HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:56 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
But we should take the A's back.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
What's McHenry counties numbers if you have them off hand.
McHenry County - $9.739 Billion

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Precisely the stereotype shot down by the fact that the county in which Oakland sits (surrounded by a bunch of suburbs) has a larger GDP than Philadelphia.

Thanks for making my point (however angrily).

That too is rather my point. Most of the country "looks down on" Oakland as a land of gangstas, rappers, "road shows" and an edgy football team but not a whole lot of economic activity reflected in its GDP. That's the sterotype and very different from the image of Philadelphia (in another thread, one forum participant called that "New York's little sister" or some such).

Anyway, nice to see how much economic activity is indeed happening in Alameda.
I don't understand your point. Most of Alameda County's GDP come from its suburbs, not Oakland. Philadelphia County is Philadelphia city proper, period.

Oakland is a fine city with a lot of potential but comparing it to Philadelphia is laughable. Pittsburgh would be a more apt comparison, and I still believe Pittsburgh wins out in that one.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:57 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
I don't understand your point. Most of Alameda County's GDP come from its suburbs, not Oakland. Philadelphia County is Philadelphia city proper, period.

Oakland is a fine city with a lot of potential but comparing it to Philadelphia is laughable. Pittsburgh would be a more apt comparison, and I still believe Pittsburgh wins out in that one.
Yeah, Oakland proper is nearly 4x smaller than Philadelphia so it's not really a good comparison.

As far as Pittsburgh and Oakland, Im inclined to agree that more economic activity occurs in Pittsburgh as it is the principal job center in it's metro area, while Oakland isnt.

There are few datasets in factfinder that have some pertinent stats like this:

Aggregate Household Income, 2017:
Philadelphia, PA $37.252 Billion
Oakland, CA $16.302 Billion
Pittsburgh, CA $9.614 Billion

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Rumor is a 2020 statewide vote will force merger and put St. Louis in the top 10 largest munis again.

https://www.mcphersonpublishing.com/bettertogether/

Also, I think people underestimate how much wealth is in the St. Louis region. Still a crapload of F500s and powerful institutions for a city it's size. Also a lot of old money. Pretty much squandered potential, because of inept and corrupt local governments playing mob games with each other. If St. Louis had fixed it's governmental issues decades ago, no doubt we would be looking at a metro at least double it's current size.
Interesting. I wonder what the actual likelihood of this happening is. I'm also in agreement with you about wasted potential. A unified St. Louis would certainly be far more competitive nationally than the current political reality.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
^I think St. Louis has tremendous potential this century.

Once again, it goes back to the basics. Endless land and plentiful water along with a temperate climate. Yeah it's super hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but it's less cold than Chicago and less hot than Texas.
What kind of idiot would want to live in St. Louis when you can simply spend summers in Chicago and winters in Texas

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 6:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Yeah, Oakland proper is nearly 4x smaller than Philadelphia so it's not really a good comparison.

As far as Pittsburgh and Oakland, Im inclined to agree that more economic activity occurs in Pittsburgh as it is the principal job center in it's metro area, while Oakland isnt.

There are few datasets in factfinder that have some pertinent stats like this:

Aggregate Household Income, 2017:
Philadelphia, PA $37.252 Billion
Oakland, CA $16.302 Billion
Pittsburgh, CA $9.614 Billion
I get that there's a Pittsburg in CA, but aren't you referring to Pittsburgh, PA above?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quite a lot of industries in Pittsburg CA.

Could of been a typo on his part, is what it looks like.

Kinda like Corpus Christi, Texas. For the longest, I kept spelling it Corpus Christie, in which Christie was our failed NJ Governor.

Although one thing is for sure, Union City, CA is not the same as Union City, NJ. Copyright infringement. Let NJ keep Union City. Rename Union City, CA to something else.

Let NJ have something good for once, like the word Union. We don't have much to offer, but for the love of sweet babyracks Jesus, let us keep Union!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Quite a lot of industries in Pittsburg CA.

Could of been a typo on his part, is what it looks like.

Kinda like Corpus Christi, Texas. For the longest, I kept spelling it Corpus Christie, in which Christie was our failed NJ Governor.

Although one thing is for sure, Union City, CA is not the same as Union City, NJ. Copyright infringement. Let NJ keep Union City. Rename Union City, CA to something else.

Let NJ have something good for once, like the word Union. We don't have much to offer, but for the love of sweet babyracks Jesus, let us keep Union!
Pittsburg, CA is mostly a middle class (with blue collar tinges) suburb. Homes there cost a lot less than the inner Bay Area but it's still at the end of the regional transit network for those who choose the torture of commuting to SF.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
What about Portland, OR? The real Portland is in Maine. After we rush Area 51 in September, let's organize a social media request for Portland Oregon to change it's name, once and for all -- I'm getting tired of having to constantly type the state abbreviation after mentioning it!

Quote:
Bro, you guys are world-renowned. Jersey Shore, Real Housewives and the Sopranos, what more do you want from us?!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions