HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:53 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Will not happen, Nash is still too small and has 0 transit, Atlanta makes and made more sense than most of the cities on the original second list. I love Nash though, dont jump on me...
I agree that it wouldn't be a good fit for all or even most of the 25K jobs that were intended to go to NYC, but surely we could absorb enough that it would result in a couple taller towers! My fingers are crossed!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:22 AM

According to pressers, Virginia, Tennessee will get the bulk of what does not go to NY. CA, OR, TX, WA and GA will get some of them.

The Atlanta proposal was never taken seriously, as Amazon did not see that city's culture as the 'right fit' for their company.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
According to pressers, Virginia, Tennessee will get the bulk of what does not go to NY. CA, OR, TX, WA and GA will get some of them.

The Atlanta proposal was never taken seriously, as Amazon did not see that city's culture as the 'right fit' for their company.
Are you fucking serious? Where, please show me that ATL "culture" was not taken seriously? LMAO...Nashville until about 10 years ago was still a hicktown,,, and still is in many facets..Please...We are talking a 1.7 million metro compared to a 7 million metro...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:07 AM

Sister in law works for Amazon. She consulted on the search selection. They liked a lot of things about ATL but didn't see a fit. Too freeway-oriented and spread out. Too glitzy and somewhat artificial. Too poorly laid out. They did like MARTA but thought it was very limited. They liked the film industry but thought it too didn't really reflect the creative but the production side of the industry. They did not like the downtown as much as about a dozen other downtowns. They did like midtown but did not like the lack of circulation of traffic. They liked Piedmont park but not the overall lack of pocket parks. They also did not like the city government. I recall hearing 'air of corruption'.

Sorry, just telling you what I heard. And Atlanta is NOT a metro of 7 million... maybe if you go all the way out to Rome... or Athens. But nope. And hence, that's probably what they didn't like about it. You have to capture a lot of area to catch those alleged 7 million.

And maybe it was that notion that Nashville was a "hicktown" that actually surprised them when they did their site visit.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:10 AM
Future God

Quote:
Are you fucking serious? Where, please show me that ATL "culture" was not taken seriously? LMAO...Nashville until about 10 years ago was still a hicktown,,, and still is in many facets..Please...We are talking a 1.7 million metro compared to a 7 million metro...
Aaaaaand there it is. You just couldn't help yourself, could you? You were only able to play nice for a half second, apparently. So easily triggered and insecure about their city, so many of you Atlantans are. When another southern city receives the spotlight, even if it's only for a moment, it grates at your soul and makes you want to lash out. It's quite pathetic.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Aaaaaand there it is. You just couldn't help yourself, could you? You were only able to play nice for a half second, apparently. So easily triggered and insecure about their city, so many of you Atlantans are. When another southern city receives the spotlight, even if it's only for a moment, it grates at your soul and makes you want to lash out. It's quite pathetic.
I thought I might smoke him out. But "them's the facts" I heard from a very reliable source. Too many Atlantans don't really realize that their city wears thin pretty quickly to a lot of people from bigger, more cosmopolitan cities. What's the city's population... about 500K? Seattle packs far more than that in half the area. One of their key points was desirability of young adults to live there, and this young generation don't care for Atlanta as much as other places with vibrant downtowns. They don't even buy cars, for crying out loud. For a newbie, fresh out of college, a coder or jr. manager would need to live way the hell out in Kennesaw or Lawrenceville. When I lived in Atlanta in the early/mid 90s, Buckhead was THE PLACE to go. But then it started to become 'shoot-em-up central' and too hard to get to for people who didn't live in B'head. Midtown took some of that but the people who live there are NOT the same people who used to go to the bars at East Paces Ferry & P'tree and Roswell Rd. Those people are the ones Amazon is looking to hire, and face it, Atlanta's downtown can't hold a candle to Nashville's "hicktown" vibe.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Dude, I said the proposal wasn't taken seriously. The city was seriously considered. It just doesn't have the vibe they're looking for. But chillax, Atlanta has a lot going for it despite that, and it appears Amazon will put some more jobs there. But things are different these days. Charlotte has taken your big bank and Nashville has taken what should have been your downtown. It happens all the time, the upstarts rise to compete with the longtime big dog. It's all good. There's enough to share. You still have a helluva airport. But I sure do like to avoid it everytime I can.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:27 AM
Future God

Quote:
I thought I might smoke him out. But "them's the facts" I heard from a very reliable source. Too many Atlantans don't really realize that their city wears thin pretty quickly to a lot of people from bigger, more cosmopolitan cities. What's the city's population... about 500K? Seattle packs far more than that in half the area. One of their key points was desirability of young adults to live there, and this young generation don't care for Atlanta as much as other places with vibrant downtowns. They don't even buy cars, for crying out loud. For a newbie, fresh out of college, a coder or jr. manager would need to live way the hell out in Kennesaw or Lawrenceville. When I lived in Atlanta in the early/mid 90s, Buckhead was THE PLACE to go. But then it started to become 'shoot-em-up central' and too hard to get to for people who didn't live in B'head. Midtown took some of that but the people who live there are NOT the same people who used to go to the bars at East Paces Ferry & P'tree and Roswell Rd. Those people are the ones Amazon is looking to hire, and face it, Atlanta's downtown can't hold a candle to Nashville's "hicktown" vibe.
Agreed for the most part. I think it's important to note too that I don't think you, or I, or any other Nashvillian is under any illusion that our city doesn't have a laundry list of our own flaws we need to work on, too. The difference, though, between us and most Atlantans I've met is that we are actually aware of our faults and have no problem admitting to them. Atlantans seem to want... need?... to be told constantly that their city is THE CHOSEN ONE and any indication to the contrary, no matter how subtle or realistic, will get you the wrath, as it were, as you just received. It's quite a bizarre thing to witness.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:32 AM

True. But acknowledging your (or your city's) faults is part of what builds the charm of someone/someplace. I'm a transplant from a city far more cosmopolitan than Atlantans think of their city. There are great areas of Atlanta. But there's also a fakeness that we see a bit in Texas, but really just in Plano. Frisco has a little bit more of it, but even Frisco don't think they're 'all that'. In many ways, Nashville takes it queues from Dallas, more than any other SOuthern city. Some may call it "hicktown". Be that as it may, it's also not "thugtown" either. Last time I was at Perimeter Mall (years ago) some teenagers were shouting at each other and pushing each other. A girl was pushed into me. She looked at me with utter disdain and shouted "get out of my space!" I said, don't worry and walked the other way... out of there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:39 AM
Future God

Quote:
True. But acknowledging your (or your city's) faults is part of what builds the charm of someone/someplace. I'm a transplant from a city far more cosmopolitan than Atlantans think of their city. There are great areas of Atlanta. But there's also a fakeness that we see a bit in Texas, but really just in Plano. Frisco has a little bit more of it, but even Frisco don't think they're 'all that'. In many ways, Nashville takes it queues from Dallas, more than any other SOuthern city. Some may call it "hicktown". Be that as it may, it's also not "thugtown" either. Last time I was at Perimeter Mall (years ago) some teenagers were shouting at each other and pushing each other. A girl was pushed into me. She looked at me with utter disdain and shouted "get out of my space!" I said, don't worry and walked the other way... out of there.
Right, there are bad things about Atlanta and great things about Atlanta, and the same could be said for any city, I think. But as you alluded to, I think when locals are realistic and honest about their city's shortcomings I think it helps to lend a sense of comfortable authenticity to a place, which is part of what makes Nashville attractive to many people, in my opinion, as opposed to some of the places you mentioned (Orange County, CA is another one,) which sometimes feel like you're just stuck in a never-ending episode of "Real Housewives." lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I saw he posted and only clicked through to see if he was complaining about slow construction again. Hopefully he gets banned; he sends out harassing messages if you get on his bad side. Certainly not a good luck for Atlanta and, frankly, his behavior is embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:21 AM
Nashville born and raised

Amazon is here to stay and intends to grow with Nashville and not ahead of it. It will be a force in Nashville and Nashville will become one of several primary administrative locations in the Amazon conglomerate.

Amazon has said they want to work with the city in helping to address transportation and housing problems. Thus, I would suspect a more measured attempt at getting light rail or a trolley would be coming after the next Mayorial election.

A trolley system using Commerce Street downtown and heading west over the RR and I-40 to the former Tennessean site was proposed in an early submittal for the full HQ2. Maybe that proposal is not dead.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Nashville is anything but a hicktown and it can easily be argued that Atlanta is a hicktown compared to global cities so perhaps consider a little perspective. Atlanta is beautiful city but I'm not the biggest fan and would choose Dallas over Atlanta any day.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

Outsider here...

Why are these two cities even being compared? Nashville is "hot" right now because its growing so fast and adding a lot to its urban fabric.

Atlanta is still "hot" because of its massive size and its also increasing its urban fabric.

Both, considering they are in the South, are doing quite well. I would move to either city. I would have to consider the pros and cons, and they both have em, of course, but I honestly would have to do a lot of research into them to come to some mathematical equation on which one was better and then I would still have to consider the 'feel' of each city. And they most certainly 'feel' differently.

In short, come ooooonnnnn! Peace folks!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Outsider here...

Why are these two cities even being compared?
This was pretty much what I was alluding to in my post before yours. Depending on how you want to define a "hicktown," you could say that a about a lot of cities. We might as well compare Atlanta to NYC.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:33 PM

I think Amazon will consider Nashville and quite honestly I think Atlanta will be looked at again. The only location I think Amazon will not consider as an option is the site they chose in Northern Virginia. the reason why it works for them now is because they already have a glut of empty office space in the Crystal City area of Arlington, VA due to the DOD's effort to consolidate offices elsewhere. That left some office buildings practically empty. So, amazon will be remodeling those buildings to fit their needs. However, Amazon's 25K jobs will be far greater than the number of jobs that were lost in Crystal City due to the DOD consolidation. The area is already trying to figure out how it will handle 25K jobs. it's an area that is fed by one major road and the Metro rail system. But, with the Pentagon just a 1/2 mile away and a really tight street overlay in the area, it's going to be a challenge dealing with the traffic and the metro system. So for that reason I don't think the DC area will be on the table again.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:37 PM
Nashville born and raised

There is so much going on in Nashville right now, some projects tend to be overlooked. One of these is the construction of Live at Nashville Yards where AEG is building an entertainment district that will certainly impact the City's cultural and tourism scene.

New renderings have been discovered on this... (Ivers Design) ….web site giving a lot of detail on how the various facilities will look.

Add that to the two Amazon Towers and Grand Hyatt hotel and you have an amazing project. I can't wait to see more details about the rest of the billion dollar development.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Feb 18, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:34 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
But there's also a fakeness that we see a bit in Texas, but really just in Plano. Frisco has a little bit more of it, but even Frisco don't think they're 'all that'. In many ways, Nashville takes it queues from Dallas, more than any other SOuthern city. Some may call it "hicktown". Be that as it may, it's also not "thugtown" either. Last time I was at Perimeter Mall (years ago) some teenagers were shouting at each other and pushing each other. A girl was pushed into me. She looked at me with utter disdain and shouted "get out of my space!" I said, don't worry and walked the other way... out of there.
I don't know if I'd agree with your assessment. The Dallas side of DFW is full of fake and pretentious people (not everyone - but, there are a significant number of them). Heck, the rest of Texas calls Dallas "L.A. Light." Plano and Frisco are textbook Any-town U.S.A.'s. The Ft. Worth side of DFW is home to more "true" people. Those from FTW are not very fond of those from DAL. And those from DAL typically look down on those "hicks" from FTW.

Also, I definitely would not be "taking my queues" from Dallas. I'd look to be taking them from cities like Austin, Portland, OR and/or Denver (just to name a few). Definitely not Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
There is so much going on in Nashville right now, some projects tend to be overlooked. One of these is the construction of Live at Nashville Yards where AEG is building an entertainment district that will certainly impact the City's cultural and tourism scene.

New renderings have been discovered on this... (Ivers Design) ….web site giving a lot of detail on how the various facilities will look.

Add that to the two Amazon Towers and Grand Hyatt hotel and you have an amazing project. I can't wait to see more details about the rest of the billion dollar development.

They say they have an option for an additional 1.5 acres located somewhere in the vicinity of the Nashville Yards development.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Will not happen, Nash is still too small and has 0 transit, Atlanta makes and made more sense than most of the cities on the original second list. I love Nash though, dont jump on me...

If a person is making six figures they don't care about traaaaaansit. They don't want to take public transportation. They don't have the fetish. They prefer the freedom of their own personal vehicles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations