HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:37 AM
Karma Police

For those who are interested, the first concrete pour is today. It's the part of the foundation that will support the tower crane. Stop by and watch the fun if you're down that way.....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
For a bit, the local restaurants were trying to get an ordinance passed to eliminate the food carts. They claimed it was unfair competition since the carts didn't have to abide by the same standards and requirements that a physical restaurant does.

I'm glad they are around...I have several places on a list I can go for lunch and not spend more than $5. Before I realized how great the carts really are, my list consisted of Subway and McDonalds.
I'm glad that proposal went down in flames. I think the carts are good too. Anyone know what happend to Cart DeFrisco that used to be in Pioneer Courthouse Sq? Those chicken sandwiches they do are amazing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:17 PM

I think that entire parking lot block by the galleria should be converted into a food cart mecca. It could turn in to a great little area if thats all it was used for--a quirky portland tourist stop.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:18 PM

^I was kinda thinking the same...not on the lot next to the Galleria, I'd like to see something spectacular rise from there...but a central food court for downtown where all those carts would be able to congregate in one area would be pretty sweet! Maybe closing some road for a few blocks around the park blocks or something and lining the carts up there would create a little pedestrian street and market.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:39 PM
Karma Police

Why segregate them to one or two blocks? Spread them out throughout downtown so everyone has easy access. In the meantime, surface parking lots will be around for a few more years, the carts will always find a spot to congregate....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:50 PM

^there will always be food carts around town, even if there was a central city food court. I was just thinking that a permanent indy food court unlike the corporate one at Pioneer Place could spawn some cheap permanent structures the small vendors could rent, a central eating area currently lacking at most carts, and a wide selection of foods in a few blocks in an enjoyable fesitval type setting in the park, near the weekly farmers market, or even in that plaza. I'd be there every day at lunch!!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:18 PM
Karma Police

Marilyn Moyer Plaza will probably have several retail kiosks and outdoor seating, but it's unlikely that portable carts will be allowed to set up in the plaza itself. They would compete with the permanent retail tenants, who will likely be paying a pretty penny to operate in that prime location.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Why segregate them to one or two blocks? Spread them out throughout downtown so everyone has easy access. In the meantime, surface parking lots will be around for a few more years, the carts will always find a spot to congregate....
this is a big group of food carts lining the street over by big pink. i forget the streets but im pretty sure its over there. anyone else know what im talking about?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 5:29 AM

^ 5th and stark or so

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 9:42 AM
Karma Police

^ There's a great Indian cart on 5th near Stark, if you like Tandoori

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 12:19 AM

these are from yesterday

i guess i was at the wrong angle to see the crane footing. 65max: do you know when they will install the crane?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 12:38 AM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 1:44 AM

Why do they need a crane? I'm guessing it won't be a very big one

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 2:41 AM

you need a crane to build a 75 foot building its the same think except the building will be underground. it will be a normal tower crane about 5 stories tall. plus how else would they get the excavators out of the hole?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 3:22 AM

wow

me and my friends visited that store last summer - it was dreadful - hardly any customers and the merchandise was pretty bad - the lighting was awful - some of the sealed off floors was weird

my friend didn't like the washrooms - lol - apparently he didn't like the half doors for the toilets when he had to do a #2 and people could look at him doing so - lol

i was also surprised how dead some of the streets around it were considering how bustling that mall was - the one with saks etc. was just packed - we were wandering around town thinking why is it so quiet and than we went in that mall and were like oh - so this is where everyone is

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:11 AM
Karma Police

Yes, that's the start of the footing for the crane (yes, there is a crane). It will be going up on Feb 10th and 11th. It'll only be a few stories above grade, but also 70' below grade, so altogether, it's about 100' tall, possibly a little more. Just tall enough to get equipment and materials in and out.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:04 PM

^question...how do they build the garage with a crane in the middle of it? Do they just patch up the crane holes after it is removed?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:53 PM
Karma Police

The crane is positioned away from the garage columns and beams, so they will block out the sections of floor slab around the crane at each level as they build up. When they remove the crane, they'll fill in the holes.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:18 PM

Portland Infill | Southwest Portland

Daily Journal of Commerce Photo

Fate of Parcel 8 remains a mystery
by Kennedy Smith
01/29/2007

A year ago this month, developers' attention turned to a 48,352-square-foot parcel in the heart of one of Portland's fastest-growing development areas: RiverPlace's Parcel 8. The Portland Development Commission had issued a request for proposals on the prime property, and the big question was: Who's going to bid, and what will they put there?

Twelve months later, the question remains unanswered. But now, Parcel 8 is back up for consideration, with PDC about to issue a new RFP later this week.

Parcel 8 comprises a city block along the Portland Streetcar line and sits south of the three-tower Strand Condominiums, being developed in partnership by Jack Onder and Homer Williams. To its east are the David Evans and Associates headquarters building and the Marriott Residence Inn.

During the RFP process in January 2006, the PDC only asked developers to comply with design and zoning requirements, which call for a building of no more than 150 feet in height – The Strand's east tower is 150 feet and its north and west towers stand at 125 feet. Architectural renderings were not required.

But only two companies responded – Hanover Co. of Dallas and Portland's Rembold Co. – and neither met the RFP's requirements, according to Geraldene Moyle, project manager at the PDC.

It would have been Hanover's first Portland investment. The development company, which specializes in multifamily residential properties, has developed three high-rises in the Seattle area, but most of its portfolio is in Dallas, Houston and Los Angeles.

Kali Bader, vice president at Rembold, when reached for comment said she was unaware that PDC has plans to issue another RFP, but she said the company would "have to see what they're looking for" before deciding whether to bid again. Bader wouldn't comment on what the company's plans for the parcel were last year in case the company does decide to bid again, she said, and the PDC could not locate Rembold's 2006 proposal by the time of publication.

Rembold's regional portfolio includes four acres in the Lloyd District, Russellville Park, a 154-unit senior apartment project in Portland and Villebois, a planned community in Wilsonville.

Speaking on why the RFP was shelved for a year, Moyle said: "No timeline had been proposed for this site. Now, with the environmental cleanup complete and The Strand coming on board, the market seems more appropriate now."

And the lack of responses to the first Parcel 8 RFP prompted PDC to go back to the drawing board, Moyle said.

"What we did after we closed out the RFP last year is we asked the developer community what they thought," Moyle said. "What we heard was that it would be interesting to team Parcel 8 with Parcel 3 across River Parkway."

Parcel 3 is a 91,476-square-foot property (about 53 percent larger than Parcel 8) located across River Parkway, directly south of Parcel 8. Whichever developer receives the go-ahead from PDC on Parcel 8 will have what's known as "first right of offer" on Parcel 3, meaning the chosen developer would be first in line to buy Parcel 3 if and when PDC decides to sell it.

Moyle said the new RFP will encourage developers interested in purchasing the property to include a mix of residential and commercial uses. The winning bidder will then enter into negotiations.

Parcel 8 was appraised in January 2006 at $4.59 million, but an updated appraisal is in process, Moyle said.

A "full appraisal" of Parcel 3 hasn't been completed, Julie Rawls, public information officer at the PDC, Moyle said.

"We anticipate the value to have increased due to several factors, including the success of recently completed developments in RiverPlace, such as The Strand and South Waterfront, the opening of the streetcar line adjacent to the property, and the pre-development work completed on the site," she said.

Mark Edlen of Gerding Edlen Development Co. said his firm would pass on bidding, just as it did last year.

Last January, developers Homer Williams and John Carroll both said they were considering bidding, but ultimately neither did. It remains to be seen whether they will this time around.

RiverPlace parcels 8 and 3

PDC acquired Parcel 8 in 1978 through a property exchange agreement with Pacific Power & Light. It acquired Parcel 3 the same year.

Parcel 8 must be sold prior to June 2008 in order for land sale proceeds to be used for repayment of the streetcar extension from Portland State University to RiverPlace.

Site location: Corner of Southwest River Drive and River Parkway

Size: Parcel 8 is 48,352 square feet; Parcel 3 is 91,476 square feet

Zoning: Central commercial with design review, greenway overlays

Floor-area ratio: 4 to 1 with potential for 7 to 1 with bonuses

Maximum height: 150 feet

Plan districts: Central City District and Downtown Sub-district

Environmental: Parcel 8 environmental remediation was completed in December 2006
http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...28791&userID=1

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:33 PM
Karma Police

150' is too short for that site, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland