HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I love on the news right now, the person they are interviewing saying most people are positive towards the name change, hmmmm, seems to me if you took a poll n this forum and nearly everyone i talked to at work and elsewhere yesterday are against this idea!...
They obviously didn't consult the news1130 poll which had 95% of voters shooting down this lamebrained idea, though I expect the Visionite moles here to begin furiously voting to bring up their 5%

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 12:02 AM

If they (the Feds, with the backing of Hooterville Council) try and push this through, I want to see a video of the riots that ensue.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
i don't know, if people would think this one out clearly, there are merits. holding fast to a history of colonization, to which i'm guessing only a very few of you hold any title, seems to me to be a misplaced loyalty. i mean, consider some of these names and the reasons we have them. in many cases, they were simply lifted from other cities, and in the most egregious cases, they were imposed by cartographers! imagine if canada had a name like "northland" or "british north america", the way we have the "northwest territories", "british columbia", "new brunswick" and "nova scotia". i'm far too young to recall it, but there was literally talk of open revolt when the current canadian flag replaced the red ensign, and now it's probably the one thing on which everyone can agree (aside from the name of canada itself).

and my family is old bc, like so old that several of my landless ancestors went north to the klondike, and i have so many family members across the west here who i know would probably throw up the same reflexively crabby bits of invective and pleonasm, just for something to complain about and out of a general annoyance at any recognition whatever of the aboriginal folks with whom they grew up getting into punch-ups. i recognize that, sure, and it's definitely part of the culture here (so i can get it even if your family history in bc only goes back a generation). but man, think it out on merits, and changing transitioning away from some of these names is a pretty great idea.

we also need another flag, bad.
I'm sorry, but Lord Stanley didn't come here to rape and pillage natives and steal their precious gold.

Just because it's Canadian history from 100 years ago doesn't make it some kind of evil colonialism incident. Vancouver was well on it's way to becoming a city of significance and we were blessed with a visit from the 6th Governor General of Canada. He was an AVID fan of the outdoors and enjoyed the BC natural beauty very much. We named Stanley Park after him during his visit.

It's not a monument to our desecration of a people, it's a monument to our respect of nature, that even white people had back then, and to our desire to preserve some of it in our growing city.

Is this really how we treat Canadian Culture, anything before 1982 was colonialism plundering? Is this how we treat Lord Stanley of Preston? He was a fan of hockey (due to his sons playing it here) and gave us the Stanley cup. He was a fan of nature and the park is named in that honor. He was governor general during a few of our first major national crises. He was GG when MacDonald died in office (and many new states don't survive their founding father dieing) and was a source of stability, and cemented the practice that the GG is a figurehead that doesn't meddle in Canadian Politics when the Parliament and ALL provincial legislatures asked him to stop Quebec from giving money to the Jesuits in the Jesuit Estates Bill.

Ignoring the fact for a second that Stanley Park is an internationally renowned landmark, and a defining symbol of Vancouver (Stanley Park is like a name brand product) and changing the name would cause confusion and diminish our recognition to the international market, but Lord Stanley was an important figure in Canadian history AND culture, and to turn our backs on him to name an entire park after a tiny village is an insult. The park was named in his honor, is that what honors are worth in Canada: squat?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 12:47 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hear hear! Why don't they do the same thing they did for Jack Poole plaza... pick something that doesn't really have a name and give it an honorary name.

How about the Xwayxway causeway, or Xwayxway seawall?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:13 AM

I'm ready to light up the mob torches on this. When will all this leftardism stop?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:20 AM

Couldn't have said it better, BCPhil. Run for mayor

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:26 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

So I guess NHL teams will start competing for the Xwayxway Cup, then?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:27 AM
See ya down under, mates

Rarr let's riot over a park name!

Not that I want a change either (I still can't adapt to Iron Workers Memorial), but the reaction is silly. Just natives trying to raise awareness.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Rarr let's riot over a park name!

Not that I want a change either (I still can't adapt to Iron Workers Memorial), but the reaction is silly. Just natives trying to raise awareness.
People riot for a lot less. If we were in Quebec it would be more than enough justification!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:00 AM

There's already a Facebook page for this: :p

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Citize...5406060?v=info

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:04 AM
BANNED

Set aside a piece of the park to be known as XwayXway and make it a anthropological area. With information kiosks to tell visitors about the history of the area. Frankly I am getting pretty sick and tired of giving up MY heritage as a born and raised Vancouverite, British Columbian and Canadian NATIVE. I am a native to this region too damn it all!!!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:31 AM

Oh my science....what's wrong with this city? Do they not realize that Stanley Park is already a great brand????

Tourism Vancouver likes Xwayxway name for Stanley Park

By JEFF LEE, Vancouver Sun July 2, 2010 5:02 PM

Renaming Stanley Park to Xwayxway Park – or even creating a new double-barrelled name – would expand Vancouver’s appeal around the world, the head of Tourism Vancouver said Friday.

While public reaction to changing the name of the city’s iconic park has been mostly negative, Tourism Vancouver president Rick Antonson said he’s in favour of the idea.

“I think it is a wonderful name, and the opportunity to be a part of taking that name internationally to help introduce it would be just a wonderful, though challenging, opportunity,” he said. “There is nothing to lose by doing this and much to be gained.

“I can see ourselves as Tourism Vancouver as being advocates for this additional name. This will be something quite comfortable to take on to the world stage as part of the Vancouver story.”

The idea to rename or add an aboriginal name to Stanley Park is being promoted by the Squamish First Nation, which noted the park was once the ancestral home to a number of Coast Salish people. Provincial Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger enthusiastically said he would entertain a name change.

The park is owned by the federal government, but has been leased to Vancouver for 99 years. Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson suggested the name Xwayxway (pronounced kwhy-kway) should be considered and that the park could bear both names. But some of his Vancouver council colleagues have cautioned to proceed carefully.

Vision Vancouver Councillor Tim Stephenson said he’s already received a number of e-mails from residents opposed to the idea, although he noted that Queen Charlotte Islands had been renamed Haida Gwaii and Georgia Strait is now the Salish Sea.

“My feeling is that there are a lot of people who hold very strongly to the name Stanley Park and that this is coming really as a surprise. We therefore need to discuss it openly and honestly with aboriginal people,” he said. “I was quite surprised that some said automatically, yes, we should do it.

“For most people it is coming right out of the blue. In the end it may turn out to be something Vancouverites would like to have, to happen for all kinds of historical reasons such as the Salish Sea and Haida Gwaii.”

Geoff Meggs, another Vision Vancouver councillor, said that while he doesn’t oppose the name change, it doesn’t resolve deeper issues around aboriginal reconciliation and title.

“I think a lot of these symbols are easier to do than actually resolving the whole outstanding issue of reconciliation with first nations. I think that is the real challenge in front of us,” he said. “So I am interested in the debate and the fact there can be more than one name is all fine, but the critical issue is the hard one about finding either a treaty settlement or some kind of enduring reconciliation. That’s the real issue in front of us that we are skating around a little bit.”

Kerry Jang, also a Vision Vancouver councillor, sees an opportunity for the park to have dual names.

“As far as I am concerned it’s Stanley Park and will always be known as Stanley Park but I have no problem with it having two names,” he said. “It’s like me having an English name and a Chinese name. I go by both. Chinese media call me my Chinese name (Jang Man Yee, Cantonese, and Zheng Wen Yu, Mandarin) and English media call me by my English name (Kerry Leslie Jang).

“For me, it is an issue of being able to acknowledge the first nations in it. But it will always be known as Stanley Park in the hearts and minds of Vancouverites because that’s the name it has had forever. “

Suzanne Anton, the lone NPA councillor, said she’s not opposed to having a discussion but is also cautious.

“These discussions can be interesting and sometimes fruitful, but I think you have to proceed very cautiously on this one,” she said. “You have to be careful about pushing history aside. Sometimes these names can be changed very readily and nobody cares, but when you have an iconic park you have to be very careful about it.”

Vision Vancouver Councillor Raymond Louie sees the proposal as a way toward resolving aboriginal land claims.

“I think as we move forward we should try to find that opportunity to meld both our history and our present day situation,” he said. “Stanley Park may present some of that, of providing some level of understanding and ultimately hopefully closure and agreement to proceed on with our many disputed lands that aren’t settled yet in British Columbia.

Antonson said he talked to Squamish Chief Ian Campbell Friday to discuss the idea, and liked what he heard from a marketing perspective.

“I think true and honest good would come from this if the undertaking is done with good planning and timing and everybody gives it their best communications skills,” he said. “This isn’t something that is intrusive or presumptuous in any way. This is about doing something that can be seen as just but also brings with it a true recognition of what was and can be in the future.”

jefflee@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Changing world-renowned Stanley Park's name to Xwayxway??! Huh? What's dat? Might as well change New York's Central Park to Seinfeld Park or the Eiffel Tower to Pompidou Tower or the Brandenburg Gate to Schnitzler Gate or...

I do have a reasonable suggestion, however. Under all of the Stanley Park signage why not add: "Salish Name - Xwayxway". As a history buff, I would certainly appreciate that information and the Salish People's would also be recognized. Now there's a reasonable ground for compromise.
This is pretty much what they are talking about.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1626970/
HTML Code:
Xwayxway would not replace Stanley Park. Rather, the park would gain a second name.
Everybody might want to do just a bit of research next time before overreacting. It is not that difficult. There is this new-fangled Internetty thing that Al Gore invented.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:35 AM

^ Research? We did research.

This news first broke yesterday, and all the articles said the park would be "renamed". Even that Globe article title, written today, misinforms people..."Calls made for Vancouver’s Stanley Park to be renamed".

I don't trust those in the higher authority, that this will simply be a second name for STANLEY PARK.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:38 AM

I think the people who claim the park was EVER called that at any point in history should do a little research.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:09 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Plus, the real question is what do you think this actually solves? As far as I can see this doesn't do but bring back the tension between westerized culture and first nations culture. A lot of people already see native rights as a huge issue of creating a second set of more lenient rules to make up for the sins of people long dead. Placing a name on a place as important Stanley park, which bears no real meaning to 95% of vancouverites is pretty much akin to saying that this history which is relevant to this small group is more important than the recent history of this city which was made up during the last couple of generations; getting back to the issue of this country not actually work in a reasonably equal way.

How could someone think this kind of crap politics would do anything but make people feel more stratafied?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:10 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

One objection I have is that "Xwayxway" is a word people will not know how to pronounce; at first glance I thought it would be "zwayzway", but it's actually "kwhykway". The park is world famous so changing it would be like changing Central Park in NYC. Here's a suggestion; if they are going to change it, make it something like "Stanley Park at Xwayxway", or as the more recent article suggests, have it appear as a billingual name using both, or just use the aboriginal name somehow within the park for the location of the original village, and maybe even recreate the actual village.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:15 AM

Honestly, even if they make this request into something remotely reasonable, it should still be shot down. Those 'first nations' groups have a long history of 'give an inch take a mile', this is only just the beginning. If their request is granted, who knows what idiocy they'll want next.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:20 AM

well british columbia would be the next name change

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:30 AM

I'm not sure if First Nation's idea of the renaming Stanley Park is as ridiculous as some of the extremely angry and hostile reactions to the idea that I see in this thread, or the broad generalizations being made about First Nations people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion