HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:27 PM

These are looking pretty bland but here are some new renderings of blocks 5 and 11 by BRE Properties:

Quote:
Mission Bay Blocks 5 and 11
San Francisco, California

Client: BRE Properties, Inc.
Units: 170 (Block 5) 190 (Block 11)
Density: 93 du/ac (Block 5) 100.5 (Block 11)

Blocks 5 and 11 are located along the waterfront in San Francisco's bustling Mission Bay district, adjacent to AT&T Ballpark. The independent Blocks feature two distinct apartment communities, both four-stories over retail and parking. Block 5 will consist of approximately 170 apartments, and 17,000-18,000 sq.ft. of retail and amenity space. Block 11 will consist of 190 apartments and approximately 5,000 sq.ft. of common area amenities

Source: http://www.mve-architects.com/

From socketsite:

Quote:
Blocks 5 and 11 down in Mission Bay have just changed hands for a combined $41.4 million according to the San Francisco Business Times. Entitled for 198 and 170 units respectively, the acquiring BRE Properties plans to start construction of rental units on the two blocks by the end of the year.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ruction_c.html

Last edited by 1977; Mar 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:10 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
From socketsite:

Quote:
Blocks 5 and 11 down in Mission Bay have just changed hands for a combined $41.4 million according to the San Francisco Business Times. Entitled for 198 and 170 units respectively, the acquiring BRE Properties plans to start construction of rental units on the two blocks by the end of the year.
of course, that was written in April 2011, so it meant by the end of last year. sigh.

but, thanks for finding the renderings '77! I agree a bit bland, but I at least like the color combination of brown, white and black trim on some of the pieces. depending on the materials they use, could end up looking all right.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:20 AM

Bluepeter has left the building

that is, the Bluepeter building has left:

this is looking west from Terry Francois, and you can see the outline of the building's foundation.

the medical center is in the far background behind the idle cement facility

Last edited by timbad; Mar 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:58 AM

speaking of the medical center, its skin seems to be going up pretty quickly. this is the view from the south, from Third and Mariposa:

I noticed that the glass wall of the Children's Hospital section was starting to go up on the other (west) side, but I imagine that is better visible from the site's webcam.

skipping around a bit, work continues at block 2... this is looking east from Fourth, with Channel on the left:

and also from Fourth, this is the south side of the block, with whatever (ped walkway?) will separate it from block 3 on the right:

and, after a long pause at block 3, they have begun to chew up the asphalt there (so poor Strata in the background might have to deal with the next round of pile-driving soon):

over at the public safety building site, they continue with ? - not sure, it looked like they had been pouring cement into trenches where they had driven piles previously. this is looking from the northwest corner on Third, with Madrone in the background:

this is looking east along the southern edge (Madrone on the right):

and speaking of Madrone, here are a few shots from various angles. all of the glass now seems to be in, some of the blue protective stuff is coming off its lower floors, and its concrete surfaces are being prepped I assume for final painting?:

in other news, they were installing what look like signage poles at the intersection where the new streets (I guess they are Mission Bay Blvd N and S still at that point) from the roundabout meet Berry and the RR tracks, just before Seventh. so more incremental progress toward opening up that northwest area.

Last edited by timbad; Mar 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 5:59 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the photos, timbad and renderings, 1977.

It's amazing how much less plain Radiance looks next to Madrone. One thing I can say about blocks 5 and 11, at least they are breaking them down into varied massing and finishing so they read as several buildings rather than one monolith. I actually think block 11 will look pretty good (if I'm reading these right).

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:19 PM

Some bad news regarding seawall lot 337:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Quote:
Slated for development, but struggling to secure equity investors since 2010, the proposed development of Seawall Lot 337 and Pier 48 (a.k.a. Mission Rock) was expected to start in 2013 and yield 875 housing units, 1 million square feet of office space, 240,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 180,200 square feet of exhibit/event space, 8.7 acres of public open space and 2,650 parking spaces over the next 17 years.

This week, San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors will vote on a resolution to approve a new five year lease for the China Basin Ballpark Company, effectively delaying the development of Seawall 337 until at least 2017.

At least it's not dead. That's the best looking part of the Mission Bay plan in my opinion, so the delay sucks. I hope it gets built eventually, and not in the boring, less-is-better kind of way that SF loves.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 7:30 AM

Construction cam for Block 2:

http://70.35.47.146/view/index.shtml

Source and project page: http://www.nibbi.com/projects/mission-bay-block-2/

Also, there's a project page for Block 3 as well:

http://www.nibbi.com/projects/mission-bay-block-3/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:35 PM

Quick note: A second crane is being assembled on the east side of block 2.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Quick note: A second crane is being assembled on the east side of block 2.
... and here the visual evidence:

the sign's probably too small to read, but the development has a new website, and is apparently called, shockingly, Channel Mission Bay

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:30 AM

elsewhere, work continues in the courtyard behind the CVRB, and it is getting greener, with a bamboo curtain running along the sidewalk on Nelson Rising mostly in place, and plenty more greenery waiting in the wings:

and in case anyone missed it, they have started to pour concrete in the neuroscience building's courtyard:

I saw plans for the space in a pdf doc at some point, but I don't think I have the link handy. it will contain water elements as well as rows of plantings.

and here is what the medical center looks like on the Third St side, since that is not visible from the webcam:

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:06 PM

Thanks for the update timbad!

Also, Nektar is moving 30 more jobs to MB:

Quote:
Nektar moving 30 research jobs to S.F.
San Francisco Business Times by Ron Leuty, Reporter
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 7:22am PDT

Thirty research jobs will shift to San Francisco by July from a Nektar Therapeutics Inc. facility in Alabama, the company said Tuesday.
The move, the San Francisco-based drug developer (NASDAQ: NKTR) said, will consolidate all of its U.S. research and development work — biology, chemistry and clinical development — at its 102,283-square-foot Mission Bay location. After the move is complete, the San Francisco site will house about 230 employees.
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...e-alabama.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
At least it's not dead. That's the best looking part of the Mission Bay plan in my opinion, so the delay sucks. I hope it gets built eventually, and not in the boring, less-is-better kind of way that SF loves.
Couldn't agree more! Well said.

timbad (or anyone) - any signs of paint going on the exposed concrete at Madrone? I just noticed their ad at the bottom of this page, which seems to confirm that is the plan for those sections.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:51 AM

It looks like some paint has already been applied in the picture below. Check out the balconies on the tower portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post

Am I mistaken?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
timbad (or anyone) - any signs of paint going on the exposed concrete at Madrone? I just noticed their ad at the bottom of this page, which seems to confirm that is the plan for those sections.
I wasn't going to play up the white that has gone onto some portions of the concrete (which 1977 points out) too much just yet, since we got faked out once before on the top of one of the towers. but you're right, it does seem like how it will turn out, based on the exterior shot seen if you click on GALLERY from this page (cheesy music alert)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quite right. Didn't notice that before. Thanks, both!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 8:08 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

A timely overview of Mission Bay from the north, showing all the new construction:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6...3b3cf4f3_b.jpg

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
A timely overview of Mission Bay from the north, showing all the new construction:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6...3b3cf4f3_b.jpg
Awesome angle. I can't wait to see all of the towers (One Rincon 2, 45 Lansing, etc.) rising on Rincon Hill. And Mission Bay is slowly, but surely, filling in and becoming a place.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:10 AM

UCSF Flickr set showing the hospital's construction progress. The first 4-5 pictures have some great close ups of the glass being installed on the southwest corner of the building. Looking good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucsfmed...7627769299599/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:17 PM

Interesting little tidbit buried inside this article. Surprised none of the local papers picked up on this.

..."BTW: It might interest the citizens of Oakland to know Commissioner David Stern was in the next town Wednesday to inspect building plans and the site for the Warriors’ planned arena in San Francisco. All that’s left on their relocation is the impending official announcement."...
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...WCRRyXXhuEQJ/2

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Interesting little tidbit buried inside this article. Surprised none of the local papers picked up on this.

..."BTW: It might interest the citizens of Oakland to know Commissioner David Stern was in the next town Wednesday to inspect building plans and the site for the Warriors’ planned arena in San Francisco. All that’s left on their relocation is the impending official announcement."...
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...WCRRyXXhuEQJ/2
Sweet! That sounds like some good news. Maybe we'll get an arena across from AT&T park afterall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development