HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:10 PM

The Real Hammertown, Ontario

I moved to Hamilton for school about a year ago and is currently my favourite city in all of Southern Ontario. I've been collecting pictures slowly since then and this is just a brief introduction to the ones I have. I tried to take pictures from more unorthodox locations and of more urban scenes then some of the other photo tours of Hamilton I've seen. I have a huge interest in the more abandoned and derelict parts of the city and my photos might reflect that. But there's no way the intensity of this city can be captured with just words so with no further ado here is my first real thread on SSP:

An abandoned industrial building near Barton and Hess

Weird little shacks in Dundas on the escarpment, there all over the place

Storm drain at the foot of the mountain in Ainslie Woods area

Big up cemetery on Whitney and Main

Downtown skyline over the trees on a cold day. From McMaster Uni

Under a bridge near the Chatham Train Yard. Super stoked on how this one turned out

The Mountain Sanatorium. Built in 1906 this tuberculosis hospital is a real contender for my favourite building in Hamilton. Definitely a great location for any of my urbexing heads out there.

Heres another picture that I'm really happy about how it turned out. Its a close up view of the downtown skyline from york and macnab area, looking southeast.

For this picture i really liked how the train forces you to look at the downtown and I also liked the location that I took this from so I decided to include it in this gallery. Despite this, everytime I look at this picture I feel like the location has alot more potential then I was able to capture. I plan on going back to shoot from here again with a better camera, better weather and maybe from further down the tracks to change the buildings in sight so stay tuned!

This location was fun as all hell to explore and capture. Its Barton/ Ottawa area roughly and my best theory as to the reason for this tunnel was that it used to be dofasco workers walking from the large parking lot nearby to the factory.

Just like the go station, I really need to go back and shoot this again in better conditions. But still I do like how this turned out. I've always loved the look of the blue apartment building on wellington and how distinct it is from the mountain and surrounding areas.

Canon Knitting Mills. Phenomenal abandonment that I'm always looking for a way in to but the intense police presence in the neighbourhood makes me not hold my breath.

Beasley skatepark in the heart of the Beasley neighbourhood. This is an awesome area filled with photo opportunities. If I ever start shooting people, it is going to be this neighbourhood I go to.

Beautiful McMaster University stonework.

A burnt down business in Dundas at the foot of the escarpment. I was sort of just shooting blindly and was pretty stoked at how this picture turned out.

Don't recall exactly where this was taken except that it was just south of Barton and I was looking south. I think it was Queen, Hess, Bay area

The old westinghouse company (correct me if Im wrong) on Longwood.

Lastly, section of burnt down rowhouses at a very busy area in downtown, right at King and Victoria. Luckily I found this place maybe a day or two after the fire so my visit was unhindered by any major boards over windows or security presence. Also the looters had not yet discovered the building which let me grab some really awesome interior shots that I'd love to share if anyones interested.

Thanks for viewing and I hope you had as much fun looking at these places as I did actually interacting with them. Furthermore I want to stress this is just a preview and I have some BIG ideas for pictures of the Hammer that I absolutely cannot wait to capture so keep your eye out!

Last edited by Charlemagne; Jan 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:25 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I hope when you say shooting people you mean photography...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:08 PM

It is an equipment shed for a abandoned electric trolley line that followed the Bruce Trail and the rail trail to Ancaster. Cool pics

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post

It is an equipment shed for a abandoned electric trolley line that followed the Bruce Trail and the rail trail to Ancaster. Cool pics
Oh thats unreal, I think Ive seen old support structures for the track your talking about

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
Oh thats unreal, I think Ive seen old support structures for the track your talking about
Is the giant steam shovel still in the woods below the Sanatorium? I can see the open field below Scenic Drive in google earth where it sat rusting for years. Or the Locomotive and GT caboose on the section of tracks by CanSafe? It saddens me that CanSafe burned down. We used to play in there all the time. Have you discovered the waterfalls by Upper Paradise? Never touch that water it will burn a dogs nose and mouth so.... This time of year the falls freeze and turn all sorts of pretty colors. Hopkins Woods and Hillside both have Groves of Southern Ontario's Oldest trees also.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
Is the giant steam shovel still in the woods below the Sanatorium? I can see the open field below Scenic Drive in google earth where it sat rusting for years. Or the Locomotive and GT caboose on the section of tracks by CanSafe? It saddens me that CanSafe burned down. We used to play in there all the time. Have you discovered the waterfalls by Upper Paradise? Never touch that water it will burn a dogs nose and mouth so.... This time of year the falls freeze and turn all sorts of pretty colors. Hopkins Woods and Hillside both have Groves of Southern Ontario's Oldest trees also.
I don't think I've ever found that field but I'll keep my I out. And where was cansafe? Ill have to find that too haha.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
I don't think I've ever found that field but I'll keep my I out. And where was cansafe? Ill have to find that too haha.
Cansafe was the building that burned down in your photos. It closed down in the 70's and moved operations to Alabama when CN stopped serving the rail spur that is now the Expressway, the Hydro lines, and the Golf Course...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 1:55 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

I've never seen this side of Hamilton before, thanks for a different perspective.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:41 AM

Thanks for that. Keep 'em coming!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 4:14 AM

If you love Hamilton

Check out the facebook page of Vintage Hamilton at https://www.facebook.com/VintageHamilton

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 1:18 PM

Keep the pics coming, you've got a lot of ground to cover if you like urbex and grit

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 9:01 PM

Awesome thanks for the support guys, I have a TON of places and buildings that Im dying to shoot from so keep your eyes out! Currently the bad weather and school work is limiting my chances to take pictures but the weather can only get better and Im looking to get a summer job in the Hammer so if I can make that happen then the pictures will be just flowing in!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 AM

I was there today. Every remnant of the trolley infrastructure has been removed. All the industrial buildings are gone. Turkeys and Deer have certainly rebounded.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 6:04 PM
Gatinois et fier

cool pics!

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos