HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 12:17 AM

A-ha! So nvm my previous request for a shot of the Walker & Eisen bank at the SW corner of 7th and Figueroa—

1928, Merchants National Trust & Savings Bank:

usc

In 1933, it's become a furrier:

usc

This is almost exactly the same vantage point:

Neon polar bears are the coolest.

I also found out what happened to that corner...June of '57, about a year after demolition:

huntington

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

................................................................................................................
aww shucks! All in a day's work! (When, you know, you're procrastinating around your day's work.)

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Lucky supermarkets seem to have been ubiquitous for a long time and I don't know if any remain.
Lucky was bought out, IIRC, by Albertson's some years ago, but the name is springing up again. There's a Lucky along Valley Blvd. in the SGV, I think in San Gabriel itself.

And Albertson's was recently absorbed, although its name abides for now, along with the last remnants of Sav-On Pharmacy. I assume Safeway bought it, because they carry Lucerne dairy products now.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; May 26, 2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typos.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Trading stamps died off completely about 1980, but in my anecdotal experience, as a practical matter they lapsed into irrelevance hereabouts by 1975, the victim of the advent of bare-bones grocery pricing (led by Lucky Stores, as I recall).

There were two brands of trading stamps: Blue Chip Stamps and S&H (Sperry and Hutchinson) Green Stamps. Green Stamps were much better, being worth considerably more (their posted value was 1 2/3 mills as opposed to 1 mill for Blue Chip Stamps), but all the major stores gave Blue Chip.

Trading stamps were awesome. We had a large family, and the stamps were a significant enhancement to our lifestyle. I personally benefited with two bicycles.

And don't get me started on Betty Crocker points.

More on trading stamps?

http://nebula.wsimg.com/d59fcd78299c...&alloworigin=1

Quote:
A department store in Milwaukee introduced the first trading stamps back in 1891, which were exchanged for goods in the store but in 1896, the Sperry and Hutchinson Company, which began issuing S&H Green Stamps that year, was the first trading stamp company that operated as an independent business, providing stamps to different types of merchants in a community, along with booklets to paste them in, and opening their own stores where merchandise was purchased only in exchange for the company's stamps. Cold, hard cash wasn't accepted at the stores known as "redemption centers."

An entire history was quickly spawned from the concept that S&H innovated, reaping billions of dollars by the mid-20th Century. Stores, service stations and other businesses were handing out stamps of all colors to customers, with names like Gold Bond, Gift House, Triple-S, Plaid Stamps, King Korn, Blue Chip, Top Value and many others. But the green and red S&H sign was displayed by more stores and gas stations than any other. They were the only nation-wide stamp plan, while the others were mostly regional.

Trading stamp systems worked this way: the stamp company would sell large pads or reels of stamps to a retailer for a miniscule fee. Each stamp had a cash value of about one mill (one-tenth of a cent) and one stamp would be handed out to customers for every ten cents spent.

The customer would paste the stamps into the provided booklets, keep coming back to the store or other retailers who carried that brand of stamps, and eventually filled enough booklets with stamps to exchange for whatever goodies he or she wanted at the redemption center set up by the company. In the meantime the customer could pick up a catalog with color illustrations of available items and the number of booklets required.

Trading stamps still exist but they have all but disappeared from the American retail scene. The American public seemed to love the little sticky coupons, but they were controversial from their inception, stirring up the ire of some retailers, economists and state legislatures. They were described by one anti-stamp lobbyist as "prostitution at their best and economic insanity at their worst." Dozens of states introduced bills to penalize stamps in one way or another, banning them outright or imposing prohibitive taxes. Such legislative proposals were often protested by the public and ultimately defeated but when they did pass, the stamp companies, with all their economic clout, sued, often all the way to the Supreme Court.

There were questions as to whether stamps were an advantage to consumers or took advantage of consumers. The battles raged from the earliest days but ultimately it would not be politics or lobbying that would bring down the industry but the unforeseen turbulence of a changing economy. One thing was for sure, though, the trading stamp concept is something uniquely American. http://www.studioz7.com/stamps.html

"Mrs. Pershing Sahroian, Sepulveda, and Mrs. John Kuhns, Woodland Hills, begin the slow task of pasting into nearly 900 books the trading stamps already collected by the American Legion Auxiliary, District 20, toward obtaining a new bus for the New Horizon Center, 15725 Parthenia St., Sepulveda, a facility for [special needs] children. The goal for the stamp drive, which concludes May 1, is about 2,600 books, the necessary amount to purchase a school bus from the stamp company."

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleite...hotos/id/61111

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 5:45 PM

Blue Chip Stamp Redemption Center @ 4307 Leimert Blvd.

I saw no Blue Chip Stamp stores in the May 1956 LA Street Address Directory, but here's one in the March 1960 directory. I recall being
taken to this store when I was a kid:

LAPL

I couldn't find a photo of 4307 Leimert as the Blue Chip Stamp store. The January 1969 LASAD shows the store is still open, but there is
a June 16, 1969, building permit for a sign at that location for Hubert's Liquor:

April 2018 GSV (the tree is larger in the 2019 view)

The originial building permit for 4307 Leimert is dated September 26, 1939. Other permits show that the store opened as a Safeway Market.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; May 26, 2019 at 9:31 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Cinnamon Cinder, Ventura Blvd, 1963.

Google Books - It's in the Book, Bob!
Thanks for finding that, Noir_Noir!

I thought you were making a joke with the link line: "It's in the Book, Bob!", but that is indeed the title of the book!

This LINK says:

Cinnamon Cinder: 11345 Ventura Blvd., Studio City – formerly Larry Potter’s Supper Club. The Ventura Blvd. location next became the Magic Mushroom, then the Point After (sports bar), then a country-music club called V.I.S. As far as I know, the location was most recently the Maf Club.
_______

When I resided in Studio City I recall The Point After being there.
_______

I looked at the book link to see if it mentions what the name of the place signifies, if anything. Apparently, because the Peppermint Lounge was famous they wanted a similar sounding name. Cinnamon Lounge didn't sound right to them, but they were going to go with that. Eubanks and the other partners were all in line at the business recorders office and when the clerk asked what the name of the business was they were there to register, according to the book, "one of us just blurted out 'Cinnamon Cinder.' What the word cinder had to do with anything I don't know, but alliteration was big then so the name stuck."

Okay...

The book refers to the club being in North Hollywood, but it is/was, in fact, in Studio City.

Russ Regan, a songwriter who wrote the "Peppermint Twist" song that put the Peppermint Lounge club on the map, wanted to write a song for this place. He did and Eubanks thought it was awful. It was recorded, though, and made it up to #17 on the national charts. Eubanks writes that essentially this "two minute commercial running on radio stations all over the country put the place on the map." He also writes, "Some people started hearing Elvis Presley's 1962 hit 'Return to Sender' as 'Return to Cinder'. Who was I to talk them out of it?"

Okay...

By the way, in the above photo, the group being advertised playing at the Cinnamon Cinder is Pastel 6, who recorded this song. Do you agree with Bob Eubanks?

Video Link

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 26, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Roller-things appear again in this image:

"SW corner 7th & Figueroa June 1920"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal reality
.......................................................................................My mysterious 'kidnappers' turned out to be nothing more than a man and a woman having a chat.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(from the back the man looks like Frank Lloyd Wright)
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and if I'm not mistaken, he's talking to Diane Keaton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

DETAIL
I realize Clio's house is going to be moved but what is that mess on the roof of the porch? It doesn't appear on any of the other houses.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:06 AM

Here are four Kodachrome slides dated 1959....taken from the observation deck of City Hall.

I know that we have seen similar slides, but I'm pretty sure we haven't seen these particular (amateur) slides.

They focus on the Union Station Post Office building and the surrounding area.

Ebay

extra bonus: Gas-O-Meter ....(Los Angeles County Hospital in the distance..the twin towers of the Union Station Post Office far right > >

Ebay

Ebay / THIS ONE IS DATED 1960.

Ebay

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs

THE SLIDES ARE BEING SOLD SEPARATELY.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:24 AM

This interesting, somewhat melancholy, black & white snapshot of a sailor walking down the street just turned up on Ebay as well.

Ebay

The Alexandria Hotel, seen in the distance, is located at 501 S Spring St.

reverse

"Jan . 58 Taken in los Angeles, Calif."

A closer look

He's probably going off to the Korean War. (five years too late)

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:00 AM

I happened upon this mini-mystery while perusing photographs on flickr.

"Budweiser Eagle Animated Sign Spectacular Day View - Los Angeles Circa early 1950s"

Heather David at flickr

"Believed to have been installed in a stadium in the Los Angeles area - prior to the opening of the Anheuser-Busch plant in Van Nuys in 1954."

Hmmm....Dodger Stadium didn't open until 1962. Where do you think this (harshly cropped) pic. was taken?
(as most of you noirisher know, the large feather is a symbol of the Los Angeles Community Chest)

Heather also included this to show the animated sequence of the sign.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

By the way, in the above photo, the group being advertised playing at the Cinnamon Cinder is Pastel 6, who recorded this song. Do you agree with Bob Eubanks?

Video Link

Thank Martin Pal for getting that one stuck in my head. And, yes, I DO agree with Bob Eubanks (per usual).

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Cinnamon Cinder: 11345 Ventura Blvd., Studio City – formerly Larry Potter’s Supper Club. The Ventura Blvd. location next became the Magic Mushroom, then the Point After (sports bar), then a country-music club called V.I.S. As far as I know, the location was most recently the Maf Club.
Thanks, Martin, for reminding me that I''d actually visited the Cinnamon Cinder! I recall going there, and saying to myself, "Hey, this used to be the Point After."

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
extra bonus: Gas-O-Meter
When did the gas-o-meters vanish? I'm certain at least one of them was still there in the mid-1960s because I saw one or both from a train as we departed for Omaha.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
When did the gas-o-meters vanish? I'm certain at least one of them was still there in the mid-1960s because I saw one or both from a train as we departed for Omaha.
I remember them being there in the late 60's, I checked FrameFinder and they were still there in 1971. I guess they were removed sometime in the mid-70's.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Here are four Kodachrome slides dated 1959....taken from the observation deck of City Hall.

I know that we have seen similar slides, but I'm pretty sure we haven't seen these particular (amateur) slides.

They focus on the Union Station Post Office building and the surrounding area.

Ebay

extra bonus: Gas-O-Meter ....(Los Angeles County Hospital in the distance..the twin towers of the Union Station Post Office far right > >
I'm confused, are you saying the two towers at the right in this picture are the Terminal Annex towers? They're right by the Macy Street bridge over the river. Terminal Annex would be out of the frame to the left.

ETA: Actually they've not right by the Macy Street Bridge, they ARE the Macy Street Bridge. Contemporary photo to follow.

ETA2: Pictures!

Here's a photo from 2017 from the City Hall Observation Deck framed roughly the same as ER's slide(it's been blown up past the camera's resolution):
By BillinGlendaleCa
The tracks at the bottom are Union Station and at the far right you can see the "towers" of Macy Street Bridge. Here's the wide angle photo:
07180140.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr
I'm including this shot just to provide context, you can see Terminal Annex is to the left of the Metro building(the yellow one to the right of County General).

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; May 27, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 12:28 AM

You're absolutely right. That is the Macy St. Bridge.

Thanks for the correction, BillinGlendaleCA.

Now I'm curious about the light colored tressle. It appears to be 40 ft. 60 ft. above the ground.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 28, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely right. That is the Macy St. Bridge.

Thanks for the correction, BillinGlendaleCA.

Now I'm curious about the light colored tressle. It appears to be 40 ft. 60 ft. above the ground.
You can see it on the aerial photos from FrameFinder, based on it's location I'd guess it's something used to load trains. It looks like it was there all the way up to the mid-80's(that's the latest aerial I could d/l), I can't see it on the 2007 Google Street View(looking from Mission).

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I remember them being there in the late 60's, I checked FrameFinder and they were still there in 1971. I guess they were removed sometime in the mid-70's.
My grandmother had an apartment in Echo Park on Laguna right across the street from the park and what is now the Episcopal Church Diocesan offices. We lived in the OC and I remember coming up the 101 and seeing the gasometers (and the Brew 102 plant ) into the early 70's. When I was a kind I asked my dad what was in the tanks and he said "gas". He owned a service station and I thought he meant gasoline! What fascinated me about the gasometers was the way they could raise and lower the tank within the steel frame to maintain pressure.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
My grandmother had an apartment in Echo Park on Laguna right across the street from the park and what is now the Episcopal Church Diocesan offices. We lived in the OC and I remember coming up the 101 and seeing the gasometers (and the Brew 102 plant ) into the early 70's. When I was a kind I asked my dad what was in the tanks and he said "gas". He owned a service station and I thought he meant gasoline! What fascinated me about the gasometers was the way they could raise and lower the tank within the steel frame to maintain pressure.
Looking at the aerial from 1976, you can still see where they were, but they're gone. My guess is that there were removed in 1975.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Thank Martin Pal for getting that one stuck in my head. And, yes, I DO agree with Bob Eubanks (per usual).
LOL! I agree with Bob Eubanks about that song, too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos