HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 12:36 PM

These diagrams are a little worrying, should they not correspond with this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Seems to me that the Nordel Way Interchange is going to be redesigned... One would think that these projects would be somewhat linked up together. Also would be nice to have an update on this project. The feds and the port are both paying major shares, you think it would have a website somewhere, or at least another update (this announcement was way back in March).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
These diagrams are a little worrying, should they not correspond with this project?

Seems to me that the Nordel Way Interchange is going to be redesigned... One would think that these projects would be somewhat linked up together. Also would be nice to have an update on this project. The feds and the port are both paying major shares, you think it would have a website somewhere, or at least another update (this announcement was way back in March).
The bog though... :o

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:45 PM

they realised that SB needed an add/drop, but NB really does also

(72nd --> 91 NB should be three lanes until the Nordel Exit)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:37 AM

Driving on the Alex Fraser today with all the commuters and big trucks I shudder to think what that bridge is going to be like once that extra lane gets put in. The lanes currently are somewhat narrow and once that extra lane gets put in this bridge is going to be like the Pattullo. It's going to be brutal.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Driving on the Alex Fraser today with all the commuters and big trucks I shudder to think what that bridge is going to be like once that extra lane gets put in. The lanes currently are somewhat narrow and once that extra lane gets put in this bridge is going to be like the Pattullo. It's going to be brutal.
narrow? the lanes aren't narrow... they are 3.70m which is the freeway standard for the USA and Canada.

the Lions Gate Bridge lanes are 3.60m which means the new Alex Fraser Bridge lane widths of 3.55m wont be all that different.

the only thing that will be tighter is that there wont be anymore shoulders. personally, though, i cant say i have ever had a problem with the AFB. it was always wide open feeling to me. i would advise you to avoid the Massey Tunnel if you think the AFB is tight. those lanes are narrow, with no shoulders, and you're boxed in.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:08 AM

I was about to say the same thing, they are standard freeway width currently.

That said I do not like this project. Would have been great if the GMB proceeded and this project was canned. It is a bandaid style solution that makes a decent piece of infrastructure messy.

As for the interchanges, still waiting to see some more info regarding the Sunbury interchange project (which seemed to involve a complete rebuild of the Nordel Way / 91 Interchange as well) that we have only heard a public announcement from once n the last year, despite having the federal government and port funding the majority of the project.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:28 PM

Too bad they're reducing the speed limit to 70 km/h which I think people won't follow. The Ironworkers Memorial Bridge is also 70 km/h, how wide are those lanes?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Too bad they're reducing the speed limit to 70 km/h which I think people won't follow.
Going to be a cashcow for the popo.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:07 AM

It would be nice if they redesigned the Cliveden and 91 interchange. Consolidate the on ramps and off ramps. Close the stupid loops from Cliveden to 91 both sides and just have traffic turn left onto 91 to the remaining on ramps. The extra merges definitely contribute to traffic as cars try to merge on to the freeway.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
It would be nice if they redesigned the Cliveden and 91 interchange. Consolidate the on ramps and off ramps. Close the stupid loops from Cliveden to 91 both sides and just have traffic turn left onto 91 to the remaining on ramps. The extra merges definitely contribute to traffic as cars try to merge on to the freeway.
Also, adding an extra lane is not a cure-all. It may actually worsen the stop and go congestion because the issue is not entirely capacity, it's that people coming from Annacis are going to cut across five lanes of traffic to get to the counterflow.

It's exactly the same at the tunnel. A lot of the congestion is not actually at the southbound entrance at Steveston, it's at the counterflow entrance, because people are cutting across three lanes to get from the HOV into the counterflow.

People working for the ministry should be forced to drive these routes at rush hour to understand what is happening. Without lane management (e.g. limiting weaving, restricting trucks to outside lanes) this is lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:49 PM

Has construction on the counterflow begun? I drove over the AFB recently and the center barriers on the southern ramp look like they've been shifted, and there's some preload sand next to the Nordel exit lanes.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Has construction on the counterflow begun? I drove over the AFB recently and the center barriers on the southern ramp look like they've been shifted, and there's some preload sand next to the Nordel exit lanes.
yes it has. shocked the ndp didn't cancel that.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:27 AM

Quote:
yes it has. shocked the ndp didn't cancel that.
Well, considering the George Massey Bridge is pretty much cancelled, you could say the counterflow lane is the carrot of "improvement" for the folks south of the Fraser.

The bigger question is are the interchange improvements for Nordel & 17 / Sunbury Interchange still going ahead?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Well, considering the George Massey Bridge is pretty much cancelled, you could say the counterflow lane is the carrot of "improvement" for the folks south of the Fraser.

The bigger question is are the interchange improvements for Nordel & 17 / Sunbury Interchange still going ahead?
We just had a big discussion about that on the Vancouver Roads thread.

Good news is it is going ahead. You can find more info on that thread.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What about work on the 91 @ 72nd Avenue interchange then? Is that still happening?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
What about work on the 91 @ 72nd Avenue interchange then? Is that still happening?
Dude, that is what this thread is about. Construction will be completed this year. Just go a page or two back and you can see the construction photos.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
We just had a big discussion about that on the Vancouver Roads thread.

Good news is it is going ahead. You can find more info on that thread.
Great News! Sorry, I'm not spending much time on this forum anymore -- I might have found that on my own in my "construction obsession" days of past. I'll have a look at the thread now.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:25 PM

Recently I sent an email to the ministry regarding if the 91 Connector and Nordel Way intersection is gonna be a full interchange once they start those projects. Just like with my Highway 17 and truck park inquiry they responded. Here's the body of the email response.

Hello Filip,

Thank you for your question and for your interest in the Highway 91/17 and Deltaport Way Upgrade Project (the Project).

A key objective of the Project is to improve safety, travel time and reliability through Delta. The Highway 91 Connector/Nordel Way intersection upgrades will eliminate the existing signalized intersection along the Highway 91 Connector, and replace it with a grade-separated interchange to improve highway safety and efficiency.

If you're travelling within Sunbury, the signal by the Nordel Way Commercial Vehicle Inspection Station will remain.

If you have any additional questions or would like to sign up to receive email updates about the Project, please let us know.

Thank you, ?

Alysha

Highway 91/17 and Deltaport Way Upgrade Project Team

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:40 PM

http://fraservalleynewsnetwork.com/2...rack-for-2018/

"As part of this Phase 1 capacity-improvement work, the ministry will also be installing a traffic signal and lighting at the existing northbound Nordel on-ramp intersection, and will rebuild a portion of Highway 91 southbound to the Nordel westbound off-ramp."

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 7:01 PM

Oh jeez another damn light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure