Jul 22, 2006 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 3:23 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
i don't think you can blame McDevitt for considering a move outside the city. in this day and age, it's increasingly hard to operate an urban high school without room to expand facilities. often its cheaper and more realistic to build a completely new structure...often outside the urban core. McDevitt is definately a landmark and a historic structure, but maybe it's time for a change. you can't exactly demolish dense neighborhoods to expand a high school parking lot or athletic fields can you???
Yeah and not to mention I know that McDevitt has had A LOT of problems over the years with being so close to John Harris, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting away from that.

Quote:
as for the cows getting vandalized...i know that that sort of thing did happen, but much infrequently then you would think. i toured much of the city taking pictures of the cows with my younger sister and girlfriend (now my wife) on several days, and never noticed anyone disgracing the cows...infact quite the contrary! not to say that it didn't happen and i do remember reading about the disappearance of one cow in the paper, but for the most part CowParade was a huge success and a boost to the cultural fabic of Harrisburg. the city was one of the first in the world to host the event. Evergrey...some of the cows are still on dispaly throughout the city. some along Front Street and Riverfront Park and at many commercial businesses who sponsored the cows....the cheapest of which sold for thousands of dollars.
Chris is wright, Evergrey, it was a huge success. And even though 4+ cows being vandalized is still too much IMO and shows you something about the mindset of your citizens, when you factor in the amount of cows that were all over the city/metro, it wasn't that bad at all.

Quote:
Dave: what are your thoughts on the sports hall of fame?
Another one of the Mayor's boondoggles and it will flop on its face in a few years, just like the Civil War Museum. I wish I could be optimistic with this project but I just can't be. I say just put a restaurant and/or entertainment complex, MAYBE an office tower on the island and let's move on with life. If (and that is a really, really big if there) the city wanted to pull off a PA Sports Hall of Fame Museum, I say put it somewhere near the State Museum and try to create a cultural district of some sort. Why have a museum in Resevoir Park, one on the island, one DT, one on 3rd...come on!!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 5:33 PM
Me?!?

Bishop: Affordability is key to McDevitt's future

McDevitt must remain affordable, bishop says

Saturday, July 22, 2006
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

While the decision whether to move Bishop McDevitt High School out of the city is important, the key mission is to make a Roman Catholic school education affordable to as many as possible, the head of the diocese said yesterday.

Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades, as leader of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg, will decide whether to renovate the 76-year-old school or rebuild elsewhere. He said he doesn't want the debate to overshadow the true mission of making the school affordable to those in need.

And whatever the decision, Rhoades said the church remains committed to Harrisburg and its people.

"I think the key issue for us to address is to have enough financial aid for those who cannot afford tuition, and that means continuing to strengthen our endowment," Rhoades said. "Location isn't the primary consideration; what's primary is affordability."

Rhoades said he hopes this fall to have initial reports on options and price estimates for renovation and moving. After that, he said he would want to hear input from the McDevitt community, including students, parents, faculty, alumni and parishioners.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed, a 1967 McDevitt grad, said he thinks it's important for the school's Catholic mission that it remain at 2200 Market St.

"I think that many would perceive a relocation decision as an abandonment of the Catholic Church principles by which the church has been guided by two millennia," Reed said. "Which is to have a strong physical presence in the area of greatest physical need."

Reed also said he heard talk of potentially moving to the suburbs was sparked by a benefactor who was offering $6 million in cash or land, or both, to help with a move.

Rhoades, however, said the diocese has no firm offers. Discussions about whether to move Bishop McDevitt began before he became bishop, and the current move to put cost estimates on both options began late last year, he said.

"I have received no formal pledges or promises of gifts for a capital campaign," Rhoades said, adding a capital campaign would begin after a decision on how to proceed is made. "I have had some informal conversations with a few potential benefactors."

Regarding the commitment to caring for the city's needy, Rhoades said its charitable efforts show the diocese remains supportive of Harrisburg.

The diocese provided a partial list of more than a dozen Catholic services helping the city's needy, including a soup kitchen and food bank at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, where Rhodes was formerly pastor.

In recent months, as the diocese has engaged consultants to study the options, a debate has emerged that has included some of the area's more prominent residents.

Advocates for moving talk of the need for more parking, the need to expand athletic fields and the opportunities for growth a new building could bring.

Those who want to renovate the school talk of Bishop McDevitt's tradition and beautiful building and the importance of keeping a presence in urban Harrisburg.

"It's really living history," said Carmen Finestra, a 1965 graduate and member of the school's Advancement Council, which has discussed the issue. Finestra said the school should stay in the city.

Finestra, a Hollywood producer who worked on "Home Improvement" and "The Cosby Show," said that while a suburban location might offer more space for parking and athletics, the existing building has a lot of tradition and memories.

"There are a lot of students that have had their parents and grandparents go to that school," Finestra said.

One relocation advocate is Rocco A. Ortenzio, chairman of Select Medical Corp. of Lower Allen Twp., which operates 99 long-term, acute-care hospitals in 26 states and about 740 outpatient rehabilitation clinics throughout the United States and Canada.

Ortenzio, a 1950 grad, said he has not made any funding commitments to the diocese regarding Bishop McDevitt, but said he believes relocation is important for the school's future.

"It is better to have a place with ample grounds, ample parking, better school classrooms as opposed to continuing to spend money on a confined space," he said. "It really comes down to where it makes the most sense to spend the money."

I cam't really argue with that!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 10:06 PM
joining the rail club

^ Ortenzio has the financial power to back a move to the suburbs. he contributed a very large sum to Holy Spirit Hospital's cancer center...which ironically bears his name. after reading this, i definately foresee a move outside the city.

Quote:
Another one of the Mayor's boondoggles and it will flop on its face in a few years, just like the Civil War Museum. I wish I could be optimistic with this project but I just can't be. I say just put a restaurant and/or entertainment complex, MAYBE an office tower on the island and let's move on with life. If (and that is a really, really big if there) the city wanted to pull off a PA Sports Hall of Fame Museum, I say put it somewhere near the State Museum and try to create a cultural district of some sort. Why have a museum in Resevoir Park, one on the island, one DT, one on 3rd...come on!!!
i agree in a way Dave...i mean, there doesn't seem to be much success with the civil war museum. i really like the concept of the museum and the exhibits, but its placement in Resevoir Park makes it out of the way for the very tourists it seeks to draw from. the sports hall of fame has merit in my opinion, but only if it can somehow be self sufficient. adding ample class A and B office space as well as a restaurant might just make it a success. i guess when it comes down to it, i would really like to see City Island take on a life of its own and become a first rate attraction for the region. it's missing something big...a real draw for out of state tourists. it needs some attraction to compete with attention from Hershey and Carlisle. the sports museum might just work as an all around attraction...where as the civil war museum seems to only attract civil war buffs and the usual round of school students.

i know i've mentioned this before in the past, but i really think HBG needs something more than just another museum. if Chattanooga, TN can build a freshwater aquarium, than why not Harrisburg? there's nothing like it in PA...there's one in NJ and the national aqarium in Baltimore...but i really think something like that would be more of an investment in tourism then another savy museum. don't get me wrong...i think building educational venues like museums are worthy, but so would something like this.

Last edited by wrightchr; Jul 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 2:57 AM
Me?!?

I agree, Chris, and I too have always longed to see a fresh water aquarium in HBG. To me that is an ever so obvious attraction, with the Susquehanna and how tied into HBG/SCPA it is!

HBG will NEVER be a mecca for museums IMO. Why not go for another "gimmick"? Build the state's talles building...create an amazing entertainment complex...[i]something[/], anything. Just no more silly museums!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 11:46 AM
Me?!?

I will never, ever understand the reasoning behind this and HBG is definitely saturated now! The last few times I went to the movies in HBG it was at the Regal. One time was opening night for a very big movie and the theatre was only 3/4 full. The second time was for a movie that was only out for a few days, and we were one of SEVEN people in the theatre...on a Sat. night!

SWATARA TWP.

Harrisburg Mall plans 14-screen theater

Monday, July 24, 2006
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

Mark Nobile smiled when asked if the Harrisburg area needs 14 new theaters in an era when many watch rental movies on big-screen home televisions or recently released flicks on cable TV.

Nobile, manager of Harrisburg Mall, has a stake in the answer. He and other mall officials will break ground Aug. 1 for The Great Escape Theaters, a 14-screen complex.

Less than two miles away, High Pointe Commons shopping center also plans to open a theater and entertainment complex next year.

"Theaters are full all the time," Nobile said. "When new movies come out, they play in the theaters two or three weeks. People go to the movies."

The noon groundbreaking at Harrisburg Mall will launch the building of a 60,000-square-foot addition behind the Swatara Twp. mall.

The complex is scheduled to open in late 2007, in time for the holiday movie season, Nobile said. It will be built between Boscov's and Hecht's, soon to become Macy's.

"The theaters are part of the mall's phase two renovations," Nobile said, adding that the phase includes adding a "lifestyle component" of shops and restaurants in front of the mall.

"We want people to come here for entertainment, as well as shopping. These will be first-class theaters with amenities."

The complex will include theaters of various sizes with full stadium seating and 18-inch risers, rocking high-back chairs and love seats, wall-to-wall screens, digital surround sound, concession stands and a cafe.

An official from Feldman Mall Properties Inc., the mall's owner, said Aliance Management Inc. will operate the theater complex.

Earlier this month, The Great Escape chain opened a 10-screen theater at Lebanon Valley Mall.

"This theater will bring a level of luxury that Harrisburg's theater patrons have been craving," said Larry Feldman, Feldman Mall Properties CEO and chairman.

Nobile said that the theaters, which will have a "grand entrance" near the food court, will be built "on pillars" so the mall can keep its 4,900 parking spaces.

The Swatara Twp. police substation near the current Hecht's entrance will be relocated.

Calling the Harrisburg Mall "a city with a roof on it," Nobile said he wants the two-level mall to "offer a little bit of everything to everyone."

The mall has more than 900,000 square feet of retail space, a food court and about 110 stores, including anchors Bass Pro Shops, Boscov's and Hecht's, which will become Macy's in September.

The mall was renovated in 1993 "to lose the '70s look," Nobile said.

In 2003, Feldman Mall Properties bought Harrisburg East Mall, dropped the word "East" and began a renovation that brought in Boscov's and Bass Pro Shops.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 4:34 PM

I think the Regal does just okay. Sometimes it's busy, but many times it is not. It's actually a pretty good place to go. The new Cinema Center on the west shore is the same way. It can get really busy on the weekends, but most of the time on weekdays it's deadsville. But isn't that how theaters always are?

The improvements taking place at the Harrisburg Mall are much needed. But what the mall really needs are better stores. It's ashame that you have to go to Park City in Lancaster (smaller market!) just to get a decent mall.

The lifestyle component sounds very interesting. It would be nice to make the Harrisburg Mall more of a destination mall, for something other then just the Bass Pro Shops.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
joining the rail club

^ i completely agree.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 7:51 PM
Me?!?

I agree too, and Harrisburg needs much more diverse retail. There is a lot of shopping in the HBG area but it is all the same crap...

The next time I am in HBG I just have to drvie on this, as that section has been one-way my entire life...it is going to be weird I am sure LOL

SWATARA TWP.

Businesses welcome 2-way Paxton Street

Tuesday, July 25, 2006
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

The long-awaited $4.1 million conversion of the one-way eastern end of Paxton Street, transforming it to a two-way thoroughfare, is expected to take effect this morning.

The change today will affect nearly a mile of the Swatara Twp. thoroughfare from the Harrisburg Mall to Eisenhower Boulevard. It will begin at 9 a.m. "if everything goes right," and the whole stretch should be open by the end of day, said Greg Penny, a state Department of Transportation spokesman.

"We will start with two-way traffic from the light at Bass Pro Shops to Friendship Road," Penny said. "If that goes well, we'll go from the light at Friendship Road to the one at 40th Street. Then we'll continue from 40th Street to Eisenhower Boulevard. This will be our soft opening, or rehearsal. We hope to have the grand opening Monday."

The road opening is "very good news" for the TecPort Business Center and the adjacent restaurants and businesses, said David Balinski, vice president of development for Crossgates Inc., the developer that opened TecPort on the former AMP Inc. campus.

"We've waited a long time for this," Balinski said. "Now people will have full accessibility to our businesses from both sides of Paxton Street, instead of saying, 'You can't get there from here.' Everyone expects to get extra volumes of business because it will be easier for people to get here."

The conversion is "a plus for the whole area," said Mark Nobile, the general manager of the Harrisburg Mall. "It's been difficult having Paxton Street one-way all this time. This makes getting around this area so much easier. I couldn't be happier."

The project, which began 16 months ago and originally was to be completed last November, involved widening nearly a mile of eastern Paxton Street and installing traffic signals near the entrance to 40th street and at both ends of Friendship Road.

The eastern part of Paxton Street now can accommodate two-way traffic and has a right eastbound turning lane and a center westbound turning lane.

PennDOT will spend the next month "assessing the new road and watching for any glitches," Penny said. "If there are, we'll have technicians to adjust timing and circuits. After all these years of one-way, it will take getting used to. We'll have signs directing motorists, especially from Eisenhower Boulevard to Paxton Street."

The grand opening, featuring a ribbon-cutting ceremony and speeches, is tentatively scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday at Paxton Street and Friendship Road.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:23 PM
Me?!?

Here is my point exactly! HBG never gets anything new and it is always the same crap recycled over and over...with such a large space, it would've been a golden opportunity to attract something new to the area!

RETAILING

Furniture store planned
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Value City Furniture plans to open a store on Sept. 1 in the former Media Play space in Lower Paxton Twp.

The store will feature the American Signature Gallery brand of furniture in a 34,078-square-foot showroom.

It will be the Columbus, Ohio-based company's 96th store. Value City Furniture has another Harrisburg-area store in Silver Spring Twp.

The new Value City Furniture store will be in a strip shopping center along Route 22 that also features Gander Mountain, SuperPetz and Old Country Buffet. Media Play, which offered music, video games, movies and books, closed earlier this year.

From staff and wire reports

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations