HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The federal government has turned over the rest of the eastern portion of River Road Park to the university.

The university has announced that it wants to build a building that would house the UA crew team's equipment, dressing rooms, snack bar, and other random uses at the park.

The River Walk is expected to be extended through the portion of the park, and the city apparently has plans to build a pedestrian bridge across Jack Warner Parkway to connect the University and the park.

Tuscaloosa News article

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue View Post
That SEC building looks awesome in that picture. I really love the brink insets & the white arches. Also love that harlequin grass pattern. Wonder if I could do that in a normal yard? What's going in the center of that circle? Looks like it's being prepped for something like a statue, flowerbed, or fountain.

What's going to be put in Lloyd? I remember reading something about that, but forgot. It says they're permanently removing the Chem. dept.

Anyone know if there are any plans to eventually replace the Biology building?
Lloyd Hall will become a sorely-needed general classroom and lecture hall building. The bottom floor will supposedly house a dining hall. Just think about about how many seeped chemical (and abestos) are in that building!

Last edited by ttownfeen; Jul 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 7:08 PM

Slow goings for Tuscaloosa so far this summer.

Best Buy is opening a store in Midtown, as are some random retailers.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...o-open-in-Fall

Midtown's been a underwhelming thus far - it still isn't even half-full.

This is tangentially related to the first story: a family feud of the Bama Fever chain of stores.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...-to-open-in-09

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 6:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

From the Tuscaloosa News.

Ridgecrest South is nearly finished. Expected completion is to be August 9th, for early move in day. The day I move back down.

The 96 foot tall, $104 Million building sits on top of a 1,000 space parking deck.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:01 AM

This article discusses plans in further detail the city and university's plans for the riverfront now that the Corp of Engineers has or will soon reliquish its land on the riverfront in the center of Tuscaloosa. Specifically,

* The Corp of Engineers headquarters near Queen City Avenue and the new Bank of Tuscaloosa Plaza will be converted into a new home for the Tuscaloosa Convention and Visitors' Bureau and the Tuscaloosa Farmer's Market. I can imagine this will also mean there will be some meeting space along the river.

* UA's intends to build new dock facilities on the former CoE property near the university, as well as facilities for the UA Crew squad.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...ont-properties

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:48 AM

That Ridgecrest building looks amazing. Can't wait to see it once the land/streetscaping is done.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 1:44 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Fortunately, I move in on the 9th, and then I have that day off. Band camp doesn't start until either the 10th or 11th, so I'll have some time to walk around campus and snap some pictures of the changes.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:11 PM

Great news about the Spiller Building (or Allen & Jemison Building if you want to be historical)!

The city is working with the current owners of the building, Christ Episcopal Church, to develop the building into an arts center.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...ew-arts-center

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:17 PM

So, walking on the Strip today, I noticed the former location of the Booth now housing a leasing/advertising center for one of the student condo colonies - I don't know which one. That brings the number of these offices on the Strip to three - the other two are for the Lake Tamaha development and University Village.

I can't how these even work - I never even see them open. The bars and clubs that used to be there were a much better fit, in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:39 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ok, so, I've got some pictures! Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time as I thought I would have since I've been in Ttown. Band camp has pretty much taken over my schedule...

The view from my window in Rose Towers.

The completed new engineering building from Hackberry Lane.

Bryant-Denny Progress:

Progress on the new nursing building:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:24 PM

Okay, this isn't development, per se, nor is it really discussion, but I know a lot of people come to UA a lot so I'll post it here.

UA to ease dining crowds

Highlights:

* As I mentioned before, a new 90-seat dining hall is opening in the basement of newly-renovated Lloyd Hall. It will have a Chick-fil-A, Pizza Hut, etc.

* They are looking to move Fresh Food Company into a new building and double its capacity.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:53 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Hmmm, I thought it was just gonna be a Chik Fil A. I'm glad they're putting some more options on that side of campus.

Plus, it appears that they are constructing some kinda cupola like structure on top of Lloyd.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 10:37 PM

The new office building on Jack Warner Parkway - dubbed the Bank of Tuscaloosa Plaza - officially opened on Friday. VIPs were there for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and Tuscaloosa News took some photos of the building. The back of the building is kinda nice, but I still think this would have been awesome in downtown proper.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...front-upgrades

No word on what's going to happen to Stafford Plaza, the Bank of Tuscaloosa's old headquarters.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 5:31 PM

A more in-depth article into what it would take to transform the Spiller (or Allen & Jemison) Building into a regional arts center.

Turning Spiller building into arts center will take work

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 8:15 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I would start another thread for this discussion since we've talked about it so much, but since it seems everyone is so dead set against "junk threads"....

There's now a webcam that is watching the Bryant Denny expansion 24/7. You can go anytime and check out the progress.

Webcam site

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:05 PM

From the looks of that webcam, I wondering if after the expansion there's going to be any room left for Bryant Drive??

ETA: I don't think a major construction project getting its own thread would be considered "junk."

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 3:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BUT, it falls into this category!

"Junk thread list"

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:24 AM

That's just one dude's opinion.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 7:49 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
That's just one dude's opinion.
I know, but it's still funny But, on a serious note, you are correct.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It appears that some prelim work has begun on Foster. On the first day of class, after my Community Facilities Planning class, I headed to Burke for some lunch and notice that there was some brick work being done on the Burke side of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast