HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:47 PM

Yes, the ground sloped down as you walked toward the West. As I recall you could enter the plaza as regular sidewalk level from Church Street but if you turned west down Vesey Street toward West Street , you would soon find yourself at a level below the plaza. At that point you would need to go up a staircase ( as shown in previous illustration ) to get back to plaza level.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Only the North Tower (1 WTC) had a direct connection to the hotel, but like spidey said the connection was on the mall concourse level, underneath the plaza. You could access the South Tower via the North Tower and the mall.
Here is a map of the concourse level showing the connection.

Here is a simpler map with green arrows showing the entry points for the buildings on the concourse level.
That's weird that the North Tower was the only one that had a direct connection to the hotel. I expected that there would've also been a direct connection to the South Tower too, since (like the mall) the hotel would've also connected the North Tower and South Tower's lobbies together if the hotel also had a direct connection to the South Tower's lobby like it did with the North Tower's lobby.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTC Twin Towers View Post
That's weird that the North Tower was the only one that had a direct connection to the hotel. I expected that there would've also been a direct connection to the South Tower too, since (like the mall) the hotel would've also connected the North Tower and South Tower's lobbies together if the hotel also had a direct connection to the South Tower's lobby like it did with the North Tower's lobby.
I think there was. I was obsessed with the Twin Towers as a kid; models, drawings and all sorts of WTC related shit (still have them all) and I do remember entrances on the street level between 2WTC (the one with the observatory) and the hotel. It may have been open air passage way but you could access one from the other directly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think there was. I was obsessed with the Twin Towers as a kid; models, drawings and all sorts of WTC related shit (still have them all) and I do remember entrances on the street level between 2WTC (the one with the observatory) and the hotel. It may have been open air passage way but you could access one from the other directly.
An "open air passage way"? Do you mean how the hotel had a entrance on its south side like how the South Tower also had a entrance on its south side? Both the hotel and South Tower had entrances on their south side. So the South Tower and hotel had entrances close to each other, but they didn't a connection to each other at all.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
An "open air passage way"? Do you mean how the hotel had a entrance on its south side like how the South Tower also had a entrance on its south side? Both the hotel and South Tower had entrances on their south side. So the South Tower and hotel had entrances close to each other, but they didn't a connection to each other at all.
You walked out the door of one building towards the facing door of the other one.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
The connection was underground, beneath the plaza. I'm pretty sure the entire complex was connected.
I don't think 7 World Trade Center was connected to the complex.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:12 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
I don't think 7 World Trade Center was connected to the complex.
7 WTC was connected to the rest of the WTC complex via a set of bridges over Vesey St.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:05 PM

Does anyone ever wonder why there was a platform-like thing on the west side of the North Tower? I personally wonder why.

There's a photo to show what I'm talking:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j1WCY4T_2...pic11-full.jpg
The photo is from the website: "StevenWarRan"

Last edited by WTC Twin Towers; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:16 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Does anyone ever wonder why there was a platform-like thing on the west side of the North Tower? I personally wonder why.

There's a photo to show what I'm talking:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j1WCY4T_2...pic11-full.jpg
The photo is from the website: "StevenWarRan"
It isn't a platform, it's a canopy over the North Tower's street entrance. Unlike the South Tower, the North Tower had a driveway, so they added the glass canopy so people getting out of their cars there could stay dry when it rained.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
It isn't a platform, it's a canopy over the North Tower's street entrance. Unlike the South Tower, the North Tower had a driveway, so they added the glass canopy so people getting out of their cars there could stay dry when it rained.

Holy cow, you know a lot about the original World Trade Center complex.

I just have one more question. Did the original 3 World Trade Center have 22 stories or did it actually have 24 stories?

According to this Emporis page (https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...rk-city-ny-usa), it says 3 World Trade Center actually had 24 stories.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:45 PM
Basket Case

Emporis is wrong. Even the hotel's official website lists it as having 22 floors.

And thank you. The former World Trade Center is of great interest to me. I learned a lot about its layout and how it all fit together building a model of it in an online 3D world program called Virtual Paradise.

Last edited by OptimumPx; May 4, 2018 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
The connection was underground, beneath the plaza. I'm pretty sure the entire complex was connected.
It was. There was a large shopping mall underneath all the buildings.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
North Tower and Vista Hotel stood side-by-side to each other. Walking along the east face of the hotel, one would see the west face of South Tower (iow, southeast corner of the hotel was across from northwest of South Tower), so, no, there wouldn't have been a connection there.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
6 World Trade Center had 8 total floors, starting at the street level.

The problem is that the actual visible building has only 7 visible floors starting at the Plaza Level, but there is an additional lower level on the Concourse Level. While this section is at the same level as the Mall at the World Trade Center, it isn't actually connected to the mall in any way, and instead originally had a direct entrance/exit on Vesey St., as can be seen in these images:

You can see the seven upper floors, and the lower street level doors of 6 WTC.
Actually according to this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJDC_jLeFo), 6 WTC's lobby may've been connected to the North Tower's lobby since there is a room connected to the North Tower that lead to a staircase and 2 escalators that lead to the second floor of 6 WTC.

Last edited by WTC Twin Towers; Sep 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
7 WTC was connected to the rest of the WTC complex via a set of bridges over Vesey St.

You know, I never really saw how Building 7 was actually a part of the original World Trade Center complex, since it was not originally planned and it wasn't connected to the concourse area in any type of way like how all the other buildings in the complex were. It never made sense to me to why Building 7 was considered a part of the complex when clearly it wasn't.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:35 PM

I wonder why only the North Tower had two little bridges connecting it to the plaza levels of the U.S. Customs House (6 WTC) and the Vista/Marriott Hotel (3 WTC), while the South Tower didn't have any little bridges connecting it to the plaza levels of the Vista/Marriot Hotel and 4 WTC.

At 3:13 in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJDC_jLeFo, you can see one of the bridges.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:51 PM

The original 3 WTC (the hotel) originally had a different design before it was built.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3447164...th/7914742406/

Now here's what the final design of the hotel looked like (no L Shape at the south end): http://johnii2.tripod.com/wtc4.htm

By the looks of these early concepts of the hotel, it looks like there was originally going to be a L shape at the end of the hotel, but they decided not to use the L shape for the final design. I wonder why they didn't use the L shape design. While I prefer the final design of the hotel to the old one, I wonder why they changed the shape of it. I'm talking about how the south end of the original hotel having a small L shape at the end of it. In the final design, they got rid of that for unknown reasons. I think having the L shape at the end of the hotel would've made it look better being between the Twin Towers.

Here's a 3D model of what the Twin Towers would look like if the final design of the hotel was L shaped:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...rade-Center-20

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 1:08 AM

The original WTC in todays skyline.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 2:42 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well that was rather disturbing. and the music didn’t help. sheesh.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 5:28 PM

World Trade Center 3D

WTC modeled & rendered in Cinema4D (v11.5):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPGLfS9hhYs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture