HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:48 PM

Most and least religious neighborhood of your city

It's probably easier to answer the former rather than the latter.

In Toronto, for most religious I'd say it's either Bathurst and Lawrence - an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood (the 2 census tracts to the south of this intersection are 60% Jewish by religion - the vast majority being Orthodox) or Thorncliffe Park, a predominantly Pakistani Muslim apartment complex which resisted the implementation of an updated sex-ed curriculum in Ontario.

Least religious - hard to say. Most gentrified or gentrifying inner neighborhoods are very nonreligious. My guess though would be the Annex-U of T-Kensington Market area, or maybe the Riverdale area of the east end (both areas have a mix of hipsters, students, mature gentrifiers and Chinese immigrants).

There may be a tendency of immigrants from countries where religion was supressed - Chinese and those from the FSU for example - to become more religious here. Some Russian Jews get into Chabad and that sort of thing. Chinese Christians - though a minority of the Chinese community - tend to be more fundamentalist/born-again than "mainline."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 11:44 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

likely my part of universty city, the jewish orthodox area in which i live. nothing comes close.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 12:30 AM

San Francisco is a very secular city but probably its Hispanics are its most religious residents and they are still concentrated in the Mission District.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
likely my part of universty city, the jewish orthodox area in which i live. nothing comes close.
Are University City and Cleveland Heights twins separated at birth?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 11:17 AM

I was in town to fill in the fridge this morning.
Today's Saturday, Sabbath. There's a Jewish community over my area of Greater Paris, that of Créteil / Maisons-Alfort / Alfortville.
Then I passed a bunch of people strictly dressed as supposedly Orthodox Jews.

I'm astonished by this current trend by some French Jews. They weren't used to this at all just 10 or so years ago.

My feelings about that are mixed. On one hand, I find it good that they can express themselves the way they like it.
On the other, I'm scared of a conflict, as I suspect this is all caused by the rise of radical Islam over some part of the French Muslim community, and those useless clothing rules that I dislike.

Our place was not designed for religious communities living in fear and violent rivalries.
People are supposed to live, make business and kids all together here.

It is a noticeable fact now. Whether right or wrong, we are witnessing some tough reaction of religious identities here.
If people are eventually wise enough to get together and make something spiritual, enlightened and powerful of it, to get over excessive materialism, I'll surely be the happiest dude in Paris.
But if it's only about their retarded selfish identities... Well, I guess I'll just have to learn how to use a gun, just in case of real bad trouble.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 12:29 PM

We just got a good idea here.
We should officially enforce a 3-day long weekend.

Friday for the Muslims, so they can finally pray in peace.
Saturday for the Jews, so they can finally pray at ease.
Sunday for... Well, for everyone anyway.

Of course this should be flexible enough to let anyone work whenever they want or need to.
Some folks are completely addicted to work and wouldn't ever stop business.
You got to think about those too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:27 PM

In NYC, any hard-core Orthodox Jewish neighborhood would probably be "most religious". South Williamsburg, Borough Park, Midwood or Crown Heights (all Brooklyn) would be obvious examples (though different groups occupy these areas).

"Least religious" would probably be gentrified areas, especially those more resembling the Seattle/SF demographic rather than the traditional NY demographc (which, like the whole Northeast Corridor, tends to be at least nominally "religious"). Places where the real "religion" is outdoorsy activities and the like. Park Slope would be a good example.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:40 PM

Most - anywhere Muslim.

Least - Islington?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Somerville (MA) and Cambridge (MA) have to be pretty nonreligious. Where there is intellect and science, there is a lack of religion.

Pretty much most university based neighborhoods, there is a good chance that the % of non-believers is high. Exception of Liberty University, but we don't speak of such a horrible place.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 4:00 PM

In any case, I firmly believe that it's most important for us guys born to and raised in educated Christian families that the Lord totally stood against the religious establishment, cause it's been nasty, only worried about their privileges.

Establishment has always been unfair, through entire human history, because they want status quo.
They are opposed to progress and knowledge, simply because they think current state of facts is in their favor.

If you are a Christian, whether Orthodox, Catholic or Protestant, you know damn well you are outrageously lucky and spoiled. Never forget about that.
We are the fucking luckiest, which involves a whole heavy load of responsibility and tolerance.

And just make our only boss's teaching real in daily life, then we'll be very fine.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:24 PM
Never Dell

Um, our only boss? What the hell?

Bow down to our lord Ken Griffey Jr.! (We can all do this, right?)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Our only boss is the sun. Without the sun, we all die. The sun controls our lives. Talk about a controlling boss.

On-top of that, the boss has the nerve to retire one day, and the sun's retirement will kill us all. He's going to retire in a spectacular boom. What a retirement party it will be in several billion years for the workaholic boss we call the sun.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:28 PM
Never Dell

Shouldn't we go a little longer term and non-localized, like the galaxy?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Nah... because so long as we have religion and keep cutting science budgets, we won't reach the nearest star probally ever.

Maybe if we lived in Triton, we could survive, living underground, but then again, we can't even handle the Polar Vortex. Whats going to happen when its −445 Fahrenheit outside? Cancel school for the day?

But even than, the supernova would decimate Triton. But I do hope civilization reaches interstellar planet traveling on a large scale. We won't be around, probally somewhere else as our carbon atoms and star dust components fuse with other life supporting materials and somehow our molecules are part of a creature. With my luck, I'll probally be a alien Chicken.

Some alien creature will be eating me as a chicken wing at some KFC on the far side of the Galaxy.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Bow down to our lord Ken Griffey Jr.! (We can all do this, right?)
Bwahaha, who the heck is this?

I'd never heard of him before googling him because of YOU...
Damn!

Dude, you play soccer, basketball or rugby (over 100 head traumas recorded for the last Top 14 in France, that is your real hardcore "manly" sport), or you play nothing!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Our only boss is the sun. Without the sun, we all die. The sun controls our lives. Talk about a controlling boss.

On-top of that, the boss has the nerve to retire one day, and the sun's retirement will kill us all. He's going to retire in a spectacular boom. What a retirement party it will be in several billion years for the workaholic boss we call the sun.
This idea is as old as mankind itself.

A solar deity has been and still is very common all around the world.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:10 PM

Orthodox Jews have to live close to their synagogues, so they tend to be very clustered in these areas. Any major Orthodox Jewish area in a city is going to be among a city's most religious.

Muslims would be more separated residentially by nationality, and immigrants from certain Muslim countries are more likely to be religious than others. For example, immigrants from Pakistan are more religious than those from Iran (and the vast majority of Pakistani immigrants here in Toronto are Muslim - a significant minority of those from Iran are not and fewer of the Muslims are very religious).

A Hispanic neighborhood or white ethnic Catholic neighborhood is going to have at least a good number of religious Catholics, but they live alongside a lot of less religious Catholics too.

Black neighborhoods - whether African American or Caribbean - all have a significant number of born-again or evangelical churches (Baptist or Pentecostal).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Muslims would be more separated residentially by nationality, and immigrants from certain Muslim countries are more likely to be religious than others.
In the US case, aren't a lot of Muslims native-born African Americans too? This is less the case now than in the past due to more recent immigration though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_...s#Demographics

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/ny...3BC87A&gwt=pay

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:47 PM

I think it's also less common for places with Muslim neighborhoods in US cities to be the most religious part of town in their entire city, because Muslim populations are much lower percentages of most cities than very religious Christian (whether Catholic or Evangelical, etc.) or Jewish neighborhoods.

In Canada, the UK and some European cities probably more likely.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:49 PM

Somali areas in Minneapolis and Seattle may be the most religious parts of those cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions