HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 7:36 PM
Majestic

Calgary Municipal Election 2007 Thread

As you guys know, there is an election coming up in October. This could be an important one, not because we are going to see a new mayor (Bronco is pretty well entrenched) but because the possible shakeup of the Aldermans positions. It is also going to be interesting to see what the arguments and issues are (ex. West LRT)

I will update this post with information as time goes on...

2007 General Election Information

Date: Monday, October 15, 2007
Time: 10:00-17:00

Offices:
Mayor
Alderman: Wards 1-14
Public Trustees: Wards 1&2, 3&4, 5&10, 6&7, 8&9, 11&13, 12&14
Seperate Trustees: Wards 1&2+Cochrane, 3&5+Airdrie, 4&7, 6&8, 9&10+Chestermere&Area, 11&12, 13&14

2007 Ward Map & Information

Candidates:

MayorWard 1
  • Banks, Jennifer
  • Hodges, Dale <-- Incumbent
  • Perrault, Normand
Ward 2
  • Avramenko, Terry
  • Del Re, Daniel M.
  • Lowe, Gord <-- Incumbent
  • Magliocca, Biagio
Ward 3
  • Chahal, George
  • Larocque, Helene <-- Incumbent
  • Stevenson, Jim
Ward 4
  • Evans, Richard
  • Hawkesworth, Bob <-- Incumbent
  • Peterson, Alex
Ward 5
  • El-Rafih, Mohamed
  • Jones, Ray <-- Incumbent
Ward 6
  • Berglund, Rosemary
  • Burrows, Craig <-- Incumbent
  • Connelly, Joe
  • Istvanffy, James Donald
  • Kohut, James
Ward 7
  • Aithal, Jag
  • Eldridge, Barry
  • Farrell, Druh <-- Incumbent
  • Terlesky, Merle
Ward 8Ward 9
  • Ceci, Joe <-- Incumbent
  • Koenig, Al
  • Waciak, Stan
Ward 10
  • Chabot, Andre <-- Incumbent
  • Dossa, Nargis
Ward 11 (No Incumbent)
  • Matthews, Dave
  • Murray, James M. (Jim)
  • Pincott, Brian
  • Rockwell, Jim
  • Whelan, Evonne
Ward 12
  • Halfyard, Nick
  • McIver, Richard William (Ric) <-- Incumbent
Ward 13 Acclaimed
  • Colley-Urquhart, Diane Marie <-- Incumbent
Ward 14 Acclaimed
  • Fox-Mellway, Linda <-- Incumbent
List of Candidates for Trustees

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Sep 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 7:42 PM
Majestic

Ald. Barry Erskine bows out
Kim Guttormson , Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Long-time civic politician Barry Erskine, who faced a rocky term in office over the past three years, has decided to retire.

Erskine, who ran unopposed in the last election, said Wednesday he won't be seeking re-election on Oct. 15.
The news caught many city hall watchers off guard, because the five-term has maintained he was running. As early as Monday's council meeting he told media he grew back his trademark mustache because it matched campaign literature from 2004, when he was acclaimed.

His sudden move leaves just one known contender seeking the Ward 11 seat - environmentalist Brian Pincott announced his intentions two months ago - and doesn't leave much time for any others contemplating a run.

Incumbents are considered tougher to beat and wide-open races typically attract more candidates. But with nomination day Monday, it wouldn't leave much time for anyone who isn't already geared up with signs, a campaign team, brochures.

The past term has been stressful for the 61-year-old, who also hosts a radio gardening show.
He came under fire for his handling of a number of important area issues, including the future southwest ring road and the impact widening Glenmore Trail had on neighbouring homes.

And he flip flopped on two crucial council votes - in 2005 he changed his vote so that police were required to increase the amount of revenues raised. Last year, he initially voted against taking the money left when the province reduced the amount of education property tax it collected, but after a break asked to vote again, changed his mind.

The 2004-2007 term also saw Erskine overspend his aldermanic office budget in 2005 by almost $10,000, which he had to repay.
Long-time civic politician Barry Erskine is expected to announce his retirement this afternoon, less than a week before nominations for the Oct. 15 election.

Sources said Erskine is leaving to pursue other opportunities, but the five-term Ward 11 alderman would not confirm why he is holding a press conference.

The news will catch many city hall watchers off guard, because Erskine has maintained he was running. As early as Monday's council meeting he told media he grew back his trademark mustache because it matched campaign literature from 2004, when he was acclaimed.

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:30 PM

Pincott was at my door last week. Seemed like a nice fella. I support his idea for building city density and transit vs. roads.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:37 PM

Sandy Jenkins seems to be running on the same platform as Alnoor Kassam - transportation is a key priority. Sandy wants to see the downtown LRT buried - let's hope he has a few billion in cash sitting around to make this happen during his first mandate.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:48 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Last week i heard a radio ad for Alnoor, I'll paraphrase it here:

"Are you fed up with driving through the nice new bridge at Glenmore and Elbow only to be backed up longer at 37th Street? Have you been frusterated that you can't turn north onto Deerfoot from Beddington? Vote Alnoor!"

Like he thinks he can build new interchanges faster then Bronco can.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:58 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I'm seriously thinking about making my decision based on my Alderman (and Mayor's) lack of support for the 'Support our Troops' on city vehicles initiative, then turning around and declaring September as 'Support our Troops' month.

Spineless decision making in my opinion. Not that it will make a difference and I hope Bronco wins again (I could really care less about my alderman).

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:15 PM

I don't even live in the city, but my view so far of the two challengers for Mayor is that both are trying to wow the populace with highly unrealistic visions of the future, and really so far on only one of the many issues that should be election topics.

I haven't heard the ad that was mentioned above, but my favorite is the one where the one speaker says she passed her boss driving in his car 4 times while walking home, hinting that if they get elected then all the traffic in downtown will mysteriously disappear and driving across downtown in the middle of rush hour would take 2 minutes end to end *without* stopping. Even by burying the LRT under 8th, and even going as far as putting it under 7th as well this is not likely to occur.

If I did live in the city I'd be voting for Bronco as it stands currently.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:32 PM
Majestic

An article from yesterday:

Police union boss running for alderman
Colette Derworiz, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Al Koenig, president of the Calgary Police Association, has officially thrown his hat into the Ward 9 election race.

Surrounded by dozens of supporters, including several police officers and federal MP Art Hanger, Koenig launched Tuesday his run for political office at the association's headquarters.

"I feel compelled to take on the challenge of civic politics precisely because of my experience as a police officer and as head of the police association," Koenig said at a press conference Tuesday. "I'd like to serve all Calgarians now by drawing attention to some of the problems that exist in our city - from traffic to crime to the operation of city council as it relates to the police.

"I can no longer be a voice on the sidelines," he added.

Ald. Joe Ceci, incumbent in Ward 9, could not be reached for comment this morning.

The election race begins officially on Monday, which is nomination day. The municipal election is on Oct. 15.
=========================================================

Anyone know how well Ceci is doing in Ward 9?

I know I'm going to be watching Ward 8. Madelaine still has a lot of support, but her opponents are starting to grow (ex. Steve Chapman... whom I don't like)

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:43 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I don't even live in the city, but my view so far of the two challengers for Mayor is that both are trying to wow the populace with highly unrealistic visions of the future, and really so far on only one of the many issues that should be election topics.
It is my opinion that we should charge you tolls to drive into our city and use our stuff!

Interesting that Erskine is out. I truly don't like that man and am glad he's gone. Wow, Pincott must feel like this is his lucky day. He is the only one running so far, and even if others decided to run it would be difficult to impossible to put together a meaningful campaign in such a short time. But who knows. Pincott is an NDPer who is chair of the Sierra Club here. Some right winger will probably jump into the race, just because.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 10:14 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
(I could really care less about my alderman).
Why? I mean, sure, the Mayor is a very important position, and is an office that leads council in one direction or another. However, Alderman are extremely influential in council and can either enact or hinder that process. They also sit on various committees and boards... where would we be if we didn't have people like the Alderbabe in CPC for these past several years?

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Any decent alternatives to Grandma Maddie in Ward 8?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
How about someone who speaks more than 10 words per minute...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 2:09 AM
Coasting

Quote:
I'd vote for Madeleine King rather than a certain chap who's running against her (former city cop I believe). He's too obsessed with parking issues and I've heard he's not too friendly toward the gay community which does represent a significant percentage of the ward 8 population. In my building alone the gay population is around 18%.

Madeleine has irritated me from time to time during her term in office but I do believe she has the best interest of the Beltline community at heart. She gets my vote if I am still in Calgary on election day or for the advance polls. I have to be out of my condo (and Calgary) by October 30th.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Why? I mean, sure, the Mayor is a very important position, and is an office that leads council in one direction or another. However, Alderman are extremely influential in council and can either enact or hinder that process. They also sit on various committees and boards... where would we be if we didn't have people like the Alderbabe in CPC for these past several years?
Agreed. The aldermanic position is the one political position that most closely affects people's live (vs. MLA or MP).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:42 AM
Round Head

Yeah Madeleine has her faults but she is an urbanist, and she has very close ties to Beltline and supports its goals. Chapman is downright scary. I don't know what will happen if he gets in.

Unfortunately Ceci is going to be destroyed by Koenig, I fear. Which is too bad, I like Ceci.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:01 PM
City Maker

I only have one thing to say...

Josh White for Mayor!!!

Thank you for your time.

- De
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:03 PM
City Maker

I only have one thing to say...

Josh White for Mayor!!!

Thank you for your time.

- De
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:04 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Well, if you want to retire our sitting alderthingy, and if you're thinking as I am that there's no unprintable way you're going to vote for the kook, you might want to look into Lindsay Lunhau and John Mar.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 5:00 PM
Round Head

Thanks Riise.

No, I definitely won't be running for mayor.

As for John Mar - the man is a nut. I talked to him a few weeks ago and what a weirdo. Seriously, the guy doesn't really even work, he is on his parent's payroll and lives of their wealth.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I think Lindsay Luhnau is a pretty good alternative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy