HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Wow, they really are right up to the Penn Museum...
Yes, it really is quite amazing as they are using dynamite as well to get through the bedrock.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:07 AM

3/23/17

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
3/23/17

Looks like they have reached as deep as they are going to go.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Anyone have an update on the foundation work? Pics?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Anyone have an update on the foundation work? Pics?
I stopped by last week end, and during the prior week a huuuuge amount of rock had been taken out of the pit. Before that all the work on the east end had been taking place around the edges. My guess is that they are at or very near the bottom of the hole. I would guess that the pit is at least 60' to 70' deep.
But on the western end there are two prepared areas where it looks like all that would be needed prior to a concrete pour is to have the rebar installed. These two pit type areas are very close together, maybe they are where the core structures will be built in the future. Its been this way for over a month.
Some time ago just as the site was being cleared plans were released that showed only two(?) levels of underground parking. Based on what has been done to date I think its a good bet to think that additional parking has been added (Penn has a real love affair with parking, they can never have enough of it).
In terms of actual foundation work I think that more or less final plans would have to be decided on and approved (as if the City ever says "no" to Penn)before any work can be done. To do a foundation you sortof got to know very specifically what's going to be built on top of it. I know that Penn likes to keep its cards covered for as long as possible, but before too long from now they should be releasing their plans.
I wonder if the final plans will show that the hospital has gotten bigger or smaller? Any updates from inside HUP central?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Yes, it really is quite amazing as they are using dynamite as well to get through the bedrock.
I know it's apples and oranges, but shouldn't they use the opportunity to replace those janky windows on the museum? Even if they're blacked out, now's as good a time as any to change them out.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:10 PM

the foundation is a large mat/raft foundation for the north part. Should pour part near Memorial Day, bigger part in June.....Reinforcing is being set now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:55 PM

I am not sure how these photos went side by side instead of vertically. I would appreciate some editorial help here. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:55 PM

Delete duplicate

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:56 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by Elevator1; Apr 27, 2017 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:58 PM

Wow, that foundation is well underway. Thanks for posting those. Kind of strange, though, given this quote from only 3 months ago:

Quote:
Exactly what the structure will look like is unknown. “The final design of the building is still being fine-tuned,” said Susan Phillips, Penn Medicine’s senior vice president for public affairs.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...work-on-a.html

They obviously have the basic structural aspects of the building worked out, since you kinda need to know that to design and construct the foundation. But I guess they haven't--or at least hadn't as of 3 months ago--settled on the final finishes, and perhaps even some of the contours, of the building itself. And as far as I know, Penn's full board of trustees still hasn't formally approved the final design and construction budget. Perhaps at the upcoming meeting in June?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post

I am not sure how these photos went side by side instead of vertically. I would appreciate some editorial help here. Thanks.
Thanks, Elavator1. Great shots and detail on them. The mat/slab is yuge as evidenced from the photos.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:14 AM

4/26/2017

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:44 AM

Progress

Last week I said I thought the main dig looked to be near the end. Well last Saturday I went down to the work level (in a truck nobody stops you), and the digging is definitely continuing, and based on what I could see around the edges this main pit still has quite a ways to go.
The digging is all through rock. What I saw were crane mounted hammers, the kind that are used to break up concrete, that would 'hammer' through a foot or two in many different but close together 'holes'. Then a bucket crane would scope up a load, and surprisingly everything was dropped into some kind of hammer mill. Large rocks would fall off the top, and then everything would broken up into softball sized, and smaller, pieces. These would get loaded into a dump truck and hauled away. I was surprised because I wonder what the reason is to go to the extra expense of getting everything down to a certain size.
Anyways, this is going to be one very deep hole.
While HUP is probably going to be building a 5-star hospital above ground, they are certainly spending buckets of bucks for underground parking. They've got to keep up with the Jones', which in this case is CHOP and all their underground parking. I'm not complaining; I'm impressed!

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Last week I said I thought the main dig looked to be near the end. Well last Saturday I went down to the work level (in a truck nobody stops you), and the digging is definitely continuing, and based on what I could see around the edges this main pit still has quite a ways to go.
The digging is all through rock. What I saw were crane mounted hammers, the kind that are used to break up concrete, that would 'hammer' through a foot or two in many different but close together 'holes'. Then a bucket crane would scope up a load, and surprisingly everything was dropped into some kind of hammer mill. Large rocks would fall off the top, and then everything would broken up into softball sized, and smaller, pieces. These would get loaded into a dump truck and hauled away. I was surprised because I wonder what the reason is to go to the extra expense of getting everything down to a certain size.
Anyways, this is going to be one very deep hole.
While HUP is probably going to be building a 5-star hospital above ground, they are certainly spending buckets of bucks for underground parking. They've got to keep up with the Jones', which in this case is CHOP and all their underground parking. I'm not complaining; I'm impressed!
As long as you were down there with a truck, you could at least have helped haul away some of that.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:45 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:38 PM

Added the Penn logo to the top of the rendering now - from the article above:

[IMG]

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 11:09 PM

Penn Medicine introduces $1.5 billion patient tower under construction

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...struction.html

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:11 AM

Video posted a few hours ago by Penn Medicine on their Twitter. This was probably shown at the announcement tonight - it has a lot of insight on the mission of the building, construction details and planning, and renderings:

Video Link

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:50 PM

Bad news, according to the video, they're going to take down the FMC sometime in the not too distant future:

Some of these renderings don't look too bad all things considered. Yes it is a giant boat, but a lot of that is due to (extremely important) function over form. If it's not a poopy brown I think that'll help make this look a lot nicer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive