HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 4:52 AM

Disaster response containers

I wonder how long until they get broken into.

Quote:
An emergency container has been placed near the West Vancouver Community Centre, outside the Ice Arena, to help prepare the community in the event of a major earthquake or other disaster.

The container, which looks like a storage pod, is the sixth Disaster Supply Cache to be added to locations throughout the North Shore and contains items to aid responders such as radios, personal protective equipment, generators, and evacuee support supplies.

The emergency containers are a joint effort between North Shore Emergency Management and the three North Shore municipalities—the District of West Vancouver, the District of North Vancouver, and the City of North Vancouver. The project was partially funded by a 2018 Community Emergency Preparedness Fund grant under the Union of BC Municipalities.

The Disaster Supply Caches are a component of the North Shore Operational Readiness Initiative, a resiliency strategy that includes coordinating emergency response across the North Shore.

The contents of the containers aid local responders in the event of a disaster such as a major earthquake, urban interface wildfire, or flood, and are located at key centres where emergency response and support would be organized. In addition, the supplies have recently been used in apartment fires on the North Shore.

"In the event of a disaster, this Disaster Supply Cache ensures the availability of resources necessary to help West Vancouver residents recover, including many of our most vulnerable residents who live nearby in seniors care homes," said Michael Andrews, Deputy Director of North Shore Emergency Management.

"The containers help us be prepared for an emergency or disaster. They are intended to support our residents in their time of greatest need."

In addition to outside the Ice Arena, the other containers are located near the Gleneagles Community Centre and, in North Vancouver, near the North Shore Neighbourhood House, Karen Magnussen Community Recreation Centre, Parkgate Community Centre and, soon to be installed, at the North Vancouver Tennis Centre.
https://westvancouver.ca/news/new-em...other-disaster

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:34 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I wonder how long until they get broken into.

https://westvancouver.ca/news/new-em...other-disaster
there has been an emergency container parked adjacent to the elementary school in my north shore neighbourhood for decades. It a massive shipping container and I suspect all schools on the north shore have them. There has been no issues of breaking in

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues