HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 2:28 AM
So very tired...

Probably. I live three blocks away from cca, and they were going from at least then until just a short while ago. Now I can hear Sam Roberts coming from over there. Is he playing there or is it prerecorded?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 2:47 PM
Big Dog

I live at 182 ave and I remember hearing them from my backyard last summer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:48 AM
Big Dog

Just watching the Indy on TSN.ca (full race video online). There's a certain camera angle above turns 1 and 2 that shows quite a few empty seats which is too bad. Although the announcers said there is a "good crowd", I wonder how this crowd compares to previous races. Did we ever sell out this race back in the Champ Car days?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 6:23 AM
GT Champion

They were saying about 50k on raceday which is a really good crowd for Indy. The A & C grandstands were pretty much full, the B stand was decently full. There were also a lot of people down in the gen admission area. Overall a good day, although the race itself was boooooooring.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Not the greatest show on earth, but a winner in our backyard
Fire in pit lane; Wire-to-wire victory took away some of the excitement

John MacKinnon
Edmonton Journal

Monday, July 27, 2009

Think globally, act regionally. Or something like that.

That's the guiding principle the good people who run the Rexall Edmonton Indy should follow with the open-wheel motor race they have now staged for the second straight year.

In truth, Northlands does seem to be using that phrase as words to live by.

It would be wonderful if the IndyCar race, won wire-to-wire on Sunday by Will Power of the circuit's powerhouse, Team Penske, transformed Edmonton into a must-see destination for sports tourists from across the globe.

In time, the TV exposure might lift the city's profile somewhat.

In reality, the race makes Edmonton a destination for fans from around Alberta, Saskatchewan and B. C., with a smattering of folks from the U. S. Northwest, but not much beyond that.

It's reach is similar to, but broader than that of the Canadian Finals Rodeo. Fans can see the rodeo in a variety of places, after all.

But, if they want to watch the Indy cars race west of Toronto and north of the border, the only place to do it is in Edmonton.

"That's a very good analogy," said Northlands president Ken Knowles. "Our reach is Western Canada, obviously, and the northwest United States."

"As the race itself matures, our fan base could expand," Knowles added.

On that score, the funky and physically demanding City Centre race track is a favourite with drivers, fans and racing experts, for that matter.

For instance, Robin Miller of Speed TV had this to say in a laudatory blog post about the Rexall Edmonton Indy: "The undisputed fact is that Edmonton, not Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto, has become the most popular venue north of the border for American open-wheel racing."

That's high cotton coming from a respected commentator like Miller.

But it doesn't mean Edmonton will become a racing capital like Indianapolis or Daytona any time soon. Or ever, for that matter.

And so what?

Job 1 should be to make the race, compelling as it is to most who attend it, THE place to be for even casual fans from the Edmonton area.

"I think we've still got a lot of work to do on that at this point in time," Knowles said, a hopeful realist about the race.

Ironically, Sunday's race itself let the side down just a little.

Many believe race fans lust for mayhem and crashes the way soccer fans thirst for goals. For those who actually conform to that stereotype, Sunday's race must have been a disappointment.

It was safe and clean except for a single yellow caution flag with two laps to go, the fewest cautions in IndyCar racing history.

Oh, and there was a nasty mishap in the pits involving driver Tony Kanaan, who suffered second-degree burns to his hands and face after his pit crew inadvertently spewed fuel all over his car, igniting it for brief, scary seconds.

The biggest complaint coming from drivers Helio Castroneves, who finished second, and Scott Dixon, the defending champion who finished third, was the same one everyday commuters deal with--annoying traffic on a circuit where passing already is difficult, without having to wend your way through the slowpokes.

"It was one of those races where nothing really happened," said Canadian driver Alex Tagliani, who finished a disappointing 13th on Sunday.

Still, it was a spectacular summer weekend.

Out on the midway, a sharp-eyed fan would have espied the likes of Edmonton Capitals manager Brent Bowers, as well as Eskimos head scout Ed Hervey, who took in the race with former Eskimos teammate Shannon Garrett.

Fine, salt-of-the-earth types every one, but we're not talking A-list celebrities here. Still, you take your cachet where you find it.

Nor is the Edmonton race a magnet for worldwide media. Of about 200 accredited media for the race, only a dozen or so came from anywhere remotely exotic, which is partly a function of tightening travel budgets at most media.

The point is, those who believe this race is going to spearhead an image makeover for Edmonton and light it up on the world map probably are guilty of wishful thinking.

Knowles said it was too soon to know what the bottom line will be for a race that famously took a$5.3 million bath last year.

"It's premature to even speculate on what the walk-up ticket sales were today," Knowles said, adding he believed Northlands has a far better grasp on the expense side of the ledger in its second Indy go-round.

It had better, given the worldwide economic downturn, which Knowles said remained the biggest challenge for organizers this year.

Northlands will sit down in the next week or so and do a debrief on every aspect of this year's event.
© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...ec0c1&sponsor=

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 2:29 PM
Community Guy

crowds were very good with our friday crowd being around what Toronto had for race day...

2 pics

GT race mayhem!!!!

(from canuck dave at straightpipe.ca)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:04 PM
Big Dog

Awesome pics Cold! This track gives a great view of the city. We'd miss that if we ever had to move the race to a different track.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:17 PM
Community Guy

^indeed we would. Honestly guys, from chatting 1st hand with IRL officials, tv guys, random team people... they all love this event, the venue, and the track.

We definitely need to improve the atmosphere downtown and on whyte by putting up more flags/banners and having more temporary party tents/beer gardens but aside from that we truly truly truly put on a great show.

For those who don't know, I marshaled the event (turn #11) and i would guess 50% of the marshals are from out of town with many from out of province and they also all love coming to this event. For us the only issue is a very weak brown bag at lunch.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

for those wanting to know what it is like from a driver's perspective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhbqdrA3Hg

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:27 PM
Community Guy

me blue flagging the NASCC GT race at turn 11

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:51 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ cool

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
For those who don't know, I marshaled the event (turn #11) and i would guess 50% of the marshals are from out of town with many from out of province and they also all love coming to this event. For us the only issue is a very weak brown bag at lunch.
And for all your blue flagging, Andretti still didn't move over! Hope you got a good look at the pass where Dixon went to the outside of Carpenter, and Helio got inside both of them - amazing move.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:21 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Speichert View Post
And for all your blue flagging, Andretti still didn't move over! Hope you got a good look at the pass where Dixon went to the outside of Carpenter, and Helio got inside both of them - amazing move.
both unreal moves.. with helio's topping the day.

...let's just say we had a few driver's ignoring the flags.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Indy may be bad idea, but at least it's our idea
Rev up your Indy spirit; Residents, businesses need to get behind event

Todd Babiak
Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Many of us heard the Indy, as we sat out in our sweltering gardens this weekend, our feet in the kiddie pools, but few of us saw it. This is a terrible shame, as we pay dearly for it.

The reason we pay for it is laudable: to enhance Edmonton's stature around the world as a city that, you know, exists. Buying a series of full-page advertisements in The New Yorker magazine or two 30-second television spots during the Super Bowl costs approximately the same amount as what Edmontonians paid for last year's inaugural Rexall Edmonton Indy: $5.3 million. The advantage of a targeted advertising campaign is that Edmonton would control the audience and the message. Pretty pictures, startling wit, river scenes and fireworks. The advantage of the Indy is that several thousand of us get to watch several cars drive around and around a track, in painfully boring fashion, purchase$18 margaritas and get world-class sunburns.

"The publicity," said Coun. Tony Caterina last week, "you can't even put a price tag on it. The Indy is being seen by countries around the world."

You actually can put a price tag on it. Last year, the event lost$5.3 million and we paid for it. We don't yet know how much the 2009 edition will lose; Northlands had projected $1.5 million.

By "countries around the world," Caterina means the U. S. A. On July 12, ABC broadcast the Toronto Indy on a Sunday afternoon. Every viewing household in America has ABC and, according to Nielsen ratings, about 1.1 million of them tuned in. This is, probably, a success. It's difficult to know what the Toronto Indy says about Toronto, but the word "Toronto" gets out there and that's something.

Last weekend, the Edmonton Indy was broadcast in the U. S. on an obscure cable channel called VERSUS that relatively few people can access. It competed for the American sports fan's viewing eye with replays and highlights from one of the most prestigious and hyped events in the world--the Tour de France. The newspaper of record for the U. S. is the New York Times. On their website, they ran an Associated Press "rundown" of the weekend in racing. The Edmonton Indy was in the second section, under the headline, Kanaan Injured in Pit Fire.

On a racing blog, there were some worrisome comments about the Indy Light series, which was a part of the weekend's events. Few cars entered, which apparently bodes poorly for the future development of open-wheel racing. "WHo the hell wants to go to EDmonton," wrote a minor genius with keyboard troubles called BigIrlFan. "THey got running water there? HAHhahahahaa RUnnin [sic] on an airport out in the middel [sic] of some backwater CANdien[sic] town taht [sic] I never heard of until a couple of years ago."

Yes, BigIrlFan, but you have heard of Edmonton now. Haven't you?And we do have running water, bucko. Lots of it!

Last year, the organizers estimated the Indy had contributed $80 million to the local economy. This is curious, since the defunct Formula One in Montreal, a far larger and much more glamorous event, generated an estimated $75 million.

Ridiculous economic exaggerations aside, there is a lot we can learn--in Edmonton--from the example of Montreal.

During the Formula One weekend, every bar, restaurant and hotel in the city had a tie-in to the race. A special drink, a good rate, Formula One poutine. The entire island was committed to racing, just as it committed to the jazz festival and the comedy festival. While there was always plenty of cynicism from certain locals-- "I always leave the city during Formula One. It's simply madness!"--the majority of Montrealers were proud of the event and happy to welcome the thousands of tourists it attracted.

It wasn't so much Formula One but Montreal during Formula One that drew the attention and the tourists. If Edmonton commits to this idea that we're a city that cares about car racing, the business community will have to commit, too. Then the rest of us, in our way, ought to get into the spirit. It might be a bad idea, but it's our bad idea, and we're paying for it. We might as well enjoy the thing.

If we're doing this because of the international exposure and economic spinoffs, or because it gives us an opportunity to "tell our story," there are far better ways to do it. We've got a lock on the blue-collar, beer-drinking, hollering-in-public reputation, and, frankly, it hasn't done us a lick of good in recent years.

We're a city of suspicion. We have the greatest fringe festival in the world, outside Edinburgh. Every city in North America copied us. Yet outside a seven-block radius of Old Strathcona, it's invisible. In Montreal, or even Calgary, hotels and bars and restaurants from one end of the city to the other would be caught up in the theatrical spirit. Yet when the 28th annual Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival opens Aug. 13, only the "Fringe People" will know it.

Those among us who are not Fringe People will, as usual, avoid the Fringe and the Fringe People, just as the non-Indy People avoided the Indy People on the weekend. We can't force cohesion, but if we want to broadcast our specialness to Saskatoon and Vancouver, let alone New York and Los Angeles, our only hope is to start locally. If we don't think it's special, how can we expect America to think it's special?

© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...fd205&sponsor=

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 2:16 PM
Community Guy

^great article highlighted by this

"If we don't think it's special, how can we expect America to think it's special?"

you might not love INDY but please celebrate summer, patios, beverages, friends, etc.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 3:50 PM

I'm been reading that the IRl has only a couple of years to break even before the plug is pulled. Considering the shambles F1 finds itself in this would be a great opportunity to launch a new open wheel series...use an updated (beautiful) Panoz champcar with a turbo boost allowing the engine to crank out over 900 horse power....now there's a series I would follow

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:15 AM
Big Dog

Regarding Todd Babiak's article, I agree that the city needs to get behind the event(s) more but I disagree that the money is better spent on an add in the New Yorker magazine. We've tried that type of advertising before and it's embarassing.

Great cities don't advertise that they're great. They just are great, and people notice. This is an event that helps people take notice.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:42 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:42 PM
Community Guy

nice comment from Honda on Edmonton

'Jack Spurney (General Manager, Honda Performance Development) on today’s race: “I think all of us at Honda enjoy coming to Canada and working with our friends from Honda Canada. We had beautiful weather here in Edmonton, especially on race day, and a great fan turnout all weekend.'

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton