HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:25 PM

Wonder if some one lit a fire under the contractor doing new Mcormond interchange, seems to be alot more activity, maybe the city doesn't want to spoil their grand opening plans of the commuter bridge.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 2:47 PM

Guess I was right city is discussing this schedule, so we will see if city follows through

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38456

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:33 PM

City thinking about widening sidewalk on Idylwyld bridge as part of the scheduled 2019 maintenance schedule. I REALLY hope they do, so that it can accommodate the foot and bike traffic as that bridge is an important active transit connector to River Landing and Farmers market area!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Guess I was right city is discussing this schedule, so we will see if city follows through

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38456
Interesting that the Boychuck interchange is set to open 9 months after the McCormand one even though they started at the same time (and with the Boychuck one pushing well ahead of the McCormand one from the get-go). I can't see the McCormand interchange being ready in 1 years time, but it will be interesting to watch what happens.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:58 AM

So they want to have College Drive 80 km/hr for everything east of Preston... because they didnt design McCormond and College overpass for more than 80km/hr traffic??? What the hell? Why would they do such a silly thing as that?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
So they want to have College Drive 80 km/hr for everything east of Preston... because they didnt design McCormond and College overpass for more than 80km/hr traffic??? What the hell? Why would they do such a silly thing as that?
Agreed. You'd think that they would have treated that section of College Drive like other parts of Saskatoon's freeway system (e.g., Circle Drive and the Idylwyld Freeway) where the speed limit is 90km/hr, and then designed an overpass/interchange to handle that speed of traffic.

Then, again, I've never understood why large sections of Circle Drive aren't 100km/hour, but that's just me.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:42 PM

They likely leave it @80 because there are lights at the bottom of circle drive on college and at central, maybe at this ill designed access into the new neighbourhood east of the CP overpass.

Similar to how speeds are 80 on circle between Laurier and Clancy.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:18 PM

Careful, they could make it 60km/h like on 22nd between Diefenbaker and Betts just to spite you .

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:43 PM

College Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I have followed this closely and it seems to me that there are people in city hall who are HELL BENT on turning College Drive into another 22nd Street West cluster F.... They want to put in numerous intersections along College. They are already putting in a right in only into Brighton just past the railway overpass. It was originally going to be an intersection with lights. To say the overpass was designed with 80Kph in mind is a flat out LIE. All streets and infastructure is designed for speeds above the planned speed limit. This design is no different that the Boychuck interchange. Plus, the design is better than other overpasses in the city along Circle Drive with a speed of 90kph.

College Drive NEEDS TO BE A FREEWAY. Eventually between University Heights and Holmwood there will be 100,000 people living in this area with College as the only primary access to downtown. As a freeway it will make the perfect rapid transit corridor.

But alas, only someone who is incompetent would not be able to figure out that College Drive needs to be a Freeway/Rapid Transit Corridor with no traffic lights.

(Sorry for the rant but the incompetence with respect to College Drive is really ticking me off)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I have followed this closely and it seems to me that there are people in city hall who are HELL BENT on turning College Drive into another 22nd Street West cluster F.... They want to put in numerous intersections along College. They are already putting in a right in only into Brighton just past the railway overpass. It was originally going to be an intersection with lights. To say the overpass was designed with 80Kph in mind is a flat out LIE. All streets and infastructure is designed for speeds above the planned speed limit. This design is no different that the Boychuck interchange. Plus, the design is better than other overpasses in the city along Circle Drive with a speed of 90kph.

College Drive NEEDS TO BE A FREEWAY. Eventually between University Heights and Holmwood there will be 100,000 people living in this area with College as the only primary access to downtown. As a freeway it will make the perfect rapid transit corridor.

But alas, only someone who is incompetent would not be able to figure out that College Drive needs to be a Freeway/Rapid Transit Corridor with no traffic lights.

(Sorry for the rant but the incompetence with respect to College Drive is really ticking me off)
I agree. College should be a freeway, 90-100km max speeds. I didnt know there are plans to do this to college, thats really disappointing

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
...They want to put in numerous intersections along College. They are already putting in a right in only into Brighton just past the railway overpass. It was originally going to be an intersection with lights...
When I first saw that plan I was truly dumbfounded... WHO came up with that idea and how did it make it far enough to be publicly announced?! the RIRO is acceptable to me, but my thoughts are exactly like yours. I used to think the speed limit was too fast on College (when it was 100km/h) not because of the need for a major corridor but simply because of the road design - narrow shoulder with very steep ditch and big difference in elevation leaving any cars that leave the road very prone to dangerous rollovers. The lack of lighting is also a concern. 90km/h felt like a safe limit, going to 80 won't help anything and is likely to cause speed differentials.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:

i had read in the Long term plans for holmwood ( saskatoon.ca-development ) that college drive was to remain an expressway eastbound onward to highway #5 80-100km/h . i still think that this will be the case, since its a major roadway, and if there were going to be major changes, im sure it wouldve been publicly announced or documented somewhere.

i can see if your heading eastbound on college, they can place just a simple right turn exit into the holmwood area so those commuters wont have to go to the interchange, im all for something like that, but the traffic light is too much. that will cause delays on circle drive if theres ever an accident on college/and or traffic delays due to the light.

can you find that article thats stating that they are placing traffic lights on college? im curious

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:29 PM

College Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
i had read in the Long term plans for holmwood ( saskatoon.ca-development ) that college drive was to remain an expressway eastbound onward to highway #5 80-100km/h . i still think that this will be the case, since its a major roadway, and if there were going to be major changes, im sure it wouldve been publicly announced or documented somewhere.

i can see if your heading eastbound on college, they can place just a simple right turn exit into the holmwood area so those commuters wont have to go to the interchange, im all for something like that, but the traffic light is too much. that will cause delays on circle drive if theres ever an accident on college/and or traffic delays due to the light.

can you find that article thats stating that they are placing traffic lights on college? im curious
First of all, there was a plan for a right in and left out of Brighton just past railway overpass. It would have required traffic lights for east bound College Drive traffic. City council eventually came to their senses and agreed to a right in only. So no traffic lights at that intersection.

Second, in the Sept 5, 2017 SPC-Planning, Development and Community Services meeting are the proposed amendments to the Holmwood Sector plan. The following is the link to the agenda as well as the link to two specific maps. It appears that east of Zimmerman road will be a district village along College. The map also shows two crossing points between Zimmerman and the perimeter highway.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...ang=English#28

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38118

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38119

Finally, I expected and can accept a speed limit of 90kph on College. The road design is equal highway 11 and 16 which are both 90kph. It is better than sections of Circle Drive where it is okay to have a speed of 90kph.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:00 PM

Warman and Martensville overpasses 40% complete.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3810035/n...uction-update/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
First of all, there was a plan for a right in and left out of Brighton just past railway overpass. It would have required traffic lights for east bound College Drive traffic. City council eventually came to their senses and agreed to a right in only. So no traffic lights at that intersection.

Second, in the Sept 5, 2017 SPC-Planning, Development and Community Services meeting are the proposed amendments to the Holmwood Sector plan. The following is the link to the agenda as well as the link to two specific maps. It appears that east of Zimmerman road will be a district village along College. The map also shows two crossing points between Zimmerman and the perimeter highway.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...ang=English#28

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38118

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=38119

Finally, I expected and can accept a speed limit of 90kph on College. The road design is equal highway 11 and 16 which are both 90kph. It is better than sections of Circle Drive where it is okay to have a speed of 90kph.

has there been any timeline for the saskatoon freeway?, ovbiously the whole thing has been approved, and will be built seeing as its in all of the development plans, is this going to start after the regina bypass? or will this be like a 2030 type thing ? id say at least build the northern part at least and leave the south portion for later

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Warman and Martensville overpasses 40% complete.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3810035/n...uction-update/
Completion fall 2019? Sounds like a very lengthy construction time period given that they're 40% complete now.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:05 PM

Probably because it sounds like they don't work in the winter months

http://www.martensville.ca/ckfinder/...t%20Update.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Both of these interchanges are needed big-time. No question.

The same could be said, however, of a new interchange at Idylwyld and Marquis. When the North Commuter Parkway Bridge opens next year, huge waves of traffic are going to be barrelling down Marquis toward the traffic lights at that intersection creating potentially massive line-ups and waits. How this interchange wasn't built simultaneously with the North Commuter Bridge is beyond me.
Idywyld and marquis wont ever happen, thing is ( from what ive been told by a few sources now ) that the NDP/democrat government says that specific intersection should remain with lights BECAUSE... the new north commuter will decrease traffic flow from that paticular interchange, and therefore the costs to build wouldnt be necessary.

isnt warman and martvensville supposed to grow lol ? and our industrial sector expand north?

typical NDP, clueless

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:13 PM

From discussions I've had with the City of Saskatoon regarding a project near the intersection of Idylwyld and Marquis, there are definitely plans for an interchange at that location. As for when or what configuration it would take, I can't say, however, work in the vicinity of that intersection has had to be designed to accommodate a future interchange.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:19 PM

There is a recommendation in this traffic priority projects report report

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...Priorities.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan