HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 1:33 AM
North Center

I know there were alot of attempts to save this historic site. A shame it's gone. The place took forever to come down. Before I moved to Chicago, I remember seeing pieces of it slowly disappear on when I visited.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 1:53 AM

Heh, I probably sounded like a dork saying neat old factory, but it was a nice looking old building, or set of buildings as the case may be. It seemed to have quite a long history, too. I'm sure if it was in the west loop there would have been more effort to convert it into lofts or something. It seemed to have some really nice Craftsman or Prairie style details.

http://forgottenchicago.com/features...-of-washburne/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:48 AM

Well it seems the Division Street corridor is on something of a roll these days. Going from east to west:

--Atrium Village redevelopment (being considered)
--Parkside of Old Town next phase (under construction)
--Cabrini-Green whites complete demolition (by early next year)
--Halsted Street bridge (by end of next year)
--Division Street bridges (last year or two)

and now:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#axzz17gG9poXD

McGrath Lexus plans Acura dealer, expansion on North Side
By: Alby Gallun December 08, 2010

(Crain's) — Car dealer Michael McGrath is moving forward with a $17-million project on the Near North Side that would allow him to expand his existing Elston Avenue Lexus dealership and open a new Acura showroom across the street.

The Chicago Plan Commission on Dec. 16 is slated to consider proposed zoning changes for the development, which would include a new 130,000-square-foot service center connected to the McGrath Lexus dealership at 1250 N. Elston Ave.

Mr. McGrath also plans a 28,000-square-foot Acura outlet on a riverside property at 1301 N. Elston Ave., the former home of now-defunct tech firm Divine Inc. The dealer acquired the site in 2004.

. . .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:18 AM
BANNED

^^^^God I remember Divine....my wife was in B-school at Kellogg and she had this guy in several of her classes who was a "consultant" for Divine.....I remember I had just finished my MS in computer science and he and I would talk about exactly what it he did.....I never really got a straight answer......

always seemed fishy
He had no idea on the technical side of things

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy_Bork View Post
Heh, I probably sounded like a dork saying neat old factory, but it was a nice looking old building, or set of buildings as the case may be. It seemed to have quite a long history, too. I'm sure if it was in the west loop there would have been more effort to convert it into lofts or something. It seemed to have some really nice Craftsman or Prairie style details.

http://forgottenchicago.com/features...-of-washburne/
Man if only such an institution could exist today...I guess it sort of does via various trade schools etc.....but it just goes to show how the Chicago economy is in many ways a microcosm of the US economy

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:34 PM
Urbane observer

Washburne Trade School was an old factory. It was built in 1910 for the Liquid Carbonic Co., which made drugstore soda fountains in the early days but apparently shifted into the welding and industrial markets later. The office annex to the east was clearly added later, probably 1940s.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:44 PM

Target close to deal to move into old Carsons on State Street

"Real estate sources said Thursday that both deals are in the final stages. Target would become the retail anchor of the former Carson Pirie Scott store at 1 S. State, a Chicago landmark designed by Louis Sullivan."

Full article:

http://www.suntimes.com/2767878-417/...go-stores.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:54 PM

Front page of the tribune shows the last person moving out of the last Cabrini building. I'm guessing it will be coming down shortly.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
Target close to deal to move into old Carsons on State Street

"Real estate sources said Thursday that both deals are in the final stages. Target would become the retail anchor of the former Carson Pirie Scott store at 1 S. State, a Chicago landmark designed by Louis Sullivan."

Full article:

http://www.suntimes.com/2767878-417/...go-stores.html
Sweet. It would be great if they'd take advantage of the building to create more of a high-end department store feel.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 8:11 PM
THAT Guy

New University of Chicago science building
HOK + James Carpenter

The original plan was to renovate the Research Institutes, demolish some buildings to the west for a new science quad, and build a new science tower to the north (honte was concerned about destroying these lowrise buildings). Now it seems like they'll replace the Research Institutes, still build the new quad, and according to the renderings, keep the lowrise buildings for now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 8:37 PM
BANNED

whatever happened to honte....did he die?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 4:18 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
New University of Chicago science building
That's really nice. The U of C is unquestionably the frontrunner with respect to new campus architecture in the city of Chicago. Meanwhile, Loyola and Northwestern have built postmodern schlock. They really ought to take a page out of U of C's playbook.

Whirlpool:

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Dec 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
That's really nice. The U of C is unquestionably the frontrunner with respect to new campus architecture in the city of Chicago. Meanwhile, Loyola and Northwestern have built postmodern schlock. They really ought to take a page out of U of C's playbook.

Whirlpool:
Aww....waterview!
Very Nice....

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This is kind of bland considering the many other recent and recently-announced projects in the area - especially for a science facility, no?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
This is kind of bland considering the many other recent and recently-announced projects in the area - especially for a science facility, no?
I don't necessarily think so; it's a laboratory building, not a museum - and it's very much in line with the design quality of other recent, similar buildings on campus: the inter-divisional research building across the street, the medical research building to the west of this, the new hospital, etc.

btw, thanks spyguy. Is there a timeline for demo/groundbreaking for the new facility?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:53 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
True, although I'm honestly OK with most of the new Loyola stuff. I just wish they'd pick better architects for the Water Tower campus. DePaul is pretty bad overall. Northwestern, however, is terrible considering the size of their endowment and their reputation. There's no excuse for the bland buildings on both campuses (especially in Streeterville). Even the new music building is pretty conservative design-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
btw, thanks spyguy. Is there a timeline for demo/groundbreaking for the new facility?
I remember reading that they planned on relocating offices over this past summer and begin demolition work in winter.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I don't necessarily think so; it's a laboratory building, not a museum - and it's very much in line with the design quality of other recent, similar buildings on campus: the inter-divisional research building across the street, the medical research building to the west of this, the new hospital, etc.
Design quality, maybe, but considering Williams & Tsien (Logan performing arts), Jahn (Mansueto library), Vinoly (business school), Jahn (the district heating (?) building), Gang (Solstice), the couple recent proposals near Metra, and at least several others, I just don't see anyone looking at this and not forgetting that it's not at the University of Nebraska or somewhere. These things'll be standing here for a half-century at least, after all (Regenstein is as iconic as ever today, for example). I know, not every building can be an xmas present, but still, shouldn't this look more like a computer-related building (I think there was a great example of one built at MIT recently)? The next Google could be conceived here after all (right across the street from the Fermi monument no less). As it is you could say this was veterinary science building and nobody would know the difference.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 10:29 PM

I think at the University of Chicago they should try to do just traditional on the north side of the midway and modern on the south side. It just looks so crazy to have gothic limestone cathedrals next to modern glass and concrete. It's like they can't make up their mind about whether they want traditional or modern architecture. I like both for different reasons, but I wish they wouldn't have such a schizophrenic mishmash of styles.

Also, think they should have that canal through the midway like Olmstead wanted. Imagine how cool that would be.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I think at the University of Chicago they should try to do just traditional on the north side of the midway and modern on the south side. It just looks so crazy to have gothic limestone cathedrals next to modern glass and concrete. It's like they can't make up their mind about whether they want traditional or modern architecture. I like both for different reasons, but I wish they wouldn't have such a schizophrenic mishmash of styles.

Also, think they should have that canal through the midway like Olmstead wanted. Imagine how cool that would be.
I strongly disagree. I love the mishmash. The canal on the other hand would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 11:49 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post

I disagree as well. This is the exact kind of juxtaposition of architectural styles that makes Chicago the gem that it is. Another, more high profile example of this would be the Wrigley building and the Trump. This is a living breathing visual dialog that spans decades and speaks volumes about the frame of mind of developers, architects, the public and the city during the time that these buildings were completed. I dig it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development