HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I have recently re-discovered the Bear and Kilt for good pub food. Always have a good pub night there.

Haha, me too, however we call it "the bear trap" as we usually spend far too much time there and never remember. :s

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:56 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Made a point of going to Pegasus in its new location in Marda Loop on Saturday. I will preface this post by saying that I have long been a fan of Pegasus.

Pegasus in its newest incarnation has taken over the location on 16th St. SW that was once the Alexis Bistro among. It is a smaller location then the previous one at 12th Ave and 14th Street SW. The intimacy of the space is nice and the room has a modern feel about it while still keeping the traditional Greek taverna look. I would say that there are no more that 12 tables.

Service on Saturday night was great. it looked as thought there were 2 servers who were servicing the 12 tables supplemented by 2 bussers/expediters bringing the food out. Of course Takis Papparis the owner of Pegasus makes his rounds to say hello and share a joke.

The menu is virtually the same as at the old restuarant. With a couple notable additions, a Greek style burger and a bison burger. We stuck to the our usual order. Three dips (humous, kopanisti and tzatziki) and order of pita, greek salad and kalamari. As usual the dips were outstanding but we did note that they were slightly smaller than at the other location. The pita at Pegasus is awesome. It's not the type that many are used to from the grocery store (i am sure this throws people off), its greasy goodness that is worth every calorie. The Greek salad was everything your would expect it to be, tasty, fresh and full of Kalamata olives! I contend that Pegasus has some of the BEST kalamari in the city, lightly breaded and tender, never chewy. To prove the point, LittleSoul how has all of 10 teeth was able to chew it easily. The kalamari is my favorite dish there and knowing that they haven't strayed from that made me happy.

Overall, our waiter was awesome and the service and delivery of food was prompt. We arrived at 5:50pm to an empty restaurant and by 6:15 it was packed so I would suggest making resos. We were informed that they have a live Greek band on Tuesdays and Friday nights they do a spit roasted lamb leg. Will certainly go back to review the other menu items.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:03 PM
Here and There

Ok and Angela Menu

This place is amazing.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

There just aren't enough places that serve Churros! With an exclamation mark no less.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:31 PM

I had an interview there when I was looking for a serving job. Ended up cancelling the interview because I found a place that suited me well. I've heard mixed reviews about Ox and Angela. One more trusted opinion was that the sides were amazing, but the mains were just okay.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:02 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Made a point of going to Pegasus in its new location in Marda Loop on Saturday. I will preface this post by saying that I have long been a fan of Pegasus.
Thanks for the review, I'll have to give it a try.
I wonder what is in the Greek burger - lamb?
To be really picky, I think it is located in downtown Altadore, which could be considered in Greater Marda Loop!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:23 AM

I walked by the vacant space (on the east side) next to Wild Wing tonight on 17th and 10a street SW and on the building permit it says it will be a restaurant called 80th and Ivy.

Also, it looked as though part of the space next to Model Milk was having some work done on it this week. Anyone know what is going in there?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

80th and Ivy? I wonder what the reference is there. I know it'll be owned by the folks who own 1410/1600/Classic Jack's and will be some spin on Mediterranean tapas, or so the manager of Wild Wing told me.

Innersoul, the band that plays Pegasus is the Rembetika Hipsters. The bouzouki player is my driver on the 414! Very charismatic guy.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:43 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I FINALLY made it to Bistro 2210 for lunch today. I remember walking by there when it was first purchased by the original 2210 owners (one of whom was Alex Chan; she now runs Itza Bakery) and chatted with them while they were painting. I was happy to see Mortal Coil move out and something smoke free move in. I said I'd stop by ANY DAY NOW and that was, what, 6 years ago... anyway, I wish I hadn't waited so long because lunch (a roasted chicken and bacon sandwich with fantastic fries) was outstanding. Their menu is comfort-food French- steak frites, moules et frites, that sort of thing- reasonably priced in a really handsome room. Highly recommended.

Also recommended, further on the French tip: The folks who run the outstanding La Creperie bakery at CFM have a store, La Boulangerie, in one of the new retail bays next to Wurst- the bay right on 4th. I just got an OJ (big and fresh squeezed for $4.50, which struck me as a very decent bargain) but the pastries looked lovely and the sandwiches and pizelles as well. It's also a very...French, very urbane, setting.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:36 PM

Anyone going to try out "the Big Taste" being put on by the Downtown Calgary business association and a handful of restaurants? looks like a great chance to try lots of different places for a reasonable price.

http://www.downtowncalgary.com/the-big-taste

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:39 PM

I thought this may be a good place to ask where I can get some good Pho in the Beltline? I am moving close to Central Park after a few years of living close to china town, so I am looking to find somewhere within walking distance to get some good Pho. The only place I know of is Oriental Phoenix in Gulf Canada building...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:53 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
I thought this may be a good place to ask where I can get some good Pho in the Beltline? I am moving close to Central Park after a few years of living close to china town, so I am looking to find somewhere within walking distance to get some good Pho. The only place I know of is Oriental Phoenix in Gulf Canada building...
Golden Bell Saigon is good. Is that considered Pho?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:20 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Golden Bell Saigon is good. Is that considered Pho?
I go to Golden Bell, definitely Pho. There is also Lotus on Macleod and 11th. But, I don't know much around the Central Memorial Park area.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:24 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Thanks for the review, I'll have to give it a try.
I wonder what is in the Greek burger - lamb?
To be really picky, I think it is located in downtown Altadore, which could be considered in Greater Marda Loop!
Yeah, pretty sure it's a lamb burger. Downtown Altadore it is....isn't that in the realm of South Calgary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
80th and Ivy? I wonder what the reference is there. I know it'll be owned by the folks who own 1410/1600/Classic Jack's and will be some spin on Mediterranean tapas, or so the manager of Wild Wing told me.

Innersoul, the band that plays Pegasus is the Rembetika Hipsters. The bouzouki player is my driver on the 414! Very charismatic guy.
Rembetika Hipsters! Thats right, they are pretty good. I believe I have seen them once before.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:39 PM
not a NIMBY

The Ship and Anchor is featuring pho for lunch today.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:47 PM

Viet Nam is good, better than the nearby Lotus I find. 12th Ave between 1st and 2nd SE.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I go to Golden Bell, definitely Pho. There is also Lotus on Macleod and 11th. But, I don't know much around the Central Memorial Park area.
I remember there being one in the strip mall at 17th and 5th St years back, might be a bit closer than Macleod due to east/west being longer blocks than north/south.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Viet Nam is good, better than the nearby Lotus I find. 12th Ave between 1st and 2nd SE.
That place has been there for as long as I can remember but never been there (Maybe not the same owners). I can remember as a kid driving down to the dome and thinking that it was so cool that a restaurant was on the second floor!

Thanks for the replies; I will definitely check those places out.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Another new food truck hitting the streets this spring!

Cheezy Bizness

"Gooey Gourmet Grilled Cheese Goodness is hitting the streets of Calgary in Spring 2012! The ultimate comfort food is going mobile!"

Find them on twitter @cheezybiz

I'm pumped for our two new trucks this spring, Naco Truck and this one.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Another new food truck hitting the streets this spring!

Cheezy Bizness

"Gooey Gourmet Grilled Cheese Goodness is hitting the streets of Calgary in Spring 2012! The ultimate comfort food is going mobile!"

Find them on twitter @cheezybiz

I'm pumped for our two new trucks this spring, Naco Truck and this one.
Has the Holy Grill started their truck yet? I know they had a dry run, but I haven't seen them on the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation