HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:45 AM

I`m a little confused with this, as an example: (city's) is clearly what you were meaning but by 2020 how could NY grow to more then half of what its population is right now in only 4 years? Same with Boston.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I wouldn't say that. First of all, the American side of it, has a much bigger population weight. If it's declining, Toronto's growth won't be enough to counter balance it, specially as I don't see Toronto growing as fast as they used to be.

Also, we would only see one link of this chain of metro areas growing, while all the others were stagnant or declining.
The American side isn't shrinking.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 9:47 AM

The 6 largest CSAs are posting negative growth between 2010-2014: Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Youngstown, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Built-up (current, future):

neptis.org
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:31 PM

GTA+Central Ontario (an area larger than the Greater Golden Horseshoe) will be 13 million by 2041 (10 million in 2021?). It seems reasonable even counting with the low Canadian TFR.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm so glad Camp Pendleton exists for that very reason!
Exactly !

Its amazing how driving south down the 5, development literally drops off before 5 miles of hitting San Onofre power plant, literally just a wall where one side it suburbs and the next is just natural grass lands and coast line. Makes the drive to San Diego and back a little more bearable than if those 15-30 miles were fully developed. And totally thankful for camp Pendleton.

Sad thing is though that gap might get a little shorter in the very near future. Developers are already jumping on the idea that Since the power plant is going to be torn down soon, that the surrounding land needs to be developed asap. Sadly CA will almost certainly sell to the highest bidder. Talk about an interstate 5 that will most likely be gridlocked the entire way now.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 10, 2016 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 9:58 PM

More from São Paulo macrometropolitan area. Night pic:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 9:59 PM

Sorocaba - São Paulo

São José dos Campos - São Paulo

Campinas - São Paulo

Campinas -> Jundiaí

Jundiaí -> São Paulo

Sorocaba-Campinas / Bragança Paulista-São Paulo

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:10 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Exactly !

Its amazing how driving south down the 5, development literally drops off before 5 miles of hitting San Onofre power plant, literally just a wall where one side it suburbs and the next is just natural grass lands and coast line. Makes the drive to San Diego and back a little more bearable than if those 15-30 miles were fully developed. And totally thankful for camp Pendleton.

Sad thing is though that gap might get a little shorter in the very near future. Developers are already jumping on the idea that Since the power plant is going to be torn down soon, that the surrounding land needs to be developed asap. Sadly CA will almost certainly sell to the highest bidder. Talk about an interstate 5 that will most likely be gridlocked the entire way no.
There are also discussions of a massive airport on the south end of Camp Pendleton to replace SAN (SD Int'l). Would take many years, as would replacing San Onofre with housing. I-5 is already packed between SD and LA and needs to be widened. On that note, I don't think there are many metros that are connected with 2 8-lane freeways (I-5 and I-15).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
There are also discussions of a massive airport on the south end of Camp Pendleton to replace SAN (SD Int'l). Would take many years, as would replacing San Onofre with housing. I-5 is already packed between SD and LA and needs to be widened. On that note, I don't think there are many metros that are connected with 2 8-lane freeways (I-5 and I-15).
There's definitely a bottleneck on the 5 between the 405 in OC and the 805 in SD.

That whole corridor needs to be addressed in the future.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:23 AM

Mexicans just released their Intercensus and Mexico City metro area is still the most populated in Americas. "The Big 3", Mexico City (2015-2010), São Paulo (2014-2009) and New York (2014-2010):

MEXICO CITY ---------- 27,010,072 --- 25,824,016 --- 4.59%
SÃO PAULO ------------ 25,607,982 --- 24,060,934 --- 6.43%
NEW YORK ------------- 23,632,722 --- 23,076,664 --- 2.41%

Definition
Mexico City: Distrito Federal, Mexico State and Morelos
New York: CSA
São Paulo: Metropolitana de São Paulo and Macro Metropolitana Paulista mesoregions and Itanhaém microregion

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 12:53 PM

I was browsing on Wikipedia yesterday and I learned Indonesia carried a 2015 Census. Jakarta might be the largest metropolis in the world by now. Western Java numbers, which a proxy for an expanded Jakarta metro area.

--------------------------------- 2015 ---------- 2010 -------- 2000 ----------- Growth
Western Java -------- 68,756,731 --- 63,293,685 --- 52,183,449 --- 8.6% --- 21.3%

Western Java has 45,705 km². Tokyo counts 42.6 million in Kanto region; São Paulo is at 33 million in its macrometropolitan area; New York, 24 million in the CSA. All three, with similar size areas.

Jakarta has became (or about to become) a 70 million people metropolis growing at a 15%/decade rate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 9:11 PM

There is no way that the Jakarta metropolitan area topped 70 million people and stretches over basically one third of Java. Most of western Java consists of densely populated, yet rural areas, so the true population of Jakarta, as shown by the blue and magenta areas in the map, should be between 25 and 30 million people:

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 11:23 PM

The thread is about the metropolises of tomorrow. By 2030, there will probably be 85 million people in Western Java, and lots of those super dense rural areas will have been eaten by Jakarta and Bandung urban sprawl. More districts will be painted magenta by then.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I hope that happens, SD needs a new international airport, the current airport needs to be torn down and Downtown needs to expand on that land, maybe add some height.

Its amazing how the FAA and the Government allowed that airport to be so close to downtown SD. I was shocked one day to see an airplane literally cross the downtown towers with a little less than 200 feet of space between them. that's crazy and dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
There's definitely a bottleneck on the 5 between the 405 in OC and the 805 in SD.

That whole corridor needs to be addressed in the future.
True. Hopefully something more than the proposed bullet train happens to link California's big three. (LA, SD and SF)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
The thread is about the metropolises of tomorrow. By 2030, there will probably be 85 million people in Western Java, and lots of those super dense rural areas will have been eaten by Jakarta and Bandung urban sprawl. More districts will be painted magenta by then.
Jakarta has the potential to become the world's largest metropolitan area, but it will never stretch over the whole of West Java and it won't merge with 5 million strong Bandung either, unless Indonesia experiences another population explosion or American style sprawl.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:58 AM

^^
2030 is far ahead in future. Till then, Western Java might have reached 80% urbanisation rate. Most of those 85 million people or so will live in Jakarta or Bandung areas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Numbers from Chinese cities (2010 Census):

GUANGZHOU-SHENZHEN ------------- 38,477,930 --- 15,797 km²
SHANGHAI --------------------------------- 38,477,930 --- 18,837 km²

Guangzhou-Shenzhen --- Guangzhou, Foshan, Dongguan and Shenzhen prefectures
Shanghai --- Shanghai, Suzhou and Jiaxing

I believe even today they might already be regarded as ordinary metropolitan areas. They are both growing fast, and in the future they will probably capture neighbouring prefectures.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I hope that happens, SD needs a new international airport, the current airport needs to be torn down and Downtown needs to expand on that land, maybe add some height.

Its amazing how the FAA and the Government allowed that airport to be so close to downtown SD. I was shocked one day to see an airplane literally cross the downtown towers with a little less than 200 feet of space between them. that's crazy and dangerous.

True. Hopefully something more than the proposed bullet train happens to link California's big three. (LA, SD and SF)
I don't think we'll see SAN closing for at least 50+ years. The city just poured billions of dollars into a complete rebuild of terminal 2. Terminal 1 is scheduled for complete rebuild also. Harbor Drive has seen significant work as well. The central rental car facility is now open along Pacific Highway on the north edge of the airport and significant investment is scheduled along the north side of the airport for connectivity to the Trolley.

Tijuana Intl Airport is now accessible from SD via the CBX bridge.

As for the bullet train, HSR, SD isn't even included in Phase I or II. There won't be any funding left for it by the time they want to bring it here. Also, the corridor that is approved is along the 15 freeway, not the 5. It would go north to Escondido into Riverside County then turn west into LA. It would costs 10s of billions, and save almost no time for one traveling to DTLA due to the increase in mileage.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Another interesting case will be London expanded area (London, East and Southeast England). Over 25 million people will be living there by 2021 UK Census.

Jonesy55 (SSC)

Compared with the New York CSA (2010/2014): 23.1 million to 23.6 million. The English area probably overtook the American CSA in 2015. Impressive.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Jonesy55 (SSC)

Compared with the New York CSA (2010/2014): 23.1 million to 23.6 million. The English area probably overtook the American CSA in 2015. Impressive.
So a switch is flicked and all of a sudden London rockets past New York?

Seems like there are lot of short cuts in logic are being taken here in order to rank cities higher than they'd otherwise be.

Some of you guys should visit the Canada section - you'd feel right at home.

Just do a search for the booming metropolis called Okotoks and you'll see what I mean!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions