HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Living rough - how to navigate when it is a choice?

With it now being confirmed that the Enoch Sales House burned down due to a squatter scaling the fence, breaking in, and then starting a fire, it begs the question, why did this person feel the need to do this? Was there absolutely no space at places open to take in the homeless? Further, it triggered a question in my mind resulting from a number of articles I've read over the years where people choose to be on the street. How do we navigate this issue?

As an aside, I noticed an article in Global earlier where one of Edmonton's Councillors was suggesting that all LRT stations be kept open 24 hours on cold nights so that no one needs to be left outside. It is a thoughtful suggestion actually, because these spaces are heated anyway and are commercial construction so should withstand basic messes that might occur. Thoughts for this here?

I get that this doesn't help downtown, but could help in the Franklin / Marlborough areas, and could be a consideration when the core's underground stations are completed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
With it now being confirmed that the Enoch Sales House burned down due to a squatter scaling the fence, breaking in, and then starting a fire, it begs the question, why did this person feel the need to do this? Was there absolutely no space at places open to take in the homeless? Further, it triggered a question in my mind resulting from a number of articles I've read over the years where people choose to be on the street. How do we navigate this issue?

As an aside, I noticed an article in Global earlier where one of Edmonton's Councillors was suggesting that all LRT stations be kept open 24 hours on cold nights so that no one needs to be left outside. It is a thoughtful suggestion actually, because these spaces are heated anyway and are commercial construction so should withstand basic messes that might occur. Thoughts for this here?

I get that this doesn't help downtown, but could help in the Franklin / Marlborough areas, and could be a consideration when the core's underground stations are completed.
Some people don't like being warehoused and we should leave them be if that's what they want. When it's super cold, etc. we should provide them with warm places to stay but using LRT stations is not the solution. Unless there was a lot of security they would be vandalized and probably destroyed in no time. I don't imagine early morning commuters would be too thrilled navigating God knows what. If Edmonton wants to try this out let them do it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Some people don't like being warehoused and we should leave them be if that's what they want. When it's super cold, etc. we should provide them with warm places to stay but using LRT stations is not the solution. Unless there was a lot of security they would be vandalized and probably destroyed in no time. I don't imagine early morning commuters would be too thrilled navigating God knows what. If Edmonton wants to try this out let them do it.
Yeah - let's learn from their experiences. And you're right about early morning or late night LRT users, but maybe there are ways to navigate. For the few nights required (let's say a dozen a year) it would be cheaper to have all-night staff than to create greater shelter spaces. On the other end of the spectrum, however, society shouldn't encourage this concept of living rough.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy