HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Little Mountain Redevelopment | Proposed

Found the official site >> http://www.littlemountainplan.ca/index.html

Anyone have any more info on this?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:30 AM

Where is my steak?

Maybe it's time to create a thread for Little mountain. BC housing just issued the RFP for demolition of the project, it's a large undertaking and is going to be expensive. The site apparently has quite a bit of asbestos, as it does lead paint, lead, mercury, PCBs, hydrocarbon (used to use heating oil). Demo will be in 3 phases and must be complete by whichever come earlier Dec 30, 2010 or 88 days from the issuance of rezoning to Holborn Properties.

Current zoning allows up to 1.5 FSR (if underground parking provided) the existing site is .27FSR. So since the site is 664,725sqft that gives us a current allowance of just shy of 1 Million sqft. Pretty sure they'll be asking for a bit more.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:48 AM

wow, i can't wait for this to happen! i'm guessing it could be like a mini-Woodwards, with the developer given more density and allowed to build market units after promising to build social housing units.

Given that the lot is 15.3 acres, there's a lot of potential.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 3:30 PM

Wow, I haven't even heard of them doing anything with this spot, and I live quite close to it. I used to know someone too that lived there years ago. They kind of remind me of the housing they had to build in England after the war.

I wonder how big it would be. There is also the empty spot on the northeast corner at 33rd/Main, the now empty doughnut place has a nice corner lot to develop on. Perhaps this area could push up a rail connection on the calendar.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 3:57 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That's strange I had looked for a thread on Littlemountian and couldn't find it.

Anyways, the project won't resemble Woodwards, but closer to a Collingwood/Joyce concept when built out. At least that's the plan, of course with Holborn you just never know. Don't expect to see a rail link though as it's within walking distance to the Rav line

The donut store site is going to be a 4 story project, I beleive it's called "the block"

Last edited by jlousa; Sep 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:16 PM

isn't there a place called "the block" u/c on e. 12th, just off kingsway?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:03 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Anyways, the project won't resemble Woodwards, but closer to a Collingwood/Joyce concept when built out. At least that's the plan, of course with Holborn you just never know. Don't expect to see a rail link though as it's within walking distance to the Rav line
That's quite massive. The Joyce/Collingwood area is pretty big, and pretty nice. I would hope the expand it more though. Back with Little Mountain, that's quite amazing as it will be very close to the King Edward plans...

If you guys haven't seen the Busby Perkins + Will EcoDensity plan/information brochure/response that Jlousa has posted, http://www.busbyperkinswill.ca/media...tyBrochure.pdf, you can see that there are many ambitious plans for the Cambie Corridor. There's a lot going on planned for that area already, and now seeing this, it's kind of even more amazing.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:51 AM

any updates here....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 9:13 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Progress is being made, although slowly, lots of info in the latest council report although not much we didn't know. Some interesting tidbits. Holborn will be paying just over $600K to the city to undergo the rezoning process.

Not to surprising but sure to cause a rift between the city and the community planing committee.
Quote:
City staff acknowledge that buildings over four storeys are not supported by the RP/SC Vision, but believe taller buildings and higher densities should be considered, as suggested by EcoDensity Initial Action A-2: Rezoning Policy for Larger Greener sites.
Seems like the citys fears were somewhat well placed.
Quote:
Demolition of Existing Buildings

The existing tenants will be relocated and the resulting vacant units will not be re-rented. As buildings become vacant, there is an increased risk of fire and vandalism. The City and BC Housing believe that the existing buildings should be demolished as soon as they become vacant. The City will provide demolition permits in advance of a Development Permit.
This is an interesting tidbit, I'm sure it'll draw a lot of fingerpointing
Quote:
It is noted that while BC Housing and Holburn may have a financial arrangement between them, the City is not party to the details of that agreement. There is some concern that the arrangement may have created certain development expectations for the site, and that those expectations could go beyond what results from the planning process. Through the planning process, City staff will make every effort to understand and work towards achievement of the proponent’s objectives, however, it must be understood that the interests and objectives of the community and the City will need to be balanced with those aspirations.
Scoping Process
Oct 2009 Program Scoping and Background
Nov 2009 Program Report to Council
Nov 2009 Recruit Staff, Arrange Process

Policy Process
Nov 2009 Initial community introductions
Dec 2009 Open Houses #1: Present background info, objectives, process.
Identify community issues
Jan – March 2010 Prepare initial redevelopment concepts
April 2010 Open Houses #2: Present initial concepts for feedback
April – June 2010 Refine concepts, draft Policy Framework
June 2010 Open Houses #3: Present refined concept(s) & draft policies for
feedback
July – Aug 2010 Amend and refine Policy Framework
Aug 2010 Concurrence, submit Council report, notify
Sept 2010 Policy Framework to Council

Source
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...ents/penv1.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 11:22 PM

thanks for the update

I really hope for some high rises on site!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 7:55 PM
ON3P Skis

Little Mountain Open Houses

From the pamphlet:

Please join us to view development concept options and provide your feedback. City staff, the proponent (Holborn Properties), and representatives from the community will be available to receive your input and answer any questions.

Saturday June 12th, 11am-2pm
Riley Park Community Centre Multipurpose Room
50 East 30th Avenue

Tuesday June 15th, 5:30pm-8:30pm
Riley Park Community Centre Gymnasium
50 East 30th Avenue

Look for presentation materials and program updates on our website:
www.vancouver.ca/littlemountain

-----

I'll definitely be there on the Tuesday, this development will definitely be changing the area.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 8:28 PM
testify

hardcore misrise density! another olympics village! faster, pussycat, kill, kill!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:53 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't think the density will be at OV levels. I'll post some preliminary sketches later tonight.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Okay so I lied, I forgot to post them yesterday. Here are 6 different options for LMH. Please note these are very preliminary and will change, but they will provide an idea of what Holborn/JKMC have planned for the area. I apologize for not being able to better size the images, I'm working via a netbook so I think I did pretty good. Enjoy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 7:22 AM
testify

wOW! thanks j-lo. love how prominently water features in all of them. i especially like the balance struck in 2(b) between public access to water and water as a front/rear home landscape element. i also really like the squares, jagged walkways, and these other elements that look like they'd create a number of potential gathering places and points of intersection. hopefully, they go in that direction. neat.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 8:07 AM
ON3P Skis

FYI, these are also in PDF format on the city's website, along with a whole bunch of sketches and comments from previous open houses.

Personally I like 2a, 2b, 3 and 6. I think it's important that there be some sort of neighbourhood centre type area, good access through the site (whether it be pedestrian, bike, and/or vehicle) and excellent access to Queen E Park. Number 1 should immediately be thrown out. I look forward to seeing what they've come up with at the new open house as well as ideas for re-zoning the RS-1 area just NE of the site (between Main and 33rd).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 9:09 PM

General comments:

For the plans that consolidate the parcels I don't like the way that parallel lanes are established at the boundary of the site - that seems to be a bit too "enclave-ish".

That said, I don't think that a lot of traffic should be funnelled down the existing lanes because people's garages back onto those lanes and you're bound to have accidents with cars blindly backing out and high volumes of cross traffic circumnavigating the project or heading to the project's underground garages.

I would favour a surface street through the development - but not to the extent seen in Option 1 (since that limits variability in building footprints). I think that the surface street should be an "L" shape and allign with the street to the north of 33rd Ave. and Main & 36th Ave.

So I like Option 2a the most - but I'd rather see perpendicular streets.

I don't think that having only 2 garage entrances is practical for such a large project. Anyone who lives in a condo knows that garage gates frequently break down, especially with high use. In addition, having just 2 garage entrances imposes a substantially higher impact on residents near the gates (within and outside the project) than if there were multple gates along an interior roadway. Also, having a garage entrance off of a busy street like 33rd Ave. does not make sense. Left turns into the garage (with cars waiting at the gate to scan in) will back-up traffic.

The proposals with ponds looks a bit too "Bayshore-ish" and could potentially be too "enclave-ish" (since water features also act as passive "barriers") - I think I'd rather see it more integrated into the community - by having a street run through it. The site is adjacent to QE Park - it doesn't need a ton of green space within it.

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 5:16 PM
ON3P Skis

Anyone go to the Open House on Saturday? I'll be there tonight for the 2nd one.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 11:38 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
These images are from the above post, bull I'm pulling them out of quotes to comment on them.
I was at the Little Mountain Open House last night, and some of the above options have been slightly tweaked and then narrowed down to 4.

This option remains option 1, labeled "Grid Scenario". This was easily the most disliked option. Most of the comments showed that the neighbourhood wants something different here, something that retains a bit of the history of the site, and something that can be a little special. I imagine by the time the next open house in September rolls around the Grid type scenario will be dropped entirely.

This option, slightly tweaked was labeled the "Central Street Scenario". The reddish-brown colour is for vehicle traffic and on the revised plan the connection from the village centre area (bottom right), north towards the lane has been eliminated. On this plan the only vehicle access points would be off of 33rd Ave and Main Street. This was the most commented on plan, with a lot of the comments simply being "This is the best plan". Many others though (either through posted comments or conversation) were worried about the thru-traffic on the site. People thought that it would become a shortcut for people travelling down Main to 33rd/29th or visa versa. Obviously that is retarded as the speed limit will likely be 30km/h and the street will be interrupted be speed bumps or traffic islands (or both). People also liked that Ontario remained free of car access as many want to keep Ontario as a dedicated Greenway/Bikeway. Personally this is my favourite option though would suggest adding vehicle access off of 37th/Quebec to just ease the fact that there are only 2 access points. A couple residents and I also discussed the possibility of right-in, right-out access off of Onatrio to the underground parkade only. It would still limit car traffic on the surface of the site but would allow the large numbers of vehicles that will be using this site another option for getting in and out.

This is now option 3, "Lane Street Scenario". Understandably this option is hated by the neighbours who would see their previously quite lanes turned into fairly busy streets (as no other site access exists for vehicles). It was also commented on that the 3 "blocks" of buildings seem to inclusive. The amount of water on the site would close off the rest of the neighbourhood using the site.

This is now option 4, "Squares & Plazas Scenario". This option has been tweaked the most. Imagine this plan but remove the vehicle access from 33rd avenue, and add 2 access points from Ontario (both 1/3rd block from 33rd and 37th respectively). Each of these roads would turn into cul-de-sacs and there would be no thru-traffic at all on site (for vehicles). Some people liked this plan, especially the idea of lots of cul-de-sacs, and some people were horrified that traffic would be driven to Ontario st.

All of these plans included tons of bikepaths and pedestrian paths and all of them focussed on putting the village centre in the bottom right (SE) corner of the site. It is likely the Little Mountain Neighbourhood House (not to be confused with a community centre) would be relocated here as the current neighbourhood house is bursting at the seams.

As for more general information/comments from the open house, they are below:

- There will be at least 1000 housing units on the site. Don't think of this as a little Woodwards, think of this as a BIG woodwards. No matter the size of the site, at least 234 units must be social housing (to replace those that were eliminated). If the development is larger (1500, 2000, 2000+ units), the city is requesting/demanding (depending on who you talk to) that at least 20% of the total number of units be social housing. Total size of the site is still very much up in the air. Under current zoning, approximately 1000 units could be created over an average height of 4 stories. Rumors were circulating with residents that there will be at least 2000 units because of the agreement between Colliers/Holborn/BC Housing. The architect wouldn't give any concrete answers, but hinted that it will be bigger rather than smaller.

- He also noted there will be at least 1000 parking spaces will be on site and surface parking will be virtually non-existant.

- Building heights have not been determined. It seemed like the neighbourhood expects 4-8 stories, but realistically there will be some more mid-rise-ish buildings, with many throwing the dreaded "tower" word around.

- There were a lot of comments by people saying they really wanted to see lots of green space in the development. Nevermind that Queen E and Riley Park are next door (or basically next door), they want tons of green space.

- Lots of anti-car comments, especially revolving around keeping traffic off of Ontario and 37th. They all cite the wondrous transit and biking in the area to make up for it. Nevermind that there will more than 1500 people living in the area, much of the neighbourhood thinks they will all be biking and taking transit. The reality will assuredly be different.

- Green roofs are "obviously a given" to quote the architect's representative

- A traffic study will be included with the next sets of plans and discussed at the next open house. Obviously the size of the site will be a little more narrowed down by that point.

- There won't be much retail on site. The neighbourhood is pretty adamant that commercial stays on Main st.

- The adjacent RS-1 neighbourhood is very involved in the process. A couple residents are trying to round up everyone else (I believe there are 32 or 33 lots) and convince the city to entertain rezoning to some sort of CD-1 to tie themselves in with Little Mountain. Mainly because they expect a juicy developer payout allowing them to remain close in the neighbourhood and get more cash in the bank.

I think that this neighbourhood is going to be pretty frickin' cool. I imagine there will be some small towers, maybe 10-12 stories, because there are going to have to be a lot of units on site to pay for the social housing portion. They plan to save as many of the existing trees as possible, but there is going to be one hell of a parkade and building around large tree roots is going to be tricky at best. I am really curious to see what the traffic study says. The transit in the area is fantastic, the new 33 bus that runs along 33rd/29th/Cambie to the King Ed RAV line station is great and the site is boarded on two size by Greenways/Bikeways. All that being said this development is going to be a big one and there will be lots of cars that come with it. Traffic moves well on Main Street (this is why I think access from 37th/Quebec feeding another entrance to Main is important) and 33rd/29th to a certain extent, but Ontario and 37th are quiet. Not sure they will really remain that way.

I'll add more info if I can think of it. Please, if anyone else has something to add, or wants to correct me (my personal ideas for the site may have clouded my memory), feel free to do so. I look forward to seeing the info and comments from the open house on the web soon, and look forward to more info as September approaches.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 8:45 AM

Thanks for the synopsis.

I still like Option 2a the best. Option 2b sounds better than it was before, but I like the continuity offered by having a street through the project. It would also provide moe "eyes on the street" with vehicles driving through the site. It would also be less confusing for visitors than 3 separate access points.

I would expect Option 2a to have multiple garage access points from the internal roadway - but they are not marked on that plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver