HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:24 PM

Yep. looks like another bad year for Thunder Bay though in 2015 it was Regina (with 8) not Thunder Bay (only 3 in 2015, I believe).

The media picked up on the over 13 months without a murder in Québec City.

In French only, I am afraid.

The article compares Québec City with Winnipeg (at 18 at the time of writing - 28 August) and lists, with photos the last 5 murders in Québec City.

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/...le-securitaire

Québec City and Lévis are still at 0 for 2016. One more quarter to go.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It only takes a few incidents to push the numbers up dramatically. In a metro of one million, the difference between 20 or 30 is insignificant to say the least. Unless of course you happen to be one of those extra 10 people.

Actually, an extra ten murders pushes the murder rate up by 1 per 100,000 - so for say, Edmonton or Ottawa that is the difference between 1 per 100,000 and 2 which is the difference between being below average and above average.

I would consider an extra 10 per million to be significant. For the big two in Canada (Toronto and Montreal), maybe not - numbers vary from year to year and Montreal had a fantastic start to the year and Toronto a really sucky first 4 months but these things tend to even out over time. These events occur in a non-Linear distribution, of course. But at an average of 1.45 per 100,000 in Canada - yes an extra 10 for Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa is statistically significant.

I take your point because Surrey, BC dropped by 8 between 2013 and 2014. But Metro Vancouver numbers were 43 (2015), 56 (2014), 53
(2013).

Still, trends are perhaps more important than specific numbers.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 12:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A high-profile death in Labrador is now being treated as a murder. She was a missionary with the Moravian Church, which is huge in Labrador.

Her obituary from weeks ago:

Quote:
It is with great sadness that the family and friends announce the sudden passing of Regula Schule in her home in Happy Valley, on July 24th, 2016 at the age of 88. She is predeceased by her parents Irene and Charles Schule and brothers Ueli Schule and Hans Schule. Regula is deeply mourned by her beloved daughter Susie, and sister Elizabeth Schule in Switzerland. She will be missed by her many friends; her sisters and brothers in Christ of the Moravian Church; the inmates of the Labrador Correctional Center who held a special place in her heart; her former students in Makkovik, North West River and Happy Valley; and the whole community Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Regula will be remembered for her incredible kindness, her missionary spirit, her ministry to those in need, and her love of music. She was born in Zurich, Switzerland on April 22nd, 1928, and made her way to Makkovik in 1967. From that moment on she committed her life to helping others.

Apart from being a school teacher, Regula was also an Acolyte with the Moravian Church, an organist, Sunday school teacher, and choir director. She volunteered extensively throughout the community to improve the lives of those in need. With a smile that would melt the frozen North, Regula always made time for those who needed her help and brightened the days of so many. She will be greatly missed.

"…well done, thou good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25:21).
'Regula Schule was an angel': Community reacts to murder charges in volunteer's death

Quote:
People in Happy Valley-Goose Bay whose lives were touched by lifelong volunteer and community worker Regula Schule are working through their emotions as they digest the news RCMP have laid a second-degree murder charge in relation to her death.

"She gave her heart to everybody. As far as I'm concerned, she was just a beautiful woman that nobody should never do any harm to," said John Neville, an artist who had known Schule for years, his voice wavering with emotion at her memory.

"Regula Schule was an angel, she was a good woman."

Schule, 88, was found unresponsive in her home in the midst of a house fire July 24. On Wednesday, RCMP laid a charge of second-degree murder against Jonathan Henoche, 30, following a lengthy investigation.

"Regula would probably be the first one to say: pray for this man, he needs help, pray for his family."

John Neville agreed that Schule, particularly well known for her work with the poor and imprisoned, will be long remembered not just for the death, but for her decades of work in the community.

"She gave her heart to Labrador."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.3773637

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 12:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay has had two more in the past 8 days. One was on a street in the southside at a known drug house, and the other was two days ago in a compound full of scrapped cars in the north end. In both cases the murderer was caught within 48 hours.

That makes 3 for this month and a total of 8 for the year. We will surely be the murder capital of Canada again for 2016.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...moonias-409992

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...omicide-416751
Wow, 8 murders in a city of 120,000 people? That is impressive.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 11:39 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
Yep. looks like another bad year for Thunder Bay though in 2015 it was Regina (with 8) not Thunder Bay (only 3 in 2015, I believe).
True, we only had three last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Wow, 8 murders in a city of 120,000 people? That is impressive.
We had 11 in 2014. It was the highest per capita homicide rate recorded in a Canadian CMA. Ever.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 12:00 AM

Has Thunder Bays population been declining in the last 5 years? I thought they were about 125 grand.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 2:21 AM
I am a typical

It's been declining for the past 20 years. The city proper had 108,359 as of 2011. Thunder Bay Police Service covers the city and Oliver Paipoonge Township which had 5,732 in 2011, so the total population TBPS polices was 114,091 in 2011 and is likely lower now. The CMA had a population of 121,596 in 2011, while Lappe and Kaministiquia (unincorporated areas directly north of the city) add 1,959 for a total of 123,555 in the immediate area. I'm going to guess, however, that the population drop we saw in 2011 was a result of the flawed methodology of that census and that it will go back up when the 2016 results come out.

Thunder Bay is the main service centre for over 50 remote First Nations, we have about 100 flights to those communities daily so the transient population in the city is very high, probably never less than 1,500 individuals who are only temporarily in the city at any time (for high school education, medial services, legal reasons, visiting family, or buying groceries, etc). During weekdays over the school year, with workers from rural areas coming into the city, people from outlying and fly-in communities in town, and university students from September to April, there is probably over 10,000 additional people in the city that the census doesn't count.

Most of our homicides involve people from remote First Nations, most of whom are in the city because their addiction problem has become uncontrollable so the reserve sent them here for treatment, but due to our lack of rehabilitation facilities (we only have 12 detox beds for the entire district) they can't get the services they need, so most live on the streets or in the bushy parts of the inner city and they frequently get into fights that result in deaths. Most of the recent homicides have been the results of fights between people who knew each other at known drug houses.

There are also a lot of dead bodies found around the city which are considered not suspicious in nature, and those typically involve indigenous people as well. The local police is being investigated over its investigations of these deaths, as the families consider them to be homicides while the police rule them as accidental or suicide, often before a post mortem has been conducted. The most notable of these are the ones involving high school students from the far north.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 2:24 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto is at 52 after a 15 year old boy was stabbed to death in Scarborough.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 2:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa is now at 12.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa is now at 12.
Would be crazy if Ottawa gets more than Montreal by years end. Montreal is at 13 if im not mistaken.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 12:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa may be at 13 after last night.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa may be at 13 after last night.
And 47 total shootings.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:47 PM

CFL player Mylan Hicks shot and killed in the wee hours this morning outside a Calgary nightclub.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:44 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I think that might put Calgary to 19

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And 47 total shootings.
The shooting victim in Ottawa has died so Canada's capital is now at 13.

The highest total in Ottawa in the past 20 years was 16. There are still more than three months left in 2016.

Also the annual record for shootings in Ottawa is close to being beaten and September is not over yet.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:55 AM

I'm curious about Ottawa in relation to Hull/Gatineau. Do you have any numbers for the Quebec side. It would be interesting to see how they relate.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I'm curious about Ottawa in relation to Hull/Gatineau. Do you have any numbers for the Quebec side. It would be interesting to see how they relate.
We're still at zero on this side of the river I am almost positive. (In the city of Gatineau anyway, which has about 90% of the CMA population that is in Quebec.)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:45 PM

Windsor is still at zero, hopefully we can make it to the end of the year and keep it at that!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 6:19 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
CFL player Mylan Hicks shot and killed in the wee hours this morning outside a Calgary nightclub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I think that might put Calgary to 19
Probably more I think. A man who was beaten back in April has succumbed to his injuries now so that qualifies as a homicide. I thought I also heard another man who was beaten and been in a coma for 16 years has died as well so technically that would be a homicide too. The perpetrator for that one has been in jail for some time however.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Would be crazy if Ottawa gets more than Montreal by years end. Montreal is at 13 if im not mistaken.
It is actually crazier than that, Darkoshvilli, the whole province was at 23 at the end of August.

That means that Edmonton will have more murders than all of QC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada