HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Apparently Vranich is the buyer.
Where is he getting all this money? Has he taken up money laundering or something? Half the city is going to be Vranich buildings at this rate.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:07 PM

He's not allowed to knock it down, right? I can't remember if it has heritage designation or not. I'm scared now...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:44 PM
Hammer'd

As much as Vranich gets things done, his track record with heritage buildings isn't so good. He knocked HMP to the ground and let the Federal building sit abandoned for over a decade before knocking half of that to the ground as well. I really don't think this would be a good sign at all.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:08 PM

zero parking here so I can't imagine the building will stay as is.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Apparently Vranich is the buyer.
Which Vranich?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Which Vranich?
not sure but im assuming papa V.

in the end he calls the shots

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:29 PM

I remember reading a few years ago that the city's heritage committee wanted to fast-track this building.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
not sure but im assuming papa V.

in the end he calls the shots
Absolutely. Dennis gotta kiss dat pinky ring...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 2:52 PM

Here's the thing. The current owner has been working with a strategy to renovate the existing building since 2011 and has been unsuccessful in attracting new tenants based on that strategy. If the new buyer (be it actually Vranich as rumoured or some other developer) has a plan to redevelop the site that does not preserve the existing site, that should not be looked at as a failure.

If the HRCC, with the support of the City of Hamilton's urban renewal department, was unable to develop a feasible plan to redevelop the site and preserve the existing structures, how can we place that same expectation on the future owner of the site?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Here's the thing. The current owner has been working with a strategy to renovate the existing building since 2011 and has been unsuccessful in attracting new tenants based on that strategy. If the new buyer (be it actually Vranich as rumoured or some other developer) has a plan to redevelop the site that does not preserve the existing site, that should not be looked at as a failure.

If the HRCC, with the support of the City of Hamilton's urban renewal department, was unable to develop a feasible plan to redevelop the site and preserve the existing structures, how can we place that same expectation on the future owner of the site?
Uhhh, yes it should be. It's a historic building in a prime location in a major Canadian city...tearing it down should not be an option unless there's major structural issues

There's a near infinite amount of parking lots and run-of-the-mill, non-history buildings in Hamilton that could be used for redevelopment if the goal is simply to throw a building on it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:10 PM

Here we go again.
Great looking historic building with good bones and we're already talking redevelopment? Does this happen in other cities?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gore View Post
Here we go again.
Great looking historic building with good bones and we're already talking redevelopment? Does this happen in other cities?
Yes

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:40 PM

Yeah it happens all the time. The reason to get this building is it's charm, some of which I'm expecting them to keep, but I will not be surprised if I see a tower rising out of the base.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 11:12 PM

I happened to ride by yesterday and noticed a small vacant lot across the street that could be used for parking. I assume it's impossible to dig it under a building that's already there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
As much as Vranich gets things done, his track record with heritage buildings isn't so good. He knocked HMP to the ground and let the Federal building sit abandoned for over a decade before knocking half of that to the ground as well. I really don't think this would be a good sign at all.
Are you sure it was Vranich that knocked down HMP?

I thought he had tried to purchase the corner lot, to develop along with the rest, but that the two parties couldn't come to terms.

If you're right, then it does seem like an odd decision was made. But I think you might have the wrong guy, at least in the case of the corner lot remaining empty.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:53 PM

^it's no problem at all for a competent builder to dig under an existing structure. Though many others have collapsed buildings by attempting to do it the wrong way, or too fast.

There are only a couple builders in Hamilton experienced enough to reject the commonly accepted notion that it's impossible to excavate below a single storey in Hamilton because of water below the surface.

Outside of deserts, what city doesn't have water just a few feet under the surface?

Toronto's Union Station recently received this treatment while Canada's busiest train station continued to operate above.

Illustration of the column replacement process for the Union Station dig down project, image supplied by NORR Architects to http://urbantoronto.ca

Why aren't these workers in SCUBA gear, I wonder?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 7:03 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
Are you sure it was Vranich that knocked down HMP?

I thought he had tried to purchase the corner lot, to develop along with the rest, but that the two parties couldn't come to terms.

If you're right, then it does seem like an odd decision was made. But I think you might have the wrong guy, at least in the case of the corner lot remaining empty.
He did try to purchase the corner lot but he had also originally planned to incorporate the facade of the HMP building into the hotel development long before the final renderings were drawn up. At some point along the process he decided against it and knocked the HMP down. He has owned HMP and the Federal building land since the late 1990's or early 2000's, I believe. He sat on it for a long time before development happened.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:04 PM

Stinson says he’s gunning for Cannon Knitting Mills

Hamilton Spectator By Teviah Moro | FRI, APR 08, 2016

The developer who converted an old Hamilton school to condos says he's made a play for the Cannon Knitting Mills — a highly watched transaction on which many are pinning hopes for inner-city renewal.

"We did put an offer in," Harry Stinson said Friday.

Stinson says his offer was registered among other credible competitors on the table for the vacant and deteriorating knitting mills, which occupies a massive footprint next to the Beasley neighbourhood's namesake park.

The Toronto-based developer behind the Stinson School Lofts and a similar project planned for the former Gibson school on Barton East is keeping his fingers crossed.

"There were a lot of parties, very credible and serious, who had the potential of closing on it and would like to close on it."

When contacted Friday, listing agent Derek Doyle declined to comment on the pending sale saying he was bound by confidentiality.

However, Doyle insisted there were "inaccuracies" in Stinson's remarks but refused to elaborate further.

"I can't confirm or deny information," he said. "It's inaccurate."

When asked to respond to Doyle's remarks, Stinson said he was "mystified."

The developer said he was under the impression there were multiple offers and insisted his was one of them.

"So I don't know what he means by inaccuracies."

The Knitting Mills, at Cannon and Mary streets, was listed in late January for $2.4 million.

In late February, the city announced in a report that the owner of the 110,000-square-foot-plus property, Forum Equity Partners, had a "firm deal" to sell.

The buyer and seller asked that details not be released until the title changed hands, Glen Norton, the city's manager of urban renewal, said at the time.

Ten years ago, Forum, a Toronto-based development firm, partnered with the city to buy the knitting mills for $200,000.

The joint venture, called the Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation (HRCC), was meant to encourage development in the core. It saw the city lend Forum $100,000 to purchase the property, which was built between 1854 and 1950.

City council recently voted to dissolve the HRCC, whose only asset had been the contaminated knitting mills land, a property that failed to garner any tenants despite several attempts.

Jason Farr, councillor for the area, said Friday he didn't know any players in the running for the property.

Farr said he hasn't pushed for information because the transaction is a private sale between Forum and bidders.

"I think no matter what, it's going to be a good news story in that building."

Farr did say, however, that's he's heard there's more than one "proponent waiting in the wings."

Stinson called the knitting mills a "wonderful building" with some challenges such as contamination and a footprint that's squeezed for parking.

"It's not a slam-dunk, single-family-home purchase."

He believes the best bet is a mixture of residential — lofts, in particular — retail and commercial.

The former industrial property is close to downtown, the farmers' market and the James North GO station. "It's very rare that you get one that is easier to walk to City Hall than it is to drive."

Stinson said Beasley — one of Hamilton's more impoverished neighbourhoods — is on the cusp of significant change.

"But realistically, for a neighbourhood to turn around, someone has to do something crazy. Big. Something has to happen that you can't ignore."

Both Stinson and Doyle declined to say when a deal is expected to close. Forum didn't respond to a request for comment Friday.

tmoro@thespec.com

905-526-3264 | @TeviahMoro

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/64...nitting-mills/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:50 AM

The people at Ambitious kind of rub me the wrong way, not quite sure what it is.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:45 PM
Ham-burgher

While I appreciate most of what Harry's been doing here (slow as the progress has been, and despite his grandiose but failed entrance) I hope we see a new player in the local development scene complete the sale and take this on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton