HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:03 AM

People from Vancouver seem to need constant re-assurance, and reminders, that even non-third World people hold Vancouver up on a pedestal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 9:30 AM

One thing that is quite noticeable from the videos (and personal observation), is that there is a conspicuous lack of business people in the average pedestrian demographic. Where are they? I know, I know, they blend in because so many people dress casually to work. But really, even taking that into account... there must be a big contingent of people that dress very BADLY to work. No way I could bring myself to wear with such carelessness and disregard for a professional environment.

It really does lead one to believe that the downtown has no real business core. Yes, it's bustlins with of tourists, shoppers, ESL/post-secondary students, residents, food vendors, couriers, delivery people, buskers, bums, etc. But no business people.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 AM
FUS RO DAH!

business people are inside offices.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
One thing that is quite noticeable from the videos (and personal observation), is that there is a conspicuous lack of business people in the average pedestrian demographic. Where are they? I know, I know, they blend in because so many people dress casually to work. But really, even taking that into account... there must be a big contingent of people that dress very BADLY to work. No way I could bring myself to wear with such carelessness and disregard for a professional environment.

It really does lead one to believe that the downtown has no real business core. Yes, it's bustlins with of tourists, shoppers, ESL/post-secondary students, residents, food vendors, couriers, delivery people, buskers, bums, etc. But no business people.
What? Walk along Burrard street during lunch hour or W Hastings, you will see thousands of people in suits. Granville street is part of the enterainment district, not the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 9:53 PM

business is mostly north on burrard and always full of "business" people that bentall underground mall is where they all hide out

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 2:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That is not inevitable. It all depends on whether the city insists on maintaining those policies and regulations which stifle lively and creative expressions of fun, entertainment and culture in this city.

And for the record, the restrictions on Vancouver's freedom to have fun are not maintained by a cabal of religious prudes at City Hall. It is the "secular" left which has dominated city politics since the early seventies and is responsible for maintaining the current suffocating regulations on entertainment and fun.
i agree to a point but having been here for close to 20 years and having lived all over the world its getting better.

Other than muted nightlife (in the bar club live music type way) vancouver is a great place to live, but yes, as a young person it is boring, but the bar scene for the most part is like 20 - 30, which hardly defines an entire city

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 2:24 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=cornholio;5003014]Its not getting there, infact its probably getting farther.

rubbish, utter rubbish - i remember what the city was like in 1991, tumble weeds and no food - no beer and very few places to go

many on city council are aware of the bylaws and attitudes that are stiffling the city's ability to evolve and their are movements underway to address them:

http://www.westender.com/articles/entry/arts-venues/

Last edited by delboy; Oct 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:27 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post

Its just that all the business folks are mostly visible at work hours, after that, they're gone, and lots of them drive to work still.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:29 PM

looks like he stumbled across Reese Witherspoon's movie

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=delboy;5007177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Its not getting there, infact its probably getting farther.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post

rubbish, utter rubbish - i remember what the city was like in 1991, tumble weeds and no food - no beer and very few places to go

many on city council are aware of the bylaws and attitudes that are stiffling the city's ability to evolve and their are movements underway to address them:

http://www.westender.com/articles/entry/arts-venues/

Interesting link. Thanks for posting that. I like to think we're shedding our ultra-provincial, "giant logging town" image, and becoming as fast-paced, cosmopolitan, and interesting as the rest of them.

(without the need of billion dollar mega-projects to do it. That money could be used better in addressing the needs of the poor, the homeless, and the abused .....)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:51 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion