HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 8:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Nothing's certain at this point. It could end up shorter, but also way taller.
I wonder though that Barnett would not exploit the tower's full potential. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 9:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Nothing's certain at this point. It could end up shorter, but also way taller.
I wonder though that Barnett would not exploit the tower's full potential. It just doesn't make any sense.
"way" taller would put this tower in the 2000+ foot range, that isn't happening.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
"way" taller would put this tower in the 2000+ foot range, that isn't happening.
way taller could mean anything 1650 ft 1700 ft anything..people stressing over an article 5 months old is ridiculous

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
It's definitely possible that it is referring to 111 w57th isn't it, though?
I don't think so. You know, at any given time, there are projects being worked on that we don't know about. But I do believe that it's more likely he was talking about plans for this tower. It's also more likely that the reason they haven't revealed plans for this building is because the design has been in a state of flux, and there is no final design yet. The NB permit hasn't been altered, it's still in process, but it will be in time if called for. Expect nice renderings when the design is final, as both Extell and Nordstrom want this building to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
The actual Nordstrom store will be 280'+ tall, so it will be about the same size as the adjacent building; I'd be surprised if there were setbacks for the store itself. It's going to be enormous.
I don't think there will be setbacks for the store, the floorplates are small enough as it is, and Nordstrom had specific design instructions for open floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
people stressing over an article 5 months old is ridiculous
It is ridiculous. We don't know what the height is going to be, for now it's officially going to be over 1,500 ft according to the building permits filed (taller than the 1,250 ft we thought we were getting). I wouldn't get too worked up over an offhand quote like the one in that article. It's the same as getting worked up over what Barnett said about using development rights.

So, for those inclined to get worked up, at least wait until you have something to be worked up about.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
way taller could mean anything 1650 ft 1700 ft anything..people stressing over an article 5 months old is ridiculous
The difference between a 1550 ft building and a 1650 ft building would hardly be noticeable let alone big but I agree people shouldn't jump to conclusions

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 6:30 PM

^Either way it's a major landmark in the making.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 7:27 PM

Unlike even 432P, WTC2, Tower Verre and everything either slated or approved for the West Side---and until the planned MidTown East re-zoning kicks in with 1 Vanderbilt as its presumptive centerpiece--we can say the following about this tower.
This project, both in size and scope, is a virtual game-winner (never mind *changer*) that has the potential to redefine the *North American* skyscraper in ways that till now were relegated to "what if" status.
What if one could actually erect without political impediment a super-iconic giant that combines the best elements of 30's-era gems like ESB, Chrysler, GE/RCA, 40 Wall, 20 Exchange Pl. etc. with *just enough* avant-gardism to respect the building's environment?
Well, now it's possible. And here's that once-in-a-more-than-one-generation chance to see what it's gonna look like.
This will indeed turn heads, perhaps with enough force to snap necks á la Will Sasso's Seagal parody.

Last edited by JayPro; Aug 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
An Optimistic Realist

They better not reduce the height regardless of the news. This building has to bring New York to new heights.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Does anyone have demo updates of the piano building Extell recently acquired?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
This building has to bring New York to new heights.
I don't think so. There's so much development going on in the city, if this one doesn't claim a new tallest to roof, another one will eventually. Of course, on a street of supertalls, which 57th will be, that extra height would give it a little something more and create a little more variety in height. We really don't want too many buildings of nearly the same height too close together. With this particular tower, most people will be concerned with the Nordstrom, but making it the highest skyscraper in the city makes it more than that. Whether it does or not though, by no means do I look at it as the only game in town.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 2:55 PM

^^ I will be very disappointed if they reduce the height of this building. It may not be our only bet for a skyline busting tower, but it certainly is our best bet for the near future.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:47 PM

I'm with Nyguy on this, regardless of how this tower turns out, there's so much momentum in NYC real estate that I'm sure we won't have to wait too long to see buildings reaching to new heights. Just look at the building a block down which was supposed to be a 700 footer not that long ago but may turn into a 1200 footer. Developers seem to be maximizing as much of the space they can build on as they can, and considering how scarce land to build on is getting in the city, I can only expect this trend to accelerate as demand is still strong for residential towers and office space is more and more outdated.
That said I will be quite disappointed if the building turns out shorter than advertised, this might be one of the most anticipated building in the city and all the anticipation is predicated on its height since there are no renderings. Unlike let's say a Tower Verre (which height deduction I still can't get over), most of us skyscraper enthusiasts are still quite exited about it getting built because the design is so bad ass, we can't say the same when it comes to the Nordstrom tower cause we just don't know what it looks like, so the excitement is constrained to what we expect will be the tallest building by roof height in the city; so yea I'll be very disappointed if it turns out shorter but that has no bearing on NYC and how it's skyline is evolving cause I'm pretty sure other tower will reach those heights sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
"What if one could actually erect without political impediment a super-iconic giant that combines the best elements of 30's-era gems like ESB, Chrysler, GE/RCA, 40 Wall, 20 Exchange Pl. etc. with *just enough* avant-gardism to respect the building's environment?"
This part of what u said reminded me that this tower could end up as a glassed-up shiny new take on gothic and art deco (awesome!). The ways u can prove it is that trends always comeback... the only thing we can hope is that they also comeback in the architecture world.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Of course, on a street of supertalls, which 57th will be, that extra height would give it a little something more and create a little more variety in height.
Do you know of any more supertall proposals for 57th street except for 432 Park Ave and One57 under construction and possibly Nordstrom tower and 111 57th?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 2:08 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I guess, but I don't want any project being limited from its full potential. This happened to Tower Verre and I don't want it to happen to this tower.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:16 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Do you know of any more supertall proposals for 57th street except for 432 Park Ave and One57 under construction and possibly Nordstrom tower and 111 57th?
RobertWalpole (still wish he wasn't banned from here, but oh well) listed some potential sites on SSC. Not all of these are on 57th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
1. On the south side of 57th between 5th and 6th, but closer to 6th, an entit y owns 3 adjacent lots, 2 of which are empty, and the small structure on the 3rd is largely (if not completely) empty. Clearly, the owner is trying to assemble a larger site. Next to these 3 lots, for instance, is a pretty large, white brick tower that houses all market rate rental s, and thus, could be cleared at will.

2. The Directors' Guild building will be redeveloped.

3. In time, the Ziegfeld Cinema will be redeveloped.

4. The Park Lane and 650 Madison may both get redeveloped. There are many more similar sites.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
^^ I will be very disappointed if they reduce the height of this building. It may not be our only bet for a skyline busting tower, but it certainly is our best bet for the near future.
I don't even know about that. Remember, we didn't expect this tower to go that high until permits were revealed. We didn't expect 109 W. 57th to top 1,000 ft, but it seems it will do that. But keep in mind that there are always towers in development in Manhattan, and we can see what the trend is for these residential buildings.

Quote:
There are no "official" developments on 57th street in the supertall class at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Solow Group has a big development site on the south side of 57th Street between 5th & 6th.

There's another sizable development site owned by Durst on the south side of 57th Street near 6th.

Then there's the CBS Superblock, which is the entire south of 57th Street between 10th and 11th. Ave.

On the East Side, there are also two development sites near the u/c 250 E. 57th Street.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 10:33 PM

Getting closer to reality, slowly but surely...

http://http://m.nypost.com/p/news/bu...Xy9bOqQ8Ox1BvJ

Nordstrom buys its 57th St. store, jumbo skyscraper pending

Quote:
Last Updated: 4:59 PM, August 26, 2013
Nordstrom will be settling on West 57th Street for the long haul.
The Seattle-based retailer has shelled out $102.5 million to own the site of its future Midtown flagship store, which will anchor one of the tallest buildings in the world, according to property records reviewed by The Post.
As first reported by The Post last June, the upscale chain will open its first New York department store at 225 W. 57th St. — with an entrance on the east side of Broadway.
The store will occupy the first seven floors of an 88-story residential condominium tower that will stretch 1,550 fee, according to property records.
That’s taller than the Empire State Building, which is 1,454 feet to the tip of its antenna, and nearly as tall as the upcoming One World Trade Center, whose official height of 1,776 feet is yet to be certified, but would also include its 408-foot tall spire.
Nordstrom, in public filings last week, said its new store, slated to open in 2018, will have 175,000 square feet of floor space. Last year, Nordstrom said the store will span 285,000 square feet.
A Nordstrom spokeswoman wasn’t immediately able to clarify whether plans for the store have been downsized. The larger figure also might include additional facilities such as mechanical space.
At $586 per square foot, it is likely that Nordstrom’s land purchase is a down payment for the future delivery of its store. The deal also could give Nordstrom control of the site should something go awry with its development by New York real-estate mogul Gary Barnett.
A spokesman for Barnett’s Extell Development didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
Last week, Barnett — now armed with more than $100 million to begin development of the giant tower — cleared the way for Nordstrom’s payment by purchasing the last piece of an odd-shaped land puzzle between West 57th and 58th streets that will become the site of the project.
Barnett bought the last holdout — the 20.2-foot-wide Beethoven piano building at 223 W. 58th St. for $25 million.
At the same time, Nordstrom became responsible for a token $1 million mortgage from a Blackstone entity, while Barnett obtained a new $300 million mortgage from Blackstone and paid off a previous HSBC loan of just under $250 million.
Barnett has agreed to convey the completed store to Nordstrom as a condominium. No condominium plan is yet filed.
The Nordstrom deal was announced last June by Mayor Bloomberg and Barnett along with Erik and Peter Nordstrom.
To date, the city Buildings Department has not approved plans for the new building.
Meanwhile, Beethoven piano store owner Carl Demler is now in contract to buy a building across the street, said his broker Ronen Korin of Manhattan Connection.
“He wasn’t so eager to sell,” added Korin, leading to the high price for the small building on what was known as Piano Row.
The sale to Barnett also wiped out previously paid off property tax liens on Demler’s building dating back to 1996 and 1999.
Nordstrom has also closed the Soho space that was the site of its announcement last year that was occupied by Treasure & Bond, a 3-year-old venture that was supporting city children’s charities.
That retail condo is owned by city comptroller candidate and former Gov. Eliot Spitzer.
lois@betweenthebricks.com

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:24 AM

Sorry to say, but if this one doesn't live up to its full height then you all may be screwed.

The way I see it, there is a massive assortment of office space going up (Hudson Yards, WTC, etc) and certainly a ton of high end residential. Now, I know residential is hot right now, but how many super-lux condo's can NY absorb? It will slow eventually (and probably soon with so many supertalls being built).

There aren't gonna be many more supertall office complexes going up soon (since it will take some time to absorb all the previously mentioned space). I also imagine that their aren't going to be too many more supertall residentials going up (at least not many going over 1100ft).

So all in all I think this is the best chance NY has of getting something over 1500ft for a very long time (and maybe forever). I mean really, in a century NY has only built a few buildings over 1200ft (to roof).

This is why I hope this building goes to it's proposed height and beyond.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive