HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:06 AM

Don't call it `Scarlem'

Well people, while small, it looks like some evidence is coming out here in Toronto that my area of the city, Scarborough is not as bad as it is made out to be. Enjoy this article from The Star.
--------------

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/293999
Don't call it `Scarlem'

Scarborough councillors to debate today if area gets fair shake from city

Jan 15, 2008 04:30 AM
John Spears
city hall bureau

Are they just whiners? Or are folks in Scarborough unfairly deprived and disrespected by their Toronto cousins who live west of Victoria Park Ave.?

It's a topic that vexes Scarborough politicians so much they've decided to debate, at today's community council meeting, whether their community gets a fair shake.

The talking points:

A report commissioned by the council that delves into city statistics to see whether Scarborough gets its fair share of city services.

An invitation to Toronto Life magazine representatives to discuss an article portraying the former city as a bleak, gang-infested "Scarlem."

A frustration that, once again, the city's Winterlicious restaurant promotion has bypassed every eatery in Scarborough.

Councillor Norm Kelly, who chairs Scarborough community council, decided to face the area's stigma head-on following the 2006 elections. During the campaign, Kelly said he found a "widespread and deeply held apprehension" that Scarborough has been shortchanged.

At Kelly's urging, the councillors hired two University of Toronto students to measure whether Scarborough's share of 10 city services is appropriate.

The result: It's hard to tell.

The students concluded that, statistically, Scarborough gets a fair share of children's services, long-term care services, roads and social housing. They could only say it's "uncertain" whether Scarborough's share of hostels, libraries, parks, policing, transit and water service is appropriate.

For example, Scarborough has fewer library branches, but has more books in its library collection than other parts of the city – and Scarborough residents are Toronto's biggest library borrowers.

As for policing, Scarborough has 20 per cent of the city's police officers but 24 per cent of the population. But the students also found that Scarborough has a lower crime rate than the rest of the city, which might explain the lighter policing. (The report is unclear about what yardstick it uses to measure crime.)

Kelly said in an interview that the exercise demonstrates why stereotypes ought to be challenged: "The more they (researchers) got into it, the more all of us realized it was a much more complex issue than most people think it is.

"The facts are, by and large, we are getting our fair share, and we're not Scarlem," Kelly said. "It's safer to live east of Victoria Park than west."
Moreover, he said, fields where the researchers found deficiencies were mainly those that had been controlled by the local Scarborough council prior to amalgamation.

But some councillors say irritants persist. Councillor Michael Thompson noted the city's Winterlicious program has once again left out Scarborough restaurants. Most of the participants in the fine-dining promotion are in the city core.

Thompson, in an interview, laid much of the blame on criteria used by city staff to define who's eligible. To be eligible, restaurants must be rated by two of three specified publications: the Zagat Survey, Patron's Pick and Toronto Life Annual Eating and Drinking Guide. Thompson said restaurants outside the city centre are less likely to be rated.

A city official said 260 restaurants qualified for Winterlicious – with only two in Scarborough, and both declined the invitation.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:09 AM

"Scarlem" not, but "Scarberia" still!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:25 AM

Scarlem? Never heard that one. Since when?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:43 AM

Yes, please call it Scarlem! Harlem is 1000 times better than Scarborough.

If the world made sense, it would be a good thing to be associated with a world-famous and historic neighborhood that has higher property values than almost anywhere in Toronto.

And gangs? LOL. Harlem still has some issues, but it definitely does not have a gang problem. Harlem hasn't been known for organized gangs for decades. My super safe Brooklyn neighborhood has more gangs. Even when Harlem crime was super high in the 70's and 80's, there wasn't much of a gang problem.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
]we're not Scarlem," Kelly said. "It's safer to live east of Victoria Park than west."[/COLOR]
This jerk probably couldn't touch the real estate in Harlem. Stay "safe" in beautiful Scarborough, the Secaucus of Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:46 AM

I think I went to a mall in Secaucus once....

Anyways, its sad the media has become so stupid in our area. They use to be decent folk, but now they are copying the American Local news format.

I actually went to Harlem... I expected a scene out of Taxi Driver, but I was surprised at how decent and good it was.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am curious...why is Scarborough 'good' and Mississauga 'bad'? The two places are both gigantic suburbs of the "centre of the universe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Mississauga should be paying more then $40 million a year, considering they would be nothing but dirt fields without Toronto. Mississauga seems to forget that.
Mississauga is becoming to powerfull for a suburb, and it may be time that it gets annexed to Toronto. Mississauga and Vaughan are nothing but leeches that are pulling this regaion apart, and need to be dealt with.
Besides, I've never heard the term 'Scarlem' (I also enjoyed my visits to Harlem), but I've certainly heard the monikers "Scarberia" (Siberia, as in wasteland) and Sarsborough (SARS outbreak).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Making a blanket statement that Scarborough sucks is just as ridiculous as making a blanket statement that Harlem sucks. Parts of Scarborough are very nice. It's a huge (around 80 square miles) and diverse area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 11:49 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
the Secaucus of Toronto.
Nice comparison, but unlike Secaucus, Scarborough is incredibly diverse, filled with hundreds of high rises, large, culturally relevant, somewhat interesting...and still has the highest homicide rate of any borough in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:17 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Parts of Scarborough are very nice.
Sorry, but its either bland, commonplace suburbia or ugly as sin.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:50 PM

^ I loathe Scarborough, it's like the worst of Los Angeles without the great weather BUT there are very nice residential pockets of Scarborough, in the south and west of the borough. It could actually be Toronto's Williamsburg, if the west end ever got too expensive for artist/hipster habitation.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:43 PM

it'll take many decades before the hipsters are forced to move to Scarborough. The central east end is still mainly untouched. Not to mention the whole of York (which is heaps more urban than Scarborough) and East York (which has its urban-esque moments). If I were a migrating hipster, I'd avoid Scarborough for as long as I possibly could...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:49 PM

You guys are wrong. The hipsters are already moving to Scarborough. Residents from The Beaches have been migrating to South West Scarborough for a couple years now.

It is sad people are so close minded to an area, because it is suburban. Suburbs are not really my cup of tea either. But even I admit Scarborough has some great places, and that it was still a great place to grow up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:00 PM

I'm not talking about aging hippies, Mike. Very few hipsters live in the Beaches.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

I don't think there are really any areas east of the Don that are hip per se. Gentrified and yuppie yes, but not filled with hipsters by any stretch of the imagination.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:32 PM

Who needs hipsters anyway The neighbourhoods in South East Scarborough are populated very families. Not everything has to be hip.

South East Scarborough happens to be pretty urban and was developed in the 1920's. So it is no different then other inner areas of Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:39 PM

The Clintons have an office in Scarborough too?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Making a blanket statement that Scarborough sucks is just as ridiculous as making a blanket statement that Harlem sucks. Parts of Scarborough are very nice. It's a huge (around 80 square miles) and diverse area.
You're right, of course. I just get worked up when ignorant people use wildly out-of-date stereotypes to slander areas.

In the real world Harlem and Scarborough are about as different as one can get, and it's not because one is "good" and one is "bad", but because one is extremely urban and historic and the other is reasonably dense postwar sprawl.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Nice comparison, but unlike Secaucus, Scarborough is incredibly diverse, filled with hundreds of high rises, large, culturally relevant, somewhat interesting...and still has the highest homicide rate of any borough in Toronto.
Actually, I think my comparison was completely on-point. If you know the general Secaucus area (Southern Bergen and Northern Hudson Counties, including Fort Lee, Palisades Park, North Bergen, etc.), it too is incredibly diverse and filled with many highrises and has the general dense postwar sprawl seen in Scarborough.

Along with a few suburbs of Washington, DC, it's certainly the closest equivalent in the United States I'm not sure what you mean by culturally relevant or interesting, and I think most would agree that Scarborough is not exactly what comes to mind regarding either descriptive.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:57 PM

Scarborough happens to have the most diverse population in the Toronto region. While it is in strip malls, there happens to be a large diversity of food, and culture to be found.

Infact, the areas we all love in the inner city happen to be much less diverse then Scarborough.

The inner core of Toronto is something like 75% white. Scarborough is 60% non-white, with hundreds of different cultures.

If the strip malls were actual walking streets, they would probably be huge city wide destinations for experiencing Jamican, Chinese, and other cultures.
Actually even with strip malls, North Scarborough along with Markham has surpassed downtown Chinatown as the place to go for Chinese culture(not that I agree with that, but that is what has happened).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions