HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:32 AM

Highway 91 / 72nd Ave. Interchange | Completed

What is going on with this??? No news since 2013...
I suppose in the theme of the recent FOI request for the George Massey Tunnel... a similar one for this project may turn up 'NO RECORDS' as well?

Anyone in the know? It sure would be good to have this project COMPLETE before the major disruptions from the H99 project begin.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
What is going on with this??? No news since 2013...
I suppose in the theme of the recent FOI request for the George Massey Tunnel... a similar one for this project may turn up 'NO RECORDS' as well?

Anyone in the know? It sure would be good to have this project COMPLETE before the major disruptions from the H99 project begin.
They're still attempting to come up with a GMT business case to justify the political election announcement... versus the Broadway extension of the Millenium Line all the way to UBC... so perhaps the info that could be released isn't the "right" info on that one.

Background; http://www.news1130.com/2013/04/02/i...ight-in-delta/

Looks like an intersection upgrade was stimulated by this development and traffic study; http://www.delta.ca/docs/default-sou...-.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Starts on pg 18
Quote:
... Previously, a grade-separated right-in/right-out option was proposed to access the MK Delta Lands Group Development from 72nd Avenue; however, due to potential environmental and property issues that may incur on the Delta Nature Reserve located on the north side of 72nd Avenue, the option was not carried forward for further analysis. ...
Then this happened;
Quote:
... After exploring a mixed-use development concept at 10770 72nd Avenue (SE corner of Hwy 91 and 72nd Avenue), we have requested to put this application on hold. ...
http://www.mkdeltalandsgroup.com/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:47 AM

In no way trying to put down Mininari...........but i hate these type of threads.

I saw the title, got super excited, and then....ugh.

No new article saying it is moving ahead.

No renders posted.

No diagrams linked.

Just a question if anyone else has heard something.

This is why the Rumour Thread was always hot and cold, sometimes an amazing update, usually just people asking for an update, hehe.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
In no way trying to put down Mininari...........but i hate these type of threads.

I saw the title, got super excited, and then....ugh.

No new article saying it is moving ahead.

No renders posted.

No diagrams linked.

Just a question if anyone else has heard something.

This is why the Rumour Thread was always hot and cold, sometimes an amazing update, usually just people asking for an update, hehe.
I am sorry I created a thread for this (I've only created a few in my 15ish years on this forum), but I honestly didn't know where to ask it! There's nothing coming up from google, nor anything on the ministry website. Its a 'ghost project' at this point, despite the announcement two years ago reaffirming "tens of millions of dollars of federal and provincial funding."

But I got my answer. No one knows!
I shouldn't be surprised...

But it is useful to know that big development nearby got put on hold; it is pretty likely that Delta is maybe playing a role in holding the interchange project back, awaiting an assessment of the impacts of the development on the proposed interchange, and how the interchange would need to accommodate traffic coming to/from the development via 72nd.

Thanks for the update. (Moderators are welcome to delete or merge this with something else).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:44 AM

I believe Delta is the reason why it is not an interchange now.

Over 10 years ago it was listed as one of the interchange upgrades to be done within the border infrastructure project package (#10 to 4 lanes, #15 to 4 lanes, 91A & Howes street interchange, Queensburough bridge interchange) but New West wanted a different design than was being proposed.

It was silently dropped from the project.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 9:19 PM

I don't think Delta has budged on their position (insistance on WB 72 to SB 91 movement), which is stupid since the potential development next to the hwy will have a frontage road between 72nd and 64th.

Although in the mean time if the school up the 72nd hill closes it would be nice to have the road as two lanes going up

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 6:37 AM

Well regardless of any news, movement, etc. This project *really* needs to get going, or Hwy 91northbound is going to be an absolutely parking lot come the George Massey Bridge Tolls announced today.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:46 PM

a little disappointed in this thread
had high hopes! lol

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 9:43 PM

If even Delta all of a sudden decided to let the province build the overpass it will NEVER go ahead.

This has nothing to do with #91 and everything to do with George Massey. By building the overpass it will make a much freer flowing #81 and hence an alternative to the GMT. This is the last thing the province wants and it wants to make sure that the potential alternative to the new GNT is as undesirable as possible to keep the money flowing into the GMT.

The GMT tolls have sealed the fate of a potential 72nd overpass.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 11:51 PM

I don't think so.

First, GMT-B won't be open until 2022 at the earliest. The traffic is bad on the AFB today, and will only get worse during construction. An interchange could be built is a pretty short time (Nelson sure was).

Second, the 91 is still an important trucking corridor connecting the 99 (US border) with industrial lands in Delta and on Annacis Island (and a lesser extent in South Burnaby). The upgrade to the Queensborough interchange (and Howes) was part of the moving goods to the border package, which the 72nd interchanged was going to be a part of but was called off until the parties agree on a design. Finishing the 72nd is an important part of that plan (regardless of the tolls on the GMT-B).

The AFB/91 also serves a route not served by the GMT. SOF to South Burnaby. The GMT and AFB don't exactly duplicate and it's not like everyone travelling has an either or choice.

After the GMT-B is built I also think the congestion around the AFB and on the E-W connector will get so bad that if they kept the light, traffic would back up onto the 99 and mess with people going to pay the toll.

Putting in an interchange also makes it easier to get to the toll bridge if you want to bypass the congestion and live in NorSurDel.

But I do think we should put a toll on trucks on the AFB to help pay for all these upgrades over the years, and to help keep trucks from taking the long way around to bypass tolls.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
If even Delta all of a sudden decided to let the province build the overpass it will NEVER go ahead.

This has nothing to do with #91 and everything to do with George Massey. By building the overpass it will make a much freer flowing #81 and hence an alternative to the GMT. This is the last thing the province wants and it wants to make sure that the potential alternative to the new GNT is as undesirable as possible to keep the money flowing into the GMT.

The GMT tolls have sealed the fate of a potential 72nd overpass.
Lol never? Alrighty then

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:25 AM

Also, the border infrastructure program that the 72nd interchange was going to be part of was partly funded (and primarily spearheaded) by the federal government. So I think it would still happen if Delta got their act together just because of the Federal involvement.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 PM

You are right, it is a busy truck corridor and the road is very busy but that has been the case since the damn AFB opened 25 years ago.

The problem now is that the province has a vested interest in NOT building it. They don't want the AFB to be the Patulla version of the PMB. They will make sure that as an alternative it is as slow and inconvenient as possible so people won't use it and will instead pay the toll at the GMT.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Patulla
It's Pattullo.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:11 PM

New announcement on this project

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0122-000965

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
The problem now is that the province has a vested interest in NOT building it. They don't want the AFB to be the Patulla version of the PMB. They will make sure that as an alternative it is as slow and inconvenient as possible so people won't use it and will instead pay the toll at the GMT.
Huh.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:30 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabrat View Post
They say construction is planned for Fall. That's one way to get votes. My biggest gripe though is that this should have been done over a decade ago.

Not only that, you still have the intersections along the SFPR.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Although in the mean time if the school up the 72nd hill closes it would be nice to have the road as two lanes going up
Have there been talks about closing Heath Elementary? I assume that's the school you're referring to?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabrat View Post
Thanks for posting.

Counterflow on Alex Fraser Bridge sounds interesting.

Quote:
New interchange, “cut the congestion” plan unveiled for the Alex Fraser Bridge

The B.C. government will:

•Move ahead with final planning to replace the Highway 91 and 72nd Avenue intersection with a new interchange. The B.C. government has committed an additional $10-million towards building the interchange, to get the project moving again. In total, the B.C. government is funding $20-million towards the $30-million future interchange. This interchange will eliminate the only remaining traffic signal on the Highway 91 corridor, a current choke-point for traffic. The plan is to provide the design details to the public in summer and tender the project subsequently, with construction to start in the fall.

•Immediately add three more tow trucks on standby and increase their on-site hours to clear up stalled or broken down vehicles as quickly as possible, to get them off the bridge.

•Increase the frequency of highway patrols, monitoring for congestion, incidents, safety, debris removal, with increased hours of coverage.

•The ministry will start an engineering review to look at:
◦Installing a new counter-flow system on the bridge for the morning and afternoon traffic crunches; and
◦Introducing an information system that will provide reliable travel information for the various Fraser River crossings at key decision points where motorists can adjust their travel patterns. Dynamic message signs will be installed at key locations on the highway network.

•In the longer term, the B.C. government will continue to work with the Government of Canada and Port of Vancouver to advance new interchanges at Nordel and Sunbury in the areas of Highway 91 and 17 to help further address congestion and move goods.

For more information on the upcoming interchange project at Highway 91 and 72nd Avenue in Delta, members of the community are invited to attend the following public information session: 3:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. on Thursday June 23, in the multi-purpose room in North Delta Rec Centre at 11415 84 Ave., Delta. There will be display boards with more information on the project, and ministry staff will be on hand to answer any questions.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0122-000965

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:10 PM

Excellent.

72nd/91 Interchange and studying counterflow on the AFB (which I suspect will happen sooner than later); I wonder if this is the Liberals realizing that if the 'untolled alternative' doesn't get some attention, they will alienate too many voters south of the fraser who don't like tolls (despite the obvious benefits of the tolled infrastructure).

The key missing detail is will it be a full-movements interchange (to appease Delta)? Or are they just going to go ahead with SOMETHING.

Another detail would be associated widening of Hwy 91 north or south of the AFB to accommodate the counterflow traffic volumes, although I imagine much of it would exit to Nordel / SFPR / 91A. Let the traffic modelers figure that one out. Lets hope the future Sunbury and Nordel Interchanges are advanced; its pretty clear how much the congestion is affecting the peformance of the SFPR as a 'Goods Movement' corridor. Accessing the bridge via a single protected left turn is ludicrous.

Does anyone know how many times this interchange has been 'officially announced' now?

Either way, GREAT news (vote pandering or not).

P.S. Metro-One, I hope this redeems my earlier 'what the heck is going on?!?' query

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure